Got Your Insider Updates Right Here

Shaman

All the stuff that has been mentioned sounds great...the Star Tours bit is cool and all, but I really like the stuff going on with SSE.

imamouse

Thanks for another great update, ReDisniey E-Dew. It can be hard to break in at WDWMagic and the "old-timers" are often quick to throw a "newbie" under the bus. Hang in there and keep the news coming. :wave:

ssidiouss@mac.c

Since Enigma's constant negativity is cute, and since Star Wars nerds will jump for glee, let me see if I can point you in the right direction on what we're trying to do:

- If you "land" somewhere, don't you think you'd like to pop the top and get a better look?

- If somebody is trying to commandeer your ship, wouldn't it be cool if they said, "Hey, you with the gold necklace - yeah you! Who's in charge of this vessel? You're in a restricted travel zone, you know that?" "Careful Dan, the little girl in the back looks like she might be reaching for a laser pistol."

Those aren't actual lines and they probably wouldn't even fit in the ride, but I use them to give you an idea of what we can achieve.

DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! :sohappy: TY SO MUCH FOR THE INFO.. this ride sounds totally awesome.. love the idea.. brilliant stuff. And dude dont let the negative haters get you down.. your posts are appreciated so much by so many here.

Champion

I'm just happy to see more activity. It really seems like WDW is taking a turn for the better

Remember that some of these things are a couple of years off, at least. 09-10

Its basically assured that 08 is going to be very slow in terms of new attractions.

sknydave

'08 won't be too bad.. We'll see Midway Mania and it will be the first time most people get to see what's new in the Haunted Mansion and SSE.. Plus the rumored Space Mountain refurb (which I'm not up-to-date on)

ToTBellHop

it won't be an epic year by any means, but at least for me, as long as I can see major attractions under construction, I'm happy. If there is nothing new and nothing big under construction, I have a problem.

Imaginationeer

Yes, the wand is coming down and now its public. However, I told it to you several weeks prior to it becoming common knowledge. As I said before, you will know whether I am legit or not by the accuracy of my statements.

Now... on to our next update:

- Star Tours refurbishment technical info:
** Each simulator equipped with 5 rear-projected Disney Digital 3-D screens with one screen in the front and two smaller screens on both the left and right sides of the simulator.
** Simulators feature a hydraulic lift at the center-rear area of the simulator, which allow much of the upper portion of the simulator to be swung upwards for specific ride events.
** Polarized glasses (3-D glasses) will be themed and necessary for proper viewing of the ride.
** Front-projected modified (for polarization) IMAX HD DOME projectors facing upwards will be used during the ride and will be totally external of the simulators.
** DTS-HD Master Audio system is featured in every simulator, along with a DTS-HD Master Audio external system which is used when simulator hatches are in the open position, are opening, or are closing.
** Three remote controlled AAs are used in the ride, with two of the same type simulating walking, but only featuring upper torsos and a third which does not move from its permanent location, but can be "puppeted" both in motions and statements, or can run in a generic mode.

- The Typhoon Lagoon expansion will also be featuring two volleball courts, additional seating, a shaved ice restaurant, and of course, more tropical plants.

- The ride vehicles for Spaceship Earth are being totally removed during the refurbishment. The new vehicles will feature a much smoother experience, and will be outfitted with 16:9 ratio LCD touch screens.

Enjoy the updates and don't forget the sodium.

Reading it right off the sheet, i see!
Very nice, some of us choose to be secretive, but this guy is throwing out things the public shouldn't know. I would love to know what department you work for, or who in your family works for what department. He's for real all right, i can confirm it for once. This post isn't really a stretch, it's all technical aspects. I could post all the boring stuff, but i choose not to. ReDisiney E-Dew, send me a PM because we need to talk.:animwink:

ToTBellHop

Very nice, some of us choose to be secretive, but this guy is throwing out things the public shouldn't know. I would love to know what department you work for, or who in your family works for what department. He's for real all right, i can confirm it for once. This post isn't really a stretch, it's all technical aspects. I could post all the boring stuff, but i choose not to. ReDisiney E-Dew, send me a PM because we need to talk.:animwink:
Grow up. He's an adult and makes his own choices. All these morons talking down to him need to get a freaking life. News flash--it's not your job to worry about his job security. It's your job to mind your own freaking business and not complain about everything that happens here. You have the right to not read. I have the right to read. The guy has posted a lot. Disney reads the forums. Therefore, they already know about it, and if they wanted to deal with it, they would have. If he is using sources, his sources are well aware of what he is doing. So get off of your soap box. Gloating about how you are an insider who chooses not to share is simply annoying.

rdour@techminds

DTS vs AC3

I just wanted to chime in on the DTS vs AC3 thing.

One major difference between DTS and AC3 is the method of compression. Not necessarily dynamics (volume) but the actual data compression.

DTS is not about low bitrate, not at all. This is why the 5 channel DTS track on the original pirates movie sucks up 700+ MB of the disk. DTS concentrates on preserving the audio quality and yet fitting the same 5 channel data onto a physical piece of media. Theatre systems actually use regular CDs encoded with raw DTS for playback. A time code on the film keeps the audio in sync with the video.

AC3 is Dolby's version of a similar format. However, data compression is really the goal. AC3 is pre mp3 and AAC, and it shows. The artifacts that exist are pretty nasty. The maximum bitrate is 448 kbps on a DVD if you want your DVD to meet standards and play on most players. The reason the compression method was developed was to actually fit a packet of audio onto each frame of film. So the audio is encoded optically on the 35mm film itself. The problem for theatre versions is that the film over time wears out. Audio data is therefore lost. I've heard this in some really bad theatres that just run their print to death.

One thing that is nice is that DTS HD is really going to be HD. Normally we hear 16 bit 48 KHz audio on DVDs and on most BlueRay and HD-DVD releases. AC3 really wasn't well designed for anything more than 16 bit anyway. DTS HD isn't really even the same format as the original DTS. Now, with DTS-HD we can get 24 bit 192 KHz if we desire. Why in the world would we need this? Simple, we're human. Dynamics really do matter to us. When we experience normal life, we hear sounds that register very low, and some that are exessively loud. Digital audio at 16 bit just can't reproduce the dynamic range our ears prefer. However, 24 bit audio provides a massive improvement. With extremely good recording and playback equipment sounds as simple as a paper clip dropping on concrete or a train horn buzzing by can be reproduced at their original dynamic range. As for the KHz thing, it is simple. We comprimise on quality so often that we all don't know what we're missing.

To give you an idea, all of our phone calls on land line phones are at 8 KHz. This means that only low frequencies and up to a limited point are heard. Essentially we miss a ton of information. Digital audio capture is the reason for this loss. We have to limit the number of times we sample a sound. Well, high pitched sounds require that you sample them thousands of times per second in order to even remotely reproduce them. Since the human ear can only really hear to about 22 KHz (44 KHz digital) then what is the need for higher sampling rates? Simple, with 44.1 Khz or 48 KHz sampling we only scratch the surface of fidelity. With 96 KHz recording people generally notice that high frequency sounds have a "crisp" quality to them. That is simply because they've been sampled a proper number of times, and the full detail has been preserved. At 192 KHz, this same effect is experienced, but even for sounds outside of the human spectrum. Sonic research into marine life samples very high frequencies because some animals communicate at frequencies we can't even hear.

So, technobabble aside, the DTS has always been a higher quality sound, but Ac3 (Dolby Digital) takes up less space and can be placed directly on film if necessary. For consumers, most won't notice the difference. In theatres, it really is noticable. Theatres generally have better sound reproduction systems than we do at home. Some even have proper room environments, that really helps the situation.

I believe that if Disney were to use DTS-HD they would use a version that exists that can handle many more channels of unique audio. So, instead of just 5 channels, or 7 channels, maybe they use 64 channels. I've heard unreliable sources tell me that Soarin' uses 136 channels of distinct audio. Crazy part about Soarin' is that those channels are all either above you, below you, or to your sides. However, not much is really behind you. I'd imagine the use in a new ride system would not match traditional theatre use, as Soarin' demonstrates.

OK, I hope this clears up some of the confusion, or at least causes more curiosity about good audio. You know, we all get screwed left and right by the "consumer" quality of audio. Basically it is because most of us just don't know any better. That, and if we all could get the very high quality audio running at home, why would we visit IMAX and stadium seating theatres with amazing sound?

Ryan

Sources:

I've worked on many studio projects, been in radio for years, and geek out on audio in general. AC3 is something I've had the direct experience with, but DTS is so proprietary that even Apple's Final Cut Studio doesn't really support it.

DTS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Theater_System

AC3 (Dolby Digital): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ac3

CaptainMichael

Grow up. He's an adult and makes his own choices. All these morons talking down to him need to get a freaking life. News flash--it's not your job to worry about his job security. It's your job to mind your own freaking business and not complain about everything that happens here. You have the right to not read. I have the right to read. The guy has posted a lot. Disney reads the forums. Therefore, they already know about it, and if they wanted to deal with it, they would have. If he is using sources, his sources are well aware of what he is doing. So get off of your soap box. Gloating about how you are an insider who chooses not to share is simply annoying.

:sohappy:

Personally, I think it's genious that Disney is finally using the internet to their advantage. It's the future, and I'm glad to see them embracing it.

cupanudles

Ooooo, gosh forbid Disney actually builds aniticipation for a good ride!:p

stalkingmickey

Your funny:ROFLOL: do you really think he is going to PM you. You sound like a parent about to scold his child.

fyn

I'm surprised no one has thought of the iconic Star Wars scene that, being on a space ship, you'd want to be looking up for. Think back to the very first scene of Episode 4.

rdour@techminds

I had posted a very detailed description of DTS vs Ac3 for everyone to enjoy. Did it get removed? I'm just very disappointed, I much rather would have liked people to complain about it being too techie instead of it simply being removed. Someone PM me if they did it, and let me simply know why and what I did wrong. I like this place, if I violated some rule just let me know.

Ryan

disney2534

Thank You

I have been reading the posts on this website religiously since i returned from WDW on April 21st. I just wanted to thank everyone, esp. the insiders, on all the information they give. Keep the rumors coming, reading them is the best part of my day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom