Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

I just about died laughing at the Splash incident. The sad part is, that's how I am about water rides. If a little water hits me, no big deal but I HATE getting my hair drenched. Not cause I'm trying to impress anyone at WDW with my hair-do but because when it gets wet it takes FOREVER to dry and it's just a big afro puff when it finally does dry. More annoying than anything. Which is why I now go prepared with shower caps!!! lol I look silly while on the ride, but it keeps my hair dry!

People thought that ponchos looked weird on water rides. :D

fractal

Original Poster
RSR starts off by taking you through a quick trip around Radiator Springs - including a pass by this wonderful waterfall.

2012JO%27s%20211-XL.jpg

You then go back inside - encounter some characters from Cars, nearly get shredded by a combine, have a run in with the police and then start to get your car ready for a race.

2012JO%27s%20214-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20213-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20215-XL.jpg

We went through the paint shop which was very cool and funny. Then we lined up for the race with another car.

2012JO%27s%20216-XL.jpg

The race itself is a bunch of fun - plus you get to enjoy the incredible themeing outside. Our car lost, but got an atta-boy in the end.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed RSR even more if I had watched the CARS movies. CARS 1 and 2 happen to be the only PIXAR movies I've never seen. Having said
that, this ride is a big time winner. It's every bit of what a E-ticket should be. Great queue, incredible themeing, takes you to another place and puts you into a story/adventure and finally has some great technology ( the AA's and the track ). I will say that it is not worth a 150 minute wait ( I don't know what is ). Do the single
rider instead.

After the ride we looked around CarsLand some more before heading into Bugs Land. Looking back at it, I wish I had spent some more time in Cars Land, but I think after being surrounded by all those people in the queue and being spilled out into a jammed packed CL I guess we need some more room to breath.

2012JO%27s%20217-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
BugsLand is an interesting area. You are made to believe that you are the size of a bug through the large clovers and other plants that hover above you. They also do a great job of providing shade.

d336ff7b.jpg

Except for "A Bug's Life" (which I could not find), Bug's Land is full of kiddie rides.
I was disappointed with the plain rectangular bathroom building until Sterg informed me that it was supposed to be a giant Kleenex box. "Oh yeah...that's cool!" I said.

Then we got a look at DCA's version of the Hollywood Tower Hotel -

2012JO%27s%20224-XL.jpg

Definitely not as spooky or immersive as DHS's version but looked much better than I imagined. More art-deco than Spanish style as in Florida.

2012JO%27s%20226-XL.jpg

Sterg and I grabbed fast passes before heading off to explore more of the park.

2012JO%27s%20228-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

So are there any visual tricks on the paint shop side? I know you have Ramone talking to you but why are there two large mirrors? The other side has the nice tire change effect.

I hope you saw Car's Land at night.

Californian Elitist

I always consider a bugs land to be the Fantasyland equivalent for DCA, in that it's a section specifically for families with small children. I usually go there to relax.

I laughed at your comment about the bathroom! So funny that Sterg was able to figure it out.:)

tumblr_ltpfmt3Zbn1qi0gth.jpg

Californian Elitist

Right before this trip he had his braces removed so he still was getting used to smiling properly. Loved CaliScreaming- didn't go on the Wheel.

Oh ok, I understand now. I have braces and I know how he feels.

Good thing you skipped "Mickey's Death Wheel". That is the most terrifying attraction in the entire Disneyland Resort, specifically the swinging gondolas. You go up I don't know how many feet in the air and just swing back and forth, over water. Rightfully deserves the nickname "Mickey's Death Wheel", in my opinion.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Fractal - Awesome trip report. Just catching up now.
Great commentary and even better pics!

A lot of the 'teenage' experience is hitting home. I have a 16 year old daughter that's testing my parenting abilities right now.
All that I can say is: thank God we love them.

I had a "just the boys" night on one of our last trips to the World, It was only a few hours at the MK but it was definitely a memorable experience without the ladies that created many quotable moments that have turned into inside jokes for me and my son. ;)
Not that I didn't miss our 'estrogen filled' counter parts....but that father\son time is unique and was definitely something that will stick in my memory forever.

It's great that you get to spend this amount of time one on one with your son. It may seem trying at times due to the teenage factor, but it sounds like you had more than your share of
amazing memorable moments.

I'm trying to get my wife to make the trip to California next year for a trip to DL and DCA, but she's having a hard time with the long flight..something about estrogen and airplanes.................

PolynesianPrincess

So excited to hear you liked RSR. That is another thing in DLR out there that I am dying to try. I really loved Test Track so heopfully whatever they replace it with will have the same kind of great themeing and queue area as RSR. Lord knows we need another good themed ride with a great themed queue down at WDW!!

fractal

Original Poster
I dig the Star Wars Tee, Chris!!

Thanks, it was a gift from my sister-in-law. My wife's not a big fan of it though. :D

Oh wow! RSRs looks incredible! Can't wait to hear what y'all thought of the ride. The detail blows my mind and that's just from pictures. I imagine it's much like how it is post-hurricane but in a good way. Pictures are like looking thru this tiny little window. To get the full gravity of it you have to be there surrounded by it.

Isn't it funny how the littlest things are thrown when the kiddos come out of braces? I had to bite my lip not to laugh at Chandler. I know Sterg totally wouldn't want to hear this but he looks a lot like you, Chris! Val is a lucky gal to have 2 handsome fellas to decorate her house with! High fives for her!!! ;)

RSR is great! The did an awesome job with it and all of CarsLand.
Sterg was counting the days till his braces were off - I'll pass along the compliment to Sterg, he'll probably blush as much as I did. :D

fractal

Original Poster
I am picturing a log full of shower capped riders all wondering why their family members jumped into the single rider line. LOL!

:D

You have to post a pic of that!

Most definitely!

So are there any visual tricks on the paint shop side? I know you have Ramone talking to you but why are there two large mirrors? The other side has the nice tire change effect.

I hope you saw Car's Land at night.

Yes there is! It looks like the car is getting a wild/cool paint job! Great effect.
We did see CarsLand at night and that time I actually took some pictures - with my camera no less.

I always consider a bugs land to be the Fantasyland equivalent for DCA, in that it's a section specifically for families with small children. I usually go there to relax.

I laughed at your comment about the bathroom! So funny that Sterg was able to figure it out.:)

tumblr_ltpfmt3Zbn1qi0gth.jpg

Yes, good comparison. Thanks for the picture of the bathroom! lol! :)

Oh ok, I understand now. I have braces and I know how he feels.

Good thing you skipped "Mickey's Death Wheel". That is the most terrifying attraction in the entire Disneyland Resort, specifically the swinging gondolas. You go up I don't know how many feet in the air and just swing back and forth, over water. Rightfully deserves the nickname "Mickey's Death Wheel", in my opinion.

I was eyeing up the "Death Wheel" and was thinking of doing it, but with some many other things to see and do we skipped it. Now I'm glad I did!

fractal

Original Poster
Fractal - Awesome trip report. Just catching up now.
Great commentary and even better pics!

A lot of the 'teenage' experience is hitting home. I have a 16 year old daughter that's testing my parenting abilities right now.
All that I can say is: thank God we love them.

I had a "just the boys" night on one of our last trips to the World, It was only a few hours at the MK but it was definitely a memorable experience without the ladies that created many quotable moments that have turned into inside jokes for me and my son. ;)
Not that I didn't miss our 'estrogen filled' counter parts....but that father\son time is unique and was definitely something that will stick in my memory forever.

It's great that you get to spend this amount of time one on one with your son. It may seem trying at times due to the teenage factor, but it sounds like you had more than your share of
amazing memorable moments.

I'm trying to get my wife to make the trip to California next year for a trip to DL and DCA, but she's having a hard time with the long flight..something about estrogen and airplanes.................

ShookieJones,

Thanks! Glad you are onboard! Teenage girls can certainly add a few grays to the 'ol man's hair, can't they? On Wednesday we are driving our oldest daughter to college ( she's a freshman ). She did turn out pretty good - now I have other things to worry about. Thank God indeed!

Our last trip to WDW I got zero alone time with Sterg so this trip was great. Father and son times are so important, especially these days! I'm glad you got some on your trip. I need to plan more.

Lol! The flight wasn't as bad as the jet lag. It took me a good week after we got home until I felt "right". California has so much to offer and DLR is near the top of the list!

So excited to hear you liked RSR. That is another thing in DLR out there that I am dying to try. I really loved Test Track so heopfully whatever they replace it with will have the same kind of great themeing and queue area as RSR. Lord knows we need another good themed ride with a great themed queue down at WDW!!

I'm also looking forward to the TT. RSR is "all that"!

sweetpee_1993

Thanks, it was a gift from my sister-in-law. My wife's not a big fan of it though. :D

RSR is great! The did an awesome job with it and all of CarsLand.
Sterg was counting the days till his braces were off - I'll pass along the compliment to Sterg, he'll probably blush as much as I did. :D

I never had braces but I remember Chandler counting the days til his came off....both times. Eek!

I can't believe you haven't seen Cars! Really?!?! Are ya ready to watch it now?!?! It's really a great movie. I didn't care as much for the second one, tho.

RSRs looks amazing! I'm with you, tho. Not waiting 150 minutes for that. No way! It's interesting to see the impression of someone who hasn't seen the movie. Did the story make sense?

DznyRktekt

My son is into Cars and Cars 2. I like the first one very much. It has heart. The second one is very hard to tolerate, even though I try.

150 minutes? Probably would wait 150 minutes for any Disney attraction if it got me out of the office for the afternoon. :D

fractal

Original Poster
Continuing through Hollywood Land we ran into this musical crew.

2012JO%27s%20227-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20218-XL.jpg

I really enjoyed this traveling band. The car was cool, her voice was great and it really added to the classic Hollywood atmosphere.

This is Hyperion Theater. It took me awhile to figure this out. The theater is in a huge building that is painted to look like the California Blue Sky. Pretty effective optical illusion. The Aladdin stage show is performed here but as much as I wanted to see it, we didn't get a chance.

2012JO%27s%20223-XL.jpg

I could have spent much more time walking up and down the street and admiring all the buildings.

2012JO%27s%20232-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20230-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20233-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom