Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
OK - back to our regularly schedule show...

Once you enter the temple you proceed down a very long corridor that is lit by old flickering lights, and several artifacts. There are also streams of sunlight coming from holes in the ceiling caused by the overgrown roots from the jungle foliage. Again, we walked quickly through the inside queue because of our fortunate position in line when the ride opened for business.

2012JO%27s%20191-XL.jpg

The corridor/tunnel leads you into a staging area - here you will receive a bit of history on this "dig" and instructions on your upcoming mission.

2012JO%27s%20190-XL.jpg

and who better than Sallah to help us with our adventure?

2012JO%27s%20192-XL.jpg

The loading is a similar setup to Dinosaur, except of course the theming. The vehicles are similar to the Dino jeeps because of their size and dimensions.

2012JO%27s%20194-XL.jpg

The ride itself is great! It's not as frightening as Dinosaur but the big room inside the temple is breathtaking. Going over the shaky bridge next to the giant statue and flames shooting up is very cool. You also have a couple encounters with Indy himself. The only disappointment ( as far as I could tell ) was the giant rolling ball effect not working. Other than that, Indy is on the top of my list of the best rides I've been on. As for Sterg, the fickle, too cool for himself teenager, he absolutely loved it!

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

haha well if Sterg loved it, then it MUST be super cool!! Glad you guys were able to ride it. That's going to be a can't miss for us when we finally make it out to DL!

And how cool is that mansion being the inspiration for WDW's HM? Pretty awesome.

Uncle Lupe

Looks like that mansion was a definite inspiration for WDW. Getting in a fast moving line is a blessing and a curse. With elaborate themes on the newer rides you want to soak it in and get in the mood. But you do not want to be in line so long that you go crazy.

fractal

Original Poster
Sterg wanted to do Splash Mountain and I wanted to see it up close during the day so off we went. We waited standby (30 mins) which gave me a chance for more pictures.

2012JO%27s%20198-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20199-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20197-X2.jpg

2012JO%27s%20196-XL.jpg

Like I said before - looks like they shrunk down SM by 25% - and forgot to paint the briar patch.

2012JO%27s%20195-XL.jpg

While waiting in line, Val was texting me for photos of us. So we obliged.

222cbdfd.jpg

5f1d3ef9.jpg

It was around this point when Sterg made an interesting observation.

"You know, without Mom, Alex and Toni around things are much more peaceful and quiet."

"Well, there's less of us so it's going to be more quiet" I answered diplomatically

"Yeah, but there's just less drama" he said

"Well, there is less estrogen" I said

Sterg liked that and laughed - it became a running joke for the rest of the trip. As we loaded up in our log with a mother and her 2 teenage daughters, the timing was perfect.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Finally!!! Now THAT'S a queue.

Yes it is. Wonderfully rich queue and great ride!

Wow! Fractal didn't know! I love that! They're such little wisecrackers!!! LOL! Fascinating, indeed. If you get the chance definitely take a bazillion pics for us!

They don't miss an opportunity do they?

You can definitely see the influence on Haunted Mansion. I did take a bunch of pic to share.

I thought the official Disney line had always been that WDW's 1971 Haunted Mansion was modeled after mansions found in the "Hudson River Valley" of New York?

This intrigued me so I did some research. Apparently the Imagineers took ideas from the Harry Packer mansion as well as the Hudson River Valley mansions.

fractal

Original Poster
Looks like that mansion was a definite inspiration for WDW. Getting in a fast moving line is a blessing and a curse. With elaborate themes on the newer rides you want to soak it in and get in the mood. But you do not want to be in line so long that you go crazy.

It's funny how many things you stumble upon that can be tied into Disney. I find it fascinating, the kids think it's funny and my wife just rolls her eyes.

As I was hustling through the Indy queue I kept saying "Oh that's cool" but wished I could enjoy it more. I guess that mean they did a pretty good job with it!

sweetpee_1993

It was around this point when Sterg made an interesting observation.

"You know, without Mom, Alex and Toni around things are much more peaceful and quiet."

"Well, there's less of us so it's going to be more quiet" I answered diplomatically

"Yeah, but there's just less drama" he said

"Well, there is less estrogen" I said

Sterg liked that and laughed - it became a running joke for the rest of the trip. As we loaded up in our log with a mother and her 2 teenage daughters, the timing was perfect.

ROFL! I love it! Less estrogen = less drama...then you get loaded into a log bursting at the seams with estrogen.... LOL! You're so right. Timing was perfect.

This summer my youngest spent a little over a week at Nana's house while the oldest was home with me. I think separating the waring sibs creates a kind of peace and quiet that is much akin to what heaven is like. **sigh** Definitely says something when the kids even pick up on it. :D

Love the mansion pics you provided! Definitely see a strong resemblence. Wouldn't it be neat to live in a replica of the HM????

WDW_Princess24

First I must say that it is so exciting you and Sterg were able to have some father-son bonding time! Your pictures of the Getty were beautiful, it looks so peaceful there! I would love the opportunity to get to DL one day but I feel like I would have the same initial impression as Sterg, things aren’t where they are supposed to be lol. It’s amazing how it all can be so similar yet so different at the same time (HM is gorgeous!) The overall atmosphere of the park just seems so different, but in a good way of course.

I can’t believe you were able to see the Packer mansion. I know they do murder mystery weekends there, since PA is so close to me I’ve always wanted to go up and see it, how awesome for you!

fractal

Original Poster
We climb into our Splash Mountain log. I am in the back seat, Sterg is in front of me. In front of Sterg is an attractive young woman - maybe 17, her mother is in front of her and in the lead seat is the other daughter about 19-20. As we get settled in our seats I nudge Sterg from the back and give him the 'ol "Hmm? Hmm?" while nodding towards the girl in front of him.

"Dad, stop" he says under his breath.

We hit the first little drop in the ride and "young" daughter starts to freak out.

"Oh my gosh! My hair got wet! You didn't tell me I would get wet on this ride" She shrieked as she frantically tried to dry her hair and restyle it.

"I'm going to kill you guys, there better not be any more drops!"

I couldn't help myself - I just started to laugh hysterically. Sterg looked back at me not knowing whether to tell me to shut up or join in my amusement.

Next drop came.

"OH MY GOSH! I'm getting drenched!" She protested - wiping the few drops that happen to hit her. I continued laughing and now the mother and oldest daughter joined in.

As we made out way through the ride I whispered to Sterg that I was going to splash her with water.

"DAD! NO! She'll kill me!" He said.

Meanwhile, this girl is not shutting up. She is working her hair and constantly complaining about pretty much everything. As we are climbing up to the final drop she is in hysterics and I and now Sterg are cracking up. The drop comes and the splash! She gets drenched. I am now finding it hard to breath from laughing. As obnoxious as I had to sound - she never once acknowledged our existence - she was in her own world and that world was a living hell.

"I am f'in soaked!" She screams ( using the full f-word).

Her mother calls her by name (can't remember) and tells her to watch her mouth. The older sister may have been laughing louder than me.
Then as we get towards the end of the ride she comes out with this beauty;

"That wasn't too bad, let ride it again".

Sterg looks back at me and says "Estrogen"

"Son, I still haven't figured them out. Let's go to California Adventure"

"Sounds good"

As we were making our way out, I took noticed of how packed the park was getting. I took a pic of Adventureland with my phone...

7ce2721d.jpg

Then a picture of the fire company/ Walt's apartment on the way out...

2012JO%27s%20200-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

LMAO, you two are hilarious! Laughing at that poor girl. That girl sounds ridiculous and although I'm a female myself, I could never spend time with someone like that. Goodness, just shut up already.

Love the picture of Walt's apartment. It's the best part of Main Street.

fractal

Original Poster
The entrance to DCA is nearly identical to DHS. Because of this, and the Hollywood theming, it was natural to compare this park to DHS. I have always liked DHS because of its classic Hollywood themeing - the buildings, the lighting, the street players. DCA has taken all that and turned it up several notches. If you enjoy DHS for those same reasons, you would fall madly in love with Disney's California Adventure. As we walked into the park I was taking it in so intently that I forgot to take any pictures ( something I would do later).

As you continue into the park, there is a wide pathway and to your right is a large and beautiful waterfall surrounded by rock work - that is the back of Grizzly Falls. To you left is Bugs Land and then further up we got our first glimpse of Cars Land.

2012JO%27s%20201-XL.jpg

We didn't explore - we were hungry so we headed deeper into the park towards Paradise Pier.

2012JO%27s%20203-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20204-XL.jpg

We made our way towards California Screaming rollercoaster. Sterg really wanted to ride this and was game with the 30 minute standby.

California Screaming is a launch coaster - like R&RRC. It is themed to look like a classic wooden boardwalk coaster but is actually steel. The launch was great - not as breathtaking as RRRC but still fun. There are speakers and music in your seats - it plays an upbeat "theme" type music which was cool for the first half of the ride but grew a bit tiresome during the second half. The coaster has several great drops - including a big one after a climb. There is also a loop. Overall, I think the coaster ride itself is more fun and satisfying than RRRC while RRRC wins out on themeing, music and the initial launch. Sterg loved it.

After that we grabbed lunch at the Mediterranean QS. There is a row of QS restaurants in Paradise Pier and a wonderful seating area with shading and live music playing. I regret not taking more pictures of that spot, but I did get some food pics;

My chicken kabob - which was very good.

1889c6f2.jpg

and Sterg's Greek Salad - which had all the ingredients but the dressing was loaded with vinegar and almost ruined it.

68ccce54.jpg

We then looped around the back of Paradise Pier and made haste to Cars Land, but not before Sterg posed for another picture to be sent to his Mother.

fc7af532.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Walking into Cars Land for the first time is a sensory overload. The view of the Radiator Springs rock work is breathtaking while the detail and authenticity of everything along the way amazes. This picture from my phone ( what the heck was I doing? ) doesn't do justice;

838ee4c6.jpg

We went straight to Radiator Springs Racers to find an 150 minute wait. Then we noticed another line to the left - a single rider line with a 40 minute wait.
"Let do it!" Sterg says - and off we go.

We end up making friends with the guy in front of us. He proceeds to tell us that he was in the standby line yesterday for an hour and then the ride went down. They waited another 30 minutes before giving up and now he came back by himself to ride single rider.

Here's a picture of the queue line - it wraps into the building in the back ground and then serpentines in there. 90% of the people in line you can't see in this picture - they are either behind or in that far building. The Mater wishing well in the middle is pretty cool and amused us for a few minutes. I donated a few sheckles towards Sterg's coin toss skills.

b829ad12.jpg

Around this point I remembered I had a real camera -

Another pic of the queue line -

2012JO%27s%20208-XL.jpg

Then we got "guy in front of us" to take our picture -

2012JO%27s%20209-XL.jpg

After exactly 30 minutes, we were boarding our car. Single rider was well worth it.

2012JO%27s%20210-XL.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

"Lincoln Continental Breakfast"... that makes me laugh every time!

Loving the TR, thanks for all the pics/energy you are putting in to this. :)

fractal

Original Poster
ROFL! I love it! Less estrogen = less drama...then you get loaded into a log bursting at the seams with estrogen.... LOL! You're so right. Timing was perfect.

This summer my youngest spent a little over a week at Nana's house while the oldest was home with me. I think separating the waring sibs creates a kind of peace and quiet that is much akin to what heaven is like. **sigh** Definitely says something when the kids even pick up on it. :D

Love the mansion pics you provided! Definitely see a strong resemblence. Wouldn't it be neat to live in a replica of the HM????

That ended up being one of the funniest moments on the trip. Likewise, I'm sure too much testosterone can drive you women crazy. :D

Yes, sometimes you must resort to "Divide and Conquer" military tactics. The mansion was very worthwhile. There are actually two mansion right next to each other. The Harry Packer mansion, the one I showed, and his father Asa's mansion. Asa Packer was a coal and railroad industrialist and founded Lehigh University. At the time he was one of the richest men in the world.

First I must say that it is so exciting you and Sterg were able to have some father-son bonding time! Your pictures of the Getty were beautiful, it looks so peaceful there! I would love the opportunity to get to DL one day but I feel like I would have the same initial impression as Sterg, things aren’t where they are supposed to be lol. It’s amazing how it all can be so similar yet so different at the same time (HM is gorgeous!) The overall atmosphere of the park just seems so different, but in a good way of course.

I can’t believe you were able to see the Packer mansion. I know they do murder mystery weekends there, since PA is so close to me I’ve always wanted to go up and see it, how awesome for you!

Hey! Glad to see a fellow Greek onboard!

I did enjoy having the time together with him, although it did tick off my youngest. :) If you ever find yourself on the left coast, DL is a must, especially for a Disney lover. The Getty wasn't bad either.

Yes - the website for the Harry Packer mansion is murdermansion.com. I agree - a murder mystery weekend there would be cool.

fractal

Original Poster
LMAO, you two are hilarious! Laughing at that poor girl. That girl sounds ridiculous and although I'm a female myself, I could never spend time with someone like that. Goodness, just shut up already.

Love the picture of Walt's apartment. It's the best part of Main Street.

That was a crazy ride! Very funny though.
I loved explaining the history of the fire house to Sterg.:) He thought it was very cool!

LOL, what's going on with Sterg's facial expressions in these pictures? California Screamin' is lots of fun, but "Mickey's Death Wheel" isn't.

Right before this trip he had his braces removed so he still was getting used to smiling properly. Loved CaliScreaming- didn't go on the Wheel.

"Lincoln Continental Breakfast"... that makes me laugh every time!

Loving the TR, thanks for all the pics/energy you are putting in to this. :)

Yes, that is funny! Thanks!

sweetpee_1993

Oh wow! RSRs looks incredible! Can't wait to hear what y'all thought of the ride. The detail blows my mind and that's just from pictures. I imagine it's much like how it is post-hurricane but in a good way. Pictures are like looking thru this tiny little window. To get the full gravity of it you have to be there surrounded by it.

Isn't it funny how the littlest things are thrown when the kiddos come out of braces? I had to bite my lip not to laugh at Chandler. I know Sterg totally wouldn't want to hear this but he looks a lot like you, Chris! Val is a lucky gal to have 2 handsome fellas to decorate her house with! High fives for her!!! ;)

PolynesianPrincess

I just about died laughing at the Splash incident. The sad part is, that's how I am about water rides. If a little water hits me, no big deal but I HATE getting my hair drenched. Not cause I'm trying to impress anyone at WDW with my hair-do but because when it gets wet it takes FOREVER to dry and it's just a big afro puff when it finally does dry. More annoying than anything. Which is why I now go prepared with shower caps!!! lol I look silly while on the ride, but it keeps my hair dry!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom