Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Gojira ゴジラ

Love the trip so far. I just got back from DL and DCA too.

Are you gonna share your experience with the cast member there? how you feel about them compared to the WDW? I personally quite disappointed but would love to hear your take on the matter as well.

DznyRktekt

The Epcot resorts are great. Try BC and then you can always stay at Swan or Dolphin if you like the area but don't want to spend Deluxe rates.

We are seriously considering the Dolphin or Swan for our next WDW visit, as we'll probably need two rooms. It's pretty hard to top their Military rate, and I'm a Graves fan.

Did you gents have any memorable meals on the trip, or was it grab and go...lets get to the next attraction?

Joshua&CalebDad

"Sterg, look at C3PO going through the scanner!" I would say excitingly.
"OK Dad, calm down" he replied.

2012JOs170.jpg

See what I mean. If he was 11-12 years old he would be more excited than me "Wow, that's cool! Do you think he's really behind there??". But now that excitement is either bottled up inside or gone all together. I think part of it is him trying to be his own person. My "sidekick" has rebelled and is looking to be his own man. This is a tough spot for a father because you are still supporting him in every way (including financially) but have to allow more slack on the leach if you want the son to grow. Coexisting is more difficult with the "black and whites" of the relationship becoming much more gray.

I plan on sharing this posts with my DW. Just the other day I was explaining to her that our sons, 5 & 3, who love mommy above all else, would one day turn on her. She was in denial and couldn't imagine that happening to her.

Oh the cruel joke that children are. You love them, nurture them, support them as best as you can and then all of a sudden that dear sweet child of yours turns into Jekyl and starts gnashing their teeth at you, doing everything they can to escape your ever loving arms.

I can't wait for the teenage years.

jhoff3405

I am along for the ride! As a person that has never been to DL, I love your descriptions of Walt's park, and your pics describing where things are placed.
I hear you with the teenage son! But, I remind myself (just as you are) that it is all part of parenthood.

Wondering how the water polo turns out. Such a great game!

Uncle Lupe

You are in a place that wants you to wear Mickey hats and Luigi tires so the shirt looks normal. You could probably use that Star Wars shirt as a threat to keep the kids in line.

"Do the yard work or I'm wearing the Star Wars shirt to you next match." "I'm gonna yell really loud!" "Go Sterg, use the force!"

fractal

Original Poster
I am dreading those days where my son starts to think he's too cool for Disney but hoping that because we're over the top Disney crazed in our house, it won't happen. Or maybe that'll be even more reason it will. He's got quite a few years left before that happens though... I think. :)

Teenagers think they are too cool for anything - especially anything that remotely has to do with you their parents - so get ready! Enjoy these years.
Actually they are not that bad, just different. I always tell them that it's not really their fault that they act so bizarre, it's a function of their brain not being fully developed yet.

Oh yes. I know this "cool" act moreso from my older brother in his teen years than my boys. My older brother was too cool for himself when we were teenagers. Seriously. I don't know what it is with my boys. They have no problem acting like complete idiots in the public. They, too, think I get too excited over insignificant things, tho. When they tell me, "Calm down, Mom. It's not that cool." I just spout back with "If it was (Call of Duty) or (Assassins Creed) you'd be geekin on it so you can leave me alone now." It's so true, too. I wouldn't get on my knees in a store to beg for Mickey drawers but Chandler had no problem doing that at Kohls so I'd buy him Call of Duty boxers. Go figure, right?

Amen to the bliss of separating your offspring! Brian just spent a week at Nana's house. Home was amazingly peaceful. I missed the kid when he wasn't here but not the chaos. Imagine if you had TWO of those teenage boys constantly battling for the ultimate in relentlessness on one-upping the other! OMG! I need a big stick!

Did the Nemo subs maintain long waits??? I should pay attention to these things more on the DL Lines app. Star Tours looked pretty similar to it's other coast counterpart with the exception of the Endor portion of the line. Love your Star Wars tee! Very cool even on a 40 yro NOT in a Disney park. Wow! Adventureland did fill up with people!

Oh, well Call of duty & Assassins Creed are "cool". Maybe I'll tell Sterg that I heard Disney was working on a "Call of Duty" ride. :) I wonder if my younger sister thinks that I was like this??

I LOVE spending time with my kids by themselves!

The Nemo subs always had a long wait - which is part of the reason we didn't ride them. Yes, I'm a nerd.

That day was a 9.5 day on touring plans. :eek:

fractal

Original Poster
Love the trip so far. I just got back from DL and DCA too.

Are you gonna share your experience with the cast member there? how you feel about them compared to the WDW? I personally quite disappointed but would love to hear your take on the matter as well.

Thanks!
Yes -on the CM's I thought they were "professional' but not really in character. The exception being the Jungle Cruise skipper. It was a bit disappointing.

We are seriously considering the Dolphin or Swan for our next WDW visit, as we'll probably need two rooms. It's pretty hard to top their Military rate, and I'm a Graves fan.

Did you gents have any memorable meals on the trip, or was it grab and go...lets get to the next attraction?

I never stayed at S&D but that area is great.

I wanted to eat at Blue Bayou but could not fit it in our schedule. We did have what I'll call a memorable sit down meal on our last day.

Awesome report, I'm lovin it! Makes me want to visit DL even more. Looking forward to more of your report.

Thanks! :)

fractal

Original Poster
I plan on sharing this posts with my DW. Just the other day I was explaining to her that our sons, 5 & 3, who love mommy above all else, would one day turn on her. She was in denial and couldn't imagine that happening to her.

Oh the cruel joke that children are. You love them, nurture them, support them as best as you can and then all of a sudden that dear sweet child of yours turns into Jekyl and starts gnashing their teeth at you, doing everything they can to escape your ever loving arms.

I can't wait for the teenage years.

Enjoy the next 7-8 years! Last year I spent a bunch of time with my 10 year old in the parks - just the two of us as the teenagers ( and my wife ) wanted to "sleep in". It was a blast!

Yes- they'll turn on you in a second. :) Having 2 teenagers at the same time it tough because they gang up on you and encourage each other's stupidity.

I am along for the ride! As a person that has never been to DL, I love your descriptions of Walt's park, and your pics describing where things are placed.
I hear you with the teenage son! But, I remind myself (just as you are) that it is all part of parenthood.

Wondering how the water polo turns out. Such a great game!

Thanks! It's a tough part of parenthood, but it does have its rewards.
Water polo was great and yes, it's an awesome sport! I would last about 3 minutes in the pool and somebody would have to dredge me up from the bottom.

You are in a place that wants you to wear Mickey hats and Luigi tires so the shirt looks normal. You could probably use that Star Wars shirt as a threat to keep the kids in line.

"Do the yard work or I'm wearing the Star Wars shirt to you next match." "I'm gonna yell really loud!" "Go Sterg, use the force!"

HA,HA,HA!! Dude, that is so frickin funny! I love it! What a great idea! I'm severely disappointed in myself for not thinking of this. Use their dysfunctional behavior as a weapon against them! Awesome. Do you read Sun Tzu??

fractal

Original Poster
Based on touringplan.com, Disneyland was rated a 9.5 every day that week and DCA was a 10. This was becoming evident as we entered Adventureland. As we approached Indiana Jones Adventure we started to notice that the 4 CMs that had stood in front of the entrance (and behind a rope) had turned into just 1 CM and we was now holding the rope. Could we be this lucky?

"C'mon Sterg, I think they are opening up the ride!"

Indeed they were! We got into a line that was rapidly filling with people pushing in from all sides and started to make out way through the outdoor queue.

2012JO%27s%20183-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20184-XL.jpg

I tried to take as many pictures as I could and try to appreciate the effort made by the Imagineers, but the crowd was pushing us faster than I wanted.

2012JO%27s%20185-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20187-XL.jpg

You start to get an idea of a storyline as you approach the temple - obviously snakes are going to be part of the ride ( why did it have to be snakes ?) and the theming was
reflecting an Indian influence.

2012JO%27s%20188-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20189-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20186-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
We are away for the weekend. Whitewater rafting up near Jim thorpe, Pa. So we are on the bus on the way to the river, passing through Jim Thorpe and our guide is giving us the 5 min tour of the town. He gets to the beautiful mansion on the hill owned by the Packer family - and right next to it is another mansion that was owned by the same family and is considered haunted. The guide went on to say that the "haunted mansion" was the model for the haunted mansion in WDW.

I knew that the HM was modeled after a real mansion but never knew it was so close to me. Of course Sterg had to add " Wow, fractal didn't know that."

It was hard to get a good look of it through the trees and a moving bus - but we may do a tour of the mansions tomorrow. If so, I'll post photos.

sweetpee_1993

Wow! Fractal didn't know! I love that! They're such little wisecrackers!!! LOL! Fascinating, indeed. If you get the chance definitely take a bazillion pics for us!

DznyRktekt

Tell him if he keeps it up you'll post some embarrassing stories about him begging to ride It's a Small World and send the link to his buddies.

chrissyw14

We are away for the weekend. Whitewater rafting up near Jim thorpe, Pa. So we are on the bus on the way to the river, passing through Jim Thorpe and our guide is giving us the 5 min tour of the town. He gets to the beautiful mansion on the hill owned by the Packer family - and right next to it is another mansion that was owned by the same family and is considered haunted. The guide went on to say that the "haunted mansion" was the model for the haunted mansion in WDW.

I knew that the HM was modeled after a real mansion but never knew it was so close to me. Of course Sterg had to add " Wow, fractal didn't know that."

It was hard to get a good look of it through the trees and a moving bus - but we may do a tour of the mansions tomorrow. If so, I'll post photos.
Thanks for posting this! I'm about 2 hours away and want to show my family so maybe I'd get to see it! It looks awesome

TP2000

I thought the official Disney line had always been that WDW's 1971 Haunted Mansion was modeled after mansions found in the "Hudson River Valley" of New York?

fractal

Original Poster
from the website...
overlooking the town. The mansion's impressive facade could have been taken from a Gothic novel, so much so that the building's design caught the eye of Disney Imagineers and it became the model for Walt Disney World's "Haunted Mansion!" The interior however is anything but spooky
http://www.murdermansion.com/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom