Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Laurenciaa

Look at this beautiful home! I wonder what's inside?... [...]

2012JOs143.jpg

I know I am two years late on commenting on this TR but I've been reading this TR this weekend and boy this photo made me laugh ! She's got a serious case of a "duckface" going on ! HAHA oh silly me, a true highlight during my exams :) Anyway I read some here that you were planning on another trip(report) in 2015... Hourayy !

fractal

Original Poster
I know I am two years late on commenting on this TR but I've been reading this TR this weekend and boy this photo made me laugh ! She's got a serious case of a "duckface" going on ! HAHA oh silly me, a true highlight during my exams :) Anyway I read some here that you were planning on another trip(report) in 2015... Hourayy !

Lol - "duckface" for sure. :D Thanks for reading! Yes, hopefully we will be back in 2015 ( or maybe a cruise?? ). It's funny looking back at some of my pictures from this trip (Disneyland) how I wish I would have taken ( or edited ) them differently. I also now wish I would have taken more video.

FlaggNL

Hej Fractal, an old TR, but a very great one! Guess we won't be in Cali in this lifetime, but al least WDW in October :) Thanks for sharing and great great pictures!!

fractal

Original Poster
Hej Fractal, an old TR, but a very great one! Guess we won't be in Cali in this lifetime, but al least WDW in October :) Thanks for sharing and great great pictures!!

Thanks Flagg! You never know - going to Walt's original park is pretty special. :D

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on WDW overall and specifically in comparison to DLP. I'm sure you are counting down the days.

FlaggNL

Thanks Flagg! You never know - going to Walt's original park is pretty special. :D

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on WDW overall and specifically in comparison to DLP. I'm sure you are counting down the days.

Absolutely right about counting down. Starting a PTR today :) And I will definately wtire a TR during or after our October '14 trip! A lot of comparison with DLP will be a part of it. A lot of European ppl that are already went to WDW and compare it with DLP says that DLP looks newer so more beautiful. Glad that we can see that with our own eyes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom