Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I'm glad a WDW visitor has said it. Folks, please don't get too excited over Mermaid. It's a dark ride in the sense of a classic Fantasyland dark ride. Don't get too excited and you won't be upset.

Uncle Lupe

If either of you are in Pensacola, Florida I highly recommend the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station. The museum is incredible. Displays that you walk thru that make you feel like you're in that time and place being portrayed.

We were going to go there but a hurricane changed our plans that year.

@fractal Are you using your cameras default settings or you trying to adjust shutter speeds? Your Grizzly Falls pics look vibrant.

TP2000

I'm glad a WDW visitor has said it. Folks, please don't get too excited over Mermaid. It's a dark ride in the sense of a classic Fantasyland dark ride. Don't get too excited and you won't be upset.

No kidding!

At DCA, the Little Mermaid ride is fantastic because it replaced a boring, lame history movie that practically no one bothered to go see. Having Mermaid in DCA is a big win, because it's always a 5 minute wait for a 6 minute cutesy Princess ride that the chicks dig.

At Magic Kingdom Park, where it might be touted as the first big new ride since Splash Mountain 20 years ago because.... well, because that's what it is at Magic Kingdom Park. And then it's going to have NextGen Fastpass at Magic Kingdom, which means a majority of people will get a Fastpass and plan their day around it, and the rest will wait more than 30 minutes for it, and both of those demographics will think "That's it?!?".

Little Mermaid at DCA is fun and fine for what it is, especially because it was followed up a year later by Cars Land and four brand new attractions in the same park. At Magic Kingdom Park, with the way TDO plans to operate it and market it, Little Mermaid.... might not be so succesful. :oops:

TP2000

Now to the ride. If you are a fan of Soarin', but like me are bummed with the state of its condition in Epcot, a flight to California to experience it at DCA may alone be worth the price of the ticket. In a word - it's flawless. The picture is clean and crisp, and ALL the smells are back! I literally had a tear in my eye flying over the orange groves and taking in the citrus smell. The difference is that when this ride is in its proper condition - it transports you.

And there we are! :D

I have often said that the difference in maintenance and upkeep between Disneyland and WDW was most noticeable in the big animatronic E Tickets and the highly technical rides like Soarin'. (Even though some on these boards, many of whom have never been to Disneyland, find it annoying that I would dare point that out, since Orlando must surely be the finest theme park operation in existence and little, silly Anaheim could never compare!)

How brave of you, fractal, to also notice the exact same thing and state it publicly! And you are so right, that Soarin' is so much more enjoyable when it is in good working order and properly maintained. And the thing that really drives this point home is that Soarin' at DCA is almost five years older than the newer Epcot version and DCA is a park that has had several major attractions open in the last few years which could easily push Soarin' down the ladder on maintenance and upkeep, if you followed the TDO management model. But in Anaheim, even though Soarin' is just an older E Ticket in a park with several major new rides and expansion areas opened in the last 18 months, it is still maintained expertly and lovingly. Just as the way it should be.

Funny how that difference is there between the two coasts, isn't it? :cool:

Californian Elitist

No kidding!

At DCA, the Little Mermaid ride is fantastic because it replaced a boring, lame history movie that practically no one bothered to go see. Having Mermaid in DCA is a big win, because it's always a 5 minute wait for a 6 minute cutesy Princess ride that the chicks dig.

At Magic Kingdom Park, where it might be touted as the first big new ride since Splash Mountain 20 years ago because.... well, because that's what it is at Magic Kingdom Park. And then it's going to have NextGen Fastpass at Magic Kingdom, which means a majority of people will get a Fastpass and plan their day around it, and the rest will wait more than 30 minutes for it, and both of those demographics will think "That's it?!?".

Little Mermaid at DCA is fun and fine for what it is, especially because it was followed up a year later by Cars Land and four brand new attractions in the same park. At Magic Kingdom Park, with the way TDO plans to operate it and market it, Little Mermaid.... might not be so succesful. :oops:

EXACTLY.

Gojira ゴジラ

We stayed 4 nights at the Grand Californian. It's really not worth the money. The only awesome thing about the hotel -as you mentioned it- is the super short distance to DCA and DL. Good if you have small kids. But other than that the quality of everything there is mediocre (we did not try the spa though).

minnielaw

Just caught back up on the trip report and I must say, "Awesome job Chris!!"

With two boys, one almost 14 and one turning 12, I am weeping at your description of the change in the relationship. :( My 13 year old is definitely changing and I can see the beginnings of the "I'm too cool for that" phase. I have a feeling that our upcoming trip may be the last one where he is truly excited....at least until he becomes an adult!

Love your gorgeous photos and the detail you provide. I would love to visit Disneyland someday. My mom, dad, sister and brother lived in CA while my dad was in the Air Force (before I was born) and they have all experienced Disneyland in the 1960's.

How cool that you saw Kevin Costner!! My boys wouldn't know who he was either...sad. I can well imagine that he appeared bewildered...probably not used to being out in public and not being recognized.

Can't wait to see how it ends :)

fractal

Original Poster
I LOVE Bull Durham and Field of Dreams!!! Two of my favorite movies EVER!!! (I love sports movies) That's super cool that you got to see him in person. The only really famous person I've ever been in the presence of was David Ortiz (Red Sox player - He was rehabbing his injury in the city I live in with the Sopx minor league team and offered me his chicken wings and rested his arm on my shoulder lol) and I also know a couple other baseball players on the Red Sox (the perks of having a good friend work for their minor league team!! lol)

The other one is The Natural. A lot of great baseball movies out there! Great story, I hope you got pictures. Ortiz is my favorite Red Sox!

Yep, 2 rounds. The first time the upper brackets came off it was less than a week and I noticed he didn't look right. Took him back to the ortho and his entire right side had pushed back in and thrown everything off. He sleeps on his stomach with his face on his arm. Also, the way he grows is different from one side to the other. That's what caused his problems to begin with. He never had crooked teeth, they just didn't meet up in the back and he couldn't chew meat very well. For years I thought he was just being picky when he'd refuse to eat meat. The only time he could get it down was if he swallowed it with water. Then we found out it was because he couldn't chew it up sufficiently. Talk about feeling like the winner of lousiest mom of the decade! Sheesh! So he ended up going back into brackets on top. 18 months was more like 3 years. Didn't cost anymore, thankfully. We paid for it all 100% out of pocket. :eek:

I gotcha! Can you believe I've never seen Hercules??? When we saw the Villian's Tonight stage show on the Dream last September it was a similar situation because I wasn't familiar with Hades or Pain & Panic. The entire show is about Hades getting his wicked back. I thoroughly enjoyed the show but definitely felt like there was a blank I should fill to get the full effect. Chandler's favorites weren't even big screen fodder! He loved Rolie Polie Olie & the Brave Little Toaster movies. LOL! Brian? Jurassic Park and Dinosaur! :D

Wow! Poor Kid. I'm sure you're a great Mom. It's easy as a parent to dismiss a child complaining as an attempt to garner attention. I've been guilty of that. As someone that also paid out of pocket for braces (twice), I can certainly understand.

You must watch Hercules! It very funny with great music. James Woods is awesome as Hades and the movie is loaded with adult humor that flies right over the kid's heads.
I'll watch Cars if you watch Hercules. Deal?

I agree with ya...I hate all of the prequels... Acting is terrible and Yoda talks more of his jumbled talk then he ever did in ESB and ROTJ....

They were very annoying! Did we really need CGI versions of C3PO and R2? They looked so much better in the originals.

fractal

Original Poster
Great photos of the Grand Californian. Wish I had the money to stay there!

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy Soarin' Over California! You're the first person I know who cried during the ride.:)

Well, let's stick with "tears in my eye" - probably due to allergies. I have a reputation to uphold. :D

Being a pretty woman does not help at all. :D I'm jealous, the only baseball player I've meet was John Rocker. That was at a church in Macon, GA. A few weeks before the Sports Illustrated article broke. We know how well that went over.

Great update Fractal! Sterg should have over played being hit by the stroller so you could get a better picture. Just think a picture of you, Costner and your Star Wars shirt could have been in People magazine.

"Kevin Costner hits tourist with stroller but stops to apologize and pose for pics to make amends." - Picture courtesy Fractal, WDW Magic contributor.

Also, if you like aviation history visit the United States Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. If you are in that area and like that stuff it is a really cool place to see. Not Disney/Kevin Costner cool, but cool.

Thanks! I definitely was not thinking quick enough to blackmail Costner. I love your way of thinking!
Thanks for the tip on the USAF Museum. Always looking to add some culture to our lives.
Nothing is as cool as Disney/Kevin Costner! Maybe if I would have bumped into Chuck Norris.

If either of you are in Pensacola, Florida I highly recommend the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station. The museum is incredible. Displays that you walk thru that make you feel like you're in that time and place being portrayed. I've been to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in DC and was highly disappointed. The historic aircraft and artifacts there are incomparable but the presentation cannot touch what the Naval Air Museum has. Personally, I think it's every bit as cool as Disney and/or Mr. Costner but then I suppose that depends on how much of an aviation nut you are. :D

Great update to the report, Chris! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I so want to see the displays in line for Soarin'. I imagine we'll spend quite a bit of time letting people pass us up so we can enjoy it all. LOL!

The Grand Californian looks wonderful! I want to stay there someday!!!!

I don't know; Disney/Costner is pretty cool! Thanks for the tip - I would love to check out that museum.
Soarin was great! I would love to stay at the Grand Californian - my guess is that's where Kevin Costner stayed. :)

The Grand Californian Lobby is stunning. I remember there being about a dozen or so little Mission style leather chairs for the kiddies. My son wanted to take one home. Also thought the carpet and marble/granite tile patterns flowing into one another were gorgeous. I'd love to stay threre someday as well!

Lol! Yeah, I have a nice spot as well for one of those chairs! Would have loved to spend more time there and also see it during the day.

fractal

Original Poster
We were going to go there but a hurricane changed our plans that year.

@fractal Are you using your cameras default settings or you trying to adjust shutter speeds? Your Grizzly Falls pics look vibrant.

I was using both auto setting and manual ( or program ). I think for the night time pictures I used "program" to up the ISO and let the camera do the rest.
But thanks anyway! I think I did a much better job with photos on this trip vs. our last trip to WDW.

No kidding!

Unfortunately, I think your are correct. Thank God they decided to add on the 7 dwarfs mine coaster!

And there we are! :D

I have often said that the difference in maintenance and upkeep between Disneyland and WDW was most noticeable in the big animatronic E Tickets and the highly technical rides like Soarin'. (Even though some on these boards, many of whom have never been to Disneyland, find it annoying that I would dare point that out, since Orlando must surely be the finest theme park operation in existence and little, silly Anaheim could never compare!)

How brave of you, fractal, to also notice the exact same thing and state it publicly! And you are so right, that Soarin' is so much more enjoyable when it is in good working order and properly maintained. And the thing that really drives this point home is that Soarin' at DCA is almost five years older than the newer Epcot version and DCA is a park that has had several major attractions open in the last few years which could easily push Soarin' down the ladder on maintenance and upkeep, if you followed the TDO management model. But in Anaheim, even though Soarin' is just an older E Ticket in a park with several major new rides and expansion areas opened in the last 18 months, it is still maintained expertly and lovingly. Just as the way it should be.

Funny how that difference is there between the two coasts, isn't it? :cool:

OK - now you're just trying to get me in trouble! :D I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

We stayed 4 nights at the Grand Californian. It's really not worth the money. The only awesome thing about the hotel -as you mentioned it- is the super short distance to DCA and DL. Good if you have small kids. But other than that the quality of everything there is mediocre (we did not try the spa though).

Interesting input. It sure as heck ain't cheap!

Just caught back up on the trip report and I must say, "Awesome job Chris!!"

With two boys, one almost 14 and one turning 12, I am weeping at your description of the change in the relationship. :( My 13 year old is definitely changing and I can see the beginnings of the "I'm too cool for that" phase. I have a feeling that our upcoming trip may be the last one where he is truly excited....at least until he becomes an adult!

Love your gorgeous photos and the detail you provide. I would love to visit Disneyland someday. My mom, dad, sister and brother lived in CA while my dad was in the Air Force (before I was born) and they have all experienced Disneyland in the 1960's.

How cool that you saw Kevin Costner!! My boys wouldn't know who he was either...sad. I can well imagine that he appeared bewildered...probably not used to being out in public and not being recognized.

Can't wait to see how it ends :)

Thanks! Glad you are reading along!

It's just different. I think deep down they enjoy the parks just as much, it's just that they have trouble showing it on the outside. DL in the 60's must have been truly magical! Kevin Costner at Disney was about as cool as it gets! :)

TP2000

We finished our meal then took some more pictures around Hollywoodland. Muppet 3-D was right next door. I appreciated the effort, but the exterior themeing was no where near DHS.

2012JOs241.jpg

Interesting thing here is that this corner of the park actually used to be much worse!

Your journey in this back corner of Hollywood Land led you to one of the few remaining pockets of DCA 1.0 that was not touched in the 1.1 Billion Dollar Extreme Makeover of 2009-12. But back in 2005 this area got a minor cosmetic upgrade that brought in more trees and landscaping, a fountain, new signage and street furniture, and upgraded the exteriors of many of the buildings with more detail and theme. It was called "Placemaking" at the time, and in '05 and '06 it was the hot buzzword on the Internetz as then-president Matt Ouimet was trying to improve the aesthetic appearance of DCA. They were working with budgets barely in the tens of millions of dollars, but it was an improvement, albeit a modest one. It branded this corner as "Hollywood Studios", which didn't exist when the park opened in 2001. This was the same time that the Monsters Inc. dark ride opened to replace the infamous Superstar Limo.

Here's what this rather bleak corner of the park looked like in 2001, only after they quickly built the Millionaire studio in late '01;

rizzo_0.jpg

Yikes! :eek:

The Placemaking projects were put on hold in '06 after they plussed up and re-branded some of the "Backlot" area, but only because it morphed into a much, much bigger project that was announced officially in October, 2007 as the 1.1 Billion Dollar Extreme Makeover of DCA that got construction underway in late '08.

This corner of DCA used to be much worse! But that corner from MuppetVision to the Mad Arcade is still left over from DCA 1.0. It's no wonder they have turned it into a series of themed dance party areas since 2010; Glow Fest, elecTRONica, and now Mad T Party.

It's widely rumored that this corner of DCA is on the radar at WDI for future expansion and replacement of the existing under-utilized facilities and attractions.

PartOfYourWorld

Awwwww disappointed in your review of The Little Mermaid. I know it's going to be cheesy and probably be the same as what you described above, but a little part of me is hoping they learned in WDW? but probably not..anywhoo as you can probably tell, I'm still very excited for Prince Eric's castle to come along in MK :) Along with the ride, that I have been waiting for for a very long time! Ariel didn't get enough recoginition in my opinion!

Glad to see Soarin was in good sorts at DCA. I'm not a fan of it to begin with at EPCOT, but the last time I was on it the screen had some sort of Mark on it at some points...And just wasn't clean like you said. Personally, I don't think it's worth any wait at EPCOT; especially in the state it's in.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Nice Costner sighting! Love Field of Dreams one of my favorite all times.

Sterg's comment so resembles my daughters wonderful teenage speak..."creeper" that's a classic. I don't think my wife or I can show interest in anything without being accused of this crime.

Ahhhh Soarin' the way it should be!!?? What a great experience. The fact that we have to experience it the way we do and all that with the lack of any kind of interesting queue is inexplicable!

Little Mermaid is exactly how I pictured it and it reminds of an "update" of the classics like PPF and SWSA...so no disappointment there just what I would expect.

Keep it coming Fractal! Loving every minute of this TR!

fractal

Original Poster
We exited TLM to find the crowd had grew waiting for The World of Color.
i-4QB9F8S-XL.jpg

This was a show I really wanted to see - just like Fantasmic!. If I were with Toni ( my 10 year old daughter) we would have opted to find a spot and watch the show. As I was trying to explain to Sterg - "it's a show with projections on water fountains and music and..."

"Can we just go back to Carsland?" was his answer.

So we did.

i-7vBVXtK-XL.jpg

As cool as CL looks during the day, it really shines at night. The lighting of Radiator Springs serves as a majestic backdrop to the florescent signs illuminating the street.

i-3gnZfFL-XL.jpg

i-vv3SLkf-XL.jpg

We decided to see how things stood at RSR. Oh, still an 150 minute wait, with the single rider line significantly longer than it was early. We decided to skip the ride and take a few pics instead.

i-kSr9CDT-XL.jpg

What do you think of Sterg's sweatshirt?

i-sCGCmj2-XL.jpg

i-sMXGfj3-XL.jpg

It's just such a neat and original spot. The only downside was the crowd of people who also couldn't get enough.

i-4ZwZPxk-XL.jpg

i-bptf4gb-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
The real star of the strip is Flo's V8 Cafe. The place looks great all lit up!

i-R5MJTwD-XL.jpg

A decent shot looking down the street. We made our way over to the Cozy Cone Motel - behind which are several food stands serving out of giant traffic cones.
i-QLcxJHC-XL.jpg

I really liked how they did this area and I wasn't the only one; we waited 20 minutes for a soft serve ice cream cone.

i-BTxVqkN-XL.jpg

Sterg chilling on a cone waiting for a cone.

i-g5sBbgJ-XL.jpg

I'm sure this was an important text.

i-fvtMQt5-XL.jpg

After eating our ice cream while taking in Carsland, we headed over to ToT to turn in our fast passes.

i-XrJNKzG-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm loving your TR. It has been a long while since I've visited DL. As a Mom of a 24 year old all I can say once it starts, wait for it...they do come around again but it isn't as quick. My DD came around quickly as the estrogen levels balanced. ManChild, well it took around 5 freak'n long years, midway through college an anvil must have knocked the ghost out of my DS and he did return. This past April I went to see him at WDW all by myself without DH or DD and we had an all grown-up blast of a time. This time he made all the arrangements for the trip for me, picked the restaurant and showed me around his new home in his new state. Kinda cool.

ksr99

Absolutely great trip report so far! I've been thinking of surprising my wife with a trip out there for a week for her birthday. You think a week would give us enough time to check things out?(Both her and I have never been there, so I will be just as confused at first as you two were. I know Disney World like the back of my hand!) Also you got to look at the Grand California hotel, worth staying at?

fractal

Original Poster
Interesting thing here is that this corner of the park actually used to be much worse!

Your journey in this back corner of Hollywood Land led you to one of the few remaining pockets of DCA 1.0 that was not touched in the 1.1 Billion Dollar Extreme Makeover of 2009-12. But back in 2005 this area got a minor cosmetic upgrade that brought in more trees and landscaping, a fountain, new signage and street furniture, and upgraded the exteriors of many of the buildings with more detail and theme. It was called "Placemaking" at the time, and in '05 and '06 it was the hot buzzword on the Internetz as then-president Matt Ouimet was trying to improve the aesthetic appearance of DCA. They were working with budgets barely in the tens of millions of dollars, but it was an improvement, albeit a modest one. It branded this corner as "Hollywood Studios", which didn't exist when the park opened in 2001. This was the same time that the Monsters Inc. dark ride opened to replace the infamous Superstar Limo.

Here's what this rather bleak corner of the park looked like in 2001, only after they quickly built the Millionaire studio in late '01;

rizzo_0.jpg

Yikes! :eek:

The Placemaking projects were put on hold in '06 after they plussed up and re-branded some of the "Backlot" area, but only because it morphed into a much, much bigger project that was announced officially in October, 2007 as the 1.1 Billion Dollar Extreme Makeover of DCA that got construction underway in late '08.

This corner of DCA used to be much worse! But that corner from MuppetVision to the Mad Arcade is still left over from DCA 1.0. It's no wonder they have turned it into a series of themed dance party areas since 2010; Glow Fest, elecTRONica, and now Mad T Party.

It's widely rumored that this corner of DCA is on the radar at WDI for future expansion and replacement of the existing under-utilized facilities and attractions.

Wow, you're right - it did used to look a lot worse! We enjoyed the Hollywoodland area.

Awwwww disappointed in your review of The Little Mermaid. I know it's going to be cheesy and probably be the same as what you described above, but a little part of me is hoping they learned in WDW? but probably not..anywhoo as you can probably tell, I'm still very excited for Prince Eric's castle to come along in MK :) Along with the ride, that I have been waiting for for a very long time! Ariel didn't get enough recoginition in my opinion!

Glad to see Soarin was in good sorts at DCA. I'm not a fan of it to begin with at EPCOT, but the last time I was on it the screen had some sort of Mark on it at some points...And just wasn't clean like you said. Personally, I don't think it's worth any wait at EPCOT; especially in the state it's in.

I think FLE and Prince Eric's castle will look great - just know that TLM is not an E-ticket. Great move that they added the 7 dwarfs mine coaster.
Soarin' was wonderful! Thanks for reading along!

Nice Costner sighting! Love Field of Dreams one of my favorite all times.

Sterg's comment so resembles my daughters wonderful teenage speak..."creeper" that's a classic. I don't think my wife or I can show interest in anything without being accused of this crime.

Ahhhh Soarin' the way it should be!!?? What a great experience. The fact that we have to experience it the way we do and all that with the lack of any kind of interesting queue is inexplicable!

Little Mermaid is exactly how I pictured it and it reminds of an "update" of the classics like PPF and SWSA...so no disappointment there just what I would expect.

Keep it coming Fractal! Loving every minute of this TR!

I hate when they say "creeper" - I want to smack em but if I do they cry "child abuse". Fricken teenagers!

Yes- I loved Soarin' at DCA! Its a shame the EPCOT version can't give you the same experience.

Thanks and thanks for following!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom