Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Now I understand why everyone else was raving in advance about your TR's! Your pictures are very, very good (without relying on trendy digital tricks to make them "pop"), and your commentary is very interesting.... Especially interesting to see Disneyland through a first-time visitor's eyes!

Thanks for the fun read and great pictures. I can't wait until this TR gets to.... Cars Land. :)

Californian Elitist

Yes - we did get to ride Indy! Didn't know that! The Dole stand was closed when I went in the morning and the other times I passed it the line was too long for me. That would be awesome to have one while in the Tiki Room!

Yay! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Indy. Darn, I need to make a list of things to do at DL. Doesn't matter anyway, since the Dole stand was closed.

fractal

Original Poster
Wow, Chris! Your pics are really great! I'm totally lovin' all the details! Can't wait to see more!

I can identify with your initial discombobulation at DL. I felt much the same way during and after my first Disney cruise. It was familiar and comforting in that it definitely felt like my beloved Disney yet everything was unfamiliar and strange to me. I was somewhat sad thinking the disconnect meant I didn't like it after I had spent so much time building myself up to the experience. But then the hubby reminded me that it was lack of familiarity that was throwing me after having spent so many vacations completely sure of every move I was making. If that makes any sense. LOL!

Thanks! I was overall happy with my pictures from this trip. I've come a long way in that regard, having been inspired by the great photographers on this site.

That does make sense! When we went to the Florida Keys, the first day or so was a bit difficult until I got a "lay of the land". Disneyland tricks you, though - you think you know where you are going but then you walk into a wall ( or an Astro Orbitor ). :)

The astro orbiter was originally placed atop the people mover platform much like the WDW version. It was moved to its current location during the Tomorowland changes in 1998 or so. Not a good move in my opinion.

Love how you are on a mission at Disneyland. I would be doing the same, but my son is 3 and I'd probably get in trouble if I left him back at the hotel. ;)

Lol! I definitely was on a mission! Yeah, that probably wouldn't be a good idea. :D

Great stuff so far, Chris! Thanks for sharing! :cool: Can't wait for the rest.

Thanks!

Uncle Lupe

Now I understand why everyone else was raving in advance about your TR's! Your pictures are very, very good (without relying on trendy digital tricks to make them "pop"), and your commentary is very interesting.... Especially interesting to see Disneyland through a first-time visitor's eyes!

Thanks for the fun read and great pictures. I can't wait until this TR gets to.... Cars Land. :)

You should read his other TR. Freaking great! It got me primed for my trip and TR.

fractal

Original Poster
Loving this trip report. Did you find it odd you actually walk up the stairs, onto the porch and into the front door for Mansion?

Actually, I thought that was great - like walking into a real home!

Thanks! California Adventure park blew me away!

fractal

Original Poster
Yay! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Indy. Darn, I need to make a list of things to do at DL. Doesn't matter anyway, since the Dole stand was closed.

Loved Indy! Yes - although I had no problem consuming a Dole Whip at 9am, the stand didn't open until later.

The place looks beautiful but to see stuff like that in the background kinda ruins the effect.

Your bride looks like she sat on thumb tack.

Lol! I know, I thought the same. I have another picture of her with a "better" face, but the picture itself is not as clear. To be honest, I don't remember seeing SM while I took the picture - only after I saw the picture. But that is a disadvantage of a smaller park.

You should read his other TR. Freaking great! It got me primed for my trip and TR.

Stop, you're making me blush! and your report wasn't chopped liver...

ExtinctJenn

I'm loving this report because it's from a WDW guest's perspective. It seems many of the comparisons I've heard aren't 100% dead on so it's really interesting to see all of this in trip report form. I can only imagine how lost I'd be entering DL and I too would almost certainly forget to grab a map just because instinct says I know my way. :)

mamamouse

UGH!!!! I wanna go there like today!!! lol 41 days to go until WDW though so that'll have to do(psst guess who is finally gonna make it to the beach club??? yup me but that won't be until January)

DznyRktekt

(psst guess who is finally gonna make it to the beach club??? yup me but that won't be until January)

I would love to stay at the Beach Club. Maybe someday, but I'm afraid once we stay at a Deluxe, we won't want to stay anywhere else. Have a great time, and stay warm!

Ariel484

Completely agree, especially with the bolded part. I may have missed it elsewhere, but did you get a new camera or just practice lots with one you already had?

LOVE the report so far. You're making me want to go to Disneyland in the worst way.

fractal

Original Poster
Although we didn't ride the Nemo Subs, I felt the lagoon and the subs crisscrossing added wonderful atmosphere to the park.

2012JO%27s%20160-XL.jpg

Hey! Look who showed up. Good Morning Sunshine!

2012JO%27s%20164-XL.jpg

Sterg is at the age where he is trying too hard to be cool and/or funny. When his sisters are around he torments them with his antics. As much as he finds that amusing, Val and I find it very irritating. That is the thing that gets him in the most trouble. Other than that he's mostly a great kid.

On this trip, without the "girls", he was very different. Much more serious and calm. He still tried to be "cool" by not wanting to pose for pictures or go on certain rides. Many times I felt like I had more "childhood excitement" in me than he did. I also had moments when I felt that he had lost his love for Disney - outgrown it for now - but was tagging along for my sake. It was an uncomfortable feeling, but then he would do something or say something that brought out the 11 year old boy that couldn't sleep when we told him we were going to WDW.

StarTours 2.0 was his choice for the next ride. In Disneyland there is no forest of Endor themeing. Just a building with a "futuristic looking" sign.

2012JO%27s%20163-XL.jpg

We went standby (20min wait) and actually started in another building or part of the same building but different entrance. The queue wrapped around in a rope line inside a big room that played music from Star Wars. Then the line came outside and then into the "real" entrance and then another queue line that replicated the queue in DHS.

2012JO%27s%20166-XL.jpg

It's a Trap!
2012JO%27s%20167-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20169-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
"Sterg, look at C3PO going through the scanner!" I would say excitingly.
"OK Dad, calm down" he replied.

2012JO%27s%20170-XL.jpg

See what I mean. If he was 11-12 years old he would be more excited than me "Wow, that's cool! Do you think he's really behind there??". But now that excitement is either bottled up inside or gone all together. I think part of it is him trying to be his own person. My "sidekick" has rebelled and is looking to be his own man. This is a tough spot for a father because you are still supporting him in every way (including financially) but have to allow more slack on the leach if you want the son to grow. Coexisting is more difficult with the "black and whites" of the relationship becoming much more gray.

Here is one thing we did agree on - this guy in the Star Tours queue is absolutely hilarious! Just like in DHS, I was hoping the line would slow down enough to hear the entire schtick.

2012JO%27s%20173-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20175-XL.jpg

I did find out Sterg will pose for a picture for a stranger. I was sporting my Father's Day gift. Disney - where a mid 40 year old man can wear a Star Wars shirt without feeling self-conscience.

2012JO%27s%20177-XL.jpg

The ride was great! Amazingly, we got the 2 scenes we didn't see last year; The Vader opening scene and the Pod Race. This ride is a hoot!

2012JO%27s%20179-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20178-XL.jpg

After ST we made our way back to Adventureland to check if Indy was up. By now the morning overcast sky burned off to reveal the sky one sees 90% of the time in California - clear and blue. Notice how the Tiki room is actually in front of the Adventureland sign -also notice how the crowd has increased.

2012JO%27s%20182-XL.jpg

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

I am dreading those days where my son starts to think he's too cool for Disney but hoping that because we're over the top Disney crazed in our house, it won't happen. Or maybe that'll be even more reason it will. He's got quite a few years left before that happens though... I think. :)

sweetpee_1993

Oh yes. I know this "cool" act moreso from my older brother in his teen years than my boys. My older brother was too cool for himself when we were teenagers. Seriously. I don't know what it is with my boys. They have no problem acting like complete idiots in the public. They, too, think I get too excited over insignificant things, tho. When they tell me, "Calm down, Mom. It's not that cool." I just spout back with "If it was (Call of Duty) or (Assassins Creed) you'd be geekin on it so you can leave me alone now." It's so true, too. I wouldn't get on my knees in a store to beg for Mickey drawers but Chandler had no problem doing that at Kohls so I'd buy him Call of Duty boxers. Go figure, right?

Amen to the bliss of separating your offspring! Brian just spent a week at Nana's house. Home was amazingly peaceful. I missed the kid when he wasn't here but not the chaos. Imagine if you had TWO of those teenage boys constantly battling for the ultimate in relentlessness on one-upping the other! OMG! I need a big stick!

Did the Nemo subs maintain long waits??? I should pay attention to these things more on the DL Lines app. Star Tours looked pretty similar to it's other coast counterpart with the exception of the Endor portion of the line. Love your Star Wars tee! Very cool even on a 40 yro NOT in a Disney park. Wow! Adventureland did fill up with people!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did the Nemo subs maintain long waits??? I should pay attention to these things more on the DL Lines app. Star Tours looked pretty similar to it's other coast counterpart with the exception of the Endor portion of the line. Love your Star Wars tee! Very cool even on a 40 yro NOT in a Disney park. Wow! Adventureland did fill up with people!

Yes, Star Tours is virtually identical sans
- the extended indoor queue in DL (which it sounds like fractal had to walk through) - it's themed like the main room, just with nothing really in there :)
- nothing on the outside at DL where DHS has the endor movie set
- DHS has more cabins, so the loading area differs, but nothing worthy of mention

So basically, once you walk in the door at DHS and get past the 'hot set' signage.. it's identical

fractal

Original Poster
I'm loving this report because it's from a WDW guest's perspective. It seems many of the comparisons I've heard aren't 100% dead on so it's really interesting to see all of this in trip report form. I can only imagine how lost I'd be entering DL and I too would almost certainly forget to grab a map just because instinct says I know my way. :)

Thanks - I didn't really want to compare and contrast but once I got to DL I found it impossible to not and found it fun to do.

UGH!!!! I wanna go there like today!!! lol 41 days to go until WDW though so that'll have to do(psst guess who is finally gonna make it to the beach club??? yup me but that won't be until January)

I wish I were going to WDW in 40 days! You are going to love Beach Club! Wow, 2 trips in 6 months? that's great!

I would love to stay at the Beach Club. Maybe someday, but I'm afraid once we stay at a Deluxe, we won't want to stay anywhere else. Have a great time, and stay warm!

The Epcot resorts are great. Try BC and then you can always stay at Swan or Dolphin if you like the area but don't want to spend Deluxe rates.

Completely agree, especially with the bolded part. I may have missed it elsewhere, but did you get a new camera or just practice lots with one you already had?

LOVE the report so far. You're making me want to go to Disneyland in the worst way.

Thanks! I'm using the same camera as last year. Sony NEX-3 mirrorless. I just have another year under my belt.:)
Wait until I get into DCA...

Great updates! Goodness, I hope Indy wasn't down. I'm dying to hear your thoughts already.

soon, soon...:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom