Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Just watched a video on YouTube, the piranhas were a neat effect. Never watched one on Disneyland just figured they were close to the same. I just wonder how much the Southern California weather helps with general upkeep of the park?

fractal

Original Poster
Loving your trip report because so much of your impressions are the same as mine where on my first trip to DL in November, 2011. We loved it so much, and after being a die-hard WDW fanatic since my first trip at age 3 in 1976 - DL actually became my favorite Disney park. It is just magical in a really special way. Can't wait to read the rest of your report!

thanks! DL is really a special place. As a Disney fan i feel very fortunate to have had the chance to experience it.

Agreed.....I do like the side-by-side seating and the loading area, though...I think my daughter(6) would go on MK Space if it was side by side, we tried in June but she wanted to sit next to someone like BTMRR....

Did you make it on Radiator Springs Racers?

Not being side by side also took away from spash mountain @ DL.
We did get on RSR!

PolynesianPrincess

Loving all the comparisons are of attractions! I have heard PotC at DL is MUCH better than the one at MK and that Splash is better at MK. I've watched a video of a Splash ride through at DL and I wasn't impressed. Seemed kinda of just a quick blurr and no real story, which you confirmed. I also think the one by one is a little weird. I like the two by two at MK!

TP2000

Just watched a video on YouTube, the piranhas were a neat effect. Never watched one on Disneyland just figured they were close to the same. I just wonder how much the Southern California weather helps with general upkeep of the park?

There's much less mold and mildew (and its odor) in Southern California compared to Florida, but that's about it.

Disneyland had a dark period from about 1998 to 2003 when Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss were in charge, and upkeep got really shoddy and the place looked generally tired and faded. It was all turned around in stunning detail within 15 months from the winter of 2004 to the spring of 2005 with new executive leadership. Since '05 Disneyland management has done a good job of staying ahead of the curve on routine maintenance, and spending some decent cash to keep older things plussed up and improved (Space Mt., Fantasmic!, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Fantasyland dark rides, etc.)

Similarly, for much of the 20th century the WDW parks had top-notch maintenance and upkeep. Something happens in the executive suites to noticeably change the upkeep of the parks, you can't really blame the weather.

Californian Elitist

To me, the one by one makes more sense for Splash because you're in a log. Logs are long and narrow. They're not wide. Splash at DL fits better thematically in the land it's in, too. I still don't really like the ride, though.

fractal

Original Poster
Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye is right next to the Jungle Cruise (at least the entrance is). This morning however, and much to my dismay, Indy was not open and the CM's didn't know when or if it would open. So I turned around and headed for the entrance of Adventureland to try something that was new for me;

The Enchanted Tiki Room!

2012JO%27s%20115-XL.jpg

The waiting area before the show is loaded with little and big details. It also puts on it's own little show - courtesy of the "Tiki Gods". These purple flowers would grow then retract from their "pot"...

2012JO%27s%20116-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20122-XL.jpg

I enjoyed this water fountain ( although it reminded me of the last scene in Kill Bill ).
2012JO%27s%20114-XL.jpg

More "tikis"

2012JO%27s%20117-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20120-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20118-XL.jpg

After a short wait, it was time to enter the tiki room.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Most people will say you either "Love the Tiki Room or Hate the Tiki Room." That was certainly on display during my showing as several people knew and sang every word to every song while other people simply got up and left during the show.

As for me, I overall enjoyed it. Some of the music is upbeat and catchy ( which I like ) and some of it was a bit long, a bit boring and a bit old fashioned for my tastes. I did enjoy when the thunderstorm started and the tiki gods joined in! If you are a fan of Audio Animatronics, then you owe it to yourself to see this historic attraction. I've never sat through the Tiki Room in MK so unfortunately I can't help with any comparisons. I did feel it was something that Sterg would find I bit long and boring, which is why this was the first and only time I sat through it.

Now for some pics...
2012JO%27s%20123-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20125-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20126-XL.jpg

After the tiki-tiki-room, I again checked on Indian Jones. No luck. So I figured it was a good time to grab some breakfast. I grabbed a pineapple spear in Adventureland then walked out to the hub for a Jolly Holiday!

2012JO%27s%20080-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20370-XL.jpg

The rest of my breakfast consisted of a large coffee with cream, an oatmeal cookie, a quiet seat on the patio and a smorgasbord of sites and sounds around the Disneyland "hub"...

2012JO%27s%20371-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20151-XL.jpg

It was one of the finest meals I've ever had.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Oh man, I hope you were able to get on Indy at some point during your visit. Seeing the Tiki show is great, but seeing it while sipping on a Dole Whip is even better. I'm surprised they don't allow that at MK.

fractal

Original Poster
I finished my cookie, grabbed my coffee and headed back into Adventureland for another Indy check...

2012JO%27s%20154-XL.jpg

still closed.

Right next to Indy is the Tarzan Treehouse. I love Tarzan the movie and it was Sterg's favorite Disney movie when he was growing up. The treehouse looked great but I skipped it for now.

2012JO%27s%20129-X2.jpg

I then ran into these musical pirates -

2012JO%27s%20131-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20133-XL.jpg

Then continued along the Rivers of America. This is a beautiful spot with the river to your right and New Orleans square to your left. It is also an area that gives you an appreciation of the sized difference between DL and MK, especially when the crowds fill in. I do find Magic Kingdom along the river through Frontierland to be slightly more enjoyable. I like the decking at MK that creates a another pathway along the river which was missed at DL likely because of the lack of room.

2012JO%27s%20134-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20390-XL.jpg

Pirates Liar stood in place of Tom Sawyer's island...

2012JO%27s%20135-XL.jpg

My objective though, was to visit a stately Southern Mansion.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Did you find it difficult to get sucked in by the theme of the land with sight lines being dominated by the Big Thunder and the Matterhorn? I mean as much as a full grown adult can. When is Sterg getting out of bed?

fractal

Original Poster
So... I know you are going about this chronologically, but how did the water polo tournament pan out? Hopefully the miles logged, walking from E-ticket to E-ticket, gave young Sterg the warm-up he needed. ;)

Tournament went very well. Sterg play was good - scored 8 goals, had a bunch of assists and was good on defense. He did miss an overtimes "shootout" shot that would have sealed a win - but they ended up winning in double OT. The team was 3-5 in the tournament. They lost two games by a goal and were competitive in every game except against a great team from San Diego. His team only loses 2 players because of age, so their expectations for next year are pretty high.

I love all the added commentary about how you viewed Disneyland after going to WDW all those years and how it was confusing because of MK. I play Disneyland Adventures for my Xbox kinect so maybe I will have an easier time getting around Disneyland my first time haha. Your trip report is definitely making me want to go to Disneyland! Its just that WDW is sooo much easier to get to being in NJ. Have to pick the best airport to fly into and the best hotel for the price, WDW is just easier to plan! Hopefully sometime soon I will get to go.

Thanks! My biggest mistake was not getting a map. Hopefully you get to see DLR - If it wasn't for the waterpolo tournament I would not have.

Wow, you really liked Jungle Cruise, huh?

Yes, loved it!

fractal

Original Poster
Don't they do a great job with that kind of stuff at Disneyland?! :D

The absolute perfect Disneyland is the one in Tokyo, although the mind-boggling cleanliness and upkeep of that park is due in large part to the Japanese culture. But for American culture in the 21st century, Disneyland USA in Anaheim does a fantastic job of keeping things fresh and clean and firing on all 8 cylinders.

Disneyland isn't perfect, but it's close, and compared to the upkeep and maintenance of most of WDW's parks it's a noticeable difference. I've been noticing it for years.

It's quite telling that you as a lifelong WDW visitor also noticed it - and noticed it blatantly - within your first few hours of your very first Disneyland visit.

I'm reminded of a favorite Walt quote here... "Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney

The Jungle Cruise at Disneyland has a lot of heritage behind it, as the very first Jungle Cruise from 1955, and the one Walt kept coming back to and plussing right through the mid 1960's until his death. It helps that Disneyland management keeps it well maintained and plussed up and looking fresh. The WDW skippers have to lean heavily on their shtick and corny jokes because the scenery and ride they are touring is looking threadbare and rickety, whereas the Disneyland skippers can let the ride be the real star while they supply the witty commentary just below the main plotline. And that's a winning combination and exactly what Walt had in mind for the ride! Disneyland for the win.

And yes, it's impossible to take good pictures of the jumping Pirahnas. And no, don't think I didn't pick up on your comments about how pleasant Adventureland is in the morning when it's uncrowded. Adventureland on a summer late afternoon is a madhouse of people and strollers and frenzy. :rolleyes:

If I ever find myself in Japan I will make time for Disneyland and DisneySea! I was really impressed with Jungle Cruise and based on your info, is a testament to Walt himself.

fractal

Original Poster

Piranhas are very cool!

I thought the same thing about the weather (great minds???). I have to believe the low humidity plays a part - not to say that the management of the parks doesn't. I'm sure that also plays a big part in the upkeep.

Loving all the comparisons are of attractions! I have heard PotC at DL is MUCH better than the one at MK and that Splash is better at MK. I've watched a video of a Splash ride through at DL and I wasn't impressed. Seemed kinda of just a quick blurr and no real story, which you confirmed. I also think the one by one is a little weird. I like the two by two at MK!

Yes and more comparisons on the way ( despite having said before the trip that I wouldn't be comparing and contrasting :rolleyes: ).

There's much less mold and mildew (and its odor) in Southern California compared to Florida, but that's about it.

Disneyland had a dark period from about 1998 to 2003 when Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss were in charge, and upkeep got really shoddy and the place looked generally tired and faded. It was all turned around in stunning detail within 15 months from the winter of 2004 to the spring of 2005 with new executive leadership. Since '05 Disneyland management has done a good job of staying ahead of the curve on routine maintenance, and spending some decent cash to keep older things plussed up and improved (Space Mt., Fantasmic!, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Fantasyland dark rides, etc.)

Similarly, for much of the 20th century the WDW parks had top-notch maintenance and upkeep. Something happens in the executive suites to noticeably change the upkeep of the parks, you can't really blame the weather.

I hear you, but have to believe the low humidity weather of Southern California is more gentle on all the AAs, the attractions and parks as a whole. There is a reason they stored all the excess jetliners in the desert after 9/11.

Again, I do believe that management also plays a huge part, but the weather is not working against them as much in CA as it is in FL.

Hopefully, WDW gets a similar turnaround soon. I will say I did feel the WDW parks looked good during my last trip ( Aug 2011 ), with the big differences I observed on the attractions.

To me, the one by one makes more sense for Splash because you're in a log. Logs are long and narrow. They're not wide. Splash at DL fits better thematically in the land it's in, too. I still don't really like the ride, though.

The "river" you are riding in the DL version is not as wide as MK's Splash - I don't think the side be side logs would fit in the DL version.
The great thing about the location of Splash in MK is its proximity to BTMRR - which makes it ideal for fastpassing one and then standbying the other.

fractal

Original Poster
Can't wait! :D

Hopefully will have time tonight. :)

Oh man, I hope you were able to get on Indy at some point during your visit. Seeing the Tiki show is great, but seeing it while sipping on a Dole Whip is even better. I'm surprised they don't allow that at MK.

Yes - we did get to ride Indy! Didn't know that! The Dole stand was closed when I went in the morning and the other times I passed it the line was too long for me. That would be awesome to have one while in the Tiki Room!

Did you find it difficult to get sucked in by the theme of the land with sight lines being dominated by the Big Thunder and the Matterhorn? I mean as much as a full grown adult can. When is Sterg getting out of bed?

The land that gave me the most problem - again - was Tomorrowland. AstroOrbitors is literally right on the edge of the HUB - there is no bridge or room for you to build some anticipation. In DL it's right there in your face. In WDW there's a lot of green to work with ( to steal a golfing phrase ).

The other land that also gave me a bit of a problem was Critter Country - maybe its a better place thematically for Splash, but it's right next to HM which is in NOsquare. There is no hiding it and there is no gradually entry into Critter Country. The space of MK does allow for better "immersion" of the lands.

LOL! Sterg slept well that day, but did make it up for lunch!

sweetpee_1993

Wow, Chris! Your pics are really great! I'm totally lovin' all the details! Can't wait to see more!

I can identify with your initial discombobulation at DL. I felt much the same way during and after my first Disney cruise. It was familiar and comforting in that it definitely felt like my beloved Disney yet everything was unfamiliar and strange to me. I was somewhat sad thinking the disconnect meant I didn't like it after I had spent so much time building myself up to the experience. But then the hubby reminded me that it was lack of familiarity that was throwing me after having spent so many vacations completely sure of every move I was making. If that makes any sense. LOL!

DznyRktekt

The astro orbiter was originally placed atop the people mover platform much like the WDW version. It was moved to its current location during the Tomorowland changes in 1998 or so. Not a good move in my opinion.

Love how you are on a mission at Disneyland. I would be doing the same, but my son is 3 and I'd probably get in trouble if I left him back at the hotel. ;)

fractal

Original Poster
Look at this beautiful home! I wonder what's inside?...

2012JO%27s%20136-XL.jpg

The grounds of Haunted Mansion are immaculate. It is like you are on somebody's estate that is tended to daily by an obsessive compulsive landscaper.

I found the Cast Member at HM to be typical of Disneyland - professional, but not really "in character". I didn't get the same "spooky" act one would get from a CM at HM in Florida. This would also be the case later at the ToT.

You basically walk right into the stretching room.

2012JO%27s%20138-XL.jpg

I managed to get a few decent shots inside ( but well below the quality of others on this board ).

2012JO%27s%20143-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20140-XL.jpg

Everestnut, this botched one's for you ( so you don't feel as bad ).

2012JO%27s%20145-XL.jpg

Last time I attempted this shot it came out as a blur of light...

2012JO%27s%20146-XL.jpg

This HM is very nice. Although the mansion itself is very unassuming from the outside ( vs. the dreary and ominous feeling you get in Florida ), the grounds are immaculate and the pet cemetery is wonderfully clever. The ride itself is shorter than MK - I missed the H.L.Mencken staircase and the disappearing footprints - but all the effects were in order and looked great. MK's version is better because it's more so of one of the best dark rides in the world. Unlike Splash Mountain, you don't lose the story here - heck, the story was invented here. I had a good time in my Doombuggy!

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
After escaping the Haunted Mansion, I found out that the teenager had finally awakened from his slumber. I decided to move back towards the hub and take some shots until Sterg showed up.

Maybe I never took notice but I don't remember all of these Main Street vehicles at Magic Kingdom. At Disneyland they are very numerous and prominent.

2012JO%27s%20155-XL.jpg

Photographing Sleeping Beauty's castle while waiting for "Sleeping Beauty".

2012JO%27s%20156-XL.jpg

I loved how the teacups and laterns made such a great foreground to Matterhorn...

2012JO%27s%20157-XL.jpg

and how about this facade for It's a Small World? It looks even better in person!

2012JO%27s%20466-XL.jpg

The monorail is an integral part of the park. It adds a dynamic that doesn't exist in Magic Kingdom.

2012JO%27s%20159-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom