Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

While driving in the seedy part of town did Sterg Instagram any pics of ladies of ill repute near the gentleman's clubs? Like I said, two wild and crazy guy's!

Was SM more intense than Florida SM or did the smoothness take that away?

fractal

Original Poster
The queue for Pirates ( which is in New Orleans square - not AdventureLand ) starts outside then enters the building. You actually see the "canal" and returning boats as you enter. We made our way to Laffite's Landing and boarded our boat.

2012JO%27s%20396-XL.jpg

The Blue Bayou Restaurant is to your right as you start the ride. I wanted to fit in a meal there but it never worked out for us.

2012JO%27s%20053-XL.jpg

The first few minutes of your voyage is a slow quiet trip through the bayou - to the left of you are trees, bushes, fireflies, shacks and an old man on a porch. The atmosphere and themeing is top notch - extremely well done. Too dark for my camera though.

Then things start to speed up...

2012JO%27s%20054-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20055-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20057-XL.jpg

If you believe the best dark ride in the world is PotC at the Magic Kingdom, it is only because you haven't been to Disneyland. There are two drops and the ride itself is about 20% longer. The cave, the waterfalls, the storm scene with the skeleton pirate are just amazing. It boggles the mind to think this was built nearly 60 years ago. Sterg and I didn't appreciate it as much as we should have this time only because we were fighting off sleep deprivation.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
More pictures from Pirates - everything as far as I could tell worked. From the piano playing by itself in the captain's quarters to the gun fight at the end of the ride. The only part I thought MK's Pirates was better was the queue ( obviously ) and a slight edge in the battle scene with the fort.

2012JO%27s%20062-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20059-L.jpg

2012JO%27s%20056-XL.jpg

After Pirates we pressed on towards Splash Mountain despite our fatigue...

Last edited:

DznyRktekt

It boggles the mind to think this was built nearly 60 years ago.

Very true. I'm sure you know this, but the reason there is a flume in Pirates is to get under the railroad tracks, as the show building is outside of the berm. Same thing with the stretching rooms in Haunted Mansion.

fractal

Original Poster
While driving in the seedy part of town did Sterg Instagram any pics of ladies of ill repute near the gentleman's clubs? Like I said, two wild and crazy guy's!

Was SM more intense than Florida SM or did the smoothness take that away?

Lol! No pics of the "women of the night" but he did ask for a "twenty" - ONLY KIDDING LADIES! :D Remember - it was an estrogen free trip.

I think the intensity was about the same - the smoothness took away the need to see a chiropractor after the ride.

I love the old man on the porch!

I'm surprised you guys lasted that long. I would have been in the bed a long time ago.

I could not remember if he was playing a banjo or if the music was coming out of the "shack". As much as I appreciated the amazing detail of the bayou - the serenity and calmness of it almost put Sterg and I into a deep REM sleep... By the time we left DL we had been up for 24 straight hours - true Disney Nerds!

Californian Elitist

I could not remember if he was playing a banjo or if the music was coming out of the "shack". As much as I appreciated the amazing detail of the bayou - the serenity and calmness of it almost put Sterg and I into a deep REM sleep... By the time we left DL we had been up for 24 straight hours - true Disney Nerds!

The banjo music comes from the shack, while the old man smokes a cigar, I believe. Yes, the quietness is very peaceful. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep on Pirates. And you guys got on Splash afterwards?!?! I couldn't hang with you guys!

DznyRktekt

The showroom for Indiana Jones is outside the berm as well, hence the long queue.

That makes total sense. I have only been on Indy once, and was so caught up in the experience that I didn't even realize.

The queue and attraction are brilliant!

Californian Elitist

That makes total sense. I have only been on Indy once, and was so caught up in the experience that I didn't even realize.

The queue and attraction are brilliant!

Yes indeed! It took me forever to realize this because I was always so interested in the ride itself. Indy is great but a refurb is in order.

fractal

Original Poster
We made it past the Haunted Mansion ( which is at the end of New Orleans square ) and to Splash Mountain which is in Critter Country and only had a 20 minute wait. The mountain itself is not nearly as dominate as it is in MK but did have some nice details in the queue line. Just like the buildings on Main Street - it seemed to be an 80% scale model of Magic Kingdom. We boarded our "log" and this time it was one behind the other. The "thinner" log seemed to be designed to fit in the smaller "canal". The best part of the seating in the log was the high back on your seat.

"Dad, this thing is great for cracking your back" Sterg said as he pressed and leaned back on his seat.

And he was right! After a long day of being on the move, the ability to crack your own back was a welcome luxury. It's funny the things you remember.

OK - the ride itself. Not nearly as long as MK's and no were near the number of AA's and detail. It was also a much quicker ride - you were really moving through that mountain at a good clip, which made it difficult to take any good pics; but I still tried.

2012JO%27s%20066-XL.jpg

It was not as immersive and didn't do a good job of telling the story. If you didn't know the story it would be hard to figure out. On the plus side, the double drop in the mountain seemed quicker and is a hoot. The big drop seemed about the same but the ending scene is not as grand. Although every fricken anamitronic worked perfectly. It's not nearly as satisfying as the Florida version, but a fun ride none the less.

2012JO%27s%20067-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20068-XL.jpg

After Splash we were spent. Sterg was exhausted and I started to worry that I was pushing him too hard; After all, he was here to play a waterpolo tournament in a few days.

"Why don't we go now" I said

"We still have these Fastpasses of Big Thunder" he replied

"What do you want to do?"

"Let's do Big Thunder and then leave"

"Deal" I said. Testosterone ruled again!

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Big Thunder Mountain at 11:30 at night after being up nearly 24 straight hours was mostly a blur. A fun blur but a blur nonetheless. We got to ride it in the day time so i'll give you my thoughts on it later in the report.

We started to head out of the park - I took a few more pictures...

2012JO%27s%20070-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20072-XL.jpg

We got back to our room sometime after midnight, we both collapsed in our beds. It had been a crazy day - we flew cross country, hit the Getty, drove around LA, did some business, had a great meal, almost got lost in Hollywood and spent almost 3 good "virgin" hours in Disneyland. Phew!

The next day we get our chance to see Walt's Park under sunny California skies...

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Glad you didn't hate Splash. It's not a favorite of mine, as I've only been on it once. The drop killed me.

Hope you guys remembered to try the goat trick.

fractal

Original Poster
Very true. I'm sure you know this, but the reason there is a flume in Pirates is to get under the railroad tracks, as the show building is outside of the berm. Same thing with the stretching rooms in Haunted Mansion.

I did know that - it adds a nice little thrill to the ride. Didn't know it about the HM.
The showroom for Indiana Jones is outside the berm as well, hence the long queue.

Great queue!

Glad you didn't hate Splash. It's not a favorite of mine, as I've only been on it once. The drop killed me.

Hope you guys remembered to try the goat trick.

Enjoyed it for what it was. We didn't that night, but did later...;)

imagination30

loved the video , , to hear the reaction .. , when i do get out to cali , disney land is one place i want to go!, but keep the pics and updates coming!

DznyRktekt

Of course!:) On the second lift of Thunder at Disneyland, there's a goat with dynamite in its mouth that sits on the rocks. As you go down the hill, if you stare at the goat, you'll feel like you're going twice as fast. It works really well if you sit in the back of the train, it's very cool.

Very cool! Perhaps three times as fast on 24 hrs without sleep?

HouCuseChickie

I think that may have been the HoJo I was looking at before scrapping our Cali trip. We were just looking for something for a couple of nights at the end of a trip, but I think estrogen will rule ;) when we get to go back.

That's nice to hear that Space Mtn there is really good. I was banking on that for the girls if we can make it out there. But it's the PotC part that really gets me. My favorite ride - so it makes DL such a huge thing we want to do.

Oh and the drive through Hollywood- hysterical :D Can't wait to read more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom