Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Billy6

Good stuff, good stuff! I have been the Getty myself, and I enjoyed it...I love the train to the top... The first pic you have on the circular fountain/pool, I saw someone fall in while trying to stop their runaway child. The child took off from his stroller and his dad went after him and they both ended up in it, but the dad went down hard..we ran over and gave him some help but he was very embarrassed.... Can't wait for the Disneyland pics!

mamamouse

Poor val,you almost gave her heart failure!!! as a mom I can understand that completely ,eventhough I have girls that r much younger ,i can imagine what she must have thought lol.Can't wait for the next part.

sweetpee_1993

OMG! Love Sterg! My response to the gentleman's club (why do they call it that because its sooooo not) pics would've been "Right of passage??" or "Wouldn't a magazine subscription have been cheaper? And cleaner?" LOL! I'm too confident in my Disney geeks. I know they'd rather drive past & spend that coin & time on Disneyland.

Lovin' it, Chris!

Ariel484

Love the report so far! It's very obvious how much this trip meant to you.

FREE admission to the Getty?! I had no idea! Very cool.

Can't wait for more! :)

DznyRktekt

I was still hanging around the pre-trip report :eek: . Glad I did a search. Ha!

Your storytelling has so many layers. What a great trip!

fractal

Original Poster
Even though we were starting to "hit the wall" after being up for nearly 20 hours, the decision was made to got to Disneyland. We made out way to the HoJo's office and bought two 3 day park hoppers which came with one early morning "magical morning" entry to the park - DL's version of EMH. We asked for directions as I was biting my lip about our room - of course we went the wrong way at first but got straighten out by - literally - a bag lady. I gave her a few bucks for her help and we headed down the boulevard towards DL. As we passed a restaurant and a McDonalds I noticed the spotlights to our right - and then Space Mountain over the wall on the other side of the street.
It was kind of a strange sight for us. Here was a busy three lane road off of a highway exit - that looked like it could be in any decent sized town or city - and peering over the traffic and wall was Space Mountain?? It was the beginning of a surreal evening.

The walk to DL from HoJo's takes about 5 minutes or so to get to the light where you cross the street to the DL entrance. This light is right after a public bus stop and a row of small hotels and restuarants/pizza shops. We were now among a crowd of people dressing in Disneyland shirts and Mickey ears. As we got to the crosswalk we peered across the street to the first "official" sign of our destination.

2012JO%27s%20028-XL.jpg

After crossing the street, you enter a walkway through the bus lots where buses from the parking lots and DL resorts drop off guests. Then you get to this sign..

2012JO%27s%20029-XL.jpg

This takes you into a large paved courtyard and honestly I was a bit disoriented at first. I spotted the entrance to California Adventure directly to my left and it took me a while to figure out DL was directly to my right; also,( despite the sign ) it took me two days to figure out Downtown Disney entrance was 100 yard straight ahead .

We went through the turnstiles and I looked up at the train station. It was a beautiful sight to see and the excitement started to build. We were about to enter Walt's park - the original - the one that started it all. As we entered the park and got our first glance of the courtyard and Mainstreet USA, the firework show filled the air with music and bursts of light and explosions. That first few seconds also filled me with many different emotions and observations.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
As I peered down MainStreet the first thing that struck me was the size of the buildings. It seemed like Magic Kingdom but things were about 20% smaller. Remember that it was late I was was a bit sleep deprived but it was an odd feeling - like when you have a dream and you are walking through your house but the rooms are off a bit or the furniture wasn't quite right. I don't want to over use the word "surreal" but it was surreal.

Sterg and I decided to head to Tomorrowland and ride Space Mountain ( which is our typical strategy when hitting MK at night ) and take advantage of the crowd watching the fireworks. The part of the fireworks show we managed to absorb while walking seemed great. Here is a video I took of us walking up MainStreet. You can tell how excited we were to be there - I felt like I had been there many times before but never was.

The first sight of the castle was also odd. The large majestic castle peering down at you from the end of the street was missing. In it's place was a much smaller more modest castle partially hidden behind the trees. Whereas Cinderella's castle cannot be avoided and dominates the skyline at MK, Sleeping Beauty's castle is much more subtle - almost teasing you with partial sight lines through the foliage and circle fronting it. Moving up Main Street it was a challenge to get a good view of the castle. As we approached the end of Main Street we caught our first sight of the Matterhorn which is offset behind and to the right of the castle. The Matterhorn was the real star of the skyline and was beautifully lit up and proudly displaying its waterfall. Sorry for the poor picture but it was taken on the move...

2012JO%27s%20051-XL.jpg

Making a right at the end of Main Street we were immediately met with the entrance to Tomorrowland and the Astro Orbitor. What? I thought. This isn't right. Right after Astro Obritor was Star Tours to the right and Buzz to the left. It was at this point I think I started to come out of my daze and helped Sterg out of his.

"Dad, this is really weird. Nothing is where it should be" he said

"Actually it is" I replied. " We are in Disneyland, not Magic Kingdom"

2012JO%27s%20033-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20034-XL.jpg

We spotted SpaceMountain and made our way towards it.

2012JO%27s%20037-XL.jpg

Last edited:

cfry06

So excited for your report! I've been to Disneyland as a child - but that was before DCA even existed and the park has changed so much. Living vicariously through your trip for I don't see us getting back in the near future.

Also always love to see fellow Berks county folks tackle all things Disney! Looking fwd to more adventures.

Californian Elitist

Love hearing you guys' reactions in the video. More updates, please!!!!

P.S. I'm sure you guys were shocked to see Aurora's Castle. And you guys had just missed Tinkerbell in the firework show.

Uncle Lupe

Awesome!! I found the new Fractal TR. How did you resist jumping in the museum fountains?

I like how your video conveys the size of the park. From Main Street to Tomorrowland in 2 minutes.

fractal

Original Poster
The posted wait time for Space Mountain was 40 minutes. What the hay - we made it this far and Sterg wanted to ride so we waiting in line while trying to keep a view of the fireworks show. I don't know if its because DL draws a larger local crowd, but the people in line were not the typical people you would see at WDW. A lot less family and more younger groups - which made things a big "rowdier". This atmosphere again added to our dreamy state of surrealism. Sterg was especially fixated on the group of attractive young girls in front of us.

As the fireworks show ended we started to get a sense for how crowded the park was. The point where we entered the line for SM was now almost the mid point of the standby line. Unlike MK, the queue line was mostly outside. A CM would allow groups of 20-30 people inside the building at a time. As I was waiting in line I noticed more trash on the ground than I expected - again it was later in the night - but also a lot of chipped paint on the queue line "bars" and fixtures. Tomorrowland itself seemed a bit dated in its style, design and upkeep.

2012JO%27s%20040-XL.jpg

Entering the building, the rest of the queue was dated and unconvincing. A sense of disappointment started to set in. We reached the loading area and I managed to "sneak" one of Sterg..."Dad, why do you have to be so..."
2012JO%27s%20045-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20042-XL.jpg

The car is different than SM at MK. You ride two in a row and six? in a car. I liked this set up better than Florida. Soon we were off to the stars...

2012JO%27s%20044-XL.jpg

The sound effects and music are a plus to the ride - but the biggest plus is the new track! Last year while riding SM at Magic Kingdom I really felt like I was being whipped around and found it to be fun but rough. This track was much smoother and a big improvement - I enjoyed the ride much more than Florida's. What is missing is the encounter with the astronauts and space station before you climb the hill -but the 'clankey clank" of the chain is also absent.

Sterg loved it, which is saying a lot being that he is becoming a thrill ride enthusiast. He wanted to ride again but the wait was now over an hour. Despite the better queue and better props during the ride, I have to rank Florida's SM below Cali's SM. The car, track and audio make this SM more fun and more ride-able.

After SM we headed "north" past the monstrosity "Innoventions" building ( which looked like a mothership that landed indiscriminately next to SM ) and toward Fantasyland. As much as I enjoyed the ride on SM, my impression of Tomorrowland overall was disappointing. Fortunately it was all uphill from there. We passed by the wonderful themeing and lights of Mad Hatter's tea cups...

2012JO%27s%20048-XL.jpg

Sterg though was on a mission to find the next "thrill ride" so we made haste through FL into Frontierland and luckly got FP for BTMRR. From there we went to hit Splash Mountain but it wasn't there???

"Sterg, we should have gotten a map!" I said

It was something I didn't even think of. I really just expected to know where everything was based on how well I know my way around Magic Kingdom.

"I know" he replied "I'm so confused!"

We found ourselves at the Rivers of America against another crowd waiting for Fantasmic! If I were with Toni we would have stayed to watch the show that I've heard so much about - but alas, the teenager wanted to find Splash Mountain. Then we saw the entrance to PotC with little wait so off we went to see Blackbeard and his crew.

Last edited:

gsrjedi

It's really interesting to hear your thoughts on the original park. For me, DLR's TomorrowLand is the place I want them to do the most change to (hopefully soon after the DCA success), but at least you got the bad part out of the way.

I'm sure I'll be just as lost as you guys when I visit The World in December.

As for the LA traffic, you get used to it. I almost prefer it to here in AZ where we've got such a mix of drivers from around the country that everybody kind of does their own thing and it doesn't really blend well.

Loving the report so far, can't wait to read more.

fractal

Original Poster
Good stuff, good stuff! I have been the Getty myself, and I enjoyed it...I love the train to the top... The first pic you have on the circular fountain/pool, I saw someone fall in while trying to stop their runaway child. The child took off from his stroller and his dad went after him and they both ended up in it, but the dad went down hard..we ran over and gave him some help but he was very embarrassed.... Can't wait for the Disneyland pics!

Thanks! Just trying to add a little culture. :) We did take the train down - it was pretty cool. Later in our trip we were at Stanford University for a water polo game - and they actually encourage people to go in the fountains. :confused:

Great TR so far!

Thank you!

Poor val,you almost gave her heart failure!!! as a mom I can understand that completely ,eventhough I have girls that r much younger ,i can imagine what she must have thought lol.Can't wait for the next part.

After I found out he instagramed the strip club sign pic I gave him a nice firm fatherly "love tap" to the back of his neck. :mad:

OMG! Love Sterg! My response to the gentleman's club (why do they call it that because its sooooo not) pics would've been "Right of passage??" or "Wouldn't a magazine subscription have been cheaper? And cleaner?" LOL! I'm too confident in my Disney geeks. I know they'd rather drive past & spend that coin & time on Disneyland.

Lovin' it, Chris!

Proud to officially be a "Disney Geek" :D

Love the report so far! It's very obvious how much this trip meant to you.

FREE admission to the Getty?! I had no idea! Very cool.

Can't wait for more! :)

Thanks! It was great to spend that much time with Sterg, just the two of us.

fractal

Original Poster
Love your report! The Getty def looks like a place we will have to hit if we ever get to Cali!

Thanks!

I was still hanging around the pre-trip report :eek: . Glad I did a search. Ha!

Your storytelling has so many layers. What a great trip!

Sorry for the misdirection. :) and thanks!

So excited for your report! I've been to Disneyland as a child - but that was before DCA even existed and the park has changed so much. Living vicariously through your trip for I don't see us getting back in the near future.

Also always love to see fellow Berks county folks tackle all things Disney! Looking fwd to more adventures.

DCA was amazing. I tried to represent Berk county the best I could. :)

Love hearing you guys' reactions in the video. More updates, please!!!!

P.S. I'm sure you guys were shocked to see Aurora's Castle. And you guys had just missed Tinkerbell in the firework show.

More coming! That first night was like a wierd dream. If I was with my 10 year daughter we would have definately watched the fireworks and Fantasmic! I do regret missing them.

Awesome!! I found the new Fractal TR. How did you resist jumping in the museum fountains?

I like how your video conveys the size of the park. From Main Street to Tomorrowland in 2 minutes.

It was tough, but you must remember that I hangin' with a "cool" teenager. Me taking pictures was almost too much for him to bear. DL is definately more "compact" than MK. Glad you're along for the ride Uncle Lupe!

It's really interesting to hear your thoughts on the original park. For me, DLR's TomorrowLand is the place I want them to do the most change to (hopefully soon after the DCA success), but at least you got the bad part out of the way.

I'm sure I'll be just as lost as you guys when I visit The World in December.

As for the LA traffic, you get used to it. I almost prefer it to here in AZ where we've got such a mix of drivers from around the country that everybody kind of does their own thing and it doesn't really blend well.

Loving the report so far, can't wait to read more.

Tomorrowland was the biggest disappointment. Definitely get a map to navigate MK!

Thanks!

PolynesianPrincess

Your review of SM makes me want to go to Disneyland! RIGHT NOW!!! lol SM is one of my top 3 WDW rides and I so desperately want to ride the one in Cali! I like the two people per seat idea (short little funny story here: all the ads and videos that showed SM at WDW when I was growing up showed 2 people in each row. So when I finally mustered up the courage to ride it with my Mom when I was about 7, we waited in a super long line and got all the way to the front. Once I realized it was one behind the other and not the two by two they showed on the videos, I freaked out and wouldn't go on. There was no way I was going to sit by myself. So we didn't ride. My Mom was mad lol)

Hopefully you guys picked up a map somewhere along the lines!! I think I'd be all discombobulated there!!! lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
Space Mountain is in another league in DL. While the core concept is the same - the execution is so different.

MK's SM is good for many of it's own reasons - but most are nostalgia for people. To a complete virgin, DL's SM would be desired 10x over MK's.

The sound, the COMPLETE darkness, and the smoothness really make DL's SM a surreal experience.. you do feel almost floating.

fractal - the disorientation is pretty common for people who didn't study it closely prior.. its familar, but different in a way that disorients you. Tomorrowland and Frontierland/CC being the worst for that. But for the most part.. its ok once you let yourself go :)

Don't be hatin' on Innovations Building.. that's the original (DL) CoP structure! :) It's just filled with garbage now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom