Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I would have definitely told those girls to shut up! I do it all the time to people who are getting on my nerves, especially when I'm in a theater and people are talking throughout the movie. Ridiculous.

Great updates! I'm glad you enjoy DCA so much. It was hated amongst basically everyone on the west when it first opened, including me. It wasn't until maybe 2008 or 2009 when I actually started enjoying the park.

sweetpee_1993

You must watch Hercules! It very funny with great music. James Woods is awesome as Hades and the movie is loaded with adult humor that flies right over the kid's heads.
I'll watch Cars if you watch Hercules. Deal?

I've got Hercules now. I still have yet to watch it but it's definitely on the list of to-do's to prep for the cruise later this month. I want to fully "get" the Villian's Tonight show. So, definitely a deal!

Also wanted to mention that the 14 yro son thinks that the Star Wars movies are a generational thing. He loves the originals but prefers the prequels. Hubby is the opposite. He likes the prequels but prefers the originals. I'm not a huge SW fan but if I have to sit all the way thru any of those 6 movies I'd rather it was one of the originals, too.

Thoroughly enjoyed catching up. Such a shame ToT is abbreviated on the left coast. The forward movement of the elevator car is such a cool thing. It makes it so much more than just a whacked out elevator. Ugh! Sorry you go the ride with the obnoxious screamers. Aren't they the worst???

Carthay Circle is so beautiful. I so want to see this with my own eyes!

Definitely feeling your pain with the teens resistance to the pics today. We took the boys & one of Brian's friends to Schlitterbahn in Galveston. I tried to get Chandler to smile for a picture a dozen times. All I ever got was a scowl. You so nailed it when you said, "God forbid a parent wants to take a picture of their child." Yeah. Tell me about it. I'll just do like my mother did: wish 2 just as rotten on each of them. LOL!

TP2000

DCA is really a beautiful park loaded with great details. It was like DHS on steriods.

This just makes me laugh and laugh. At myself, mainly. :rolleyes:

I was a HUGE critic of DCA from 1998 to about 2008. Back in the old alt.disney.disneyland usenet days (1997-01), I used to rail at the cheapness and blandness of DCA, and how it was an abomination on the side of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom of Disneyland. It truly was a horrific park when it opened in 2001, with just a few glimmers of hope in a few corners of the park (Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Hyperion Theatre, and a few nice restaurants, mainly). But overall it was a turkey of a park that reintroduced the phrase "Edsel" to early 21st century people.

But my, how it has changed! A complete 180 degree turn doesn't even begin to describe how vastly improved the DCA of Summer 2012 has suddenly become. They made incremental adjustments and improvements during the '05-'09 era, and then began to improve by leaps and bounds in 2010 and 2011. But the new things and expansion areas that opened in 2012 sent the entire park into warp speed, and it truly has become one of the best Disney theme parks in the world and a wonderful companion park to Walt Disney's flagship next door, Disneyland USA.

That you, as a lifelong WDW visitor on your first trip to Southern California, tagged DCA as a "beautiful park loaded with great details" proves just how far this park has come, and how truly effective that 1.1 Billion Dollars spent in the last four years has been. Bravo DCA! You finally made it! :D

fractal

Original Poster
Our last day in SoCal. Our 3 day park-hopper tickets allowed us early entry into DL that day. Sterg wanted to sleep in but I wanted to use that as an opportunity to take some better photos and explore the park so more.

I love the Voices of Liberty! I saw them in Epcot last year and found it interesting to see that they also were performing at DL. Didn't take time for the show or to see Mr. Lincoln, however.

i-9hSb93R-XL.jpg

The Mad Hatter seemed like a cool store.

i-kH7H4zL-XL.jpg

I always tell myself that I want to take more time exploring and photographing Main Street USA but when I'm actually in the park I can't seem to do it.

The entrance to Tomorrowland

i-9ZrgdKf-XL.jpg

and the Mighty Matterhorn.

i-tDHGDLZ-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I did take my time and enjoyed the rest of the park. I can certainly see myself going on a solo trip someday. No schedule, no having to worry about making everybody else happy - just time to take it all in. Also, time to take some pictures without feeling rushed.

Looking up at Matterhorn.

i-B9swC77-XL.jpg

The monorail, as I said before, is an integral part of Disneyland. Like EPCOT, the monorail weaves in and out of the park.

i-B3GxSxD-XL.jpg

i-Z5kP8Th-XL.jpg

"mine,mine..." We never got a chance to ride the Nemo Subs. By the time Sterg arrived, the line were just too long.

i-jr7rJ3S-XL.jpg

The "back side" of Matterhorn.

i-t6QzbJ9-XL.jpg

I loved the area around teacups ( I think I already said that ).

i-7wSVMHW-X3.jpg

I decided to take my first ride of the day; something I never rode before - Mr. Toad's Wild Adventure. My only perspective of the ride has come from ready those on this board lamenting it's closure in WDW. "How could they??".

i-PR4VwPR-XL.jpg

I was almost expecting a semi-religious experience based on all the talk of it's untimely demise. In reality; it's a decent dark ride full of painted plywood cutouts. Minor disappointment.

Deeper into Fantasyland I went...

i-mSm9t8S-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I really don't see the huge hype about Toad, although I'd die if they ever thought about about getting rid of it. I do like the ride, but it's my least favorite dark ride of the Fantasyland Five.

Disneyfalcon

Fractal! I finally caught up! I am loving your perspective of Disneyland. You got some great pictures yourself! I'll never remember everything I wanted to say, but I'll try.
Cracked up that you didn't know Downtown Disney was there. Seriously cracked up.
Did you ever go back to say if your HoJo room ended up being okay? I love that hotel, I always recommend it. I'd hate for you to have had a bad experience there.
Space at Disneyland is awesome. Take it from a woman who is sometimes wearing skirts in the park, the side by side, not legs spread seating is much better too. :)
Indy is also one of the best rides there is.
I'd take Flynnibus' list and add World of Color, but I wholeheartedly agree with the other 3. Fantasmic at Disneyland is just amazing.
TP2000 took the words out of my mouth several times, but I already knew he and I agree on most things Disneyland. :)
The upkeep difference is amazing to me too. Soarin is a real pleasure at DL and a distraction at WDW.
Single rider at Radiator Springs is definitely the way to go.
Kevin Costner! My word, I would have had to photostalk a little too!
Keep it coming! :)

fractal

Original Poster
The castle kinda grows on you after awhile. I'm sure when I next step into Magic Kingdom though, Cinderella's castle will seem even more majestic.

i-9pTCfRt-XL.jpg

Love all the little details...

i-P8xGTX8-XL.jpg

i-5JbHR8w-XL.jpg

i-H8dSP6N-XL.jpg

Time for breakfast so I went back to Jolly Holliday. Tile work on the floor - nice touch!

i-PbXcjKC-XL.jpg

decisions, decisions,

i-cD6NKr5-XL.jpg

I decided to have another oatmeal raisin cookie and coffee. Once again I just sat outside on the patio and enjoyed to views before leaving
the bakery.

i-gJzn9bw-XL.jpg

I'll try not to!

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

The more pics I see of Sleeping Beauty's castle the more enchanted I am by it. The colors really get me. The way the stone work extends down to the water so gracefully and almost kisses the surface of the moat. I think Cinderella's castle is majestic and grand but this castle seems more warm & inviting to me. It's hard to explain. It's the difference between a really big, incredible mansion and a lovely, cozy home. I've not seen the left coast castle in person but I would like to think that I'm not one to get hung up on size. I think it's just so pretty.

Jolly Holiday seems absolutely perfect! I'd love to have my morning coffee there, too.

Californian Elitist

The more pics I see of Sleeping Beauty's castle the more enchanted I am by it. The colors really get me. The way the stone work extends down to the water so gracefully and almost kisses the surface of the moat. I think Cinderella's castle is majestic and grand but this castle seems more warm & inviting to me. It's hard to explain. It's the difference between a really big, incredible mansion and a lovely, cozy home. I've not seen the left coast castle in person but I would like to think that I'm not one to get hung up on size. I think it's just so pretty.

Jolly Holiday seems absolutely perfect! I'd love to have my morning coffee there, too.

The castle is humble. Is that what you're trying to say?:)

I think it's time for someone to make a trip to California:)

sweetpee_1993

The castle is humble. Is that what you're trying to say?:)

I think it's time for someone to make a trip to California:)

No, not humble. It's warm. It beckons me in. Kinda like when I go to my grandmother's house. It's not fancy. It's actually a pretty small house. It's not ornate. But it's perfect the way it is. If it were bigger it'd kill the emotion. I think the scale paired with the warm tones of Beauty's castle make it perfect. Any other color palette or a bigger size would throw it off from the perfect combination it is now.

I need to check my lottery tickets today. I'm still waiting for that winning ticket..... :D

Californian Elitist

No, not humble. It's warm. It beckons me in. Kinda like when I go to my grandmother's house. It's not fancy. It's actually a pretty small house. It's not ornate. But it's perfect the way it is. If it were bigger it'd kill the emotion. I think the scale paired with the warm tones of Beauty's castle make it perfect. Any other color palette or a bigger size would throw it off from the perfect combination it is now.

I need to check my lottery tickets today. I'm still waiting for that winning ticket..... :D

Totally agree.

fractal

Original Poster
I would have definitely told those girls to shut up! I do it all the time to people who are getting on my nerves, especially when I'm in a theater and people are talking throughout the movie. Ridiculous.

Great updates! I'm glad you enjoy DCA so much. It was hated amongst basically everyone on the west when it first opened, including me. It wasn't until maybe 2008 or 2009 when I actually started enjoying the park.

The transformation at DCA must have been monumental. It's now a great park.

I've got Hercules now. I still have yet to watch it but it's definitely on the list of to-do's to prep for the cruise later this month. I want to fully "get" the Villian's Tonight show. So, definitely a deal!

Also wanted to mention that the 14 yro son thinks that the Star Wars movies are a generational thing. He loves the originals but prefers the prequels. Hubby is the opposite. He likes the prequels but prefers the originals. I'm not a huge SW fan but if I have to sit all the way thru any of those 6 movies I'd rather it was one of the originals, too.

Thoroughly enjoyed catching up. Such a shame ToT is abbreviated on the left coast. The forward movement of the elevator car is such a cool thing. It makes it so much more than just a whacked out elevator. Ugh! Sorry you go the ride with the obnoxious screamers. Aren't they the worst???

Carthay Circle is so beautiful. I so want to see this with my own eyes!

Definitely feeling your pain with the teens resistance to the pics today. We took the boys & one of Brian's friends to Schlitterbahn in Galveston. I tried to get Chandler to smile for a picture a dozen times. All I ever got was a scowl. You so nailed it when you said, "God forbid a parent wants to take a picture of their child." Yeah. Tell me about it. I'll just do like my mother did: wish 2 just as rotten on each of them. LOL!

OK - have to go out and buy Cars. :) Yes - the prequels certainly have more appeal among the younger crowd. Maybe George Lucas is smarter than I thought!

If you never rode Tot @ DHS you would thing the DCA version was great - it's just hard to compare to the best ride in the world!
They truly did an amazing job at DCA!

Yep, you got to sneak 'em in - I might start to follow Uncle Lupe's advise and threaten them with something even more embarrassing. :D

This just makes me laugh and laugh. At myself, mainly. :rolleyes:

I was a HUGE critic of DCA from 1998 to about 2008. Back in the old alt.disney.disneyland usenet days (1997-01), I used to rail at the cheapness and blandness of DCA, and how it was an abomination on the side of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom of Disneyland. It truly was a horrific park when it opened in 2001, with just a few glimmers of hope in a few corners of the park (Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Hyperion Theatre, and a few nice restaurants, mainly). But overall it was a turkey of a park that reintroduced the phrase "Edsel" to early 21st century people.

But my, how it has changed! A complete 180 degree turn doesn't even begin to describe how vastly improved the DCA of Summer 2012 has suddenly become. They made incremental adjustments and improvements during the '05-'09 era, and then began to improve by leaps and bounds in 2010 and 2011. But the new things and expansion areas that opened in 2012 sent the entire park into warp speed, and it truly has become one of the best Disney theme parks in the world and a wonderful companion park to Walt Disney's flagship next door, Disneyland USA.

That you, as a lifelong WDW visitor on your first trip to Southern California, tagged DCA as a "beautiful park loaded with great details" proves just how far this park has come, and how truly effective that 1.1 Billion Dollars spent in the last four years has been. Bravo DCA! You finally made it! :D

Absolutely a top notch Theme Park. Was very impressed and wished I had a few more days there.

fractal

Original Poster
I really don't see the huge hype about Toad, although I'd die if they ever thought about about getting rid of it. I do like the ride, but it's my least favorite dark ride of the Fantasyland Five.

It's probably a great ride if you are a 5 year old!

Fractal! I finally caught up! I am loving your perspective of Disneyland. You got some great pictures yourself! I'll never remember everything I wanted to say, but I'll try.
Cracked up that you didn't know Downtown Disney was there. Seriously cracked up.
Did you ever go back to say if your HoJo room ended up being okay? I love that hotel, I always recommend it. I'd hate for you to have had a bad experience there.
Space at Disneyland is awesome. Take it from a woman who is sometimes wearing skirts in the park, the side by side, not legs spread seating is much better too. :)
Indy is also one of the best rides there is.
I'd take Flynnibus' list and add World of Color, but I wholeheartedly agree with the other 3. Fantasmic at Disneyland is just amazing.
TP2000 took the words out of my mouth several times, but I already knew he and I agree on most things Disneyland. :)
The upkeep difference is amazing to me too. Soarin is a real pleasure at DL and a distraction at WDW.
Single rider at Radiator Springs is definitely the way to go.
Kevin Costner! My word, I would have had to photostalk a little too!
Keep it coming! :)

Thanks! I was so bumming when I took the monorail loop and saw how everything was connected. As my kids would say "derrrr".

The room was clean and adequate. The construction started mid morning so it didn't bother me. The tarps hanging next to our door, the dust and no elevator were annoying but I figured complaining would have cost me at least an hour or more of time and a lot of aggravation.

Wish I had more time to see WoC and Fantasmic! yes, yes, and yes!

Costner @ Disney is the coolest!

The castle takes some getting used to. I agree with everything you say, but I still prefer Cinderella's version!

Starting each day off like that at Jolly Holliday is pretty close to heaven!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think Cinderella's castle is majestic and grand but this castle seems more warm & inviting to me. It's hard to explain

Once you stop thinking about 'why isn't it like MKs??' - you just accept it for what it is it's all fine. It's fine for it's own things.. and the areas like the wishing well, etc help round it out. I think you would still like MK's 'better', but you accept DL's for what it is. I mean, it REALLY is short.. like.. you can't believe how small it is... but it's good looking still (except for the xmas lights) and you look past the castle and soak in the whole scene.

fractal

Original Poster
After my delightful breakfast, I started to head towards Matterhorn until I was stopped by the rope line. While I was in Jolly Holiday they must have put up the rope around the circle to seal off the "lands" from the regular admission crowd. I then had to backtrack a bit, show my ticket to a stationed CM and was let back into "the other side".
i-5Z3B85r-XL.jpg

i-x8LpFrh-XL.jpg

I rode Matterhorn next ( single rider line). This ride seems much faster than it is due to the many quick turns in and out of the mountain. They did a nice job of placing the Yeti in spots that appear suddenly - enough to give you a good startle! It was also longer and more fun than I expected. It does throw you around a bit - enough to make picture taking nearly impossible - but I had a great time riding it.

I had my camera out and ready but this is the only picture I managed to take.

i-kz34xpL-XL.jpg

As soon as I got off Matterhorn, I knew I would be riding it again later with Sterg.

More wandering around the back of the park. This isn't really my cup of tea, but the manicured landscaping was impeccable.

i-x48LWC2-XL.jpg

Did I tell you how much I liked the tea cup area?

i-3Jv2w5R-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Matterhorn is my favorite ride, as you can see in my avatar. It beat me up pretty bad the last time I rode it. Glad you liked it!

I like how you pay close attention to detail! You seemed to have spent a lot of time in Fantasyland:)

Uncle Lupe

Wow! Great pics! Sorry that Mr. Toad was a bit of a let down. Sounds like it is on par with most other Fantasyland dark rides.

PolynesianPrincess

DCA really does look like an awesome park now!! never having been, I can't say it for certain but comparing the pictures I had seen from early 2000's and now, it's like a completely different park. They really did a great job reinventing it!!

I agree with what everyone else has been saying about the castle. It is quite cute and quaint. The colors are soft and fit perfectly. The colors though would look silly on Cinderella Castle but on Sleeping Beauty's, they compliment it very well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom