Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Love the sweatshirt! Great updates, Flo's is so beautiful. Please don't tell me you didn't get a chance to see Fantasmic!.

Ugh! Did not get to see Fastasmic!, World of Color or any parades. Just not enough time and not enough interest from my sidekick.

I am terrified of ferris wheels... and this picture scares the c--p out of me... :(

This is definitely not the ride for you! Lol!

I'm loving your TR. It has been a long while since I've visited DL. As a Mom of a 24 year old all I can say once it starts, wait for it...they do come around again but it isn't as quick. My DD came around quickly as the estrogen levels balanced. ManChild, well it took around 5 freak'n long years, midway through college an anvil must have knocked the ghost out of my DS and he did return. This past April I went to see him at WDW all by myself without DH or DD and we had an all grown-up blast of a time. This time he made all the arrangements for the trip for me, picked the restaurant and showed me around his new home in his new state. Kinda cool.

Thanks! That is good to hear - I tell them to let me know when they turn human again. :) That is awesome that you got to spend time with him at WDW and he was so into it! Yes, very cool!

Absolutely great trip report so far! I've been thinking of surprising my wife with a trip out there for a week for her birthday. You think a week would give us enough time to check things out?(Both her and I have never been there, so I will be just as confused at first as you two were. I know Disney World like the back of my hand!) Also you got to look at the Grand California hotel, worth staying at?

Thanks! A week should be plenty enough time. We had about 2 days which was not enough. I think a week will allow you to do evertything in the parks and also give you some time to explore other great things in SoCal.

I only got a brief look of the Grand Californian lobby - I thought it looked great, plus you can walk right into the back of DCA. It's not cheap - so I would have to do more research myself to see if its worth it.

Gojira ゴジラ

Ugh! Did not get to see Fastasmic!, World of Color or any parades. Just not enough time and not enough interest from my sidekick.

Ah bummer Fractal, World of Color -in my opinion- is one of the best show we've seen. We were lucky there were a lot of people wearing the hat that night, so it made it even cooler

DznyRktekt

Ah bummer Fractal, World of Color -in my opinion- is one of the best show we've seen. We were lucky there were a lot of people wearing the hat that night, so it made it even cooler

Can't wait to see World of Color! In my opinion, going to the expense of making the show hardware submerge when not in use is a great example of the Disney's effort to amaze and imerse.
Very much hoping this show stays exclusive to the west coast.

flynnibus

Premium Member

That's when you grab him by the ear and say I don't care how old you think you are.. :) Seriously.. F! is that much better on the left coast and doesn't take an hour+ commitment prior like DHS. You should be sent back immediately to see this show. :)

If someone were to goto DL and say "I can only do three things" - I would tell them Space Mountain, Indy, and F! - screw the rest.

Uncle Lupe

You missed World of Color. Sad to hear that, but you'll just have to go back. Did you ride Indy once? I saw that it has 3 slightly different beginnings. I never knew that until I did some YouTube research after reading your review.

This TR has over 10,000 views, amazing!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Indy doesn't actually change... The three door choices are a special effect. Alas one that hasn't worked much in recent times. Hopefully the upcoming rehab that is rumored will fix that!

fractal

Original Poster
As I said before, this Tower Hotel has more of an "art-deco" look to it - which I liked. There is not a long pathway through the garden with "time period" music playing ( or if there was I didn't hear it ). The Hotel sits right on the street - which means it's often crowded right at the front with people usually spilling out into the street. The "tower" portion of the hotel also doesn't seem as well done as it's counterpart in DHS - especially in the daytime. At night though, it lit up well.

Our reservations were for 9:25, which gave Sterg time to finish off his cone. The picture is blurry because I had to quick sneak it - God forbid a father would want to take a picture of one of his children at Disney.

i-GsTHstM-XL.jpg

Once you get up the first set of steps it's a short walk to the entrance of the Hotel.

i-Rfh8dN5-XL.jpg

Inside looks familiar but it was difficult to get any good pictures as I was on the wrong side. If you want good pictures go into the left line.

i-TMLrvhW-XL.jpg

The pre-show room is identical to Florida's as is the show itself ( as near as I could tell ). It was starting to feel like the version I was used to.

i-fRM6Smj-XL.jpg

i-M2r87MT-XL.jpg

Then you are taken to the basement. The basement loading area was smaller than DHS but well themed. One thing I could not figure out was how other "guests" were being brought down the basement through stairs. As we were standing there was a flight of stairs coming down from another level with people lined up in a queue. Themeing was done well, just not as "grand" and menacing as DHS.

i-THtH2Bf-XL.jpg

i-NsqGcpc-XL.jpg

This furnace looked like a face.

i-T2DB7Gm-XL.jpg

Last edited:

DznyRktekt

I've only been on it once, but if I recall, the elevator cab doesn't disengage from the elevator shaft and drive down the corridor like it does at DHS. Am I remembering this correctly?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.

This picture and radio on what appears to be a desk or workbench seems unique to the West Coast version...no? Am I just not remembering this correctly?

Great job catching a shot of that elusive creature "Teenager".
I know for a fact they don't like to be photographed in their natural habitat, let alone while in Disney.
Lucky for you he seemed distracted as he was feeding at the time.

WishIWasAtWDW

so glad i finally had a chance to read your report! loving all of your father son testosterone moments! :D hahaha the part about splash mountain is hilarious! i really want to visit dl and dca. its nice to hear a lot of positive reviews about both parks. carsland looks AMAZING! can't wait to read the rest of your report!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've only been on it once, but if I recall, the elevator cab doesn't disengage from the elevator shaft and drive down the corridor like it does at DHS. Am I remembering this correctly?

Correct - at DCA the elevators stay in a single shaft and do not move between shafts like they do at DHS. This results in unload at DCA being done at the same level, tho obscured by a fake entrance for loading.

plaz10

At first I saw this TR and thought "I'm not reading a Disneyland TR with my Disney World trip only 2 weeks away" And then I looked again (weeks later) and thought "WAIT, it's Chris's Disneyland report? I'M IN!"

Loving the TR. Solidifying the fact that I NEED to visit Disneyland in the near future. Trying to convince my soon to be hubby to honeymoon there - it's not going well. A vacation to Disney World every year since we've been together...I don't think I'll win a Disney honeymoon too.

Uncle Lupe

Indy doesn't actually change... The three door choices are a special effect. Alas one that hasn't worked much in recent times. Hopefully the upcoming rehab that is rumored will fix that!

That seems like a very important part of the story. I would hope it would get fixed even without a refurb.

HouCuseChickie

and the tile work on this "bench".

2012JOs231.jpg

Oh my gosh- I LOOOOOOVE this bench!!! Of course it would fit better in my parents' house, but I'd redecorate for a beauty like this.

Your Little Mermaid expedition has me worried that I might wind up having to ride that multiple times. One time- fine, but boy are we in trouble if I don't plan ahead.

I'm sorry Sterg didn't get the importance of Beaker, but at least you're trying. I adore Beaker :D I guess at least you were able to sneak that pic of him eating ice cream.

Disney_Belle

Loving this trip report fractal! Disneyland is such a wonderful place! And how cool is that to see Kevin Costner? Last year Tammy (DisneyFalcon), Danielle (another KK agent and Pam's daughter) and myself were nearly plowed over by Forrest Whitaker at DCA. He's huge in person!

fractal

Original Poster
That's when you grab him by the ear and say I don't care how old you think you are.. :) Seriously.. F! is that much better on the left coast and doesn't take an hour+ commitment prior like DHS. You should be sent back immediately to see this show. :)

If someone were to goto DL and say "I can only do three things" - I would tell them Space Mountain, Indy, and F! - screw the rest.

Now you tell me!:) It was really my fault - I didn't plan it well enough; the area was packed by the time we got there and I didn't know were to go for a good view.
You missed World of Color. Sad to hear that, but you'll just have to go back. Did you ride Indy once? I saw that it has 3 slightly different beginnings. I never knew that until I did some YouTube research after reading your review.

This TR has over 10,000 views, amazing!

We ended up riding it again - and yes we did get a "different" beginning ( the message was different).

That's because I sit up all night and keep clicking it - just kidding. :D

that is correct - I'll get into that next.

This picture and radio on what appears to be a desk or workbench seems unique to the West Coast version...no? Am I just not remembering this correctly?

Great job catching a shot of that elusive creature "Teenager".
I know for a fact they don't like to be photographed in their natural habitat, let alone while in Disney.
Lucky for you he seemed distracted as he was feeding at the time.

I also don't remember seeing this desk at DHS.

lol! Thank you - Almost like Steve Erwin. I reread that using an Australian accent - very funny, because it's true! :D

fractal

Original Poster
so glad i finally had a chance to read your report! loving all of your father son testosterone moments! :D hahaha the part about splash mountain is hilarious! i really want to visit dl and dca. its nice to hear a lot of positive reviews about both parks. carsland looks AMAZING! can't wait to read the rest of your report!

Thanks! Yes, that was a funny ride at SM! West Coast Disney is good stuff, and Carsland is awesome.
Correct - at DCA the elevators stay in a single shaft and do not move between shafts like they do at DHS. This results in unload at DCA being done at the same level, tho obscured by a fake entrance for loading.

yep
At first I saw this TR and thought "I'm not reading a Disneyland TR with my Disney World trip only 2 weeks away" And then I looked again (weeks later) and thought "WAIT, it's Chris's Disneyland report? I'M IN!"

Loving the TR. Solidifying the fact that I NEED to visit Disneyland in the near future. Trying to convince my soon to be hubby to honeymoon there - it's not going well. A vacation to Disney World every year since we've been together...I don't think I'll win a Disney honeymoon too.

Aw thanks! Try to sell him with all the other neat things you can do in Southern Cal in addition to DLR. Goodluck with the wedding!
That seems like a very important part of the story. I would hope it would get fixed even without a refurb.

I had a "different" beginning. The monologue/warning was different - I'm not sure if anything else was to be different??
I was also bummed the rolling rock scene didn't work. Still a great ride.
Oh my gosh- I LOOOOOOVE this bench!!! Of course it would fit better in my parents' house, but I'd redecorate for a beauty like this.

Your Little Mermaid expedition has me worried that I might wind up having to ride that multiple times. One time- fine, but boy are we in trouble if I don't plan ahead.

I'm sorry Sterg didn't get the importance of Beaker, but at least you're trying. I adore Beaker :D I guess at least you were able to sneak that pic of him eating ice cream.

DCA is really a beautiful park loaded with great details. It was like DHS on steriods.

Again - I'm not the target audience for TLM, and I admit-tingly rode with a critical eye. It just seem they could have made is so much more. My 11 year old daughter will probably love it.

Beaker rules! Yeah, he was ridiculous with photos and videos. I wish someone would be taking pictures of me!
Loving this trip report fractal! Disneyland is such a wonderful place! And how cool is that to see Kevin Costner? Last year Tammy (DisneyFalcon), Danielle (another KK agent and Pam's daughter) and myself were nearly plowed over by Forrest Whitaker at DCA. He's huge in person!

Thanks! It really is a special place!

Nothing is cooler than Costner in a Disney Park, especially pushing a double stroller!

Love Forrest Whitaker. He was great in Last King of Scotland - but I remember him back in BloodSport!

fractal

Original Poster
The CMs for ToT at DCA just didn't do it for me. The did a fine enough job telling you were to go, and how to buckle you seat belt, but they were not "in character" like the CM's in WDW. I think that is important. A ride like ToT is designed to take you out of reality and into another "world". The themeing and the pre-show and the ride itself play a huge part in doing that. The CM is also critical. If you buy into everything else:

I'm in Hollywood.
It's the 1930's
I'm in a Hotel
It's spooky
I'm being warned that something bad happened and it might happen again

I've bought into the story - I've left my 2012 reality and I'm now mentally somewhere else - then the CM comes up and acts like a high school kid working part time (which he may be).

"Ok, guys- this is how you buckle. pull on the strap. Let's go Dodgers!"

Eh, OK. Thanks for helping ruin the illusion. Nobody acted the part - the were in costume and looked the part, but didn't act the part. I felt like the CM's were a bunch of Sterg's that were just "too cool" to really be a part of the illusion.

We were placed in our row and awaited the arrival of our elevator.

i-73B62dd-XL.jpg

We took our seats and unfortunately were in the same car as a obnoxious group of 3 young couples. The girls in the couple just started to scream. They screamed before anything happened, they screamed when the twilight zone scene showed up, they screamed when we just sat there in darkness, they screamed when we went up and down. They literally screamed during the entire ride and you could tell that most of the screams were not genuine. The boys in the group spent the whole ride laughing at the girls screaming. It was really hard to enjoy the ride. Sterg was really ticked off and several times during the ride he shouted "can you just shut up!"

As for the ride itself - once in the elevator you go up, the door opens and you get the image of the family waved you to "come in" - but the car doesn't leave the shaft, you don't get all the amazing effects that you do in DHS. Then the car starts it's drops. The drops were fun and seemed numerous and random. That part was great. After the drops and before the door opened those girls just sat there screaming - for no reason.

Very annoying - I'm was guessing that they were "locals", but whether they were or not, DLR had much more of that crowd than WDW - it reminded me of our first night in line at Space Mountain. Overall, the ride was fun but left me wanting the "real thing" in Florida.

i-StCBJm3-XL.jpg

By this time the Mad T Party was really kickin' but Sterg didn't have his dancing shoes on that night.

i-WSLcLx9-XL.jpg

We made our way through Hollywoodland in the dark...

i-nSrLgDr-XL.jpg

i-QCZt87R-XL.jpg

i-jDTggm8-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
The rest of the night we strolled around near the Carthay circle, taking it all in.

This is the rocks and waterfall on the back side of Grizzly Rapids.

i-Xt7B3tj-XL.jpg

Another quick shot of Sterg. It seems texting distracts them enough to be able to sneak in a photo.

i-dnwn45X-XL.jpg

At this point I was getting tired. It was late and I had been in the parks for over 12 hours so we started to make our way out.

I would like to try dinner here someday.

i-XgPCtKN-XL.jpg

i-dhMkKqj-XL.jpg

Loved the fountain at night.

i-wmwdXv6-XL.jpg

i-2DsrrrJ-XL.jpg

Sterg and I managed to get a picture with "young" Walt and Mickey. We were even sporting our new "hoodies". Amazing how Sterg will smile for someone else.

i-6WFn8nT-XL.jpg

Making our way out...

i-r4jjPZk-XL.jpg

Goodnight Disney's California Adventure!

i-6VP8j2t-XL.jpg

i-zSLkmcP-XL.jpg

Up next - our last day at Disneyland...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom