Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

This is from like ten pages ago, but I just sat down and read the whole thread! Lovin' it so far! According to one of our local insiders, one of the main reasons that the DCA Soarin' Over California is better than Soarin' at Epcot is that DCA has some really good air filtration in the projector room to keep dust off the film. They didn't feel like putting that in at Epcot.

fractal

Original Poster
New Orleans square is full of wonderful nooks and crannies.

i-HScqFXr-XL.jpg

i-3Vkb8DM-XL.jpg

i-sQxmNxC-XL.jpg

As I was standing near the entrance to the bathrooms near the back of NO square, I kept hear the sounds of chimes and voices coming from above. It sounded like somebody was with a mystic getting their future read - I eventually figured out that the sounds were emanating from this second story room...

i-sfpG2rB-XL.jpg

Pieces of Eight.

i-kjgRrLm-XL.jpg

Club 33

i-7JKmf2b-XL.jpg

My next stop was Tarzan's Treehouse. I was impressed with how it looked at ground level, plus I love the movie so I wanted to see how it looked on the inside ( and upside).

i-xk2zvrS-XL.jpg

i-fXmRR5L-XL.jpg

This was a neat effect. Every 20 seconds are so the leopard would start to growl and the come out with a loud roar - a blast of air would complete the effect - it was startling in a very fun way.

i-9pr38Cw-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
The top of the Treehouse afforded me some great views...

i-vwVH2T4-XL.jpg

You can see how empty the park was at this time. That would change soon.

i-HPwqshg-XL.jpg

i-jJDpNv7-XL.jpg

I thought they did a fantastic job with the themeing and all of the details.

i-zn6kWKV-XL.jpg

i-vZLvfrP-XL.jpg

i-9c3xttm-XL.jpg

Good to see Tarzan is not letting himself go...

i-6CbKCFv-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I haven't been up in Tarzan's Treehouse in maybe ten years but I'll never forget the scary sounds that come from Sabor. I used to always cover my ears every time I walked by!

fractal

Original Poster
Your pictures are so awesome! Keep he updates coming, please! NOS is probably my favorite "land".

Thanks! NOS is very nice.
This is from like ten pages ago, but I just sat down and read the whole thread! Lovin' it so far! According to one of our local insiders, one of the main reasons that the DCA Soarin' Over California is better than Soarin' at Epcot is that DCA has some really good air filtration in the projector room to keep dust off the film. They didn't feel like putting that in at Epcot.

Thanks CC!

That would make sense regarding Soarin'. Whatever the reason - it's an awesome ride when it's in tip-top shape.

I haven't been up in Tarzan's Treehouse in maybe ten years but I'll never forget the scary sounds that come from Sabor. I used to always cover my ears every time I walked by!

Yeah, it really startled me the first time, then I started laughing at myself. :D

fractal

Original Poster
Sterg was awake and on his way to DL. We met up and made our way to Matterhorn to ride single rider. By this time the park was filling up and the line for Matterhorn was half way around the mountain.

i-Mw3MGs9-XL.jpg

Wait a minute...is that a smile???

i-fg2NCrz-XL.jpg

This time I went up the "right" side of the mountain vs. the "left" side. Both sides are fun but I prefer the left side. Sterg really like the ride - after I gave him a brief history of Matterhorn ( first steel coaster ) we decided to go on Indy again. But first a few pictures...

i-GR3mGtF-XL.jpg

Matterhorn duck

i-wqPPcmq-XL.jpg

Never got a chance to ride the subs.

i-5dDMTzg-XL.jpg

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Lovin' it, Chris! It is funny you didn't realize DtD was riiiight there. I think that's what I love about the size of DL vs. WDW: Everything is accessible. You don't have to commit so much of your time just to get from point A to point B. It's all right there. Yet another example of "the best things come in small packages". Yes sir! I definitely want to remember your tip, tho, for when we do get to DL. I think even someone who's studied maps, pics, & video in their crazy overplanning could really benefit from a ride on the monorail early-on to get a good lay of the land. Gotta remember that one!

I. love. THIS! Totally an unexpected detail! Seriously! I looked at the picture and said to myself, "The Red Bat. Curious. Le Bat en Rouge. OH!" And I squealed out loud! Le Bat en Rouge = Baton Rouge! So stinkin' awesome!!! These are the little things I crave!!!!

Yes, Jane, I would be smiling, too. Hot wild man wearing just a loin-cloth gazing intently at me with those ready-to-pounce eyes? Yes, please! I need to run into this scene so I can high-five my girl here! :p

fractal

Original Poster
One of the reasons I go back to Disney; The bathrooms look like this...

i-ZNNRG86-XL.jpg

We made it to "Indy" and grabbed fast passes. I wanted to ride Jungle Cruise with Sterg but unfortunately it was down. We decided to grab an early lunch and I knew just the place - Big Thunder BBQ.

i-jQRLjkV-XL.jpg

I really enjoyed this place. The atmosphere was great as was the weather. Just enough shade to keep the sun out but not the warmth. I could have sat there all day. It was also remarkably peaceful - although we were fairly close to BTMRR, it felt like we were a world away.

i-3FnLr62-XL.jpg

The food was served family style in buckets, almost exactly like Hoop-de-doo Review. Sterg and I chowed down.

i-T5Xxftk-XL.jpg

A picture of the dinning area.

i-7r2WVkZ-XL.jpg

After lunch, we decided to help our digestion by getting tossed around on the Wildest Ride in the West.

i-NRX8zCq-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
It was hard to compare the queue for Disneyland's version vs. WDW. In the WDW queue you walk up to the coaster then back down. At DL, the queue goes down then wraps around then you go up to the loading area. The SoCal weather did make waiting for 30 minutes more enjoyable.

Love the details!

i-CHPZzNh-XL.jpg

As you can see here, the people behind us are also above us. You can also see my camera shy son attempting to block the photo. I this point I was getting better at sneaking them in.

i-Dtshjgg-XL.jpg

I loved the Western stores overlooking the queue area - they were complete with appropriate sound effects.

i-K58cKjX-XL.jpg

i-XL2R2rJ-XL.jpg

You also got a nice view of the dino fossil - I wanted to get the coaster going through but the line really started to move and I missed the shot.

i-HqqCX6R-XL.jpg

The ride itself was a blast! We sat in the middle and we did try Raven24's goat trick suggestion - it really did seem to make things go faster!

Yee Haa!

i-NMZbnQT-XL.jpg

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
What did you think of the prices at Big Thunder Ranch?

There is entertainment.. but they keep muck'ing with it of late. They have the hillbilly's performing there instead of the normal characters+performers show.

fractal

Original Poster
What did you think of the prices at Big Thunder Ranch?

There is entertainment.. but they keep muck'ing with it of late. They have the hillbilly's performing there instead of the normal characters+performers show.

I should have mentioned that - prices are a bit steep. The food is all you can eat, but you really need to bring your appetite to get your money's worth- Sterg got close. A show would have justified it a bit more - which is what I thought I was going to get. I still enjoyed it.

fractal

Original Poster
I like how they have big signs for the Dream suite just to tease you.

Good marketing!

love the pictures

Thanks!

Lovin' it, Chris! It is funny you didn't realize DtD was riiiight there. I think that's what I love about the size of DL vs. WDW: Everything is accessible. You don't have to commit so much of your time just to get from point A to point B. It's all right there. Yet another example of "the best things come in small packages". Yes sir! I definitely want to remember your tip, tho, for when we do get to DL. I think even someone who's studied maps, pics, & video in their crazy overplanning could really benefit from a ride on the monorail early-on to get a good lay of the land. Gotta remember that one!

I. love. THIS! Totally an unexpected detail! Seriously! I looked at the picture and said to myself, "The Red Bat. Curious. Le Bat en Rouge. OH!" And I squealed out loud! Le Bat en Rouge = Baton Rouge! So stinkin' awesome!!! These are the little things I crave!!!!

Yes, Jane, I would be smiling, too. Hot wild man wearing just a loin-cloth gazing intently at me with those ready-to-pounce eyes? Yes, please! I need to run into this scene so I can high-five my girl here! :p

Yes - it is literally right between DL and DCA. As you come down the path from the street - DL is to your right, DCA is to your left and DTD is straight head. Major "derrr" on my part. :D Yes, that's a good tip - do the monorail loop.

Yes, I loved that sign too ( which is why I took a picture of it )!

Yeah but doesn't Jane at some point don the loin-cloth look?? Where was that?

Woohoo, score on the goat trick! You took some great pictures. I'd never be able to take photos like that!

Yep, thanks for the tip!:) My photography has gotten much better ( still has a long way to go ). If you ever want to get into it more, start by buying the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

everestnut

It was hard to compare the queue for Disneyland's version vs. WDW. In the WDW queue you walk up to the coaster then back down. At DL, the queue goes down then wraps around then you go up to the loading area. The SoCal weather did make waiting for 30 minutes more enjoyable.

Love the details!

2012JOs496.jpg

As you can see here, the people behind us are also above us. You can also see my camera shy son attempting to block the photo. I this point I was getting better at sneaking them in.

2012JOs497.jpg

I loved the Western stores overlooking the queue area - they were complete with appropriate sound effects.

2012JOs499-1.jpg

2012JOs500-1.jpg

You also got a nice view of the dino fossil - I wanted to get the coaster going through but the line really started to move and I missed the shot.

2012JOs501-1.jpg

The ride itself was a blast! We sat in the middle and we did try Raven24's goat trick suggestion - it really did seem to make things go faster!

Yee Haa!

2012JOs487-1.jpg

2012JOs488.jpg
Awesome pics of Big Thunder. Nice job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom