give a day get a day is crap

Philo

Firstly, you give a day, you get a day and you can hardly claim there is any confusion. You know full well that if you need to get to Disney, you will need to pay for it and any additional days.

Secondly, this is Disney trying to promote volunteering and helping others. I know that there is some marketing trickery and self-promotion for Disney included but anything that gets people thinking about and helping others is a good thing in my book.

I'm afraid the OP's attitude flies in the face of the whole scheme. You can only see the benefits to yourself (and even they don't seem to be good enough for you) and totally ignore the benefit to society.

Bottom line is that I think everybody should take part in the scheme, even if they do not intend to use the free day (I think it's great you can donate it too).

luvlifeinfl

I'm volunteering,and I'm not going to Disney.

I believe you can also donate your ticket to charity.

That is so awesome of you! We are still looking at the site most of the opportunities offered are at least an hr away from were we live or the have age requirements.

I want to get more involved and not just to get the free day. I think my mind set is the fact that supporting a needy organization that is affliated with disney would be awesome.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Wow what a dumb post by the OP.

I am volunteering, I am also going to WDW.

I will not be using my free day, I will be donating it. As I believe many many people will be doing.

Andrew54

My only complaint is that I cant use the ticket in the beginning of Jan. 2011. But other than that I think its a pretty good deal to get a free base ticket that is upgradeable!

Expo_Seeker40

I'm lucky enough to go once a year, while visiting my Grandparents in Florida. Rarely do we stay on property because there's no need of it, and we usually do two different WDW parks each year. Because we have decided to do something else besides WDW (blasphemy! :eek: ) We are doing that and the MK this year. Each of us are participating in give a day this month, so that we can have free tickets when we go in February. I donate each year to charity, I'm not doing this strictly because I wan't a free ticket to the MK. This new promotion isn't crap. :mad:

Vince3

I will not be using my free day, I will be donating it. As I believe many many people will be doing.

Well said!I will be doing the same.
Does anyone know how many times you can volunteer & donate?

DisneyGigi

Well said!I will be doing the same.
Does anyone know how many times you can volunteer & donate?

You can only get one free ticket per person no matter how many times or how long you volunteer from my understanding of the rules. (even if yuo donate the ticket)

As far as the OP thinking it is crap...I think it is great. I wasn't going to do it even though we are going to WDW this year until I checked it out. There was nothing in my area so we chose to do an at home one. The kids are excited about helping and that is a great thing. Ya, the ticket is a nice reward for doing something but the bigger reward is seeing yor kids excited about doing something for someone else. :) So thanks Disney for getting people motivated to help.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have an AP and still plan on volunteering. You want to volunteer, then do so. If you don't, then zip it and pay to get in the parks the old-fashioned way. But then don't pi$$ and moan about the promotion.....

bgraham34

Just getting people to volunteer is a great thing. Disney is just added a little incentive for you to do so. I plan to volunteer for a few days and use my one ticket for a fun filled day at the world on my next trip.

tigsmom

If you compensate people by giving them a free day at a Disney Park then it's not really volunteering. You volunteer to give back to the community, not to be given something in return by a corporation.

I would rather see Disney donate to well established organizations as a surprise to give to those who regularly volunteer their time like fire companies, ambulance companies, Meals on Wheels...that sort of thing.

captainkidd

I wouldn't have said it like the OP, but I think it's a weird promo as well. All for donating time to charity. I think what people that are questioning the promo are trying to say is that for the majority of people, 1 day in the parks does no good, so most people won't bother. It's a shame, but that's just the way it is.

We all know Disney is a business, but it seems (just seems) that Disney is trying to build some good PR (no problem) by offering something that in the end is designed to make them more money. Why not just do something for charity without an ulterior motive?

DisneyGigi

If you compensate people by giving them a free day at a Disney Park then it's not really volunteering. You volunteer to give back to the community, not to be given something in return by a corporation.

I would rather see Disney donate to well established organizations as a surprise to give to those who regularly volunteer their time like fire companies, ambulance companies, Meals on Wheels...that sort of thing.

I think that what they are hoping for is by getting people involved they will see that doing it is a reward in itself and that some of those people will keep volunteering on their own. At least that is my thought. We do things throughout the year but had never heard of the program we signed up for so I am glad I checked it out. :)

Laura

Premium Member
Its great to get people to volunteer...but leave it to Disney to suck people into a free day.
Do people comprehend that in order to get that whoppin free day vauled at 80.00 they have to spend thousands of dollars on their trip to Disney...thats if they go for a week, the norm...just to get that free day

what a joke

Not EVERYONE has to spend thousands of dollars. I live an hour from Disneyland and whenever my parents or in-laws come and visit me and want to go to Disney they have to shell out almost $80 per ticket. This will save them that expense and other than a meal or 2, won't cost them a cent.

skyhawk8519

Did the OP think the "get a free ticket on your birthday" was crap too? The same applies.
Im not able to go any more this year, but My wife and I are signed up to volunteer. I will be donating my ticket!

Lisalyn

I'm pretty sure

The idea is to get people to do something good for their communities...you know, paying it forward so to speak!

Personally, I'd love to donate my time to get a day free towards my base tickets because I do choose to stay a week. 6 day base tickets are cheaper then 7 or 8 days so why not! Plus you learn a little bit about your inner selves...so do your kids if they are also participating (and mine will be!)

It's more a personal gratification thing...not some Disney conspiracy to get more money out of you!

captainkidd

It's more a personal gratification thing...not some Disney conspiracy to get more money out of you!

I don't think it's a conspiracy, but it seems pretty obvious, Disney IS looking to make more money off the average person.

It's hard to explain. Everybody wins, but at the same time, Disney comes off looking like a saint, when that's not the bottom line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom