give a day get a day is crap

Give a day get a day.

I have a few thoughts for everyone.
What is so wrong about Disney giving away 80 million dollars to everyday people. I am pretty sure they will hit there target of 1 millions tickets given away. Also don't forget the tickets price is not where Disney make it real money in the parks. Plus giving a day of your time or even a few hours to help someone else is not wrong, just because you get a free ticket to a Disney park. I plan on my family give a day, and if a million ticket have not been given out I will us it. It a million tickets have been given out when I go, its just another volunteer event I will do this year. Bad me for help someone else and bad Disney for giving me a free ticket. BAD

llrain

Original Poster

Really...go ahead and quote me where I explicitely state Disney volunteers nothing. Or that Disney doesnt contribute to charities or what have you.

I never said that nor hinted to it.
I am and have been talking about how disney is using volunteering to get people to their parks to spend money. NEVER have I said Disney does not contribute anything as a company. I know full well different things they contribute, especially their close relationship with make a wish.

so please dont put words in my mouth

llrain

Original Poster
Also to the poster who mentioned that the title was prob the bad thing about my whole original post...Now that i look at it, it prob was a bad choice of word, but thats how I felt about it when I wrote it.

llrain

Original Poster
You still dont get it. Lemme say it again. In your eyes Disney is just encouraging people to volunteer and as a thanks they say, here, have a ticket on us..
Its really not that simple. Disney is not trying to just get you to volunteer,
They try to do that year after year within their local communities....this is great. what you dont get is that Disney is now using this volunteering as a year long PROMOTION. thats where I think this is wrong, using volunteering and a promotion together....the 2 do not belong in my eyes.
THey already have volunteering of their own and encourage it. WHy offer
me a ticket who lives in Massachusetts to get me to come to DIsney.
THey are happy I volunteer but are trying to get a trip out of me for volunteering.
THeir end result as a business is to get money out of me for volunteering.
its a dumb promotion.
Again if they cared about getting people that dont normally volunteer to volunteer, its a dumd incentive.....
Id rather them say for every volunteer who volunteers this year DIsney will match your volunteerism in donations to such and such....
THat would get me, if i had never volunteered before, off my a$$ and do it not some silly park pass that will never be used

So encouraging people to give their time to volunteerism in order to receive a free ticket to a Disney theme park is the wrong way to get people to help others?

The way I see it is that this is not for those wonderful people who already volunteer on a regular basis(although it is a great way to thank them!). It is for those who, for whatever reason, do not. These people will sign up for this program thinking, "I'll just volunteer for a few hours and get my ticket and be done." But, if even a small percentage of these people decide that the help that they gave was very worth their time and that they will continue that help without the promise of personal gain then whatever "wrong" intentions Disney could have had would have been nullified.(in my opionion).

llrain

Original Poster
HOnestly I see that as a very effective campaign compared to what they are running now....well done

I confess - reading the title makes me want to
say "Tell us how you REALLY feel " :)

GADGAD, to me (just an opinion) is a noble effort with a fatal flaw... it's VERY hard to find a way for children to participate. Any program that somehow screens out Children is, to me, anti-Disney and anti-family.

Now, that's not what Disney INTENDED... it's a side effect of who, effectively, can do volunteer work. I understand perfectly why Habitat for Humanity just can NOT have 4 year olds on a job site.

So how do we fix this?

There is a way. Disney should consider firing up some kind of Disney operated "drive" or "giving" program that any child could participate in - regardless of age. Some of our older members (like me) will remember - we used to do this in grade school. Those "dime books"? The ones that went to the needy? Even a little child can (and DID) participate in this.

That's one idea, pulled from the past. There must be more. For GADGAD to be of solid meaning, Disney must find a way for children to effectively participate. After all - who are we trying to teach compassion to? Old farts like me (I'm 57), or the next generation?

jakeman

Really...go ahead and quote me where I explicitely state Disney volunteers nothing. Or that Disney doesnt contribute to charities or what have you.

I never said that nor hinted to it.
I am and have been talking about how disney is using volunteering to get people to their parks to spend money. NEVER have I said Disney does not contribute anything as a company. I know full well different things they contribute, especially their close relationship with make a wish.

so please dont put words in my mouth
I never put any words in your mouth. I quoted you.

If the promotion is such an afront to you, register and then donate your ticket.

There is nothing wrong with this promotion. It's pretty much a win/win all the way around. It promotes volunteering. It gives people incentive. Disney gets good PR. Disney makes money.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You know, what gets me is that I voluntarily give up almost 40% of my income every year to those that my government determines needs it more than I, yet I still pay to go to Disney.....

Chew on that tidbit for a while.

captainkidd

You still dont get it. Lemme say it again. In your eyes Disney is just encouraging people to volunteer and as a thanks they say, here, have a ticket on us..
Its really not that simple. Disney is not trying to just get you to volunteer,
They try to do that year after year within their local communities....this is great. what you dont get is that Disney is now using this volunteering as a year long PROMOTION. thats where I think this is wrong, using volunteering and a promotion together....the 2 do not belong in my eyes.
THey already have volunteering of their own and encourage it. WHy offer
me a ticket who lives in Massachusetts to get me to come to DIsney.
THey are happy I volunteer but are trying to get a trip out of me for volunteering.
THeir end result as a business is to get money out of me for volunteering.

I agree. I don't see where the confusion lies.

llrain

Original Poster
You should check out Disney's corporate website. Or their Voluntears program before you cast stones about what they haven't done.
These are the words you put in my mouth. The stones I threw about how disney doesnt contribute anything....
I was replying that never did i say or throw stones, as you put it that disney doesnt do anything..and I was asking you to quote where I said disney doesnt do anything....Because I never threw the stone saying DIsney doesnt do anything.

you quoted nothing......this was your quote...
You should check out Disney's corporate website. Or their Voluntears program before you cast stones about what they haven't done.

I never put any words in your mouth. I quoted you.

Lisalyn

I confess - reading the title makes me want to say "Tell us how you REALLY feel " :)

GADGAD, to me (just an opinion) is a noble effort with a fatal flaw... it's VERY hard to find a way for children to participate. Any program that somehow screens out Children is, to me, anti-Disney and anti-family.

Now, that's not what Disney INTENDED... it's a side effect of who, effectively, can do volunteer work. I understand perfectly why Habitat for Humanity just can NOT have 4 year olds on a job site.

So how do we fix this?

There is a way. Disney should consider firing up some kind of Disney operated "drive" or "giving" program that any child could participate in - regardless of age. Some of our older members (like me) will remember - we used to do this in grade school. Those "dime books"? The ones that went to the needy? Even a little child can (and DID) participate in this.

That's one idea, pulled from the past. There must be more. For GADGAD to be of solid meaning, Disney must find a way for children to effectively participate. After all - who are we trying to teach compassion to? Old farts like me (I'm 57), or the next generation?

Not to take anything away from your post because you have some valid points...BUT in my zip code area 99% of the GADGAD volunteer opportunities include your children being able to participate with you but no younger than 5 or 6....besides, much younger then that I truly don't believe would understand or comprehend the whole gist of the program to begin with...I hope that makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom