give a day get a day is crap

captainkidd

Who cares?

Apparently the OP.

Who cares how much money a movie makes at the box office? Who cares what the #1 record in the country is? People like to talk about things. This is a discussion board. This is a Disney topic. I don't see what the big deal is.

jakeman

Apparently the OP.

Who cares how much money a movie makes at the box office? Who cares what the #1 record in the country is? People like to talk about things. This is a discussion board. This is a Disney topic. I don't see what the big deal is.
You missed the point.

Why does it matter that Disney get a little good PR and a few extra vacations?

Isn't what's important that people have an incentive to help others?

This complaint is the equivalent of winning Publishers Clearing House and turning it down because you had to subscribe to a magazine.

captainkidd

You missed the point.

Why does it matter that Disney get a little good PR and a few extra vacations?

Isn't what's important that people have an incentive to help others?

This complaint is the equivalent of winning Publishers Clearing House and turning it down because you had to subscribe to a magazine.

I don't know why it matters. I'm not the OP. Point is, it matters to them.

captainkidd

You aren't the OP, true, but you started a thread with almost the exact same complaint about a week ago.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=529867

I assumed since you have almost the exact same stance, you would be able to offer insight on why it matters.

Apologies if that assumption was in error. :wave:

My thread was started because I feel it's an odd promotion. I think I made that perfectly clear in my posts.

njDizFan

hmm let's see, the simple facts:

1) volunteering is good
2) this promotion will encourage people who would normally not volunteer to give their time.
3) Disney will generate additional revenue from increased attendance
4) Disney will also have a positive PR spin
5) some people may actually see the benefits of volunteerism beyond a free theme park ticket.

Disney is not evil but they like to make money.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ill be re-pointing the Great Wall of China, before building irrigation channels in the Sudan, and on weekends Ill be helping coffin dodgers avoid the reaper.
I also donate my dinner money to orphaned sloaths and am just a simply wonderful human being. Well worth a free ticket.

llrain

Original Poster
1. Yes volunteering is good...I do it all the time..But DISNEY is using volunteering in a way for them to make money...you cannot argue that

2. The promotion will NOT encourage people outside California area or Florida area to volunteer for a free ticket....Disney wants to give you a free ticket not get you to volunteer..and by giving you a free ticket you are giving disney money..

3. Yes they will, this is exactly their intention. They are spinning the whole volunteer thing so they get more revenue...yes they are a business to make money, but to exploit volunteerism to gain revrenue looks bad in my eyes

4. Thats is absolutely correct

5. Then just volunteer (as i do alot of)..This should be Disneys pledge...
They dont need to give away tickets...As I said before, pledge to the world with support to shelters, fire and emergency, Red cross....dont give us a free ticket to make them as a company look good....for the past several years the yearly marketting
has gotten worse and worse....

hmm let's see, the simple facts:
1) volunteering is good
2) this promotion will encourage people who would normally not volunteer to give their time.
3) Disney will generate additional revenue from increased attendance
4) Disney will also have a positive PR spin
5) some people may actually see the benefits of volunteerism beyond a free theme park ticket.

Disney is not evil but they like to make money.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why is it an "insipid" thread? Because some people don't agree with everything the OP said? I don't either, but he makes some good points. Just because you might not understand his viewpoint, doesn't mean the thread is "insipid".

If the point is to get people out and start helping, why limit those who can be helped?

Here's the original post:

Its great to get people to volunteer...but leave it to Disney to suck people into a free day.
Do people comprehend that in order to get that whoppin free day vauled at 80.00 they have to spend thousands of dollars on their trip to Disney...thats if they go for a week, the norm...just to get that free day

what a joke

So to begin with Beavis, I understand the complete post (and his subsequent ones). I understand that also he's missing out on the entire idea of the promotion, which is simply to offer an incentive for people to go out and volunteer in their respective neighborhoods. No one would think (unless they're a local resident) that a single one-day ticket buys them a grandiose Disney vacation. Nor does anyine not think that this helps Disney's corporate image. But the program isn't designed to "suck people into" helping out, nor is Disney lax is offering assistance through their own corporate efforts (as the OP suggested in a later post). This thread is insipid because the title is pathetic and the facts and opinions presented by the OP are off (to be generous). Take a little time to fully understand something before declaring it to be "crap."

llrain

Original Poster
Thank you.....this is exactly what i am conveying

I don't see the OP complaining about the volunteerism part. I could be wrong, but I see it as the OP complaining that Disney may be taking advantage of promoting volunteerism for good PR and to make a few extra bucks.

jakeman

2. The promotion will NOT encourage people outside California area or Florida area to volunteer for a free ticket....Disney wants to give you a free ticket not get you to volunteer..and by giving you a free ticket you are giving disney money.
I live in North Carolina and will be taking part of this promotion and apply the ticket to my annual pass.

They dont need to give away tickets...As I said before, pledge to the world with support to shelters, fire and emergency, Red cross....dont give us a free ticket to make them as a company look good....for the past several years the yearly marketting
You should check out Disney's corporate website. Or their Voluntears program before you cast stones about what they haven't done.

http://disney.go.com/disneyhand/voluntears/details.html

http://corporate.disney.go.com/responsibility/index.html

Thank you.....this is exactly what i am conveying
That has been conveyed. What hasn't been conveyed is why that is a bad thing?

captainkidd

Here's the original post:

Its great to get people to volunteer...but leave it to Disney to suck people into a free day.
Do people comprehend that in order to get that whoppin free day vauled at 80.00 they have to spend thousands of dollars on their trip to Disney...thats if they go for a week, the norm...just to get that free day

what a joke

So to begin with Beavis, I understand the complete post (and his subsequent ones). I understand that also he's missing out on the entire idea of the promotion, which is simply to offer an incentive for people to go out and volunteer in their respective neighborhoods. No one would think (unless they're a local resident) that a single one-day ticket buys them a grandiose Disney vacation. Nor does anyine not think that this helps Disney's corporate image. But the program isn't designed to "suck people into" helping out, nor is Disney lax is offering assistance through their own corporate efforts (as the OP suggested in a later post). This thread is insipid because the title is pathetic and the facts and opinions presented by the OP are off (to be generous). Take a little time to fully understand something before declaring it to be "crap."

Well, as I said, I wouldn't have said it just as the OP did. Nonetheless, if his point is what I think it is, I sort of agree. That's all.

captainkidd

I believe the statement "give a day get a day is crap" denotes a negative connotation.

Yeah, I can see that.

FTR, though I agree with the OP's stance, I don't think it's a bad promotion in what will be accomplished. I think that's sort of a given.

llrain

Original Poster
You should check out Disney's corporate website. Or their Voluntears program before you cast stones about what they haven't done.

I never conveyed that Disney does not Volunteer or contribute anything to society. I know they do year round which places more emphasis that they could get people to volunteer for nothing, get people to volunteer without
having to use it as a promotion. I know they donate thousands of man hours to habitat, ronald mcdonald house, etc, and especially make a wish.
We all know what an awesome job they do with this year after year....
time and time again....but to bring volunteerism into their cycle of the yearly
promotion/campaign is shameless. Again, the way I see it is that Disney is taking something so natural in what they do and is trying to get people to
participate for the wrong reasons....

Lauriebar

So encouraging people to give their time to volunteerism in order to receive a free ticket to a Disney theme park is the wrong way to get people to help others?

The way I see it is that this is not for those wonderful people who already volunteer on a regular basis(although it is a great way to thank them!). It is for those who, for whatever reason, do not. These people will sign up for this program thinking, "I'll just volunteer for a few hours and get my ticket and be done." But, if even a small percentage of these people decide that the help that they gave was very worth their time and that they will continue that help without the promise of personal gain then whatever "wrong" intentions Disney could have had would have been nullified.(in my opionion).

jakeman

I never conveyed that Disney does not Volunteer or contribute anything to society.
Really?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom