Fun Fan get together for EPCOT's 25th on Oct 1st

wannabeBelle

I am officially booked to be down there for those dates without a doubt. I am sure I will be stopping by to meet all you fine folks!!! Belle

jasondiff

An update:
I just talked to the Event Coordinator about a few details.

The cash bar will incur a $100 bartender fee and $35 cashier fee. The bartender fee will be waived if we have $500 in bar sales.

I asked about Disney collecting payments directly instead of me; she said it is typically done through one person in the group but she knows they have had some unique circumstances in the past and she is looking into it.

I also asked about a rain location, since they can't set up the dessert party outdoors there is a >50% chance of rain that evening. They usually make the call in the late afternoon. We will still have the Italy Isola booked for IllumiNations viewing, and they run IllumiNations in the rain anyway, but we'll have to go somewhere else for the desserts. If this happens, then normally the dessert party occurs before IllumiNations, say from 7:00-8:30 pm, then we make our way to the Italy Isola for IllumiNations viewing. As an alternative, we could have the dessert party after Illuminations (this is what we did at my wedding), but it would run pretty late so I figure the early option is probably better unless a majority would prefer it after. The rain location cannot be reserved far in advance (since they can still sell these locations) but we could probably pick a spot a week or so in advance just so we could let everyone know since communicating this info once at WDW would likely be more problematic.

maharet97a

Give Kids the World...that's the one. Couldn't think of it to save my life. Your brain just disappears once you have kids. But I think it would be a very appropriate group to give to in the name of wdwmagic.com

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We`ll go with the majority desicion about anything - it`s a great idea.

Thanks to Jason for his work :wave: - I may get to buy you a drink to say thanks in person :lol:

Gorjus

I'll be honest, I've only read less than half of the posts in this thread. I'd like to participate and pay my fair share. My problem is that I will only know my schedule 2 weeks ahead of the event. I live in the Orlando area, so I will be there, it is just whether I can get the time off. Is it possible for me to still participate in these events?

Gorjus

jasondiff

I'll be honest, I've only read less than half of the posts in this thread. I'd like to participate and pay my fair share. My problem is that I will only know my schedule 2 weeks ahead of the event. I live in the Orlando area, so I will be there, it is just whether I can get the time off. Is it possible for me to still participate in these events?

Gorjus

If you are talking about the fan get-together, it is free. If you are talking about the IllumiNations Dessert Party, for that the final numbers and payments are due 30 days in advance. One possibility is to sign up and pay, and if you can't make it you can find someone else to take your place. We should be able to change the name on the guest list within that 30 days.

jasondiff

Got an email from the event coordinator, she said payments must come from the person who signs the contract. I'm going to PM Kevin Page and Bwana Bob to see what they did in 2004, but for now it looks like we'll have to handle the money ourselves. I'm willing to do it, so long as everyone else is willing to send me their money.

jasondiff

How does this plan sound:
If we can hit 50 people on the poll by Monday, I will start taking payments based on that number so that I can get the deposit to Disney by late next week. Thankfully it looks like there is much agreement on the Tier 2 desserts, so that makes it easy. Factoring in Paypal's fees and the extra charge for the bartender and cashier, I figure about $46 per person. We'll likely get more than 50 by October, but I think that's a good number to get the ball rolling.

jedimaster1227

An update:
I just talked to the Event Coordinator about a few details.

The cash bar will incur a $100 bartender fee and $35 cashier fee. The bartender fee will be waived if we have $500 in bar sales.

I asked about Disney collecting payments directly instead of me; she said it is typically done through one person in the group but she knows they have had some unique circumstances in the past and she is looking into it.

I also asked about a rain location, since they can't set up the dessert party outdoors there is a >50% chance of rain that evening. They usually make the call in the late afternoon. We will still have the Italy Isola booked for IllumiNations viewing, and they run IllumiNations in the rain anyway, but we'll have to go somewhere else for the desserts. If this happens, then normally the dessert party occurs before IllumiNations, say from 7:00-8:30 pm, then we make our way to the Italy Isola for IllumiNations viewing. As an alternative, we could have the dessert party after Illuminations (this is what we did at my wedding), but it would run pretty late so I figure the early option is probably better unless a majority would prefer it after. The rain location cannot be reserved far in advance (since they can still sell these locations) but we could probably pick a spot a week or so in advance just so we could let everyone know since communicating this info once at WDW would likely be more problematic.

The one thing that I would like to stress is that since this is meant to be a family event, we may want to count out the alcohol (especially since we have underage members joining us). You wouldn't want a child seeing a bunch of grown-ups drinking all night right?

EpcotServo

The one thing that I would like to stress is that since this is meant to be a family event, we may want to count out the alcohol (especially since we have underage members joining us). You wouldn't want a child seeing a bunch of grown-ups drinking all night right?
I agree! I'm not old enough to be drinkin' booze, and if that means the price would go up to $45 bucks, there'd be no way I could attend! 20 to 25 bucks is a much better price and we could include more people that way as well. We should keep it a family event, to at least that degree.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I had to catch up on all the latest news since yesterday...wow a lot has happened and it's all good!

First off, i have to once again thank Jason for taking the initiative and setting this up for us. Again i tip my Golden Mickey Ears to you! If you are comfortable with handling this part of the event personally, and are willing to handle the money through Paypal, then by all means go for it. I personally thank you for helping out in this department. Let's hear it for Jason! :sohappy:

Now..that being said, i will agree that i think the #2 option is the one most are in favor of. Sounds great, and i like the idea that we will have a nice selection. Hmm...i wonder if the cream used for the dessery horns listed here are the same as the cream used in those yummy Norway Cloudberry Horns? Yum!

As far as the Cash Bar option goes....while i was reading about it above i also had the same thought cross my mind as Jedimaster and EpcotServo: It's a family event ment to include everyone, regardless of age, and i also feel that having alcohol around may not be something we would want in this situation. This is just me talking, but if i personally was going to set this up i would pass on the cash bar simply because of the added cost, and the feeling of having it be something not everyone coming would be able to enjoy.

Just my thoughts.....but i am very excited about how far this event has come in this short amount of time. It's amazing! Only about two months ago i first posted my ideas about this get together and look at where we are now!

jasondiff

I'm open to opinions on the bar. You guys bring up good points about the alcohol. However, since the event will only be an hour and a half, (with the bar probably being open for only an hour), I don't know that it would get too out of hand to worry about the non-family-friendliness of it.

As for the price, I'm basing the price on the Tier 2 dessert menu which is winning the poll right now by a wide margin. With 50 people, the price would be $45 per person. With 100 people that would drop to $39, and with 200 people (the max) the price would drop to the lowest possible which would be $35.50. These numbers factor in the event fees, taxes, gratuities, and Paypal fees, so it's not going to go lower than $35.50. I was assuming the bartender fee would be waived, so the difference between the total cost with the cash bar and without is only $35 (the cashier fee).

Figments Friend

Original Poster
There are over 150 registered for the event so far ( probably more now...Jedimaster would be able to tell us exactly ..) so surely many more will want to be a part of the Dessert Finale. I am sure we will have over 50.

Trick is getting the word out to them......hopefully they will stop by and catch up on the news here!

jasondiff

There are over 150 registered for the event so far ( probably more now...Jedimaster would be able to tell us exactly ..) so surely many more will want to be a part of the Dessert Finale. I am sure we will have over 50.

Trick is getting the word out to them......hopefully they will stop by and catch up on the news here!

Once I am ready to begin taking Paypal, can we send out an email to the people who have registered so far and let them know about this option?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom