Fun Fan get together for EPCOT's 25th on Oct 1st

robhedin

About the cash bar---

Epcot is family friendly and yet I've never been there and NOT seen a bunch of people drinking all night (just walk through the UK-- yards of beer everywhere), or go during the Food and Wine show-- it seems like every 4th person has a glass of wine in their hands. If this were being done at the MK I could understand the point, but Epcot definitely has a different atmosphere (to me at least).

Since the cash bar also provides soft drinks and fruit juices (which are perfectly acceptable for children), I don't see how providing another option isn't beneficial.

I don't think the cost of having it available really significantly raises the price-- if you want to partake, sure you've got to spring for an extra $4 or $8 dollars on that day, but if not you're only out $35 divided by 100 people is only an extra 35 cents per person.

rob.

jasondiff

We've gotten pretty close to 50 people expressing a definite interest in the Illuminations Dessert Party, so I've set up a website to begin collecting money. I posted details and instructions in the dessert party poll thread, just click here.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Nice job Jason....thanks again for the help!

I have thought more today about the cash bar option, and i agree with Rob's comment above regarding the idea that it is simply just another availible option for attendees.

Yes, EPCOT is a more "adult" Park per sey....and i think having the other non-alcoholic drink options would be a nice plus.

So i am for the cash bar then...based on that option. As much as i would rather stay away from having alcohol involved, it's something that is there simply for those that wish to use it.

So yeah, it would make much sense to add more choices to the menu. I say go with it if that would increase the selections somewhat, and not increase the price per Guest ratio.

Do you really think we will score $500 in bar sales to avoid the bartender fee?

jasondiff

Nice job Jason....thanks again for the help!

I have thought more today about the cash bar option, and i agree with Rob's comment above regarding the idea that it is simply just another availible option for attendees.

Yes, EPCOT is a more "adult" Park per sey....and i think having the other non-alcoholic drink options would be a nice plus.

So i am for the cash bar then...based on that option. As much as i would rather stay away from having alcohol involved, it's something that is there simply for those that wish to use it.

So yeah, it would make much sense to add more choices to the menu. I say go with it if that would increase the selections somewhat, and not increase the price per Guest ratio.

Do you really think we will score $500 in bar sales to avoid the bartender fee?

With the payments I've gotten so far, more than half of the people added the $2 for the bar. With 50 people I doubt we'll hit $500 in bar sales, but with 100 or more I think it may be likely.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Ah ok.....sounds good.

Just wanted to add that for those of you who like to Pin Trade, bring your pins! I love pins and would love to trade! I don't have anything fanct however...basic stuff.....so leave the "suitcases" at home! LOL!

brkgnews

Ahhh... I'm getting "home"sick for EPCOT... just took a look at the EPCOTCentral blog and saw the beautiful image on this post...
(click the image to go full size!)
You can see the Italy landing where our reception will be held. I can just feel that warm breeze coming off the lagoon already!

BwanaBob

Hey guys.

Just now found the thread.

Just an observation...

I had a lot of input from several people back in 2004 (wanted it to be a 'WDWMagic' meet, but Steve is cautious about that kind of stuff).
Cash Bar and alcohol was not an option. I had kids... yes kids... sending me money. Cash. I could not control what parents were not being told. You WILL have people show up that you did not plan.
You do NOT want the liability! This was why this option was axed last time.

I can control my kids... I was not about to babysit others. I even sent people a waivor so that I had signatures on file if someone was to claim getting hurt or whatever.

...and if anyone wants to refresh their memories about that meet, here it is...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=39469&highlight=epcot+meet

...and the aftermath...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=42116

-BB

robhedin

Hey guys.

I had a lot of input from several people back in 2004 (wanted it to be a 'WDWMagic' meet, but Steve is cautious about that kind of stuff).
Cash Bar and alcohol was not an option. I had kids... yes kids... sending me money. Cash. I could not control what parents were not being told. You WILL have people show up that you did not plan.
You do NOT want the liability! This was why this option was axed last time.

I wouldn't imagine that would be an issue-- anyone that can pay and is on the guest list can come, but the cash bar is exactly that--- Disney (actually their agent in the form of the bartender/cashier) that is serving, so they would have to check ids and not to serve to those under age. This is the same thing that happens if you get a group together to go have a birthday party at a local restaurant-- the restaurant won't serve alcohol to those that aren't of age.

As far as having people show up that we didn't plan on, how exactly would that work? I thought that all those that were "allowed" had to be on a guest list and that Disney wouldn't allow anyone not on that list to enter? Or perhaps I misunderstood, and that anyone could enter on the day-of the event by merely showing up and paying their fee?

rob.

jasondiff

I think Disney will give me wristbands to give out to everyone. Although this isn't the way it worked at my wedding, BwanaBob said this was how it worked at the meet he organized. If this is what will happen, I will give out wristbands and check your name off my list, then Disney will only admit people to the event area who have a wristband. This will be nice since it will easily allow people to leave and come back (e.g. for bathrooms, etc.)

Disney needs a final headcount 72 hours in advance to prepare the food, so people will not be able to show up the same day and get in. We won't have food or a wristband for them.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, I don't think having children would be a problem. Really, we're just paying to get into a confined area and be given desserts and they're gonna roll over a drink cart (that has non and alcholic beverages, like every world showcase cart/stand) and man a CM.

I don't think it's a problem. We're really just creating our own dessert buffet restaurant which happens to have a killer view of the fireworks.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
And since this is on the general "fun fan get together" thread..

Anyone who shows up at Epcot at 10am on October 1st is responsible for themself :) Really, it's just like any other day at the park. We're just wanting to all be at the same place at the same time.

jasondiff

We probably should continue this dessert party discussion on the other thread, but if we do the wristbands, we can just make a policy that I won't give out wristbands to any unaccompanied minors. That should help things somewhat.

I need to confirm with our event manager, but if we do wristbands, I will be able to hand them out during the day as people join our day-long festivities. I will certainly be at the main meeting spot behind Fountain of Nations at 10 am, probably even earlier than that for people who are anxious to get their wristbands.

brkgnews

We probably should continue this dessert party discussion on the other thread, but if we do the wristbands, we can just make a policy that I won't give out wristbands to any unaccompanied minors. That should help things somewhat.

I need to confirm with our event manager, but if we do wristbands, I will be able to hand them out during the day as people join our day-long festivities. I will certainly be at the main meeting spot behind Fountain of Nations at 10 am, probably even earlier than that for people who are anxious to get their wristbands.
Just make sure you don't wrangle yourself into getting stuck waiting at the same blasted spot all day long while waiting for people to lope in and get their wristbands.

BwanaBob

Wristbands are part of the deal. You WILL get a package to distribute. It's the way WDWEvents keeps track of who to allow behind the rope.

What I meant by 'show-ups' is... plan on an additional 10% of folks who want to go and are willing to give you $$$... they just had no idea you've been planning this thing for months! We had CM's who found out they were scheduled off and wanted to be there, additional family members of board-members not accounted for, then board members who you run into during the 'meet' who want to be a part of the event last minute.

We had the opportunity to have The Odyssey all to ourselves if weather was bad... but that may not be an option to you this time.

Wish I could say I would definitely be there, otherwise you would have my money by now... I'll be one of those pain-in-the- last-minute 'show-ups'!!

BwanaBob

Well, I don't think having children would be a problem. Really, we're just paying to get into a confined area and be given desserts and they're gonna roll over a drink cart (that has non and alcholic beverages, like every world showcase cart/stand) and man a CM.

I don't think it's a problem. We're really just creating our own dessert buffet restaurant which happens to have a killer view of the fireworks.

It's not the fact that there will be children there as much as it is the fact that 'kids' who frequent the board... mostly locals... will show up with no guardian at all. 12 - 14 year olds. I for one did not want to be responsible for taking money from a minor whilst mom and dad had no idea who I was and... more importantly... what kind of cult-internet-gathering their kids were a part of.

Just CYA.

:)

jasondiff

Just make sure you don't wrangle yourself into getting stuck waiting at the same blasted spot all day long while waiting for people to lope in and get their wristbands.

I figure I'll set specific times for wristband distribution. (This sounds like evening EMH!) Say 9:30-10 am behind Fountain of Nations, then again midafternoon at a spot TBD, then at 7:30 pm at Italy. The midafternoon spot will depend on what else is going on that day. Since no one really needs the wristband till 8:00 pm, it shouldn't be a big deal if people don't get them until just before the dessert party.

jasondiff

It's not the fact that there will be children there as much as it is the fact that 'kids' who frequent the board... mostly locals... will show up with no guardian at all. 12 - 14 year olds. I for one did not want to be responsible for taking money from a minor whilst mom and dad had no idea who I was and... more importantly... what kind of cult-internet-gathering their kids were a part of.

Just CYA.

:)

I think I may have to set a policy of no unaccompanied minors for the dessert party. I don't think anyone who signed up so far is an unaccompanied minor, but I'll double check. I think it helps that the event is on a Monday night. If anyone has a problem with the "no unaccompanied minors" policy please let me know.

BwanaBob said:
Wish I could say I would definitely be there, otherwise you would have my money by now... I'll be one of those pain-in-the- last-minute 'show-ups'!!

Depending on how many people sign up, and/or how many people email me that they want to come but don't know their work schedule, I can maybe set aside a few extra spots for people like you! :animwink: :lol:

BwanaBob said:
We had the opportunity to have The Odyssey all to ourselves if weather was bad... but that may not be an option to you this time.

We will have a backup rain location; we'll find out what it is about a week ahead of time. Where it is depends on what venues are still available that night and how many people we end up having.

Budahman

Ahhhhhh. I'm alittle late to this thread....Holy Cow 30 pages already.

I WILL be there on Oct 1st, most definitely. Should be a great time for sure. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom