"Frozen" Overlay for Maelstrom

hpyhnt 1000

Why don't they? A Frozen renovation of the Maelstrom is something that could GREATLY help Epcot. It would be very popular and we could see more attractions, pavillions, and attention go into Epcot. I could see the Rhine River Cruises added to Germany, maybe a Mullan ride in China. Despite more characters the park would receive visitors and attention which at this point is something it needs.

I dunno. Even if they did implement the overlay I don't see it being a huge draw.
For one, It's not exactly E-ticket sized. In terms of thrills there's one small drop and a semi-fast backwards section, but there's not a great deal of room inside for elaborate show scenes.
Also, theme park guests seem to be able to tell the difference between a new ride and a refurbished one. Test Track 2 isn't exactly juicing up park attendance in an Everest-like way. Having the same name as the old one probably doesn't help, but Disney fans do seem to be able to tell when a new big thing is added and when something has just been freshened up a bit.
Besides, Maelstrom is still very popular and typically operates at-capacity all day. It doesn't need an overlay so much as it needs more diligent maintenance and a new post-show film.

The points in red highlights from @Bairstow are some of the reasons. A re-theme to Frozen does nothing to actually increase Epcot's overall ride capacity. All it does is further push the pavilion away from what it should be showcasing - Norway.

On top of that, EPCOT was never intended to have Disney characters as the main reason/theme for its attractions (apart from perhaps Figment, who was created specifically for Journey Into Imagination). And this was even more true of World Showcase, which was meant to be a serious and informative exhibition showcasing the people, culture and cuisine of individual nations.

Unfortunately, today's Epcot (for various reasons) has shifted away from what the park originally was all about. So maybe you have a point with Frozen taking over Maelstrom and Norway; we already have the precedent of The Seas with Nemo and Friends and Gran Fiesta Tour after all. But I like to think/hope that, at some point, someone at Disney will realize that Epcot could be, deserves to be, much more than just a slightly more educational Magic Kingdom.

Sam Magic

Well I don't like the inclusion of every single character known to man OR the complete overhaul of Norway for Frozen. I would just like to see the Maelstrom expanded and become a Frozen dark ride. I would also like to see a China expansion for a small Mulan themed ride only to boost attendance. I would love to see Nemo and Friends removed from the Seas along with a complete conversion of Future World to a more modern/futuristic and educational area. Having a few 'fairy tale' rides to draw more people in would be like a weenie. Imagine Future World revived and all guest having to pass through it to get to the 'fairy tales'; guest could become engaged with the entrance land and spend more time in it. After a while Disney would see Epcot's popular again and to satisfy the growing crowds the park would receive attention. It's simple Disney thinking.

Bairstow

Well I don't like the inclusion of every single character known to man OR the complete overhaul of Norway for Frozen. I would just like to see the Maelstrom expanded and become a Frozen dark ride. I would also like to see a China expansion for a small Mulan themed ride only to boost attendance. I would love to see Nemo and Friends removed from the Seas along with a complete conversion of Future World to a more modern/futuristic and educational area. Having a few 'fairy tale' rides to draw more people in would be like a weenie. Imagine Future World revived and all guest having to pass through it to get to the 'fairy tales'; guest could become engaged with the entrance land and spend more time in it. After a while Disney would see Epcot's popular again and to satisfy the growing crowds the park would receive attention. It's simple Disney thinking.

Currently the opposite situation is true.
With the glaring exception of the Gran Fiesta Tour, the World Showcase is the more mature counterpart to the kid-friendly Future World.
...which makes sense because the Showcase is where the booze is, after all.

Sam Magic

Currently the opposite situation is true.
With the glaring exception of the Gran Fiesta Tour, the World Showcase is the more mature counterpart to the kid-friendly Future World.
...which makes sense because the Showcase is where the booze is, after all.
Of course...has anyone ever been to Disney's Germany? I think we can all agree Future World is a wasteland and World Showcase is making it by. Both could use uplifts and expansions. By creating a weenie those in the company that have been pushing for renovations could have something to brag about and push the green lighting of renovations.

Turtle

What if.... The Tangled bathroom/rest area... It was seasonally upgrade with every Disney fairytale movie. Currently its Tangled with Paschal Scavenger hunt.

It's updated for Frozen in 2014 (with talking Olaf animatronic).

In 2016, it's remade into Giants (Jack and the Beanstalk) with some interactive element

In 2018, it's updated into Moana with another interactive element

Sam Magic

What if.... The Tangled bathroom/rest area... It was seasonally upgrade with every Disney fairytale movie. Currently its Tangled with Paschal Scavenger hunt.

It's updated for Frozen in 2014 (with talking Olaf animatronic).

In 2016, it's remade into Giants (Jack and the Beanstalk) with some interactive element

In 2018, it's updated into Moana with another interactive element
Too much updating.

tl77

I saw Frozen with my two little 3 year old nieces who left the theater singing the "Let it Go" song, so we all pretty much loved it. I don't think I'd want to see it replace Maelstrom, but isn't there a M&G building in the Bavarian village area of "old" Fantasyland, next to PPF and across from the Tangled rest-room? That seems like a good spot for the Frozen girls

FigmentJedi

I liked Frozen, but no, Norway shouldn't become a second Princess Fantasy Faire, it's bad enough as is. A lot of people rag on Three Caballeros, but El Rio del Tiempo was already a cartoon bird free version of that movie's third act, so it actually fits reasonably well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I liked Frozen, but no, Norway shouldn't become a second Princess Fantasy Faire, it's bad enough as is. A lot of people rag on Three Caballeros, but El Rio del Tiempo was already a cartoon bird free version of that movie's third act, so it actually fits reasonably well.
Well, Norway already has Akersus...Princess Meal.

Yensid1974

So, I've never started a discussion before- so be nice =) Next, this is not a rumor just a thought so take none of this as fact, but....

My wife and I just got back from seeing "Frozen" and really loved it. We started talking about how it could and should replaced the old Norway Maelstrom ride. The movie had everything: the Norwegian setting, the trolls, magic, the culture, and endearing characters. I could see Disney keeping the ride system and just using "Frozen" as the plot of the ride. I know it would be far down on the list but do you think it could happen? Would there be a huge backlash from fans who consider Maelstrom a classic ride? Anyone else see "Frozen" and have ideas for how they could tie it in? They already invaded the Stave church at EPCOT with "Frozen" so it seems like a natural fit. I just feel like this ride is stuck in the past and could really use some new magic. Plus, blasting the ac and making it fake snow inside could be awesome (especially in July). Thoughts???? Ideas?

How about.... NO. There is already too much character intrusion into Epcot. That needs to end as soon as possible. Epcot was never intended to be the park with the characters, its purpose is altogether different. Taking more of the characters out of the park is one of the many issues Epcot faces.

TinkerBelle8878

Meanwhile, over in MK, Ariel is thinking to herself..'It took over 20 years to get a ride and these new upstarts get a ride overlay one week after being in theaters?' :p

Sam Magic

Meanwhile, over in MK, Ariel is thinking to herself..'It took over 20 years to get a ride and these new upstarts get a ride overlay one week after being in theaters?' :p
Well maybe Arial should have pulled in nearly $98 million dollars on opening weekend. Let alone $136 million opening week!

TinkerBelle8878

Well maybe Arial should have pulled in nearly $98 million dollars on opening weekend. Let alone $136 million opening week!

Is that adjusted for inflation of movie theater tickets? I'm not saying this in an argumentative way, just wondering. It seems any movie now will make more than something in the 1980s, simply due to that. I just remember how huge The Little Mermaid was when it was released and how it basically kicked off the next round of major movies (Beauty, Aladdin, Lion King, etc). That was more where the Ariel comment came from. Not putting Frozen down, just that its funny that it took that long to close 20k, pave it over, build a playground, let it sit, etc...and Frozen is already being talked about for a ride.

Bairstow

Is that adjusted for inflation of movie theater tickets? I'm not saying this in an argumentative way, just wondering. .

Even adjusted for inflation and lower ticket prices, The Little Mermaid's original opening weekend was still under $25 million in 2013 dollars.

Its boxoffice performance is weird, though, or at least very different from today's norm. It stuck around for a long time and its New Year's holiday week pulled in a lot more money than its opening weekend.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=littlemermaid.htm

By the way, Honey I Shrunk the Kids made Disney considerably more money in 1989, at least in theaters, and wouldn't you know it...

ITTBAB%2004.jpg

2452509154_08bc4a5d0a_z.jpg

p1030583.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Is that adjusted for inflation of movie theater tickets? I'm not saying this in an argumentative way, just wondering. It seems any movie now will make more than something in the 1980s, simply due to that. I just remember how huge The Little Mermaid was when it was released and how it basically kicked off the next round of major movies (Beauty, Aladdin, Lion King, etc). That was more where the Ariel comment came from. Not putting Frozen down, just that its funny that it took that long to close 20k, pave it over, build a playground, let it sit, etc...and Frozen is already being talked about for a ride.
Even adjusted for inflation Little Mermaid is 22 out of 24 for opening weekend for Disney since the 80s. Here is the link to the list if you prefer it to graphs

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/frozen-thanksgiving-box-office-record

enhanced-buzz-5343-1385944668-13.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom