"Frozen" Overlay for Maelstrom

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Even adjusted for inflation Little Mermaid is 22 out of 24 for opening weekend for Disney since the 80s. Here is the link to the list if you prefer it to graphs

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/frozen-thanksgiving-box-office-record

enhanced-buzz-5343-1385944668-13.jpg
This chart is so interesting and jibes with things I remember.

LM wasn't expected to be very good, but word of mouth brought people to the theaters (I know it did for my family!).

We skipped Rescuers Down Under in the theaters, and it seems many others did as well. But, that's actually a very important movie. It was the testing of the computer generated animation integration that would later be used in BatB and the Lion King, and while that tech was used in pretty much every Disney movie since...this was the first.

Beauty and the Beast seems to have had reception similar to LM...but, it triggered an avalanche of Disney fans, as the numbers show.

And this is where it follows my memory...every Disney movie was a must see. Pochahotis numbers I think are conflated (I didn't think the movie was very good at all) because general expectations were so high.

Anyhow, just an interesting chart!

cheezbat

While I would probably enjoy a Frozen attraction, I'd like to keep it away from Epcot for the most part.

Too bad Storybook Circus is already built. Would have made a nice Scandanavian section for Fantasyland.

A Tangled dark ride/area, a Wonderland area, and a Frozen area would all be more welcome than Storybook Circus. I just don't like that area.

Frozen couldve been a great mini-land.

Sped2424

rewatching frozen Its still an amazing film. I think its even better the 2nd time round! As for this thread I like the new direction of it. There is a bunch of space at magic kingdom for anything frozen, it would just have to be working around the berm or demolishing the speedway.

alissafalco

A NEW Frozen dark ride would be really cool. Just not at Epcot or replacing maelstrom. Fantasyland would be perfect for it. However I'm not holding my breath on that one.

tl77

The average ticket price for a 2D movie today is $12 for adults and $9 for kids, 3D is like $15.50 for adults and $12.50 for kids and movies now are promoted heavily to make all their money back in the fist 10 days this is why Frozen made so much money so quickly

20+ years ago the movie and theater business was structured differently, a good movie would play for months and the average ticket prices were less than half of what they are now. In 1989 I think an adult ticket was around $5.50 and kids were like $3.50

Matt_Black

The average ticket price for a 2D movie today is $12 for adults and $9 for kids, 3D is like $15.50 for adults and $12.50 for kids and movies now are promoted heavily to make all their money back in the fist 10 days this is why Frozen made so much money so quickly

20+ years ago the movie and theater business was structured differently, a good movie would play for months and the average ticket prices were less than half of what they are now. In 1989 I think an adult ticket was around $5.50 and kids were like $3.50

The Forbes article I read had adjusted for inflation, and their figures still put it as one of the best Disney openings in several categories.

Furthermore, my theater chains prices for 2D for adults was $6.50-10.50 depending on the time of day you see it.

And while the higher prices might account for the big opening, that doesn't account for the overwhemingly positive critic and audience response.

tl77

The Forbes article I read had adjusted for inflation, and their figures still put it as one of the best Disney openings in several categories.

Furthermore, my theater chains prices for 2D for adults was $6.50-10.50 depending on the time of day you see it.

And while the higher prices might account for the big opening, that doesn't account for the overwhemingly positive critic and audience response.

I think Frozen is great and ticket prices vary all over but the big difference between now and the late 80's is that Movies make most of their money in the first 2 weeks at a theater, almost nothing runs in theaters more than 2 to 3 months anymore, and usually 4 months from the opening weekend a movie is released on Blu-ray/DVD and On-Demand

in the 1980's and into the 90's films would play in theaters much longer than they do now, and wouldn't be released on VHS until 1 year after the theatrical premier. I remember that Pulp Fiction played in theaters for a full year, and they had to pull it out of theaters in order to not conflict with the VHS contract

Little Mermaid, Frozen, Pulp Fiction are all very popular movies, that were very well received by critics, and all made a lot of money, but "adjusted for inflation" numbers are fine, I'm not talking about inflation so much at nature of the movie business today vs. 25 years ago.

And getting back to the point of thread for a second, back before Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid had Restaurants and rides in Magic Kingdom the both had live stage shows in MGM/Hollywood Studios (and still do) but given the popularity of Frozen, and the amount of songs in it, I think it's a lot more likely you'd see Frozen stage show replace on of those existing shows in the Studios before Maelstrom in Epcot or anything in MK

Matt_Black

And getting back to the point of thread for a second, back before Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid had Restaurants and rides in Magic Kingdom the both had live stage shows in MGM/Hollywood Studios (and still do) but given the popularity of Frozen, and the amount of songs in it, I think it's a lot more likely you'd see Frozen stage show replace on of those existing shows in the Studios before Maelstrom in Epcot or anything in MK

I'd love a Frozen stage show! Get the fake snow they use at Christmas and spray it on the audience!

Although it is still a great ride like it is I think I would welcome the overlay. As for blasting the AC I think that would make it a clear winner! Its hard to think Norway when its 90+ outside. This would be one of the few good fits like introducing PotC movie characters to PotC.

Vader2112

Well, while even though a little disjointed in narration/order, It use to be a gem. When it had more effects, when it was better maintained, when the Norwegian government was still in charge, when there was a tourism aspect, when the movie wasnt so outdated, when there was a second movie tour upstairs, when there was a playground, when akershus didnt have princesses that dont belong....it use to be a full fledged Norwegian experience. Disney has chopped away at it and let it go in some respects. Im not against frozen being there in some form but its just princess and character overkill anymore.
Agreed, however this was also due to Norway ceasing their sponsorship of the pavillion.

Vader2112

Figment is an exception as a designed-for-EPCOT character.

The Frozen tie-in and The Three Caballeros are good examples of what NOT to do.

The character meet-n-greets are debatable. It's nice for the kiddies, but I'd rather see Dreamfinder and Figment return.
My 3 and 5 year old would love a Figment meet and greet and sadly all they have seen is the current incarnation. I miss Epcot being EPCOT.

Vader2112

Although it is still a great ride like it is I think I would welcome the overlay. As for blasting the AC I think that would make it a clear winner! Its hard to think Norway when its 90+ outside. This would be one of the few good fits like introducing PotC movie characters to PotC.
I think many die hards would disagree that adding the Where's Waldo Captain Jack to POTC was a good fit. I think it took away from a great ride as the to PC changes prior.

Vader2112

Disney will capitalize on the success of this film at the parks as many have stated it has been well received by critics and the public. I thought it was a story with a solid message. I have to say the last 2 princess movies I sat through with my daughter were encouraging. Both Frozen and Brave showing her that she does not need a prince to come and save the day. True love can simply be the love one has for there sister or shown in the sacrifices we make for our familes. I would not mind a meet and greet for my kids but the overlay on Malestrom meahh...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom