"Frozen" Overlay for Maelstrom

Bairstow

Everyone agrees....
a12.gif

So you're saying the Frozen overlay needs to go the shame car?

Sped2424

I just wanna make it clear, if you guys don't think this is on TDO's list especially after the film has come out and been a commercial and critical success ya'll are crazy. Much like how pooh killed toad the chance for them to fully deck out the princess merch and gear in norway is not one they are going to miss. Lets all be honest too, maelstrom is nice, but far too outdated and disjointed in terms of a ride narrative. I called this happening if the film was successful. Now you know what would be awesome? if they demolished the show building and built a bunch of Norwegian mountains instead matterhorn style, give us a frozen bobsled attraction with hints of marc davis's ideas littered throughout.

willtravel

I wouldn't be surprised it they added characters from Frozen (even if paper cut outs) to Maelstrom. They did it to Pirates of the Caribbean and did a movie tie in there.

Sped2424

No, Maelstrom is an educational experience and Disney has been dumbing down the park for idiots for ages. Frozen does not belong in there.
I love it when people say this, but the most educational part about that ride is the film in which everyone darts out of the theater so they don't have to sit through it. Other than that its "The spirit of Norway is adventure, trolls, oil rigs" Idk about you but that is a lot of diverse education right there. I don't see why everyone thinks this attraction is a such a gem, its nice, but pretty meh. I am not saying it needs to become frozen, I am just saying anything else would honestly be more exciting. Update the ride if need be and add something else in there, streamline the story so we don't end in a oil rig with no explanation.

aladdin2007

Might as well just turn Epcot into a drinking fantasyland at this point. Princesscot, Charactercot, whatever they want to call it but they are straying too far from Epcot now, especially if Imagination shuts down for good.

Sped2424

Might as well just turn Epcot into a drinking fantasyland at this point. Princesscot, Charactercot, whatever they want to call it but they are straying too far from Epcot now, especially if Imagination shuts down for good.
Characters have been there for quite some time, Mexico lost its ride, as did the living seas both to ip's. However I feel if done right this wouldn't be the end of the world. Take the exhibit in the stave church for example, perfect way of blending the source material with the IP. Now I agree the donald ride is nothing more than those characters, but like I said I hope when pixars dia de los muerto's film comes out they can put something more culturally relevant and informative than the 3 caballero's. There is a way to do this without sacrificing the initial epcot experience. They imagineers just need to find that balance of story and education with these ip's. I consider nemo a good example of that for the living seas, gets kids interested in the marine life around them, the shark playground is littered with facts about them and for the most part the pavilion still is very informative.

aladdin2007

I love it when people say this, but the most educational part about that ride is the film in which everyone darts out of the theater so they don't have to sit through it. Other than that its "The spirit of Norway is adventure, trolls, oil rigs" Idk about you but that is a lot of diverse education right there. I don't see why everyone thinks this attraction is a such a gem, its nice, but pretty meh. I am not saying it needs to become frozen, I am just saying anything else would honestly be more exciting. Update the ride if need be and add something else in there, streamline the story so we don't end in a oil rig with no explanation.

Well, while even though a little disjointed in narration/order, It use to be a gem. When it had more effects, when it was better maintained, when the Norwegian government was still in charge, when there was a tourism aspect, when the movie wasnt so outdated, when there was a second movie tour upstairs, when there was a playground, when akershus didnt have princesses that dont belong....it use to be a full fledged Norwegian experience. Disney has chopped away at it and let it go in some respects. Im not against frozen being there in some form but its just princess and character overkill anymore.

aladdin2007

Characters have been there for quite some time, Mexico lost its ride, as did the living seas both to ip's. However I feel if done right this wouldn't be the end of the world. Take the exhibit in the stave church for example, perfect way of blending the source material with the IP. Now I agree the donald ride is nothing more than those characters, but like I said I hope when pixars dia de los muerto's film comes out they can put something more culturally relevant and informative than the 3 caballero's. There is a way to do this without sacrificing the initial epcot experience. They imagineers just need to find that balance of story and education with these ip's. I consider nemo a good example of that for the living seas, gets kids interested in the marine life around them, the shark playground is littered with facts about them and for the most part the pavilion still is very informative.

True to all the above,,,,good points, its just everything seems to be being over kiddified, princessfied, and characterfied. They could have done a really great job with blending 3 cabs into Mexico but instead went the cheap route.

Sped2424

Well, while even though a little disjointed in narration/order, It use to be a gem. When it had more effects, when it was better maintained, when the Norwegian government was still in charge, when there was a tourism aspect, when the movie wasnt so outdated, when there was a second movie tour upstairs, when there was a playground, when akershus didnt have princesses that dont belong....it use to be a full fledged Norwegian experience. Disney has chopped away at it and let it go in some respects. Im not against frozen being there in some form but its just princess and character overkill anymore.
It did use to be that, but sadly no longer is, granted disney is going to use these characters no matter what we want, which is a bummer but if they use them in the right way I don't see whats so wrong about it. Get rid of the other princesses at Akershus and make it just anna and elsa, maybe even some ice harvesters who could teach the boys how to wield their own little plastic pic axe. I guess we can just hope for Disney to somehow try to make Norway relevant in the Norway pavilion again.

aladdin2007

It did use to be that, but sadly no longer is, granted disney is going to use these characters no matter what we want, which is a bummer but if they use them in the right way I don't see whats so wrong about it. Get rid of the other princesses at Akershus and make it just anna and elsa, maybe even some ice harvesters who could teach the boys how to wield their own little plastic pic axe. I guess we can just hope for Disney to somehow try to make Norway relevant in the Norway pavilion again.

Def agree and sounds cool, they should be in Akershus instead of the ones there, that would at least make it fitting. Im relieved regarding the stave church and like how they blended the two, culture and a bit of the movie.

Sped2424

True to all the above,,,,good points, its just everything seems to be being over kiddified, princessfied, and characterfied. They could have done a really great job with blending 3 cabs into Mexico but instead went the cheap route.
You are not wrong, it sucks but that is how disney is going to market it, and its what most the "families" are now wanting all across the board. I don't blame them, I blame disney for not upkeeping and updating what was their to make it such a unique experience that people wouldn't want anything else. See most people on this board remember what epcot was before its initial downfall which is why they are so ticked about all these characters. But I can't really blame new families for all these other experiences especially since Disney has done so little to make people want anything else.

aladdin2007

You are not wrong, it sucks but that is how disney is going to market it, and its what most the "families" are now wanting all across the board. I don't blame them, I blame disney for not upkeeping and updating what was their to make it such a unique experience that people wouldn't want anything else. See most people on this board remember what epcot was before its initial downfall which is why they are so ticked about all these characters. But I can't really blame new families for all these other experiences especially since Disney has done so little to make people want anything else.

Yeah two different time periods I guess, the golden age of Epcot which I grew up in thankfully, and totally miss, and then todays group which is stuck with whatever bones Disney is willing to throw at them.

SJN1279

I could see Frozen becoming a stage show in DHS, or on the Disney Cruise Line. I also could see it making it to Broadway down the line. I would be all for a Maelstrom overlay, just not sure how it would fit.

Frozen is poised to be Disney's biggest animated hit in quite some time, and it is a very deserving movie.

willtravel

What are you referring to, "second movie tour upstairs"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom