"Frozen" Overlay for Maelstrom

Fox&Hound

Original Poster
I don't see why EPCOT can't do both-educate and entertain. Do adding Disney characters to out of date experiences really cheapen them? The Norway ride is so stagnant-it's like stepping back in time but not in a good way. Why not add some new life to it? Or at least change the movie? What if the characters from Frozen used the movie described the beauty of Norway and some of its traditions/heritage. More people would watch the film, if nothing else out of curiosity, then run for the exits once they get off the ride. I mean, Disney could at least update that 70's poster you look at before you load. I don't care what anyone says-the majority of Disney guests want to see Disney characters at a Disney park. EPCOT can still be about appreciating world culture but maybe by adding some familiar faces kids wouldn't be so bored out of their mind as they walk around wondering when they can get back to MK. And for all the people who say "EPCOT is a more sophisticated park and the characters belong in MK only"-dude, you're at a Disney park?!?!?

I can appreciate everyone who says don't touch it, it's a classic. I just don't get it. But, I guess that's what great about park guests-we can all love something different and consider it a classic to us and our families.

aladdin2007

I don't see why EPCOT can't do both-educate and entertain. Do adding Disney characters to out of date experiences really cheapen them? The Norway ride is so stagnant-it's like stepping back in time but not in a good way. Why not add some new life to it? Or at least change the movie? What if the characters from Frozen used the movie described the beauty of Norway and some of its traditions/heritage. More people would watch the film, if nothing else out of curiosity, then run for the exits once they get off the ride. I mean, Disney could at least update that 70's poster you look at before you load. I don't care what anyone says-the majority of Disney guests want to see Disney characters at a Disney park. EPCOT can still be about appreciating world culture but maybe by adding some familiar faces kids wouldn't be so bored out of their mind as they walk around wondering when they can get back to MK. And for all the people who say "EPCOT is a more sophisticated park and the characters belong in MK only"-dude, you're at a Disney park?!?!?

I can appreciate everyone who says don't touch it, it's a classic. I just don't get it. But, I guess that's what great about park guests-we can all love something different and consider it a classic to us and our families.

Epcot was never intended to become or be like the magic kingdom, and it never should be. but thats the direction they are going. except the boozefests are kinda clashing with that sentiment. Epcot has an indentity crisis really anymore. They dont want to invest in new attractions but they will add more meetngreets, and booze, yet shutter whole pavilions. All the while erin youngs will get huge a bonus for doing so to save costs probably. :banghead:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Epcot was never intended to become or be like the magic kingdom, and it never should be. but thats the direction they are going. except the boozefests are kinda clashing with that sentiment. Epcot has an indentity crisis really anymore. They dont want to invest in new attractions but they will add more meetngreets, and booze, yet shutter whole pavilions. All the while erin youngs will get huge a bonus for doing so to save costs probably. :banghead:
Don't forget... they have also jacke up the prices.

Sped2424

A lot of frozen threads out there right now, seems like people definitely want something out of this film. How cool would it be if they built a fjord like in norway.
Fjord_and_mountains_in_Svolv%C3%A6r.jpg

Give us that bobsled attraction that was supposed to go there about 30 years ago. Keep malestrom as maelstrom and make this ride the frozen ride. Tdo wouldn't do this because that cost money but a guy can dream.

TRONorail10

They could still build it behind Gaston's Taven and Little Mermaid. Nice patch of woods there, all they'd have to do is re-route World Drive.

Granted,I was hoping that it would be Agrabah instead, but I'd be more than accepting of a Frozen sub-land.

It's actually not a nice patch of woods, even if it looks like it from Google Earth. There is a steep ravine that would be a logistical nightmare to build on due to the railroad tracks/canal on one side and the main service road for MK on the other. MK has no plans to ever build on that area. New Fantasyland is pushed right up to the service road, so there will be no further building in that area of the park. Frontierland/Adventureland are a completely different story aside from taking out the Speedway.

hpyhnt 1000

Frozen does not belong at Epcot. Attractions based on animated fantasy movies should be confined to Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios in my opinion.

The other thing, no more re-themes or overlays (apart from temporary seasonal ones). WDW needs more NEW attractions, not another re-purposed one.

Sam Magic

Frozen does not belong at Epcot. Attractions based on animated fantasy movies should be confined to Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios in my opinion.

The other thing, no more re-themes or overlays (apart from temporary seasonal ones). WDW needs more NEW attractions, not another re-purposed one.
Why don't they? A Frozen renovation of the Maelstrom is something that could GREATLY help Epcot. It would be very popular and we could see more attractions, pavillions, and attention go into Epcot. I could see the Rhine River Cruises added to Germany, maybe a Mullan ride in China. Despite more characters the park would receive visitors and attention which at this point is something it needs.

Bairstow

Why don't they? A Frozen renovation of the Maelstrom is something that could GREATLY help Epcot. It would be very popular and we could see more attractions, pavillions, and attention go into Epcot. I could see the Rhine River Cruises added to Germany, maybe a Mullan ride in China. Despite more characters the park would receive visitors and attention which at this point is something it needs.

I dunno. Even if they did implement the overlay I don't see it being a huge draw.
For one, It's not exactly E-ticket sized. In terms of thrills there's one small drop and a semi-fast backwards section, but there's not a great deal of room inside for elaborate show scenes.
Also, theme park guests seem to be able to tell the difference between a new ride and a refurbished one. Test Track 2 isn't exactly juicing up park attendance in an Everest-like way. Having the same name as the old one probably doesn't help, but Disney fans do seem to be able to tell when a new big thing is added and when something has just been freshened up a bit.
Besides, Maelstrom is still very popular and typically operates at-capacity all day. It doesn't need an overlay so much as it needs more diligent maintenance and a new post-show film.
Any new post show film.

5661626-bigbrokendown-Photo-Dec-19,-6.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom