Frigid Weather Hits O-Town

sknydave

Don't worry about getting sick. Sickness does not develop overnight, it takes 7-10 days once infected. The key word there is infected...you must be infected to get sick, cold and wetness will not get one sick. So enjoy your safari.

The cold and wetness will affect a person's immune system, causing them to be more vulnerable to sickness. There is absolutely no way in the world I would skip a Sunrise Safari, though!

sublimesting

The cold and wetness will affect a person's immune system, causing them to be more vulnerable to sickness. There is absolutely no way in the world I would skip a Sunrise Safari, though!

It won't affect the immune system any more than becoming worn out would. The cold and wetness doesn't make your immune system compromised. If you are literally freezing and shivering and your body is wearing down trying not to freeze to death then you will start to wear down and lower your defenses. But your body also will get worn out by working out too much, walking in the summer heat all day etc. I'd say walking at Disney in 100 degree July weather will do more to make you immunocompromised than walking in the cold, especially if you ar edressed appropriatley. Most folks think going out with a wet head invites a head cold, or not zipping up your coat will give you a chest cold, etc. The reason people get sick in the winter is because more people are indoors together spreading germs more.

OliveMcFly

I've been living in Orlando for 3 years now, originally from PA. The coldest I've seen in the those 3 years is 27 degrees at about 8 am. It really is the type of cold that just hurts you, it's horrible. We went to Sea World the other night and it was in the 50s, I had on 3 layers of shirts, 2 layers of pants, and 2 layers of socks and it didn't work very well. What kills me is the guests that apparently can't read a weather report because they were decked out in shorts and t shirts. Like they said on News 13 here in Orlando, no matter where you're from this is cold weather for everyone.

MissM

I was there Saturday and man IT WAS COLD. And it's gotten colder since Saturday.

Here's the thing that's tricky about Florida cold weather. In direct sunlight it can feel warmer then it really is. Go into shade or come nightfall and things feel VERY cold VERY fast.

It's amazing how much impact the sun can have and when it's gone, you suddenly feel not just a little colder, but freezing.

They had an entire section of the Emporium (the "sports" section) full of nothing but hoodies/sweatshirts grouped by size last weekend. And they were selling tons of blankets and had hot cocoa stations set up everywhere.

SirGoofy

I've been working the past few days...let's just say it's PAINFUL to be outside for an entire shift. My head has been killing me.

imagineer boy

Ha! Here in St. Louis, the highs have only been in the twenties. Its just so uncomfortably cold that you just can't ever go outside for anything.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When I posted this thread, I had just returned from the Magic City (that's what Miami was called for years) near the water ... where the temp wasn't much below 50 yet, but with the wind and the humidity, it was freezing.

Now, in beautiful sunlight, it is 57 and won't touch 60, much like it won't touch 50 today a few hundred miles north at WDW.

As others have said, cold here is very cold indeed.

I love the cold ... where it belongs ... elsewhere. I have been on ski slopes, in Times Square, in Boston during a blizzard or two ... and honestly feel colder when we have one of these real cold spells. I don't think I've ever been as cold as I have been a couple of New Year's Eves at EPCOT (12/31/00 was just brutal).

Anyway, when I put this up, I was expecting largely three responses by some folks:

As to the weather pattern, right now there's very little warm up predicted for the next few weeks ... just as soon as it starts rising 5-10 degrees, another front is coming in to reinforce the cold.

It really isn't fun ... oh, how I love the feeling and burnt smell of central heating in Florida homes!

EPCOT Explorer

Made it about five steps outside the door before turning around to grab a coat. :lol:
Looked nice out the window....funny how 53 degrees in Miami looks the same as 83 through a window.:shrug:

Yeah...I think you must be odd about weather.
Personally I have no use for any temperature below 75. Unless there is snow. I'll tolerate low temps as long as there is snow. Otherwise.......no thanks.
I have northern blood.:shrug:
You're right we shouldn't get political here but...:lookaroun

stevo ohio

We are leaving WDW today after 5 days (at the airport now) and it was pretty uncomfortable most of that time starting on the 2nd. It would warm up aa bit for a couple of hours in the heart of the afternoon but other than that is was tough to walk around for very long.

Mouse Man

Sorry Floridians for the cold but I live here in the Northeast and cold is the norm for the winter. The trick is just to layer you clothing and keep your neck and head warm. This will protect you from getting bad colds at least. I hope for Florida that the cold spell does end because I do not want to see the citrus crops that I love so dearly get ruined. Hang in there, you guys will be alright and NO hell is not freezing over. For me and where I live it's just winter.

Tom

Beta Return
It's Cold!

We're here now, and it's AWFUL!

We came from Indiana, where it was in the 30s and now we're told it's in the single digits. People back home are telling us, "40s would feel like a heat wave compared to this." Well, not really - unless you walk through a portal and instantly feel the difference. 40s is still cold, if your body is used to room temperature before you walk outside.

Horticulture has been in a tizzy since we got here. Each morning they're out covering more plants and flowers with the white frost-fabric. Epcot looks ridiculous right now but you can't blame them. It appeared as if they lost an entire stretch of bushes/flowers from the overnight freeze in Epcot, since they were digging them all up yesterday morning.

Blizzard Beach has been closed since we got here (but the DHS buses still swing through for some reason - makes no sense to me). Aloha Dinner has been canceled each night since at least Sunday. Splash is closed for maintenance anyway, but I'm guessing that they're not running Kali. Events out at resort pools are being moved indoors too.

I tip the scale at over a deuce and have plenty of natural insulation. I sweat just thinking about sweating. I saw the forecast and though, "Oh heck, I'll take a sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, just in case." Well, both are needing washed soon, and I need more long socks. It's friggin cold! It wouldn't be SO bad, if it weren't for the dang breeze. It's biting, face-numbing, lip chapping.

For those of you who think you're "bigger and bolder" than some wimpy Florida low temps, just admit defeat now (like I should have) and pack warmly. There are people here in shorts and they all look miserable. My lungs hurt from breathing the cold air, and I have a headache every day from the tension.

Please, take this advice if you're coming down soon: don't be a hero - be smart. You'll regret it if you don't!!!

sweetpee_1993

^^^
that's it. I'm going to the sporting goods store today to load up on UnderArmour, scarves, gloves, heavy socks, and knit caps. Then I'll stop by the liquor store for lots of little liquor bottles. Nothing like warming from the inside or drinking 'til you don't care. Lol! Just kiddin on the liquor but will be hitting up the store for the right gear.

Figment1986

It's been cold here in Tampa, I've had to even wear my Letterman jacket from high school (thickest jacket I own) for the past few days, and I'n due to move to University of Central Florida just east of Orlando on Saturday... at least I will keep warm moving my stuff from car to room and back and forth...

I doubt I will go (back) to the parks till after it warms up enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom