Frightening Spectro Rumor...

_Scar

You should really speak for yourself, and only yourself. I and others I know personally, are very emotionally invested in MSEP.

Going to ignore the TV show comparisons...

Sure seems like many fans are displeasured with MSEP currently :shrug:

wdwfan22

I hope that MSEP doesn't stick around forever. It's so outdated. Compare the pictures of the two parades, Spectro is much brighter. In my opinon MSEP was only brought back so they could say they could offer something different at Walt Disney World. Unless they plan on bringing a new parade to Magic Kingodm we had better get Spectro back.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Well, you never know! MSEP has many fans, but usually Spectro fans are very emotionally invested.

In other words, MSEP is American Idol. Crowd pleaser, millions of fans, cheesy. Spectro is Lost. Acquired taste but once you give it time and understand it you're hooked for good.

:lol::animwink:

Exactly who are you speaking for? Plenty of people are "emotionally invested" in the MSEP, just as plenty are emotionally invested in Spectro. To suggest that one has somehow attained some level of artistic brilliance, or that the people who dislike one don't understand it, however, is a little silly. We're talking about light parades.

The only parade Disney's ever done that I've had ANY kind of emotional attachment to is Tapestry of Nations.

MickeyMind

I'm usually against disney not changing something for a long time, but in this case, spectro was working, and it was working real well, like others have stated, the music gave the park a certain elegance, a somewhat grand feeling, it was classy..

The main complaints I'm hearing on this board about it is the music and I 100% agree, spectro's music tugs at your heart strings, while msep 's music only tugs at the heart strings of the nostalgics, but fails to do so for the newer generations of park visitors. It's soundtrack is stuck in the 70s, its not timeless, its very dated, and the update made it even worse.

Spectro > msep for me, and it sounds like the majority on this board agree... BRING SPECTRO BACK!

flyer31

I was really hoping to see Spectro when we hit WDW in Nov. I saw one of the last showings of DEP in California, and though I liked it, I wouldn't NEED to see it again...but Spectro...I love that parade.

ttalovebug

MSEP is a great parade, but I really miss Spectro. To me, Spectro's music is grand, sweeping, magical and beautiful. And unique, being in 3/4 time. I would be devastated if I never heard that music on Main Street again.

etwtec

So if Spectro goes to Paris does that mean WDW gets Fantillusion? If that were to happen I can not say I would be overly thrilled. I have never seen Fantillusion, only videos, however based on what I have seen I think Spectro is WAY better.

SeanC

Unlike most of us on the boards, most families only get to WDW once every few years, if not once in a lifetime...it would be silly to ship MSEP out only for a few a months. We know now that DL doesn't need the parade back for a couple of years until DCA construction settles down, and even then may return to DL proper at that point. So WDW will keep MSEP for a couple of years. Makes sense then to send Spectro somewhere. That is likely a prelude to a new parade for MK. Or Spectro maybe will return. Either way the moment they announced MSEP for this summer, common sense said it would be an extended stay. It's also unlikely Disney would ever alternate parades nightly. The ROI isn't worth it.

DonaldDoleWhip

MSEP is a great parade, but I really miss Spectro. To me, Spectro's music is grand, sweeping, magical and beautiful. And unique, being in 3/4 time. I would be devastated if I never heard that music on Main Street again.
I never really thought about it, but that's a good point. It feels very waltz-like as a result of this, and the "grand, sweeping" music works better in a park like MK (which was designed to be grander in terms of Main Street/Cinderella Castle, more spacious, and on a larger scale than DL). At the same time, those aspects would also work well in DLP, which went even further ahead of MK in design.

MSEP has its advantages. The nostalgia is there, and the music is upbeat (which Disney is clearly pushing these days - see MK's Celebrate parade and street party). But if you want an electric parade with cheesy synthesized music in the MK area, there's still the Water Pageant - these shows don't complement each other very well, since they're so similar (whereas Water Pageant + Spectro + Fireworks was a brilliant combo that immersed the MK/Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake area for years).

Honestly, I don't really notice a huge difference in the parade floats and lights. While MSEP was upgraded and includes some interesting lights such as Tinker Bell's float, the floats do look more outdated overall. If Spectro gets some effect upgrades (even minor ones) I don't see any reason why it couldn't stay in MK for a long time. If it goes, a new parade should still reflect MK's character. MSEP was something different and nostalgic, but it doesn't suit MK for the long term.

jt04

Frightening? :lol:

Nah, if this means keeping the MSEP long term, see ya' Spectro :wave:

I think DL will continue to develop the parades then pass them down when they get sick of them.

JWG

Sure seems like many fans are displeasured with MSEP currently :shrug:

Yes, a 0.00001% population of internet based Disney fans seem to prefer Spectro over MSEP (or, DEP I guess now). The same population of people who prefer the Jeremy Irons version of SSE over all others, who prefer the original JII (ok, the redo's were bad), etc.

People cling to what they remember as a child/young adult and struggle with change.

I prefer the Walter Cronkite version of SSE, but my average age is probably a bit above that of many people here. I'm ok with EO being back as I preferred that to HISTA.

I think MSEP coming back and offering something different for the MK is great. We all know it's not forever. Nothing at Disney is. At some point Spectro or something entirely different will return. So enjoy it while it's here, take advantage of something different to see and we'll all debate how we're upset it's leaving when it finally does (because that's what we do here, get mad when it comes, then get mad when it leaves :p).

Man, when Illuminations finally goes (not that Sky Dance seems to have a prayer anytime soon), the PC's of the world will be on FIRE.

FormerHMButler

Maybe it's because I grew up at the original and much better (Yes, I said it) park, Disneyland, but I find SPECTRO to be immensely boring and much more cheesy then MSEP.

I adore MSEP, and it's much more upbeat and has more of an electric quality to it. I feel more connected to the guests around me and many clap in excitement.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for soft music and instrumentals, so it's not that I'm one just to hate on SPECTRO, because I find the music boring. It's just not how a parade should be.

Someone said something about SPECTRO being more elegant, b/c MK had more that feel to it.

I find nothing about an under refurbished and outdated park elegant. Disneyland is a million more times magical, because it's based on tradition, but still progresses.

MSEP FOREVER!

janoimagine

Spectro is MK classic. Why give it up if the fans love it here so much? It should evolve over time, but essentially stay the same theme-wise and music-wise and it should never leave the MK.

Give DHS MSEP, let MK keep its baby.

I prefer the MSEP over Spectro. However I think what we are seeing is a generation gap, the younger generation preferrs Spectro, while the older generation who grew up with MSEP are glad to see it back.

Tigger1988

To suggest that one has somehow attained some level of artistic brilliance, or that the people who dislike one don't understand it, however, is a little silly. We're talking about light parades.
This, exactly. I'm amused by people saying MSEP is "cheesy"...as if Spectro is not. We're talking about Disney light parades, they're cheesy, every one of them. Spectro is not some form of high art, sorry to say.

Yes, a 0.00001% population of internet based Disney fans seem to prefer Spectro over MSEP (or, DEP I guess now).

This is what I was referring to when I said Scar should speak only for himself. The internet community represents a very small number of the population.

I prefer the MSEP over Spectro. However I think what we are seeing is a generation gap, the younger generation preferrs Spectro, while the older generation who grew up with MSEP are glad to see it back.

Not true for everyone, I saw both MSEP and Spectro as a young child and still prefer MSEP. The only thing that stuck with me from Spectro were those horrid masked men.

DisneyParksFan1

Nah, DLR can go ahead and keep their parade. I want a newly refurbed Spectromagic as the rumors say.

I never got why people hated those Spectromen. I love them, they make up part of the story and concept of Spectromagic. It's a great show element.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom