Follow Up-Kids Thrown Out of Disneyworld

IheartWDW

I cannot understand why Disney cannot make a resort near the wide world of sport complex just for these touraments/ cheerleader/ Pop Warner/ etc for these kids and leave the Value resort just for us regular customers. These tourament seem to be ongoing all year long with another beginning soon in January/ Feburary (Dance/cheerleaders). During the day they should be studing their game plans and routines and then having their evening hours visitng the disney parks. And once they been enlimated from the tourament then they should be sent home right away.

My team will be there in Janurary for the 3v3 soccer tournament. Its a little different for us considering we are 25 and older, but we still deal with the same gripes. We unfortuantely are the same weekend as the dance/cheerleading competition so the Wide World of Sports is completely filled. With the soccer tournament we have a max roster of six players, so we are considerablely smaller then the number of people for the dance/cheerleading squads. But, the point i was trying to make was that i know my tournament is not run by disney, just hosted by disney. We have to stay in a designated Disney resort or a resort on property and purchase tickets to the park and in our registration fee is the ticket to the wide world of sports. We have the option to apply for housing exemptions, but we have to appeal to disney through the tournament. Ive been lucky enough to have that granted this year, but was told it was only because i am staying at my DVC in Saratoga. Im rambelming again, sorry. But the hotels that the tournament has options for are all the All Stars, the Carribbean Beach and AK Lodge. They do that because they only run limited busses. They don't have as much accessability to the WWoS as they do eveywhere else. All of the games are scheduled during the day, but you generally only have 3 (25min) games a day. Which does leave a lot of time open. At the same time im spending good money to go to this tournament with my team (as does everyone else to goes to WDW), and we had to qualify through two other tournaments to get here, so if i get elimated the second day, im not going to pack up and leave, im going to enjoy the rest of my vacation. Again, i know its different because we are older, and the team sizes are considerable smaller then most of the events held in Disney.

I totally agree that there are some parents who need to watch their children better, and believe me i've seen my share of kids running around unsupervised. I don't want to start a war i just wanted to give some insight as to how these tournaments work.

echoscot

My team will be there in Janurary for the 3v3 soccer tournament. Its a little different for us considering we are 25 and older, but we still deal with the same gripes. We unfortuantely are the same weekend as the dance/cheerleading competition so the Wide World of Sports is completely filled. With the soccer tournament we have a max roster of six players, so we are considerablely smaller then the number of people for the dance/cheerleading squads. But, the point i was trying to make was that i know my tournament is not run by disney, just hosted by disney. We have to stay in a designated Disney resort or a resort on property and purchase tickets to the park and in our registration fee is the ticket to the wide world of sports. We have the option to apply for housing exemptions, but we have to appeal to disney through the tournament. Ive been lucky enough to have that granted this year, but was told it was only because i am staying at my DVC in Saratoga. Im rambelming again, sorry. But the hotels that the tournament has options for are all the All Stars, the Carribbean Beach and AK Lodge. They do that because they only run limited busses. They don't have as much accessability to the WWoS as they do eveywhere else. All of the games are scheduled during the day, but you generally only have 3 (25min) games a day. Which does leave a lot of time open. At the same time im spending good money to go to this tournament with my team (as does everyone else to goes to WDW), and we had to qualify through two other tournaments to get here, so if i get elimated the second day, im not going to pack up and leave, im going to enjoy the rest of my vacation. Again, i know its different because we are older, and the team sizes are considerable smaller then most of the events held in Disney.

I totally agree that there are some parents who need to watch their children better, and believe me i've seen my share of kids running around unsupervised. I don't want to start a war i just wanted to give some insight as to how these tournaments work.

I totally agree with you. As long as the kids are well behaved and what not, just because they lost the tournament doesn't mean they should get kicked out. That's a bit extreme. I think the teams do this at WDW because they want to have fun there too, it is a little more than just another game. It is at Walt Disney World, so they should get to enjoy that. As long as they don't start brawling and sending people to the hospital, then I think it is absolutely fair that everyone on the team be made to leave immediately.

IheartWDW

I agree that there needs to be a level of respect for the people around you when you are there. Everyone who goes to WDW for a fun vacation, that should be the goal while you there no matter what the reason for your trip is.

wannabeBelle

OK Let's for a second take out the whole Pop Warner connection. A group of kids goes to Disney and for no apparent reason a fight breaks out in the hotel. What would happen?? Most likely Disney would evict them without any of the consideration shown to the Pop Warner group. I think Disney did do the right thing and regardless of any group affiliation, if a person or group of people is that disruptive and destructive, they should be thrown out of Disney regardless.
If on the other hand a team gets eliminated in the competitions early, by all means go and enjoy the parks and have a great time!!! You had to be pretty darn good to have made it this far and I think that you should be proud of yourselves!!! Belle

Sherrybaby

true and your point has been discussed in the threads, however the agreement with Pop Warner and their associates (there is a copy of PWs own statement about behavior and results) is that if you sign in with a team, you are responsible as a team for the team's behavior. Being that a warning had already been issued, and the size and gravity of the fight, it is unfortunate but I believe Disney did right in enforcing the "all members of the team" must leave. The second fight was already retaliation, and there was no reasonable way for them to decide who would or wouldn't participate again. Given that one boy was hospitalized, I have to agree that everyone on the team needed to leave immediately.

Sorry, I don't agree. MY son is not responsible for the entire team's behavior (your words not mine) if he is asleep in a bed OR even if he was in the game room with the rest of them--do you think he should step into a rumble between 100 kids and try to stop it and get killed "for the sake of the team"?

This whole "teamwork" ideal has gotten out of hand. This is especially true at work and school. Just because a person who has less of an interest in school does a poor job on their part of the "team" project does not mean that I should have to #1 redo their part or #2 take a lower grade for it. The same goes for work--if an entire team (except for me) does something against company rules then I should be fired too?

Team work is great in THEORY and there are tons of books about it but in practice in the real world there are serious problems with it. Trust me, I know, I just graduated from a college that requires teamwork as a part of every class. I can't tell you how much work I had to do myself and redo for the "team" so I could accomplish my 4.0. My counselor told me in the 7 years she has been graduating people she had never graduated anyone with a 4.0. That speaks volumes about team work.

Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but I may be a part of many groups and teams, however, that does not mean that I am responsible for what they do when I am not anywhere near them and/or not involved in certain situations.

Sherry

calismic

Sorry, I don't agree. MY son is not responsible for the entire team's behavior

He is when you sign an agreement prior to the trip. If you don't want your son to be held responsible for the Team's actions then don't signup for Pop Warner. You don't get to participate in a Team Sporting Event then whine because you're part of the team.

joanna71985

I get what you are saying Sherrybaby. But unfortunately everyone who is involved with a Pop Warner team signs a contract that states if something like this happens the whole team has to leave, even if a couple of kids are not involved.

echoscot

Sorry, I don't agree. MY son is not responsible for the entire team's behavior (your words not mine) if he is asleep in a bed OR even if he was in the game room with the rest of them--do you think he should step into a rumble between 100 kids and try to stop it and get killed "for the sake of the team"?

This whole "teamwork" ideal has gotten out of hand. This is especially true at work and school. Just because a person who has less of an interest in school does a poor job on their part of the "team" project does not mean that I should have to #1 redo their part or #2 take a lower grade for it. The same goes for work--if an entire team (except for me) does something against company rules then I should be fired too?

Team work is great in THEORY and there are tons of books about it but in practice in the real world there are serious problems with it. Trust me, I know, I just graduated from a college that requires teamwork as a part of every class. I can't tell you how much work I had to do myself and redo for the "team" so I could accomplish my 4.0. My counselor told me in the 7 years she has been graduating people she had never graduated anyone with a 4.0. That speaks volumes about team work.

Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but I may be a part of many groups and teams, however, that does not mean that I am responsible for what they do when I am not anywhere near them and/or not involved in certain situations.

Sherry

Sorry those are not "my words" either, they are Disney's and Pop Warner's and part of the AGREEMENT that was signed and agreed to by ALL PARTIES.
It is also a common term among sports, if you don't buy into it then you shouldn't be involved in team sports. After two fights and a warning, no one should have had to try to figure out who was there and who wasn't. Too much story changing had gone on to figure out what had happened.

I'm sorry you don't buy into "teamwork" concept, but I have used it and been abused by it for years both at school and at work. And I have found that when it is the case of one or two members of a team, I can bring pressure to bear to bring them in line. If it doesn't happen, then I know that I take the fall with them and my anger is towards them not the ones enforcing the rules. I also know that when one or two are out of hand, I am working with the ones in charge to avoid a further problem, and Disney in particular recognizes that.

In this particular case, there were more than 100 kids and adults in an all out brawl, not once but twice and after a warning by both Disney security and the Sheriff, not even remotely related to the examples of losing a 4.0 GPA at school, and yes, everyone on the team is responsible. Disney already gave them a chance, it is unfortunate, but fair for all involved. The ones who weren't involved need to be pressing charges against the ones who were and filing complaints against them with the Pop Warner commission. That is how teamwork applies. In this situation, you aren't going to find much sympathy for that point of view.

IheartWDW

Sorry those are not "my words" either, they are Disney's and Pop Warner's and part of the AGREEMENT that was signed and agreed to by ALL PARTIES.
It is also a common term among sports, if you don't buy into it then you shouldn't be involved in team sports. After two fights and a warning, no one should have had to try to figure out who was there and who wasn't. Too much story changing had gone on to figure out what had happened.

I'm sorry you don't buy into "teamwork" concept, but I have used it and been abused by it for years both at school and at work. And I have found that when it is the case of one or two members of a team, I can bring pressure to bear to bring them in line. If it doesn't happen, then I know that I take the fall with them and my anger is towards them not the ones enforcing the rules. I also know that when one or two are out of hand, I am working with the ones in charge to avoid a further problem, and Disney in particular recognizes that.

In this particular case, there were more than 100 kids and adults in an all out brawl, not once but twice and after a warning by both Disney security and the Sheriff, not even remotely related to the examples of losing a 4.0 GPA at school, and yes, everyone on the team is responsible. Disney already gave them a chance, it is unfortunate, but fair for all involved. The ones who weren't involved need to be pressing charges against the ones who were and filing complaints against them with the Pop Warner commission. That is how teamwork applies. In this situation, you aren't going to find much sympathy for that point of view.

This is one of those situations where beaing a part of a team is diffucult. For years, and still actively on the team i am on, we always push the idea os a team on the whole level. For instance, when the team looses a game, the team looses the blame isn't placed on one individual. The same goes for when we win. The indiviudals who score are not held in any higher regard to those who didn't. In school, it was the same thing and unfortunately in my year we had a couple of girls who would mess around during practices and the whole team would pay for it. Eventhough no one can control another persons actions, its understood as a group the individual behavior affects the whole group. And those who don't understand it or ruin it for the whole team are removed. I know its not as cut and dry as it sounds, but things are handled in the "teams" best interest.
The part that hurts is this situation, where some of them got into this fight, and others were behaved. And at the same time, this is standard for any tournament, at least that i know of. Again i am only speaking on my knowlegde of soccer tournaments. Any tournament Ive ever registered in there is always something that come out about excessivly bad behavior will reslut in the teams removal from the tournament. I don't have my wavier we signed for soccer available but i will check. I would imagine that there is a clause in there stating the above.

To me thats what a team is all about. A group of individuals acting and viewed as a whole. When one acts out, the whole group is punished. Your taught to respect your teammates, show sportsmanship both on and off the field. Thats how i have been trained for over 20 yrs. (I've been playing since i was 5).

But I have to ask because im very curious, what does the coach say about his/her team?

echoscot

There is no doubt that this brings in money so that has a huge effect on the continuance of the association. Just wish there was a better way to enforce the rules, that's all.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is no doubt that this brings in money so that has a huge effect on the continuance of the association. Just wish there was a better way to enforce the rules, that's all.
Would making the kids wear those dog shock collars and giving every member of security a remote control to activate them work?:lol:

wannabeBelle

I dont think the problem is with Pop Warner as a whole, but individuals who must be dealt with. Once the teams are removed from the grounds, they should conduct their own investigations and suspend the individuals responsible. This may not be as easy as it sounds, but if the teams want to return they MUST do something. The purpose of these leagues is to teach teamwork and good sportsmanship. If you arent interested in operating as part of a team, then this form of sports isnt a good match for you. Remember there is no "I" in TEAM. Belle

sparky03

I agree with most everyone else. If you want all the benefits of travelling to Disneyworld but don't want to be held responsible for what other people might do while you're there then ... don't travel with a team. It's that simple. Take your family another time if you don't want to risk getting thrown out of the park for the possible bad behavior of others.

KeeKee

There is another option. The little urchins could always just behave themselves, compete in their various games, enjoy the parks, and have a good time. There is that possibility, no? Maybe I'm dreaming...

echoscot

There is another option. The little urchins could always just behave themselves, compete in their various games, enjoy the parks, and have a good time. There is that possibility, no? Maybe I'm dreaming...

"There's no place like home...There's no place like home..." LOL:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

PintoColvig

This option will be chosen more in the future now that Disney has taken such a firm stance with these hoodlums. The potential for problems with these Pop Warner teams has apparently been escalating, hence the warning memo from the PW executive director. Now that a hardline enforcement of the rules has taken place, future participants--having heard of what happened this year--will be less likely to cause a problem...at least for a few years anyway.

PoohsGang

Sherry

Bottom line, contract you sign states you act up solo or as a team the whole team suffers either way, I don't think it can be any clearer, if you are afraid the rules may get broken you should think before you go, regardless the rules were set up in advance, there was plenty of time to read the rules. If someones son was in bed or not involved good for him, he must be somewhat respectful, but he must be punished as the rules wer outlined fair or not. Disney did the right thing according to there rules, as they have the right to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom