Follow Up-Kids Thrown Out of Disneyworld

Rabflmom

yes the chaperones need to be the people ultimately responsible but the tournament is for 12-14 year olds, shouldnt they be trusted to not start a riot without being sat on by an adult 24 hours a day?
>>>>>>>

Actually when a parent allows their child to go with a group anywhere the chaperones are on duty 24/7. That is why we planned the HS band trips carefully. We made sure that the rooms had an indoor hall and that the rooms were on the same floors. Then the chaperones had 2-4 hour shifts during the night where they sat in the halls making sure the kids stayed in, safe, and out of trouble after our curfew. Did we trust the kids in the band-yes. Did we trust everyone else in the hotels-no. We were there to make sure no harm came to our children while on the road performing.

PoohsGang

From what happened at Disney its the equivilent of sending your child alone (I mean the lack of chaperoning) Now I ask would you send you Pop Warner aged child to Disney lone? Seems as though at least three teams worth of Pop Warner kids were there alone, unsupervised.

calismic

Wow, things have certainly changed since I was a Pop Warner Cheerleader...uhm...15 yrs ago...uhm. I remember that at curfew time, tape was applied to our doors... that way if you tried to get out, it would rip and in the morning the chaperones would know.

Omg I remember this! When I was down in Disney for UCA (Oh god 11 years ago) we would break out of the rooms and rip everyones tape off, that way they couldn't prove who left and who didn't. I was such a rebelious teen. =P On a side note though, our coaches were really really strict about us being there for cheerleading and not for fun. We were not permitted in the parks except for competition time. If after the competition our parents decided to allow us to stay, only then could we visit.

palmage

>>>>>>>

Actually when a parent allows their child to go with a group anywhere the chaperones are on duty 24/7. That is why we planned the HS band trips carefully. We made sure that the rooms had an indoor hall and that the rooms were on the same floors. Then the chaperones had 2-4 hour shifts during the night where they sat in the halls making sure the kids stayed in, safe, and out of trouble after our curfew. Did we trust the kids in the band-yes. Did we trust everyone else in the hotels-no. We were there to make sure no harm came to our children while on the road performing.

Don't compare a marching band with these "high strung baby jocks"
I was in both (hockey and band) in high school.
There's no comparing thes two groups, of course the band will be behaved
The testestorone levels for a clarinet player are fairly low.
Now drummers are a different story..........

macsmom

I haven't read all of the posts - made it through page 5 - but it seems like a good idea at this time to finish building POP and to book things like Pop Warner over on the "other side". Kind of keep them all together and away from other guests. Sounds like a plan, but I am sure there are a lot of reasons not to do so. And, I do realize they could cross over the bridge to the other buildings. Just a thought though.

danna

minnie61650

I haven't read all of the posts - made it through page 5 - but it seems like a good idea at this time to finish building POP and to book things like Pop Warner over on the "other side". Kind of keep them all together and away from other guests. Sounds like a plan, but I am sure there are a lot of reasons not to do so. And, I do realize they could cross over the bridge to the other buildings. Just a thought though.

danna

The bridge is not finished and guests cannot walk from side to other right now. If they kept the two sides apart it might just work. I think that is a good idea.

Please Disney finish the Legendary Years section of Pop and reserve the rooms for groups ie; tour groups, dance groups, cheerleading groups, band groups, and Pop Warner groups among others.

Are you listening Disney?:wave:

PoohsGang

The bridge is not finished and guests cannot walk from side to other right now. If they kept the two sides apart it might just work. I think that is a good idea.

Please Disney finish the Legendary Years section of Pop and reserve the rooms for groups ie; tour groups, dance groups, cheerleading groups, band groups, and Pop Warner groups among others.

Are you listening Disney?:wave:

You forgot surround it with razor wire and an electric fence so they can't get out:ROFLOL:

JML42691

I am both a hockey player and a clarinetist, where does that place me:lookaroun :lol:

danna
That is a great idea. They could even set it up so the could have their own busses so guests only have to interact with them in the park. This would also make a few more rooms for the times when there are not any "events" going on and it is a peak season. They could even design the buildings so it is easier for the chaperones to police them at night, like wings or something with the chaperone's rooms near the main exit of the wing and people need to swipe a card or something to enter the wing and if the door was opened "cardless" then something could beep/alarm in a chaperone's room. But I believe that Disney is going to see how the family suites in the All Stars work out first.

goofyfan13

Hey, watch it now, I was in my High Schools Drumline...:lookaroun

And sadly, I have to agree with you. :lol:

Back on topic though. I too understand where Sherry is coming from, but when it comes to contracts, it really is black and white, as much as some people don't want to look at that. By registering your kid to an event like this, you are given a contract, if you sign them up, you agree to said contract. The contract for Pop Warner outlined the consequences for an event like this, so all party members knew before going what the rules where (although I bet a good majority of them didn't actually read the contract).

If you don't agree with the rules in the contract, don't go, or try and negotiate before you sign it. Contracts can't be negotiated after they are violated, plain and simple. Disney was right here. As I said earlier, in life, some things really are black and white, and this is an example. Disney gave the teams a second chance, and they decided to start another riot. When you have that many people involved, you have to look at the other guests safety, throwing these teams out was the right thing to do.

dvcnut39

One of our fondest WDW memories was being at MK and EPCOT for Walt's 100th birthday (5DEC01- every year we get a cake and have a little party for The Great One). However, we went back in DEC02 and because of Pop Warner, we decided to move our December trips to the 2nd week just to avoid everything that has been written about in this thread.

hrcollectibles

I cannot understand why Disney cannot make a resort near the wide world of sport complex just for these touraments/ cheerleader/ Pop Warner/ etc for these kids and leave the Value resort just for us regular customers. These tourament seem to be ongoing all year long with another beginning soon in January/ Feburary (Dance/cheerleaders). During the day they should be studing their game plans and routines and then having their evening hours visitng the disney parks. And once they been enlimated from the tourament then they should be sent home right away.

I think they should make them stay in the Unfinished Pop Century buildings. :ROFLOL:
Or better yet thats where they should have sent everyone they kicked out

wolf lightnin

we decided to move our December trips to the 2nd week just to avoid everything that has been written about in this thread.

we just got back from being there the first week of this month (during Pop Warner) and we certainly won't be going back during the first week of December again. It was far more crowded than we expected and since it was off-peak season, and b/c of MVMCP, the parks closed earlier. It's not much fun sitting in your room with nothing to do at 8pm (drinking at WDW is too expensive and is usually only reserved for one night or maybe two).

I don't mind the early closing times if it isn't too crowded, but being crowded and having an early closing time stinks.

That, and being around 5 bazillion mini-jocks and 15 yr old prima donna cheerleaders should be reserved for the 7th level of hell. :fork:

hrcollectibles

Well, not necessarily obnoxious, but those are the traditional "Gay Days" at Disney... so just make your plans accordingly. They are usually not violent or loud like the Pop Warner teams are.

And if you don't wish to be confused, don't pack red shirts.

Sorry to go off topic.. But my Freshman Year of High School (1993) We went to Disney for a behind the scenes tour and to go to the Magic kingdom. My mom thought it would be cool for me to wear my school shirt (I apcked it but left it in my bag) Our Chaparones (sp) all wore our school colors which were Red and Black.. Well Low and Behold we went during Gay Days .. My friends and I were wondering why there was soo much support for our high school:ROFLOL:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
we just got back from being there the first week of this month (during Pop Warner) and we certainly won't be going back during the first week of December again. It was far more crowded than we expected and since it was off-peak season, and b/c of MVMCP, the parks closed earlier. It's not much fun sitting in your room with nothing to do at 8pm (drinking at WDW is too expensive and is usually only reserved for one night or maybe two).

I don't mind the early closing times if it isn't too crowded, but being crowded and having an early closing time stinks.

That, and being around 5 bazillion mini-jocks and 15 yr old prima donna cheerleaders should be reserved for the 7th level of hell. :fork:

I had a similar night once at WDW, where I was thinking...parks are closed, not enough to do. Then I thought about all the things there are to do at night.

Epcot is always open until 9 and you can hang after.
The marketplace shops are open until midnight or so, as is the West Side.
Looking at the hotels can be done any time. Nightscopes for viewing the AKL savannah are pretty cool.
The Electrical Water Pageant runs every night (weather permitting)
Talk a walk around the lake at DTD, or the Carribean Beach.
Jellyrolls, ESPN, are good places to hang out.
DisneyQuest is usually open late.
See a movie at the AMC 24.
Miniature golf is open until 10 or 11.
And every resort, just about, has a pleasant place to sit and people watch.

So now when I get a night where the parks have closed early or I'm not in the parks that day, I find something else to do that I might not otherwise have done!

wolf lightnin

I had a similar night once at WDW, where I was thinking...parks are closed, not enough to do. Then I thought about all the things there are to do at night.

Epcot is always open until 9 and you can hang after.
The marketplace shops are open until midnight or so, as is the West Side.
Looking at the hotels can be done any time. Nightscopes for viewing the AKL savannah are pretty cool.
The Electrical Water Pageant runs every night (weather permitting)
Talk a walk around the lake at DTD, or the Carribean Beach.
Jellyrolls, ESPN, are good places to hang out.
DisneyQuest is usually open late.
See a movie at the AMC 24.
Miniature golf is open until 10 or 11.
And every resort, just about, has a pleasant place to sit and people watch.

So now when I get a night where the parks have closed early or I'm not in the parks that day, I find something else to do that I might not otherwise have done!

this past time we stayed at the Boardwalk and spent a night in Jellyrolls. I really enjoyed myself and we met a fun couple from New England. I liked it because it didn't feel like we were at Disney (except for the extravagant drink prices, on top of the $10 cover charge), but then when we were swept out at 2am we were back right in the middle of WDW (and just a few minutes stumble back to the room! woohoo!). Jellyrolls is awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone who can stomach the prices.

I know there's tons of stuff to do at Disney after dark. I guess I was just mainly moaning about how much of a pain it was to have early closing times and be crowded.

jajt6106

Both of our children are athletes (basketball) and we travel to tournaments all over and they play with their school teams as well. While Sherry has her own position on teams this is how our family feels about it...

Our kids have always been taught that "team" is really a singular noun. There is nothing plural about it. A team is viewed as one and that's how it operates. You win as a team, you lose as a team, you behave or get into trouble as a team. The actions of a few sometimes affect the many and that's why we've taught our kids to be leaders in their teams. By a leader they know how important peer pressure is and they've been taught that every team needs a peer leader to help the team as a whole make the right decisions.

This is not to say that we have two bosses. They simply lead by example because they know that when they are part of a team, someone else could do something stupid (such as this case) and affect them. Every decision our kids make is made knowing that they will affect their teammates...right down to something like grades. If they aren't eligible to play because of grades, the entire team suffers the loss of a player they need, etc.

We have also coached and chaperoned about a million trips from athletics to field trips and we take it seriously. We even typically get the "problem kids" whose parents are never involved because we don't play around and they will "tow the line" when they are in our group.

To believe the team mentality when it works in your favor and then change your mind when the true meaning of team is tested is not doing yourself, your child, or the team any favors. Saying your child is part of the team but shouldn't be punished with the team causes a rift in the team which will affect game play, attitudes, etc.

Just my thoughts on things. Moving on now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom