Follow Up-Kids Thrown Out of Disneyworld

echoscot

Both of our children are athletes (basketball) and we travel to tournaments all over and they play with their school teams as well. While Sherry has her own position on teams this is how our family feels about it...

Our kids have always been taught that "team" is really a singular noun. There is nothing plural about it. A team is viewed as one and that's how it operates. You win as a team, you lose as a team, you behave or get into trouble as a team. The actions of a few sometimes affect the many and that's why we've taught our kids to be leaders in their teams. By a leader they know how important peer pressure is and they've been taught that every team needs a peer leader to help the team as a whole make the right decisions.

This is not to say that we have two bosses. They simply lead by example because they know that when they are part of a team, someone else could do something stupid (such as this case) and affect them. Every decision our kids make is made knowing that they will affect their teammates...right down to something like grades. If they aren't eligible to play because of grades, the entire team suffers the loss of a player they need, etc.

We have also coached and chaperoned about a million trips from athletics to field trips and we take it seriously. We even typically get the "problem kids" whose parents are never involved because we don't play around and they will "tow the line" when they are in our group.

To believe the team mentality when it works in your favor and then change your mind when the true meaning of team is tested is not doing yourself, your child, or the team any favors. Saying your child is part of the team but shouldn't be punished with the team causes a rift in the team which will affect game play, attitudes, etc.

Just my thoughts on things. Moving on now.

Very nice. One thing I would like to add from my own experience being on teams. I was not very athletice yet I was on sports teams. I was on academic and extra curricular teams (math team, choir and band). In my many years working, I have been on teams to develop procedures and projects, the most important thing that I have learned from being on a team is that you learn to stop thinking about yourself, and think about how your actions will affect others.

It is not "will I keep my 4.0", but how can I help our team get the best score. It isn't "will I get in trouble" but "did I bring the team down and disappoint them". It isn't easy to be on a team, because you have to think about others and how your part fits in with them, but when it works it is a good thing.

wannabeBelle

Both of our children are athletes (basketball) and we travel to tournaments all over and they play with their school teams as well. While Sherry has her own position on teams this is how our family feels about it...

Our kids have always been taught that "team" is really a singular noun. There is nothing plural about it. A team is viewed as one and that's how it operates. You win as a team, you lose as a team, you behave or get into trouble as a team. The actions of a few sometimes affect the many and that's why we've taught our kids to be leaders in their teams. By a leader they know how important peer pressure is and they've been taught that every team needs a peer leader to help the team as a whole make the right decisions.

This is not to say that we have two bosses. They simply lead by example because they know that when they are part of a team, someone else could do something stupid (such as this case) and affect them. Every decision our kids make is made knowing that they will affect their teammates...right down to something like grades. If they aren't eligible to play because of grades, the entire team suffers the loss of a player they need, etc.

We have also coached and chaperoned about a million trips from athletics to field trips and we take it seriously. We even typically get the "problem kids" whose parents are never involved because we don't play around and they will "tow the line" when they are in our group.

To believe the team mentality when it works in your favor and then change your mind when the true meaning of team is tested is not doing yourself, your child, or the team any favors. Saying your child is part of the team but shouldn't be punished with the team causes a rift in the team which will affect game play, attitudes, etc.

Just my thoughts on things. Moving on now.

Well said!!! Have a great day!! Belle

bugsbunny

After spending many a year at All Stars or Pop Century in early December, the combination of thier usual crowdiness and Pop Warner Week has led me make an "executive decision" for my family.

I literally just said to my wife during our recent stay at Pop that I'm done with this hotel. I like it, but its just too many people in too little a space, and they all have to use one place to eat and one bus stop. Just looking at the math of it: there is like 2800 rooms Pop but 800 at the Wilderness Lodge. And since we almost always go every year in early December with the Pop Warner circus, I just can't stay here every again.

And then I read the Pop Warner story and that settled it for her, too. Booking for next December for 10 days at the Wilderness Lodge. Sure, its twice as expensive, but at least I will only have to deal with snobby over priviliged kids running around rather than packs of unsuperivised tweens.

So I guess the moral of the story is that if you have a riotous bad situtation at your value resort, your guests will spend more money and are apt to move to a higher level resort. :ROFLOL:

songbird

thansk for the full story. I had images of people, small children in tow, riding around Orlando in the middle fo the night trying to find hotel rooms.

my older daughter is a senior on the high school cheerleading team and my younger daughter is sophomore on the high school dance team. both teams compete.

the cheerleaders go to florida every winter to compete. they've been to seaworld, universal Studios and WDW, and in March they'll be at WDW.

the dance team goes to WDW every March and to Myrtle Beach every April.

the girls are reminded that if they screw up, not only do they blow it for the whole team, but they also will ruin it for the girls who will be ont he team the following year and who won't be going out of state to compete. it's never been a problem.

the worst behavior I ever saw at one of these competitions was after the dance competition last year, one of the teams from Long Island...they won 1st place in pom, and came back from the awards ceremony after 10 PM...they were staying at All Stars Music ...they were so excited fromt heir win, they were screaming and giggling on the lawn, and earned the ire of parents with small children who'd been sleeping ...and they got quiet as soon as someone complained.

pretty much every weekend from mid february to mid march ithere is a comeptition for cheerleaders, dancers or baton twirlers, it can get a little crazy, but not like Pop Warner...

echoscot

thansk for the full story. I had images of people, small children in tow, riding around Orlando in the middle fo the night trying to find hotel rooms.

my older daughter is a senior on the high school cheerleading team and my younger daughter is sophomore on the high school dance team. both teams compete.

the cheerleaders go to florida every winter to compete. they've been to seaworld, universal Studios and WDW, and in March they'll be at WDW.

the dance team goes to WDW every March and to Myrtle Beach every April.

the girls are reminded that if they screw up, not only do they blow it for the whole team, but they also will ruin it for the girls who will be ont he team the following year and who won't be going out of state to compete. it's never been a problem.

the worst behavior I ever saw at one of these competitions was after the dance competition last year, one of the teams from Long Island...they won 1st place in pom, and came back from the awards ceremony after 10 PM...they were staying at All Stars Music ...they were so excited fromt heir win, they were screaming and giggling on the lawn, and earned the ire of parents with small children who'd been sleeping ...and they got quiet as soon as someone complained.

pretty much every weekend from mid february to mid march ithere is a comeptition for cheerleaders, dancers or baton twirlers, it can get a little crazy, but not like Pop Warner...

Thank you for sharing that.

I used to work at the Indiana Jones stage where some of the competitions were held.

The folks from the cheerleading competitions have always been a bit better behaved than the Pop Warner kids, not making that up. Just the truth from my own personal experience.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Really?? I have been away for the past two years, back then at least, they were restricted to just those hotels because Disney was already giving them a reduced group rate there.

Maybe some of them are going to the pools and arcades at the moderates...ughhhhh

There were a number of both football teams and cheerleaders at PORR when I was there the weekend of the 1st.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Don't compare a marching band with these "high strung baby jocks"
I was in both (hockey and band) in high school.
There's no comparing thes two groups, of course the band will be behaved
The testestorone levels for a clarinet player are fairly low.
Now drummers are a different story..........

....hey, I play clarinet....:lookaroun

palmage

quote]

Gawd, those little Cheerthings are the wost of them all!!!!:fork:

just my opinion.............

songbird

too funny...

the truth of the matter is, WDW has competitions for athletes, musicians, etc. pretty much all dring the school year...last year, when I was at WDW with the cheerleaders
pompomgirl.gif
party0002.gif
. the vocal jazz group from our high school was in WDW for a choral competition. and when we went to the Magic Kingdom, we saw a high school marching band...they came down Main Street just before the formal Disney parade. most of the young people who come to WDW to compete are well behaved. it's the ones who aren't who grab the headlines and ruin it fo rthe rest of us.

TheKeeler7

Sorry, I don't agree. MY son is not responsible for the entire team's behavior (your words not mine) if he is asleep in a bed OR even if he was in the game room with the rest of them--do you think he should step into a rumble between 100 kids and try to stop it and get killed "for the sake of the team"?

This whole "teamwork" ideal has gotten out of hand. This is especially true at work and school. Just because a person who has less of an interest in school does a poor job on their part of the "team" project does not mean that I should have to #1 redo their part or #2 take a lower grade for it. The same goes for work--if an entire team (except for me) does something against company rules then I should be fired too?

Team work is great in THEORY and there are tons of books about it but in practice in the real world there are serious problems with it. Trust me, I know, I just graduated from a college that requires teamwork as a part of every class. I can't tell you how much work I had to do myself and redo for the "team" so I could accomplish my 4.0. My counselor told me in the 7 years she has been graduating people she had never graduated anyone with a 4.0. That speaks volumes about team work.

Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but I may be a part of many groups and teams, however, that does not mean that I am responsible for what they do when I am not anywhere near them and/or not involved in certain situations.

Sherry

Every where in life is a team concept. Companies are judged by overall performance not just individually. If you buy a product thats defective and get no help from customer service , you usually will not deal with a company again, Why because a few people on the team. It's managements or in this case the coaches and parents job to choose the right players for the team. And when needed provide leadership and guidance. Your attitude seems to convey great effort and skill , but no ability to lead and guide. Like I tell my kids all the time, if your friends are losers, then your a loser. If you don't want your child judged by the team he's on , don't let him on it , or take measures to lead and mentor the weak links. We should be teaching our kids to be leaders not to run in to a bunker and hide from the others.

Tiggerfanatic

When I read the OP, this is the scenario that popped into my head:

"Hello, Holiday Inn? This is Delores from Disney's Pop Resort. Look, I know it's 1AM, but we just had to kick out 100 of our guests for fighting in the halls. Do you think we could send them all over to you? We can? Terrific!! Just look for 50 taxis to start arriving in the next half hour or so. Thank you so much and have a Magical Day!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom