First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo14

Saw this in the pictures from the 80's thread. Check out the cups....

38096_420352449236_501609236_4435685_4874920_n.jpg

John

Absolutely agree!

I know that you like to think that it is different now then it used to be, but I feel relatively confident that the only difference was/is our ability to notice it. That is caused by our early visits being overwhelming visual stimulation's and excitement that really didn't allow us to have the time to look to see how many lights were out. Couple that with the normal human ability to remember only what we want too and you have a situation where Disney is firmly located in a parallel universe where light bulbs never burn out, Coke cups didn't exist, and mechanical equipment never fails.

I totally agree with you in theory, but with all do respect there is plenty evidence that there has been a slip in quality not to mention guest experience. You are useing the lightbulb analogy as a basis of your point. With only useing that analogy I would agree with you. But my mother is a fifteen year veteran cm and has first hand knowledge of the changes. Once again you are looking at the issue literally and my point is bigger in general terms.
Even the most ardent fanboi couldnt deny the fact there has been some degree of decline.

Alektronic

All I'm asking is for WDW to continue the same standards of excellence they maintained for decades. I don't understand those who think it's OK for a company to charge more for a declining product.

On a separate thread, I graded the current version of WDW a B+ overall. If someone asked me 15 years ago (when I was a mature adult just so you don't think I'm looking at it through the eyes of a child) I would have graded WDW an A+. Yes, I was a fanboi who thought WDW could do no wrong.

It's like a student scoring 100s on all tests in grade school who suddenly scores 88s in high school. For Universal, a grade of 88 is pretty good. For WDW, a grade of 88 is (at least should be) embarrassing. I'm not sure how old some of the people on these threads are but there was a time in the 1970s to 1990s when Disney was considered the Gold Standard for commitment to quality, innovation, and customer service. A grade of 88 would be perfectly fine for most tourist destinations but it's not good enough for WDW. WDW has done much better.

If anyone cares, I blame TDO and all their maintenance and staff budget cuts for the current state of affairs.

That's part of the problem, they lowered their standards. The SQS (Show Quality Standards) dept has been gutted, there is only a few people left. They still do show reviews and reports but it doesn't carry any weight anymore. I have seen Show Directors shut down attractions before because the show quality was so bad, but that wouldn't happen anymore.

Hourly rider counts and ride safety is the only things that count now, everything else takes a backseat. I had a manager that thought a "B" or "C" was good enough for show quality as long as they could save money on the budget even though some WDI show programmers argued with him about keeping up show quality. And where are they now? The WDI Show Programmer is still working hard to maintain show quality and programming new shows but still basically in the same position. The manager who was trying to save money and cut budgets and forget about Show Quality, well he is now a Senior Vice President and making a lot more money and making more cuts.

captainkidd

Apparently not.

Not trying to lay blame here (or veer OT), but as a long time poster, here's what I think keeps happening: If you notice, the arguments about this specific issue always seem to come from people with either very low post counts or new members. Obviously, they have just as much right to their opinion as anyone else. However, those people tend to be not as fanatical about the small touches that make WDW the special place it is. So they see a thread where people are complaining about the napkins being used. On the surface, yeah, it seems like a silly thing. But for those of us that are fanatics and love Disney's attention to details, it's a sore spot. So, a comment is made not at anyone specific but just in general, that it's "stupid to complain about napkins or cups." Naturally, the members who are regulars here and have participated in the discussion and are those fanatics (such as myself), take offense to those remarks. And I think, even more so because it's obvious the member making the comments hasn't read the entire thread or they would have seen that those comments they are making have already been made by others. I'm not saying in order to participate in a thread you should have to read every single post, but if you're going to get involved, you should at least know what you're talking about or be prepared to get replies that seem less than friendly.

Just my opinion.:)

Goofyernmost

I totally agree with you in theory, but with all do respect there is plenty evidence that there has been a slip in quality not to mention guest experience. You are useing the lightbulb analogy as a basis of your point. With only useing that analogy I would agree with you. But my mother is a fifteen year veteran cm and has first hand knowledge of the changes. Once again you are looking at the issue literally and my point is bigger in general terms.
Even the most ardent fanboi couldnt deny the fact there has been some degree of decline.

I don't disagree that there is a lot more noticeable problems then back in the old days, but a few considerations must be looked at. First, WDW has grown to a degree that the reaction time to "take care of things is slower". Some things you can't just throw money at and have it go away. The bigger it is the harder it is to manage people and assets. Second, the respect that was once automatic from guests is now rampantly in the corner of "I will do what I want, when I want and where I want" regardless of how that drains on the resources of the parks. Third, what 25 years ago was only 15 years old is now 40 years old. The heat and humidity of Central Florida takes a heavy toll, making it difficult to keep up with. There are others, but, there is no sense of including everything. I know they sound like excuses, but I look at them more as realities to take in consideration when making judgments. I am only speaking of the parks. The resorts are managed completely separate from the parks and really cannot be looked at in the same picture.

Another problem is human related and that has to do with the general attitude of the staff (Cast) and the attitude of the customer (Guest). The overall attitude of just about everyone has changed over the years. What used to be considered an opportunity is now considered a burden to be bitched about as much as possible. Cast members that look at their job as just a job and feel that around minimum wage is not enough and if they want more from me, they can pay me more, transfers to the guests in leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, things like light bulbs, mechanical rides and other things that break are fixable but attitudes are much more ingrained. You cannot fix a problem with a CM until the damage is already done.

That is why I tend to "overlook" the little things like light bulbs, napkins and cups, because they are such a small part of the experience and at best are meant to be subliminal in their influence. How do you control the emotions of 50,000 employees in real time? How do you make thousands of guests act in a civilized, semi-cultured manner? In my mind...that is where the "Magic" comes from, not an ink imprint on a recycled piece of paper. So in the sense of "attitude" yes there has been a noticeable decline in both the CM's and the Guests.

John

I don't disagree that there is a lot more noticeable problems then back in the old days, but a few considerations must be looked at. First, WDW has grown to a degree that the reaction time to "take care of things is slower". Some things you can't just throw money at and have it go away. The bigger it is the harder it is to manage people and assets. Second, the respect that was once automatic from guests is now rampantly in the corner of "I will do what I want, when I want and where I want" regardless of how that drains on the resources of the parks. Third, what 25 years ago was only 15 years old is now 40 years old. The heat and humidity of Central Florida takes a heavy toll, making it difficult to keep up with. There are others, but, there is no sense of including everything. I know they sound like excuses, but I look at them more as realities to take in consideration when making judgments. I am only speaking of the parks. The resorts are managed completely separate from the parks and really cannot be looked at in the same picture.

Another problem is human related and that has to do with the general attitude of the staff (Cast) and the attitude of the customer (Guest). The overall attitude of just about everyone has changed over the years. What used to be considered an opportunity is now considered a burden to be bitched about as much as possible. Cast members that look at their job as just a job and feel that around minimum wage is not enough and if they want more from me, they can pay me more, transfers to the guests in leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, things like light bulbs, mechanical rides and other things that break are fixable but attitudes are much more ingrained. You cannot fix a problem with a CM until the damage is already done.

That is why I tend to "overlook" the little things like light bulbs, napkins and cups, because they are such a small part of the experience and at best are meant to be subliminal in their influence. How do you control the emotions of 50,000 employees in real time? How do you make thousands of guests act in a civilized, semi-cultured manner? In my mind...that is where the "Magic" comes from, not an ink imprint on a recycled piece of paper. So in the sense of "attitude" yes there has been a noticeable decline in both the CM's and the Guests.

Once again, I agree. I think it only illustrates that the whole mess is more complex then just a lightbulb or the attitude of the CM's and guest.I am about to say some things will really make some people upset but never became a member here to make freinds.

I agree with the thought that things are much different now then they were 40 years ago, 40 years ago WDW was very very exspensive to visit. Yes it is still quite exspensive but in comparison not as much. My family only visited once before I became a young adult. My family saved for years before we could visit. Only the "well to do" families visited WDW. There was a different clientel....if you will. There were not any discounts....there was no free dining. I am not disparageing todays guest.....heck I am one of them. If it wasnt for my mothers CM discount I would never beable to afford to visit. I also believe Disney has changed their philosphy in their buisness model. Before it was about offering quality and believed that by doing this profits would follow. Now IMO its all about numbers. Maximizeing profits by maximizeing the number of guest. How many guest can we get in the gates...equals large amount of guest spending equals large profits.

Maintence is just one factor that go into guest experience. Me, I dont look for chipped paint or lightbulbs. I also dont really worry about e-ticket attractions. I have always said that one ride on a e-ticket attraction last about 90 seconds. For me I want the immersion. I want the little interactions that make my visit .....well magical. Can someone really say riding RNR is "magical" ? I want the small things that make my visit different from anywhere else on earth. I can go to many places and ride thrill rides. Take for instance COP ( which a lot of people on this forum cant stand) what other park besides a Disney park can you find something like this?....same goes for HOP, AA...what Horizons used to be. To visit WDW is to visit another place and time. It is quickly becoming just another Theme Park. How can it be fixed? I honestly think that toothpaste is all ready out of the tube. People now are screamimg fr more e-tickets.....sadly I think thats exactly what we will get....if anything.

Will I continue to visit WDW? yes I will....just not as much, and it has little to do with there not being anything new. Myself, I couldnt care less. What I am missing is the small things.....the difference...you obviously dont care about the small things like cups,napkins, lightbulbs etc....the albeit small but to me tangable things that make my visit special. We both have different perspectives on what constitutes a pleasurable visit.
Thats ok too.

ParentsOf4

I agree with the thought that things are much different now then they were 40 years ago, 40 years ago WDW was very very exspensive to visit. Yes it is still quite exspensive but in comparison not as much. My family only visited once before I became a young adult. My family saved for years before we could visit.
This is simply untrue (the first 2 sentences).

In 1983 (the year after EPCOT opened), a 3-day park hopper ticket cost $35 (including tax), about $81 adjusted for inflation. In 2012, a similar ticket costs $318.

I respect that your family's financial situation might have been different in the 1970s and 1980s but it was not until 1984 when Michael Eisner took control of Disney and decided that ticket prices were too low that WDW ticket prices started to increase faster than inflation. As poor struggling high school & college students and later as newly minted college grads in entry level jobs, my friends and I had no problem affording WDW vacations in the 1970s and 1980s.

draybook

Not trying to lay blame here (or veer OT), but as a long time poster, here's what I think keeps happening: If you notice, the arguments about this specific issue always seem to come from people with either very low post counts or new members. Obviously, they have just as much right to their opinion as anyone else. However, those people tend to be not as fanatical about the small touches that make WDW the special place it is. So they see a thread where people are complaining about the napkins being used. On the surface, yeah, it seems like a silly thing. But for those of us that are fanatics and love Disney's attention to details, it's a sore spot. So, a comment is made not at anyone specific but just in general, that it's "stupid to complain about napkins or cups." Naturally, the members who are regulars here and have participated in the discussion and are those fanatics (such as myself), take offense to those remarks. And I think, even more so because it's obvious the member making the comments hasn't read the entire thread or they would have seen that those comments they are making have already been made by others. I'm not saying in order to participate in a thread you should have to read every single post, but if you're going to get involved, you should at least know what you're talking about or be prepared to get replies that seem less than friendly.

Just my opinion.:)

While I don't have a low post count and am not new, I see your point. With us it's because we didn't get to experience WDW until 2008. Therefore we have nothing to compare it to. I will admit that we've noticed small "declines" since then though, and it is being noted.

ParentsOf4

Take for instance COP ( which a lot of people on this forum cant stand) what other park besides a Disney park can you find something like this?....same goes for HOP, AA...what Horizons used to be. To visit WDW is to visit another place and time. It is quickly becoming just another Theme Park. How can it be fixed? I honestly think that toothpaste is all ready out of the tube. People now are screamimg fr more e-tickets.....sadly I think thats exactly what we will get....if anything.
Your post is telling. You mention COP (opened in 1975), HOP (1971), AA (1982), and Horizons (1983 closed 1999). You are referencing attractions that are over 30 years old.

An amusement park's life blood is (or should be) attractions. A place like WDW needs to have a good mix of the old (for nostalgia) and new (for innovation) in order to remain relevant, in order to draw new & repeat customers.

Beyond us WDW addicts, a typical family who (for example) vacationed WDW 5 years ago will ask themselves, "Where should we vacation this year? What about WDW? We had a great time there 5 years ago. Oh look, they haven't added anything since. Did you hear about Universal? They've got this entirely new Harry Potter area. Maybe we should give that a try this year?"

WDW needs to give the average vacationer a reason to return rather than being cheap and relying solely on the nostalgia factor of attractions that are 20, 30, and even 40 years old.

The following quote from Walt Disney is telling:
The park means a lot to me. It's something that will never be finished, something I can keep developing, keep 'plussing' and adding to. It's alive. It will be a live, breathing thing that will need changes. When you wrap up a picture and turn it over to Technicolor, you're through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. I just finished up a live-action picture, wrapped it up a few weeks ago. It's gone. I can't touch it. There are things in it I don't like, but I can't do anything about it. I want something live, something that would grow. The park is that. Not only can I add things, but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful year after year. And it will get better as I find out what the public likes. I can't do that with a picture; it's finished and unchangeable before I find out whether the public likes it or not.
Even in the 1950s, Walt understood that an amusement park had to evolve in order to stay relevant.

Goofyernmost

The park means a lot to me. It's something that will never be finished, something I can keep developing, keep 'plussing' and adding to. It's alive. It will be a live, breathing thing that will need changes. When you wrap up a picture and turn it over to Technicolor, you're through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. I just finished up a live-action picture, wrapped it up a few weeks ago. It's gone. I can't touch it. There are things in it I don't like, but I can't do anything about it. I want something live, something that would grow. The park is that. Not only can I add things, but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful year after year. And it will get better as I find out what the public likes. I can't do that with a picture; it's finished and unchangeable before I find out whether the public likes it or not.

Even in the 1950s, Walt understood that an amusement park had to evolve in order to stay relevant.

Yes, that is true and if Walt were still alive I'm sure all those things would be gone now and replaced by something else, but I don't think it would be nothing but thrill rides. He didn't build his parks by catering to only one group. Disney Parks were meant to be entertainment and fun for the entire family. Too many "thrill" rides only works to eliminate a fairly large sector of the park going population and relegates many to just sit on the bench eating peanuts, while the "kids" rode the fun rides.

The uniqueness of Disney was the introduction of dark rides. That is what made them different then the other parks. The upgrading is evident by the replacement of Horizons with Mission Space and World of Motion with Test Track. But to think that when you consider that it cost millions of dollars to build an attraction, how do you determine when you should replace a ride, just to stay fresh.

Attractions like CoP really is still in place as a tribute to the man that gave us all that we enjoy so much. He can no longer be here for us to shake his hand and say thank you. Some of the older rides are there as a form of respect and admiration to a man that made the entire experience possible.

John

Your post is telling. You mention COP (opened in 1975), HOP (1971), AA (1982), and Horizons (1983 closed 1999). You are referencing attractions that are over 30 years old.

An amusement park's life blood is (or should be) attractions. A place like WDW needs to have a good mix of the old (for nostalgia) and new (for innovation) in order to remain relevant, in order to draw new & repeat customers.

Beyond us WDW addicts, a typical family who (for example) vacationed WDW 5 years ago will ask themselves, "Where should we vacation this year? What about WDW? We had a great time there 5 years ago. Oh look, they haven't added anything since. Did you hear about Universal? They've got this entirely new Harry Potter area. Maybe we should give that a try this year?"

WDW needs to give the average vacationer a reason to return rather than being cheap and relying solely on the nostalgia factor of attractions that are 20, 30, and even 40 years old.

I am talking about what I enjoy, dont want to speak for anyone else. The feelings I exspressed were mine....just my point of view. We all have personal preferences and personal likes and dislikes. As far as the numbers you mentioned. Your numbers are correct, but I think the difference I feel is the discrectionary money people had back then and what they had in past years ( minus this latest economic downturn). People Have had much more disposable income ( as if there really is disposable income) in the 90's. Disney has raised prices to what the market would bare. Not at the rate of inflation or any other metric.

You mentioned you went to college?.....scholarship? grant? or did mom and dad pay for it? IF mom and dad payed for it.....you come from a totally different economic background then I. My parents wouldnot even have been able to afford the books for me. By the time I was of college age there were other siblingsand being the oldest I left home at what I would consider a very young age (17) to make my own way thru life. Never went to college. Not complaining though. I own my own home and doing much better then my parents ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom