First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1620

You may not consiously notice these details, but take enough of them away and you will start to notice that something is different.

oh yes deffintly things are changing, everything is changing! good and bad. but i think the last thing people should be worried about is this issue. it has to be temporary

Victor Kelly

I see the issues here.

Those that disagree with the fanboys are targeted as not caring, not reading the whole thread, or accused of being trolls (troll accusations abound in other threads).

Yes I do come here everyday. No I don't always post, and I browsed almost 2 years before joining.

All this shows one thing that is a constant in life, people will disagree on everything. That is what is called opinion.

Let me set the record straight. I have been going to Disney since 1975 every year, sometimes more than 1 trip. I have forgotten more than what some of the devout Disney people will ever know. I am not complacent about what goes on in Disney. I have seen the decline over many years starting in the mid to late 1980s. And the mid 80's I was only 10. I have seen ups and downs, change upon change. Sometimes the changes are not liked and some times they are loved.

See my pic? Well the day after that, we were in Disney for 2 weeks and had the best trip I can ever remember. We didn't care about napkins or light bulbs, because we were there to enjoy ourselves. We will only get to go every 5 years. Does that make us any less important than the people on these or other boards because we don't go to the parks fanatically every week, or month?

Yes go to the parks and enjoys them. But when you start screaming about napkins and cups which always end up in the trash, pause and ask yourself if you are taking things too seriously. I know for a fact Disney people are on this site and others as well, not the public insiders, I am talking management. The people they will listen to are the ones that are level headed, and not buying into heated arguements.
So fine, I expect I will be labeled a troll next. Whooptydo. I at least will be able to visit a park without having a heart attack of a straw wrapper on the ground or the next "crisis" of utter proportions tsat always, and I mean always seems to spell doom and gloom for some people (drama queens) that take being a fan of Disney far far too seriously.

I come for news, real news, and the rumors. And sometimes to answer a question. But I wont be biting on the drama like this thread has caused. If ya wanna bash me do it in PM. "nuff said.

asianway

Multiple DLR bloggers reporting cups are transitioning to the Coke branded cup.

Please continue with the regularly scheduled apathy.

Goofyernmost

I know this has become a hot topic but just to clarify my opinion...I can spend a lot of time focusing on those three light bulbs that are out and completely miss the 10,000 that are glowing brightly. It's all a matter of what one wants to focus on. There is also a good chance that most of us made our first visit at a very young age and it never even crossed out minds to look for flaws. Now we see them and assume that it just wasn't that way before. A good lesson of that comes from a post on a different topic page that showed a picture taken in the 80's clearly showing Coke cups on the tables. So much for...you would never see anything like that before, huh?

puntagordabob

I know this has become a hot topic but just to clarify my opinion...I can spend a lot of time focusing on those three light bulbs that are out and completely miss the 10,000 that are glowing brightly. It's all a matter of what one wants to focus on. There is also a good chance that most of us made our first visit at a very young age and it never even crossed out minds to look for flaws. Now we see them and assume that it just wasn't that way before. A good lesson of that comes from a post on a different topic page that showed a picture taken in the 80's clearly showing Coke cups on the tables. So much for...you would never see anything like that before, huh?

Disney itself hasd setup this anticipation of different cups all the time......

disap20a.jpg
disap14a.jpg

01-coffee-cups1.jpg
1129-15%20YEAR%20LARGE%20PAPER%20CUP.jpg
WDW+ceramic+paper+cups+K%2526J.jpg
DSC_2716.JPG

asianway

America on Parade had an entire line of branded operating supplies in '75-76. But wait bloggers didn't tweet it so it must not have happened..

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know this has become a hot topic but just to clarify my opinion...I can spend a lot of time focusing on those three light bulbs that are out and completely miss the 10,000 that are glowing brightly.

That's called attention to detail. Something that Disney used to be praised for. It's not about your tolerance for error , it's about disney's.

You should like the kid who argues that a d is 'good enough' because you got 65 out of 100.

Or imagine in the next movie you watch.. You see a camera man in the film... But try to argue 'well they were only in one scene... He managed to not ruin all the others'

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That's called attention to detail. Something that Disney used to be praised for. It's not about your tolerance for error , it's about disney's.

You should like the kid who argues that a d is 'good enough' because you got 65 out of 100.

Or imagine in the next movie you watch.. You see a camera man in the film... But try to argue 'well they were only in one scene... He managed to not ruin all the others'

3 out of 10,000 light bulbs out isn't 65% right. It is 99.97% correct. I know that when i got 99.97% on a test, I felt satisfied.

You have good points. Don't spoil them with inappropriate comparisons.

flynnibus

Premium Member
3 out of 10,000 light bulbs out isn't 65% right. It is 99.97% correct. I know that when i got 99.97% on a test, I felt satisfied.

But if you were an engineer - 99% isn't good enough. I wasn't trying to say the situations were the same but rather a person that used the insignificant portion to explain why the significant portion shouldn't be significant.

In some areas the level of perfection expected is not set by your personal preference for detail. Example the movie scene.. Maybe you don't care if you see yourself in a cam corder flick, but that doesn't mean the movie industry would have the same tolerance.

And in this particular case, Disney set the standard themselves. The standard they are failing is living up to their own past performance

RSoxNo1

If those 3 lightbulbs are replaced on over night maintenance than it's not an issue. When things like that are ignore for weeks (as @KevinYee has identified) then it's a problem.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
But if you were an engineer - 99% isn't good enough. I wasn't trying to say the situations were the same but rather a person that used the insignificant portion to explain why the significant portion shouldn't be significant.

In some areas the level of perfection expected is not set by your personal preference for detail. Example the movie scene.. Maybe you don't care if you see yourself in a cam corder flick, but that doesn't mean the movie industry would have the same tolerance.

And in this particular case, Disney set the standard themselves. The standard they are failing is living up to their own past performance

But you used a score that nobody should be satisfied with in comparison to a score that sounds pretty good to a lot of people. 3 of 10,000 is insignificant to many people when it comes to light bulbs. 35 of 100 is pretty significant on a test.

ParentsOf4

All I'm asking is for WDW to continue the same standards of excellence they maintained for decades. I don't understand those who think it's OK for a company to charge more for a declining product.

On a separate thread, I graded the current version of WDW a B+ overall. If someone asked me 15 years ago (when I was a mature adult just so you don't think I'm looking at it through the eyes of a child) I would have graded WDW an A+. Yes, I was a fanboi who thought WDW could do no wrong.

It's like a student scoring 100s on all tests in grade school who suddenly scores 88s in high school. For Universal, a grade of 88 is pretty good. For WDW, a grade of 88 is (at least should be) embarrassing. I'm not sure how old some of the people on these threads are but there was a time in the 1970s to 1990s when Disney was considered the Gold Standard for commitment to quality, innovation, and customer service. A grade of 88 would be perfectly fine for most tourist destinations but it's not good enough for WDW. WDW has done much better.

If anyone cares, I blame TDO and all their maintenance and staff budget cuts for the current state of affairs.

John

But you used a score that nobody should be satisfied with in comparison to a score that sounds pretty good to a lot of people. 3 of 10,000 is insignificant to many people when it comes to light bulbs. 35 of 100 is pretty significant on a test.

You are absolutely correct....but there was a time when 1 in 10,000 was unacepptable to Disney. Disney had its own grading curve.....not the guest. Your missing the point.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You are absolutely correct....but there was a time when 1 in 10,000 was unacepptable to Disney. Disney had its own grading curve.....not the guest. Your missing the point.

I have the point. I was just saying that he was using some poor comparisons to try to make the point when he didn't have to.

John

This whole argument that has permeated this site for so long has even worn me out. The bottom line is that Disney is doing less while making more money ( adjusted for inflation ) then ever. Far and away a lot more. This is what gets us so called D&G'ers all frustrated. The sky isnt falling.....we just want what we are paying for....a high standard of quality and service that Disney created......its that simple. We donmt mind paying the exhorbadant prices.....just give us what you have given us what you have promised.

AEfx

You know why, even though they end up in the trash, cups and napkins (and receipts, shopping bags, etc.) are important?

People used to grab the napkins and go to wipe their mouth or blow their nose and say, "Oh, isn't that neat! They even have their own napkins here!"

It added value to the experience. No, not the fraction of a cent that the napkin costs, but those little neat touches that made you feel like WDW was a cohesive but unique experience, as opposed to the homogonized "Wal-marting" of the "DisneyParks" stuff where it just becomes generic and ubiquitous.

Since they don't build impressive attractions anymore at WDW, yet we are paying higher and higher prices, it would be nice if they at least kept the "little things" that made each park unique and feel like detail was paid attention to. At least pretend, and that's what little details like cups, napkins, etc. helped do.

Goofyernmost

If those 3 lightbulbs are replaced on over night maintenance than it's not an issue. When things like that are ignore for weeks (as @KevinYee has identified) then it's a problem.

Absolutely agree!

I know that you like to think that it is different now then it used to be, but I feel relatively confident that the only difference was/is our ability to notice it. That is caused by our early visits being overwhelming visual stimulation's and excitement that really didn't allow us to have the time to look to see how many lights were out. Couple that with the normal human ability to remember only what we want too and you have a situation where Disney is firmly located in a parallel universe where light bulbs never burn out, Coke cups didn't exist, and mechanical equipment never fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom