First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Well, I can see that the way I worded that could lead to that conclusion, however, I said "IF" not a statement like "they never fix them". Besides in the context of what I was saying which was...we don't know why they did it. I was speculating not stating facts like some seem to be doing. I don't think that even out of context you can say that I made any misleading statement and certainly not a negative one. Never once did I say that it was absolutely what was happening, but I'm sure that this won't matter to those that are bent on having the sky fall. Let's put in the entire paragraph, maybe that will make more sense.

Like any business that anyone deals with, budgets are set and ways must be found to stay within them. If losing an imprint on a napkin means that they don't get rid of a dozen CM's then it is a small price to pay.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If I might be candid for a moment, what bothers me the most about this type of thread is the amount of unsubstantiated statements spoken as if they are true but without even a miniscule amount of fact to back it up. Flashing back for a moment to the Light bulb feature and one comment that said flat out that they don't ever replace them. They talk about something that could have happened just seconds before they saw it and yet speak as if it is just another failure on the part of Disney to provide flaw free service to it's Guests. Not to mention the fact that one would have to make a detailed record of exactly which bulb was out, when and if it was still out the next day, week, month or year. Otherwise, it is a flat out falsehood.

The problem is that for those that don't know how things are done, it truly does sound like it is going to hell in a hand-basket. There is no effort to understand how things physically work. Everyone is so wrapped up in the "Pixie Dust" illusion that it cannot be imagined that these things are mechanical and do not act in accordance with someone else's timetable.

It would help if Disney were a little more forthcoming about their motivation and system, but they aren't and I don't really blame them because nothing they could do except to have access to actual Pixie Dust, can fix it. None of us know why, for example, that the Napkins and Cups lost their, heretofore, standard Disney imprints. I'm sure there is a reason and, heck, it might even be a good one, but instead it becomes part of some "BIG" picture conspiracy and heaven forbid that a different look at it is introduced. No, it just means that Disney no longer cares.

It might be for cost cutting, but if you can cut costs on something as insignificant as a throw away napkin or cup, well, that's where is should be cut...in a totally unimportant area.

I never said that no lightbulbs get replaced. I said that the bulbs on the Train Station and the Grand Floridian do not get replaced!
See...that's the problem too....they do not get replaced!
Just look at the Main Street train station and the Grand Floridian at night if you don't believe me.
If it was a one time thing, it would be one thing, but this problem has been ongoing for a couple of years.

Tom

Beta Return
While I wouldn't be one to say that they're physically taking away something from guests (like if they closed a ride, cut monorail and EMH hours short, or increased food prices while reducing portions/quality)....but I will say that these types of things do indeed take away from the overall experience.

I'll borrow analogies that others have used. I, for one, don't care much for character MnG's. I don't have kids. I know it's a person in a costume. It doesn't do anything magical for me. BUT, it's important to have them because most guests' experiences are enhanced by them. The same goes for character meals. Just because my experience isn't enhanced by them, doesn't mean someone else's isn't.

Everyone finds their "thing" at WDW. Some appreciate authentic period themes. Some find delight in the various pavements. Some get into their zone when they hear park area music. Many are fascinated by hidden Mickeys. And, obviously, many appreciate the fact that Disney's plates, napkins, cups, shopping bags and popcorn buckets all have the mouse on them.

Disney has (or used to be) known for its attention to detail. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of incidental things in the parks, in the hotel rooms and around property that constantly remind you that you're at Disney....not out on 192.

From a marketing standpoint, I can't fathom why they wouldn't want to continue to bombard guests with their branding and company image - even if it's a logo for a specific campaign. Every major company saturates everything they can with their corporate image. To remove logos from things like cups and napkins not only eliminates one more medium through which to remind you that you're at Disney...but it also takes the place another step toward being part of the "real world".

When I'm in Disney World, I don't want an ounce of the real world to infringe on my experience - which is exactly what they wanted when they built the place. Everything around me should be Disney - and I don't care that some people see that as making the place "one big commercial". Guess what? IT IS! The entire place is there to remind you that you're at Disney World, and to beat it into your brain so hard that you want to come back. That's what commercials do.

The removal of things like this is like the domino effect. Sure, it's just the napkins - so what? Oh well, now they're letting Coke stamp the cups instead of putting mouse ears on them...ok, sure. What if they changed the popcorn containers to say Orville Redenbacher instead of being imprinted with the mouse ears? What if they got rid of the Mickey ice cream bars by chopping off the ears? What if the sprinkles on your cupcakes and ice cream were plain round ones instead of ears? What if they started using the plastic "THANK YOU" grocery sacks like Chinese restaurants use instead of the branded bags?

Eventually these individually "unimportant" things would add up to an entire transformation. You would no longer be in Disney World - but you'd be back on the real streets of America.

ParentsOf4

Wait. Are they taking the logos off the margarine now too?
I realize you were joking but, sadly, they got rid of the Mickey Mouse Face butter years ago at most locations. (Yes, they used to have that too.) They might still have it at the Grand Floridian. See what they'll do for you for only $500 (plus room service) per night. Who dare says WDW is getting cheap on us?

ParentsOf4

Yeah, because that's totally backed up by Disney doing huge expansions at the parks. Yes, I see it now. Some people hate Disney and need to get a grip.
Huge expansions? I remember when EPCOT was added in 1982. I remember when Disney-MGM was added in 1989. I remember when Disney's Animal Kingdom was added in 1998. Those were huge expansions. It's 14 years later and there are no huge expansions on the horizon. Hopefully, you don't consider FLE a huge expansion. We've already lost 2 attractions and Mickey's Toontown was closed. What they are putting in their place hardly qualifies as a huge expansion. The latest rumor is that Avatar land is on hold. Maybe we'll get that in 5 years. Hopefully something is in the works at DHS but it looks like we'll loose LMA for that.

You want to talk about expansions, go see what's happening at Universal Orlando. That's were all the action is right now.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet

WildcatDen

Wow. Made it through all 22 pages. An hour of my life I will never get back. I guess I see both sides of the fight. Sure, to me napkins and plates mean nothing. My opinion. If themed, w00t w00t, if not, no biggy. I like this quote from Walt.

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter. ~Walt Disney

psukardi

I get it - some people don't see the value in the napkins/cups/sprinkles/etc. But from the angle of branding and recognition you could make the argument that it's not wise to be making these moves. As others have said - you want to be taken in by the experience.

The mouse wants to make more $ and is "trimming fat". However, at some point you start to cut too much and start to hit muscle. Which conversation do you think is better:

Person A: "How was the trip?"
Person B: "It was a totally different world. Could you believe that even the cups and napkins had mickey ears on them. The whole place is just crazy...."

OR

Person B: "Eh, it's just another park y'know? It was crowded and hot and I don't really see that much of a difference from the other park. At least at Universal you can get that Butter Beer and stuff...you know it really makes you feel like you're part of Harry Potter Land."

Disney is going from A->B in an attempt to bolster the bottom line.

The Empress Lilly

I get it - some people don't see the value in the napkins/cups/sprinkles/etc. But from the angle of branding and recognition you could make the argument that it's not wise to be making these moves. As others have said - you want to be taken in by the experience.

The mouse wants to make more $ and is "trimming fat". However, at some point you start to cut too much and start to hit muscle. Which conversation do you think is better:

Person A: "How was the trip?"
Person B: "It was a totally different world. Could you believe that even the cups and napkins had mickey ears on them. The whole place is just crazy...."

OR

Person B: "Eh, it's just another park y'know? It was crowded and hot and I don't really see that much of a difference from the other park. At least at Universal you can get that Butter Beer and stuff...you know it really makes you feel like you're part of Harry Potter Land."

Disney is going from A->B in an attempt to bolster the bottom line.
I love your post. Excellent put.

Those Butterbeer cups ARE Harry Potter themed. They are specific to the land too.

I think Disney took the wrong cue from Universal / Potter. Disney learned from Potter that people are apparantly willing to spend $5 on a sugary drink with a themed cup. So Disney...removes its own themed cups, and offers you the choice of your drink in a plain cup or a themed one: a $7.49 souvenir cup.

The Empress Lilly

What's with the school kids in this thread?

And the name calling? I get called names on the internet for my political/religious/social views. Fine, I suppose. What can you do.
But why oh why do we get subjected to sarcatic unpleasantries and name calling names for stating on a Disney site that we enjoy Disney characters on our meal accesoiries?
w05.gif

psukardi

I love your post. Excellent put.

Those Butterbeer cups ARE Harry Potter themed. They are specific to the land too.

I think Disney took the wrong cue from Universal / Potter. Disney learned from Potter that people are apparantly willing to spend $5 on a sugary drink with a themed cup. So Disney...removes its own themed cups, and offers you the choice of your drink in a plain cup or a themed one: a $7.49 souvenir cup.

The only reason I even mentioned the butter beer is a co-worker and her husband went to Florida not too long ago and they talked about the butter beer and harry potter land. They also went to Disney but didn't seem to talk it up.

There is a strong fanatical base of Disney lovers that will continue to frequent the park despite these small systematic changes. However, the more you change the experience for the worse (yes it's just a cup) the more you're giving people incentive to spend time at Universal or Sea World or staying off property.

Just my two bits

Those are the cups they use in the cast cafeterias, so my guess is that when they ran out of the old cups and since they can't use the new ones yet (if they have even arrived yet) my guess is that they are going to use those until they are able to use the new ones...so no worries :)

tinkerbell1620

No kidding.

The level of cheapness TDO has sunk to is unfathomable. My guess is, this isn't happening at Disneyland. Can anyone confirm this?

i wouldnt exactly call this cheap. they are spending millions to give us all what we want, expansions & refurbs. new attractions, new resorts, what else could you people ask for? these things end up in the GARBAGE! for all we know, like someone just recently posted, disney could be waiting for their new cups and napkins for their next big thing. The last thing on my mind while im in WDW is what i drink out of and clean my hands and face with. just saying :)

captainkidd

i wouldnt exactly call this cheap. they are spending millions to give us all what we want, expansions & refurbs. new attractions, new resorts, what else could you people ask for? these things end up in the GARBAGE! for all we know, like someone just recently posted, disney could be waiting for their new cups and napkins for their next big thing. The last thing on my mind while im in WDW is what i drink out of and clean my hands and face with. just saying :)

They are spending millions to reap millions in return. Cutting out the little touches that make Disney so immersive isn't what people want.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You may not consiously notice these details, but take enough of them away and you will start to notice that something is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom