Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Inspired Figment

the whole problematic turntable would most likely be extremely feasible in this day and age... The system was all done in 1981-2...technology has come incredibly far in the last 41 years...
Yep and again, you could even implement some of those roller coaster type drops and such too in it now if you wanted too. Not to mention some of the more elaborate special effects that were supposed to be in it before they were cut due to budget & tech limitations. ‘All’ the issues it had back in the 80s could be ‘immediately’ be resolved at this point.

matt9112

Yep and again, you could even implement some of those roller coaster type drops and such too in it now if you wanted too. Not to mention some of the more elaborate special effects that were supposed to be in it before they were cut due to budget & tech limitations. ‘All’ the issues it had back in the 80s could be ‘immediately’ be resolved at this point.

I think a solid effort to redo the original but with modern everything would be great. As you mention could add a little thrill even. Return that husk of a pavilion into something great. But we all know disney has no issues with pavilions rotting away.

aladdin2007

the whole problematic turntable would most likely be extremely feasible in this day and age... The system was all done in 1981-2...technology has come incredibly far in the last 41 years...
sure has, they sure could implement what use to be with updated tech, but seems like anymore everything is taking two steps backwards. The amazing things they use to create and design we cant seem to have today, tech has come so far yet now everything is too complicated too expensive. Look at all the things at Disney that use to be that is no more. Imagination, lights of winter, the projections on the ws pavilions during illuminations 25, etc, the massive surprise in the skies characters in front of each country during the show, the list goes on. Instead we get a bombastic mess on the lagoon with so much hardware you could probably rebuild Horizons with it. :banghead:

Cmdr_Crimson

Just saw this Clip of the Figment AA from the finale segment and I have to say how impressive his fluid movement is in this compared to where he stands now at the touch and taste labs dock..

Same AA but choppier movement..
epcot-disney-world.gif

Rodj

Just saw this Clip of the Figment AA from the finale segment and I have to say how impressive his fluid movement is in this compared to where he stands now at the touch and taste labs dock..
The stiff movements now are due to maintenance reasons, this video from 2003 shows it when it used to be more fluid:

I am still unsure on if they are the same animatronic though, some people have provided proof that that they are new animatronics using the same molds(i.e. the space Figment animatronic), and suggested that the others are new as well.

Inspired Figment

The stiff movements now are due to maintenance reasons, this video from 2003 shows it when it used to be more fluid:

I am still unsure on if they are the same animatronic though, some people have provided proof that that they are new animatronics using the same molds(i.e. the space Figment animatronic), and suggested that the others are new as well.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they simply made ‘some’ new AAs because they were either sold off or cannibalized some for parts for other AAs. Happens all the time. But clearly some are the same figures judging by the movements & sculpts. Like the Sound Lab Figment being the old Artist Figment with a pot of rainbow mist, retrofitted onto one of the original dreamcatching machine mechs to make him pop up & down, rotate, etc.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

CR is definitely a better coaster than RnRC. But aside from it being a fun coaster, there isn’t much to it. The story is ridiculously bad and there’s little to no set pieces to marvel at. It’s no masterpiece.

Hagrid’s on the other hand is quite great beyond it’s coaster track.
Does Hagrid really have a good story though? "Oops, Hagrid's bad at magic. Now you're flying all over the place!"
100% agreed on the set pieces though. What an amazing looking ride that's all physical, at least as far I remember lol
That’s nice for fans, but borderline insulting right? Play the music and hopefully the fanboys will forget that the ride has been rotting for longer than the original has ever existed with no apparent plans for an update.
I have to imagine that EPCOT's management wants to update Journey. It's just that the higher ups don't care about it.

Dragonman

Wouldn’t surprise me if they simply made ‘some’ new AAs because they were either sold off or cannibalized some for parts for other AAs. Happens all the time. But clearly some are the same figures judging by the movements & sculpts. Like the Sound Lab Figment being the old Artist Figment with a pot of rainbow mist, retrofitted onto one of the original dreamcatching machine mechs to make him pop up & down, rotate, etc.
The only ones that I know were sold off were the puppets used on the screens in the finale. The others were either reused, sold to collectors (including Tony Baxter) or are just sitting around in the archives/storage and occasionally get brought out for events.

All the Dreamfinder AAs however were very likely scrapped for parts as I haven’t seen any surviving examples.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Can anyone give me a rundown of what remnants are left of the original and not in use? Like I know the hollow floor you walk over on the queue is part of the old track (I think?). Going back in about a month with a whole lot more knowledge about Epcot than on my first trip.
Be sure to spend some time in the entrance queue looking at the artifacts locked within the caged shelving.
It is on your right after you pass through the mock ‘Imagination Institute’ visitors entrance in the queue.
This caged area has a lot of random equipment stored there and most of it is literal remnants from the Original Attraction.
A few pieces are from the second version, but the less said about that atrocity the better.

Some of the pieces from the Original located in this caged area are props and show elements from the ‘Dreamport’, pieces of old audio equipment, projector pieces, and even a concept model used during the creation of the ride.

The other remnants are all under and above you throughout the building,
When riding through the Attraction now there, and when walking through the current Image Works area, look UP and look DOWN as you go along.
Piping, ceiling hatches, original interior wall edges, original track path imprints, and more can be seen.
The motor units that push the ride vehicles through the current Attraction are also originals in certain areas I believe.

So much was literally ripped out….there is very little that remains now but if you know where and when to look glimmers of that past are still there.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Just because there's no video or audio of imagination breaking down doesn't mean it never happened. I believe there was an issue that they decided to remove rather than fix. Also moving imageworks downstairs was a factor in the decision.

Heck, the original energy exterior music loop is "lost" because no full audio/video recording either exists or has been posted online.

I actually recorded a CM spiel of an Original ‘Journey’ breakdown cira 1985 on cassette tape.
Still have it.
I used to ride through as a teen with a tape recorder on my lap and record the audio.

I was in the ‘Literature’ section when the ride vehicles stopped and the Show audio in the entire Attraction was shut off and the announcement came on.
I remember it well, even without the recording, as my vehicle was directly under a shaking letter which made me slightly nervous sitting under for about five minutes.
The show audio came back up shortly afterwards, but was then shut off again.
It was surreal sitting there in the silence with only the slight squeaking sound of props.
Eventually the ride vehicles started moving again, but the show elements remained off and no audio was turned back on.
All of this was captured on both audio tape and I also shot a few photos of ‘standstill Figment’ in the finale room.
Unique pose, with his arms down and his head looking up as ‘dead’.

The cause was due to ride vehicles not lining up correctly with the ‘turntable’ Show scenes.
At that time, a CM had to sit in a chair in the dark right next to the entrance to watch the vehicles and make sure they lined up correctly to enter the space.
If they didn’t, all went 101.
Decades later I heard Tony talk about why this would happen…
According to him the ride vehicles were designed to be ‘self thinking’ vehicles that were programmed to not bump into each other.
They were designed to speed up or slow down depending on how they were spaced apart from each other during the course of the expereince.
Part of the reason the ride portion of the Pavilion did not make Grand Opening Day of EPCOT Center was because of delays caused by trying to sort that out.
There were a lot of challenges.

He said the reason for the issues with the vehicles sometimes not lining up with the ‘turntable’ was because the ride vehicles were doing their job too well as far as being ‘intelligent’ self roving units and the rotating show scenes were the sticking point.
A mis-match of the two speeds between them is what kept causing problems…thus a CM needing to be posted near the rotating entrance to insure things went as planned most of the time.

I wish I could remember his exact telling….he explained how the ride vehicles worked and communicated with each other, and slowed down or sped up when needed.
The Attraction was ahead of its time in some respects, the ride vehicles being just one such element.

-

I actually recorded a CM spiel of an Original ‘Journey’ breakdown cira 1985 on cassette tape.
Still have it.
I used to ride through as a teen with a tape recorder on my lap and record the audio.

I was in the ‘Literature’ section when the ride vehicles stopped and the Show audio in the entire Attraction was shut off and the announcement came on.
I remember it well, even without the recording, as my vehicle was directly under a shaking letter which made me slightly nervous sitting under for about five minutes.
It was surreal sitting there in the silence with only the slight squeaking sound of props.
Eventually the ride vehicles started moving again, but the show elements remained off and no audio was turned back on.
All of this was captured on both audio tape and I also shot a few photos of ‘standstill Figment’ in the finale room.

The cause was due to ride vehicles not lining up correctly with the ‘turntable’ Show scenes.
At that time, a CM had to sit in a chair in the dark right next to the entrance to watch the vehicles and make sure they lined up correctly to enter the space.
According to him the ride vehicles were designed to be ‘self thinking’ vehicles that were programmed to not bump into each other.
They were designed to speed up or slow down depending on how they were spaced apart from each other during the course of the expereince.
Part of the reason the ride portion of the Pavilion did not make Grand Opening Day of EPCOT Center was because of delays caused by trying to sort that out.

He said the reason for the issues with the vehicles sometimes not lining up with the ‘turntable’ was because the ride vehicles were doing their job too well as far as being ‘intelligent’ self roving units and the rotating show scenes were the sticking point.
A mis-match of the two speeds between them is what kept causing problems…thus a CM needing to be posted near the rotating entrance to insure things went as planned most of the time.

I wish I could remember his exact telling….he explained how the ride vehicles worked and communicated with each other, and slowed down or sped up when needed.
The Attraction was ahead of its time in some respects, the ride vehicles being just one such element.

-
You should upload that tape to YouTube! A interesting historical record.

Mickeynerd17

Still have it.
I'd love to hear it. Any way you could get the audio to a digital file? It's probably like the others in the park but I have no idea.

Inspired Figment

Still have it.

-
OMG! Please, if there’s any way. Definitely try and digitize that cassette for us to hear of the breakdown when we can, aswell as post those photos for us to see. Super rare we see anything like that posted anywhere. That would be amazing! ❤️

Inspired Figment

The current ride is about 7 minutes, the old ride was about 11 and yes the old ride had a larger capacity.
Indeed, another thing to take into consideration. The original 83-98 ride vehicles traveled slower through the ride ‘and’ they didn’t stop in each scene, it was constantly moving like the Haunted Mansion, unlike the 99-01 & 02-current ones where there’s a constant stop & start for the loading process.

Figments Friend

I'd love to hear it. Any way you could get the audio to a digital file? It's probably like the others in the park but I have no idea.

The CM’s spiel was live.
Basically a VERY loud mic announcement…then blasting Show audio…..then deathly silence except for the slight sounds of moving props.
When the vehicles eventually moved the Show audio was left off, and none of the AAs were operating.
It was absolutely surreal…and I remember it to this day.

One of these days I will get the audio up on YouTube.
I will also have to share my snapshot of the frozen at a standstill finale Figment figure.
I have never seen any other shot quite like it, the pose is unique due to the shutdown.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom