Expedition Everest effects status watch

BigThunderMatt

I've been hearing whispers that a new yeti is actually being built to replace the one we have. Take it for what you will, but while expensive, this would likely be the most logical reaction to the situation. Instead of opening the mountain to pull out the yeti and fix it and then put it back in, just open it, pull the old one out, put the new one in and close it back up.

fractal

I've been hearing whispers that a new yeti is actually being built to replace the one we have. Take it for what you will, but while expensive, this would likely be the most logical reaction to the situation. Instead of opening the mountain to pull out the yeti and fix it and then put it back in, just open it, pull the old one out, put the new one in and close it back up.

Well, that would be just about the best news I've heard in a long time. I will, however be skeptical until we get some kind of confirmation. On the surface it seems to make a lot of sense and would mean much less down time for EE.

I wonder if they would let me keep the old Yeti in my basement?

Andrew54

That would be so great. Maybe they will create some better way to get him out of the mountain aswell. Lay him down on the track and send him down it or something. lol

stitch2008

That could explain why he hasn't been fixed properly yet and why he is still the way he is. Plus, I think there are a lot of advantages for a plan like that. It allows you to build a new figure that you can make more reliable. While it will cost more now, it will save money in the long run, as you wont have to keep paying for big repairs for the current figure. It would also, as you pointed out, cut down on the replacement time. As the two yetis could be quickly swapped, rather the waiting for the current one to get repaired and then put back in.

I'll wait for comformation on this one. But it sounds logical at this point.

_Scar

I don't think they can build a massive NEW yeti... there would be no possible way of getting it inside unless it was built in pieces (which I doubt is possible). I remember in an interview Rodhe said it all had to be built precisely as to not disturb anything else in the ride.

BigThunderMatt

I don't think they can build a massive NEW yeti... there would be no possible way of getting it inside unless it was built in pieces (which I doubt is possible). I remember in an interview Rodhe said it all had to be built precisely as to not disturb anything else in the ride.

The mountain, the yeti, and the track do not touch each other in any way shape or form and are not connected. The hassle of removing it is in the process of specifically disassembling one part of the show building.

Animatronics get removed and rebuilt or replaced at other attractions all the time. WDI is not stupid enough to ever put something in they'd be unable to physically remove in the future.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The mountain, the yeti, and the track do not touch each other in any way shape or form and are not connected. The hassle of removing it is in the process of specifically disassembling one part of the show building.

Animatronics get removed and rebuilt or replaced at other attractions all the time. WDI is not stupid enough to ever put something in they'd be unable to physically remove in the future.

I remember hearing about this same sort of thing at the Haunted Mansion concerning the giant piece of glass in the ballroom. There supposed is a slot in the roof for just such a replacement scenario.

Certainly they thought ahead when designing EE.

Dads 2 Boys

I've heard multiple several interviews that Joe Rohde has given in the past that the Yeti was in before the outer structure was complete because the size of it wouldn't allow it to be "inserted" after the fact.

I hope they have a contigency plan but it would be a tremendous undertaking to accomplish that. With that being said.......it needs to be done and soon. When we were there in December, I could barely see it. There's no comparison to seeing the beast in it's glory. :cry:

Andrew54

Well whos to say the entire yeti has to be removed to fix him? Could they not disassemble him where he stands? I would think if they could break him down they could remove him in smaller parts or remove whatever is broken?

BigThunderMatt

Well whos to say the entire yeti has to be removed to fix him? Could they not disassemble him where he stands? I would think if they could break him down they could remove him in smaller parts or remove whatever is broken?

That being said, however, it would STILL be less time consuming to simply swap it out than to remove it, fix it, and put it back in. DAK doesn't have very many E-Ticket attractions, but Everest is definitely one of them, and I'm sure they've been looking at all possible options to fix the problem as completely as possible in as little time as possible.

stitch2008

I've heard multiple several interviews that Joe Rohde has given in the past that the Yeti was in before the outer structure was complete because the size of it wouldn't allow it to be "inserted" after the fact.

I hope they have a contigency plan but it would be a tremendous undertaking to accomplish that. With that being said.......it needs to be done and soon. When we were there in December, I could barely see it. There's no comparison to seeing the beast in it's glory. :cry:

I'm not one hundred percent sure of that. I looked up a video I taped from the Discovery Channel on how the built it. In the end, they show them installing the yeti, and it looks pretty dark. The only light appears to be artifical light. And it also shows one of his hands with the fur off. This combined with the task of moving the yeti from california to florida, makes me think they disassembled him before moving, and reassembled him florida piece by piece. Plus would you really want a big investment, the star of the ride, an amazing audio animatronic figure just sitting there without the building done? All sort of risks would be invlolved. Weather damage or even a construction accident could cause major damage to the figure. I don't think Disney would want to take that risk. I know I wouldn't. I'd probably bet that it was installed in pieces. But I may be wrong. I haven't really seen any interviews that said that.

I think thats what he means by taking the yeti and putting a new one in. Take the current one apart and replace it with a new one.

The Yeti was put in The mountain in Oct 2005. he was delivered in several crates then assembled. to the left of the Yeti. there is a lift that goes over the track for work. behind the Yeti there is a large open space with a roll up door large enough to drive a semi truck through.

EpcotServo

The Yeti was put in The mountain in Oct 2005. he was delivered in several crates then assembled. to the left of the Yeti. there is a lift that goes over the track for work. behind the Yeti there is a large open space with a roll up door large enough to drive a semi truck through.

^This.

What Joe Rhode was referring too is that the infrastructure that SUPPORTS the Yeti is another structural system intertwined with the other two.

Main Street USA

It's entirely possible that I've missed some more recent news, but I thought the problem was with the structure that supports the yeti not being strong enough to handle the A mode motion, hence the no movement b mode.

Has this changed?

lukacseven

At a recent visit for the marathon weekend, the problem I have with the attraction is that I don't know if the Yeti moved or not, because it was too dark and only a brief strobe, similar to a camera flash went off as we flew by. When the ride first opened, the Yeti was clearly visible and the motion was amazing. I've noticed this with several attractions - the areas containing the top effects and animatronics have been darkened to the point where they take away from the experience.

fractal

not to beat a dead "Yeti", but I just found this quote I thought I'd share...

“The ride is about the yeti, and our story is about our interaction with that yeti. When we get on this train and we go up into the forbidden mountain domain of the yeti, he destroys the track ,and the thrill part of our ride is escaping the wrath of the yeti as we return to civilization.” - Joe Rohde

EpcotServo

not to beat a dead "Yeti", but I just found this quote I thought I'd share...

“The ride is about the yeti, and our story is about our interaction with that yeti. When we get on this train and we go up into the forbidden mountain domain of the yeti, he destroys the track ,and the thrill part of our ride is escaping the wrath of the yeti as we return to civilization.” - Joe Rohde

But that quote still holds true for B-Show, so...

You still very much have a brief, fast, chilling, and frighting encounter with the Yeti at the end. It's not as good, but story telling wise it remains the same experience.

SirGoofy

But that quote still holds true for B-Show, so...

You still very much have a brief, fast, chilling, and frighting encounter with the Yeti at the end. It's not as good, but story telling wise it remains the same experience.

If you call barely seeng a static figure chilling and frightening!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom