Expedition Everest effects status watch

Andrew54

December 1st-7th, 2009
When the coaster was going backwards, once you got back into the building it was COMPLETELY pitch dark, is it suppose to be that way? This was my first time riding it....I wouldn't know the difference but I remember saying to myself...."damn this darkness goes on forever...how unimaginative"

Still an intense ride tho.

That means the projection was not working on the cave wall above

TTA-ATW

Most turned off

Steam at load was working this morning & so was the wall projection. No working waterfalls. No bird on stick. No snow effect. Yeti in b mode.

bellhop13

Steam at load was working this morning & so was the wall projection. No working waterfalls. No bird on stick. No snow effect. Yeti in b mode.
when was the last time they used the snow? I dont ever remember seeing that. And I thought they ditched the bird on the stick b/c of how lame it looked!

freediverdude

I rode it Christmas day, and of course most of the effects talked about weren't working, no bird, no mist, no steam, etc. I can forgive the little effects like that, but in my mind the big thing is Yeti in b mode. That Yeti is supposed to be the centerpiece of the attraction, and I'm sure they spent many millions to build him. To just leave him stationary and do a strobe light behind him in the dark just isn't right, and a lot of people end up missing him or barely see him.

Look, you've already spent all those millions. Spend a little bit more and rig him up to do SOMETHING, any movement, and shine the spotlight on him. It was impressive back when he moved the way he was supposed to- that arm really came out like it was going to grab you. I understand that maybe he can't operate that way consistently, but they need to come up with something else, some other way to make him move that can withstand the daily stresses.

KaneMarko

Ok, last time I was at WDW was probably about last April or so. And I don’t remember many of the effects working on EE. Particularly the Yeti.

EE and ToT are my favorite rides. I like EE just a little more, BECAUSE OF THE YETI!

I understand the ride is very complex. Too complex to say, “just fix it”. But it seems like this has been going on for a very long time. The Yeti is the main event of the ride. I cannot imagine the amount of engineering required to build such a thing and have him move the way he used to.

What’s keeping all the brilliant imagineers that Disney employs from finding a permanent fix for the Yeti? I vaguely remember reading, perhaps on this forum, that the best way to fix him would be to remove him from the mountain so they can work on him. Which I ‘d imagine would require shutting the ride down for a very significant amount of time. If that is the case, it begs the question why didn’t Disney imagineers engineer a better maintenance plan in the event something like this happened?

I could go back and read the entire thread, but what exactly is causing the malfunction of the Yeti? What would it take to fix him long term? Why hasn’t there been a fix already for arguably Disney’s most popular ride?

I’m from the Midwest and have been to WDW 4 times in the last 4 years. Before I went back to WDW in 2006 I hadn’t been since the late 80s and was almost floored at how much it had grown since I went when I was a kid. I’m proud to say that WDW is my favorite place to visit. And when I went back in 2006 I was hooked. I’ve been talking up WDW and EE a lot to friends and family since then. And because of that, there’s a chance that a good sized group of us may be visiting later 2010. They seem to be pretty excited about seeing the Yeti. Hopefully the imagineers have fixed him by then. Fingers crossed.

Any answers to my questions above would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew54

I will be going back in Jan 2011, and I dont expect the Yeti to be fixed by then. They will not fix it for awhile, AK does not have enough attractions to take EE down for the amount of time it would take to fix the Yeti correctly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I will be going back in Jan 2011, and I dont expect the Yeti to be fixed by then. They will not fix it for awhile, AK does not have enough attractions to take EE down for the amount of time it would take to fix the Yeti correctly.
They may not need to `take EE down`. There are several proposals.

Andrew54

If any of those proposals include a toned down A mode I say scrap them. Fix Buster and fix him correctly. If that means a 60 day refurb then so be it.

I agree 100%. Just need to take the time to get him fixed correctly and get this attraction back to what it once was.

I agree 100%. Just need to take the time to get him fixed correctly and get this attraction back to what it once was.

the only problem is that is the main draw for AK... maybe not for the real disney fans... but for tourists that are going one time and one time only that is a huge draw for this park

krankenstein

1/16

Platform Steam - Working
Mountain Cloud - Not Working
Waterfall A - Working
Waterfall B - Not Working
Cave Mist - Not Working
Bird - Not Working
Projection - Working
Yeti - No movement, strobe light, red eyes weren't on.

1/18

Platform Steam - Working
Waterfall A - Working
Cave Mist - Not Working
Bird - Working
Projection - Working
Yeti - No movement, strobe light, red eyes weren't working

KaneMarko

I'm inclined to agree with this. If you're going to fix it, which I hope is the plan, then take the time and do it right, for good. Band-aiding it and quick fixes like strobing it isn't really the way to go. Getting something that large and life-like to move the way it does is a wonderful feat and attraction. Not having it the way it was intended kind of takes some of the shine off a spectacular ride.

1/16

Platform Steam - Working
Waterfall A - Working
Cave Mist - Not Working
Bird - Not Working
Projection - Working
Yeti - No movement, strobe light, red eyes weren't on.

1/18

Platform Steam - Working
Waterfall A - Working
Cave Mist - Not Working
Bird - Working
Projection - Working
Yeti - No movement, strobe light, red eyes weren't working

thanks man... hope its fixed by feb.

docandsix

There's only one right answer...

Fix it, fix it properly, fix it completely, and fix it for good. Take as much time as necessary, and tell anyone who complains about it to Guest Relations that a visit to the local Six Flags is much cheaper if all one cares about is whether or not the roller coaster is working today. Then apply this model to all future repairs and refurbishments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom