Ever have anyting stolen while at the World?

MAF

Original Poster
I was just wondering, has anyone ever had anything of theirs stolen while at WDW? I want to bring my iPod and my sunglasses w/ me to the pool and was hoping that nobody would be stupid enough to steal them while I was swimming or something.

I was just wondering, has anyone ever had anything of theirs stolen while at WDW? I want to bring my iPod and my sunglasses w/ me to the pool and was hoping that nobody would be stupid enough to steal them while I was swimming or something.

So far we have been lucky and have never had anything stolen.

What resort are you staying at?

I know the Beach Club has lockers at Storm Along Bay that you could use (probably for a cost).

Your sunglasses will probably be ok but I wouldn't leave an ipod around while swimming in the pool.

We had a large beach bag that we always bring down with us but it never has anything in it of value. just some sun screen, water bottles, magazines, etc.

Gary

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I have never had anything stolen either. A few times I have left things of value laying around unattended by accident and no one has ever stolen anything. I am sure I have gotten pretty lucky that my iPod or cellphone hasn't walked away so I don't really recommend it.

When I go to the resort pool I usually just stick my room key and cellphone in my shoe, cover it with some towels, and then shove it under the lounge chair. If someone wanted to steal my stuff they would have to really rummage around under the chair and hopefully I would notice them. If I know that I have left anything of value at our spot, I try very hard to never have our lounge chairs out of my sight when I am in the pool.

figmentmom

We've never had anything stolen, either, but we've also never taken chances with anything too expensive. In general, we bring a beach bag to the pool with sunscreen, sunglasses, and a few dollars for snacks. We've always left it - zipped closed - underneath our lounge, and nothing's ever been touched.

Lokheed

My (autistic) son lost his iPod at the Magic Kingdom the week before last. It was very clearly labeled with a sticker giving a phone number to call if it was found. Nobody turned it in to lost and found, and nobody called the number on the label. Apparently somebody picked up an iPod filled with nothing but Disney music and pictures of Snow White, and thought to themselves, "Hey, free iPod!" instead of, "Hey, I bet some poor kid is really missing this right now! I should turn it in to lost and found!"

People suck.

majorrfb

Articles stolen?

Never had anything stolen at the World but my tempt human nature. Don't leave anything valuable within easy reach. On the plus side, we lost our camera case during one visit, we went to lost and found. We described the case and the CM came back with an identical case. Was it ours, I really don't know.:sohappy:

figmentmom

My (autistic) son lost his iPod at the Magic Kingdom the week before last. It was very clearly labeled with a sticker giving a phone number to call if it was found. Nobody turned it in to lost and found, and nobody called the number on the label. Apparently somebody picked up an iPod filled with nothing but Disney music and pictures of Snow White, and thought to themselves, "Hey, free iPod!" instead of, "Hey, I bet some poor kid is really missing this right now! I should turn it in to lost and found!"

People suck.

I'm very sorry that happened to your son. I've followed your posts detailing your son's wonderful experiences at WDW, and I've also read about how many Disney Cast Members have truly gone the extra mile to make your son's trips to Disney memorable. I'm truly glad that WDW is so important and special to him.

I think it fair to say that ONE person has displayed sickening selfishness - the person who failed to return your son's iPod - but to tar everyone with that same brush is going a bit far. People do NOT suck.

grumpylover

Yes we did.We arrived at MK on March 31st, first day first ride was haunted mansion.My wife is in a wheelchair and they took us in the back way and parked her chair in the corner.When we came out to get the chair(our own personal chair)it was gone.It wasnt moved or anything, someone stole it.WE had to file report with security and checked every day with lost and found up until the minute we left.Unfortunatly we never got it back.
How low can ppl get that they feel the need to steal a wheelchair from a handicapped person.

princess noel

Been on several trips to WDW and I've never had or heard of anything being stolen. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I would say although we would like to think our fellow WDW fans staying at the resorts with us would be better people that, don't put yourself in that position. Be vigilant with your valuables and keep them locked up when your not using them. You don't want to present an opportunity to someone and make it easy for them to get your stuff.

As for the boy who lost the ipod and no one turning it in that is just plain ROTTEN! I do have to add we did loose a sony memory stick for our camera on our last trip and it was kind of difficult dealing with lost and found. If you don't know "exactly" where you lost the item you pretty much have to many combinations to try out. They file things by location and if you have them check mulitple filing locations all at once, they don't like that. You also have to keep checking everyday and sometimes your on hold for quite a while (time that you could be in the parks).

Good luck!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yes, twice. Once my car was broken into at the MK parking lot in 2005. My radar detector, my rearview mirror (I'm not kidding), my XM receiver, xm remote control, my CD changer control, the center caps on my rims (weird), my license plate, and my speakers were stolen The other time I was pickpocketed while at the Magic Kingdom. My ipod and wallet were taken.

It hasn't stopped me from coming to Disney, but it has made me even more aware of Disney Security's incompetence, and how much they'd rather you not demand OCSO do a police report as opposed to Disney Security's own report.

Lokheed

Sorry, I was overly cranky with that comment. As a matter of fact we were in the park today and had a great time, and interacted with many wonderful people - both cast members and guests. Ben has a new iPod now (it is more than just a toy, it's what helps him stay calm when things get too overwhelming), and now we have it in a case on a lanyard so it is more difficult to lose. Hopefully this one will last.

Back to the original poster - I certainly wouldn't be leaving any expensive items unattended at the side of the pool. Odds are just too great that they will walk away.

figmentmom

Sorry, I was overly cranky with that comment. As a matter of fact we were in the park today and had a great time, and interacted with many wonderful people - both cast members and guests. Ben has a new iPod now (it is more than just a toy, it's what helps him stay calm when things get too overwhelming), and now we have it in a case on a lanyard so it is more difficult to lose. Hopefully this one will last.

Back to the original poster - I certainly wouldn't be leaving any expensive items unattended at the side of the pool. Odds are just too great that they will walk away.

That's OK, I can certainly understand your frustration! Glad to hear that Ben had a great time - and has a new iPod as well. I have several autistic students, and know how important things like that are. :wave:

Jones611

To answer your question, yes, my mom had a couple of her credit cards stolen out of our room. She packed a small purse to carry in the parks and put her larger purse in a drawer under some clothes. When we got back that night to the room she got out her large purse and noticed her credit cards were missing. So, i never leave anything valuable in my room anymore unless it has a lock on it.

barbara

Last year when we were at Downtown Disney, we had 2 new raincoats taken, it had stopped raining so we had our 4 raincoats on our stroller drying, when the kids were playing at Legostore.

sweetpee_1993

People suck.

I hear ya. We "lost" our camera a little over a year ago. The hubby left it in the little mesh bag in front of his seat on Dinosaur. Obviously someone found it and thought, "ooooh...free camera!", instead of, "ooooh...someone will really want these pictures of their children with the fishies!" I could totally care less about the camera because that could be replaced. It's the pictures of my boys on their guided fishing excursion that I wanted back. I checked back with Central Lost and Found twice daily for weeks. My camera was never to be seen again.

You're right. People suck. Sorry if that's kinda harsh. I still have quite the sore spot about those pictures. Yep, it was our fault but if I found someone's camera I'd never in a million years dream of keeping it...particularly when I know the value of family pictures. :(

sweetpee_1993

And to the original poster, be extremely cautious when leaving anything of value anywhere. I grew up in Central Florida and we always understood that the tourist areas are like a magnet for thieves, scammers, and such. If you must have your ipod by the pool put it inside something that's inside something then burried a few times so someone has to work to find it. Keep a close eye on your stuff while swimming and maybe have a 2nd & 3rd person keeping a watchful eye as well. If you are leaving something in your room, secure it. When leaving your room pull the door all the way shut before you turn away from it. Always watch around you in all directions. Be wary of anyone encroaching on your personal space (yes, even in tight crowds). Just be careful and never assume that everything is dandy because of where you are. WDW is the most magical place on earth but the scum also know all too well that this is the place where a lot of folks tend to be on cloud 9 or in LaLa Land. :D Not much is ever publicized but a lot of things happen at Disney that you never know about. Be careful and have fun! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom