Epcot Wand up or down? (POLL)

Do you want to see the SE wand stay or get the boot?

• I would hate to see it go, I want it to stay!

Votes: 234 38.7%
  • It is annoying, I would tear it down myself!

Votes: 370 61.3%

• Total voters

CaptainMichael

I have a feeling that it will either come down for Epcot's 25'th or dare I say it? changed to "Epcot25". From how I'm interpreting Corrus, it will probably be the former rather than the latter.

No not ladder, latter : )

tink_sox

I don't mind the wand... but I would hate to see SE bare for a long amount of time. Maybe take the wand down now and have something new for Epcot's 25th?

I do like the scattered red stars on SE though...

Jenna

I've only been lucky enough to visit epcot once 2004!As you all know the wand was there-which i never realised until i got there because the only pix id seen were just of SSE!I think it looks good either way but since it was my first disney park on my first disney trip i really want it to stay!SSE was my first ride and i don't want to have it altered!selfish maybe?but thats my opinion!

Pirate665

It detracts from the look of SSE. Plus, it's increasing the weight the "golf-ball" has to support. With it steadily leaning more into the ball with shifting winds.

phillipsa9

i dont have as much dislike for the wand as i do the hat i loathe that hat... im sort of fine with the wand staying but i do think its distracting and a bit out of place

SpenceMan01

Pirate665 said:
It detracts from the look of SSE. Plus, it's increasing the weight the "golf-ball" has to support. With it steadily leaning more into the ball with shifting winds.
Nope. The wand is entirely self supported and doesn't touch the geosphere at all (Picture). With that said, I'd still like to see it come down.

Craig & Lisa

To me up or down doesn't matter, but I would like to see them put the clear acrylic obolisk? back up that was on the fountain back in the late 90's, does anyone remember that? :lookaroun

barnum42

Craig & Lisa said:
To me up or down doesn't matter, but I would like to see them put the clear acrylic obolisk? back up that was on the fountain back in the late 90's, does anyone remember that? :lookaroun
We won't see the original - it was sold on ebay a little while back by that company that sells off the stuff Disney no longer uses.

Pirate665

Actually near the base of the structure, there are several beams directly in contact with the geosphere that are there to prevent the wand from leaning to far in. Trust me they are there. Thing is that they're pressing into the structure to. I'm just wondering how much pressure that thing can take. I'm sure alot, but there has to be a limit.

I just want the darn thing down, cause it's looking old and they really aren't takeing the time to keep it in good repair.

EDIT: Tell you what, I'll be there friday. I'll take some pictures of the structure of the wand and post them here.

loriwdunn

Craig & Lisa said:

I couldn't agree more. Leave a legacy statures in front of SSE makes it look like a mausoleum... I find it totally creepy and crowds the space way too much. I also miss the fountain! They should have put those statues to the side or on the other side of the ticket booth.

majorrfb

Rototom said:
Down as fast as possible.

I may be wrong but my guess is most people voting for it to stay were never there before it was up.

I have been to EPCOT before and after the wand. I most definitely like the wand! It signifies Disney magic will begin again today. It is the alpha and omega of EPCOT.:wave: As we leave, after a long day, looking back and seeing the wand, I begin to wish for another visit soon.:sohappy:

Expo_Seeker40

I too have been to Epcot both before and after the wand and to me the wand (like the castle cake) was a fun and interesting addition for the mellenium celebration. It would have been tollerable for two years.

I really don't see it being a permanent addition. I think Disney is giving the wand a run for its money so to say. The wand to me does not evoke the magic at all. It takes away from it!

I'll never understand why people still do not realise that Epcot is part of WDW. I knew that when I was a little kid. The wand and stars evoke the marketing that is the current Disney.

Leave a legacy, while a nice idea, was poorly executed IMO, and though there is nothing I can do to change it, and it doesn't ruin my trips to Epcot, even though I say ewww everytime I go by them, I do hope someday a new entrance can be designed that can take inspiration from the old entrance and can better intigrate it with leave a legacy.

The wand stars have been up for too long. They may entertain, but hardly inform or inspire. They take away from an amazing achievement in architecture and imagineering.

The hat on the other hand is just in a poor place. It could do much better as the entrance to the park via ticket booths or fantasmic or elsewhere. The earful tower will always be the symbol of MGM because it is a spin off of the water towers of old studios and in the backlot for obvious reasons, who says it has to be at the front of the park?! The great movie ride glorified the chinese theatre by putting it at the end of hollywood boulevard so all could see the park's flagship attration NOT the park's symbol. The hat is mere pin shop, and even on the lines of fantasia, the sorcerer hat cannot symbolize the famous films that the GMR can do.

*runs off to buy a dole whip*

TestTrack

PatsRule said:
I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is. To me it looks fine. I just don't get why people are so against it.

It brings Disney film into a place where I really don't want to see it. I always thought of Epcot as a place of wonder and learning. The Disney characters and shows stayed over in the other parks. The wand takes away from the old atmosphere of EPCOT and makes the part to "kiddish" looking. Whereas, I think EPCOT is the most mature park of them all, at least to be fully enjoyed

dazzer68

take it down and whilst they are at it get rid of the hat at mgm too
the chinese theatre is a lovely building but you cant see it because of the b****y hat

ToTBellHop

Rototom said:
Down as fast as possible.

I may be wrong but my guess is most people voting for it to stay were never there before it was up.
I would imagine you are wrong...it's only been there since late 1999, and most of us visited before that. I actually like it for the color it adds.

TarzanRocked99-

I have never minded the wand and in fact I like it ecspecially at night. I think most of the regular guests feel the same way and hearing the same and moaning about it over and over again is not going to get the wand down so can we just all move on. There are many more pressing matters at WDW than the Wand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom