EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

cyberkode

I just registered for the form to show this photo from my Epcot visits, my family went almost every year to Disney from 83 to 92 or so. Then I went back in 2000 and worked there on their College Program from 1/2003 to 8/2003 and went back in 3/2004 and am going again in two weeks from 9/28-10/1. This photo was from 1983 when I was 1 year old.

How are crowds around this time of year?

947908787_l.jpg

RayLaVeau

Heres Some from me

Taken in 2006
Bye Bye Big Bouncy Balls :)
DSCF1165.jpg

Bye Mr Wand!!
DSCF1160.jpg

And One Last look at the "eyesore" that I kinda liked, but now that its gone I can't say I will miss it
DSCF1157.jpg

cyberkode

I will be happy to see that wand gone, I haven't see EPCOT without the wand since 1992 when I was a wee lad.

Do you know if they are still selling retro EPCOT CENTER shirts? I really want a couple.

SDav10495

I will be happy to see that wand gone, I haven't see EPCOT without the wand since 1992 when I was a wee lad.

Do you know if they are still selling retro EPCOT CENTER shirts? I really want a couple.

The retro EPCOT Center shirts are, as far as I know, all back in stock at MouseGears and you should be able to order them through WDW Mail Order. After weeks of waiting for it on back order, I just got mine delivered a few hours ago and am wearing it now!

ROEFan88

I've posted this awhile ago. This was taken sometime in the early 80's. I was about six years old. My dad actually took the shot.

I love how pristine and glowing SSE looks here - I know it's probably due to the nice weather that day, but I get the feeling it just wouldn't look quite as shiny on a similar day in 2007. I hope it's possible to give the outside a clean soon (though I'm not really sure how one would do that? :shrug: ) I hope they replant the palm trees at the front too, they really add something and give a good indication of the sheer size of SSE.

(The lack of entrance clutter and the stunning plinth sculpture also make this a stunning pic of course! lol)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The palm trees are slated to make a return...permits were filed a few weeks ago from what i read. Yay!!

I also love this pic, as it shows how wonderful the entrance to EPCOT used to look without all the "clutter". I think Disney is taking steps to return it to it's "un-cluttered" look which is great.

Awesome photos here everyone....keep them coming!!

:sohappy:

Jerm

You asked for it! (also as a warning I might have taken flash pictures in some attractions for these:ROFLOL: )
1252680944_1676ed313d_o.jpg

1252681030_fbc512d9f9_o.jpg

1251820267_0a89761fc5_o.jpg

1252681810_8e0c9b6160_o.jpg

1251820593_909c5bd0ac_o.jpg

1252757890_1b04eb4a7e_o.jpg

SewIn2Disney

I've got some great pics from 1987 that I'll try to get up. I don't have a scanner though so I'll have to take a picture of a picture. Keep the pics coming though!

SDav10495

The palm trees are slated to make a return...permits were filed a few weeks ago from what i read. Yay!!

Well, not exactly...those permits were for short palm trees to replace the "square" trees along the side of Earth Station (now Project Tomorrow)--those areas you walk through once you're actually past the ride entrance. It has been completed beautifully (you can find photos in some recent threads) and brings attention back to the architecture again. But no, as far as I know nothing has officially been planned yet in the way of returning the old, towering palms to the front of SSE...which they really should do, as the current trees are squat, unimpressive, and pretty shapeless.

And Jerm, it's great that those photos have dates on them! That puts you among the last to ever ride Horizons (which closed three months later) and the original JII (which closed SIX DAYS later!!). Just think about it...beginning only a short time after your camera captured these scenes, they were never seen again in person. As a rule I usually don't take pictures during rides, but it's photos like yours that make me wish I did once and a while...the ride could disappear forever before you know it, and it's nice to have something to remember it by.

I've posted this awhile ago. This was taken sometime in the early 80's. I was about six years old. My dad actually took the shot.

Wow.

Now I've got an etched photo on the "tombstones" but I'd happily have it moved somewhere else to see a sight like that when I walk into Epcot. Ahem, mean EPCOT. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom