EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

jeffb

Now it's time to book our flight. From where i live ( Boston area), you almost always flew down on EASTERN AIRLINES ( Remember Eastern? It was 'The Official Airline of Walt Disney World' long before Delta was...

Totally cool Eastern Airlines luggage tag from 1982 ( note WDW Logo! I LOVE THIS TAG!!! Who saves this crap?? ( raises hand...)

Alright...we are flying in style now...time for some onboard refreshment-

Check THIS out- ( speaking of saving random crap...lol...)

Eastern Airlines paper cocktail NAPKIN advertising 'Disney's latest wonder' EPCOT Center!

WDWRetroEasternAirlinesNapkin.jpg

:lol:

Jen - so many great pictures you have posted to this thread!

Speaking of Eastern here is a pic of one my favorite WDW posters:

3389239014_210af1906a_b.jpg

And a shot of an Eastern of L1011 (we will be your wings!)

3324813272_f698dcccdc_b.jpg

vonpluto

Does any one have the old EPCOT Field Guide, or the page handouts that were available at EPCOT Outreach? I have all of Future World, but would like complete the guide with the pages from World Showcase. Directions to an online site where they are posted, or scans here would be appreciated.

TIA:wave:

Example SSE:
Field-Guide-SSE.jpg

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And oh yes, I remember Wand Watch 07 alllllll too well. :)

I made graphics for the occasion back then. :lookaroun

WandWatchAlert.jpg

YEEESssss!!!

I SO totally remember this graphic you made too! Back then we had a great thread going here on WDWMagic.com covering in-depth the destruction of this eyesore...when it was...uh...deleted. I can't recall the 'whys'...but 'Wand Watch 07'' ended up carrying on in other forms.

Awesome graphic by the way...love it love it love it.

And what's this jazz about 'Granny'??? :lol:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Jenn - so many great pictures you have posted to this thread!

HOLY #%&!^#*!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The TOP photo is surely one of THE most amazing images i have ever seen to date related to WDW. WOW! WOW! WOWeeee!!!! It makes my stuff look like ...well....paper you can blow your nose on!!

AND the Eastern jetliner photo???? WWooooo!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Makes me want to break out my Eastern embroidered workshirt....
:lol:

Jeff, these are INCREDIBLE!!!! THANK YOU for posting these here!

OMG- THAT POSTER!! MUST HAVE NOW!!!

( goes to search Ebay...)

diddy_mouse

OMG that Eastern Airlines poster is AMAZING!! :eek:

I recently became the proud owner of Chip wearing his Chinese outfit from a MickeyD's Happy Meal. I was happy to see that "EPCOT Center" complete with old school logo was stamped on his back. :) I still am most proud of this shirt my mom had back in the day. I wore it on our trip in '07 in celebration of 25 years of EPCOT.

Me_with_Figment.JPG

brkgnews

Does any one have the old EPCOT Field Guide, or the page handouts that were available at EPCOT Outreach? I have all of Future World, but would like complete the guide with the pages from World Showcase. Directions to an online site where they are posted, or scans here would be appreciated.

TIA:wave:
Sadly I don't. It's on my "doez want" list. :lol:

BTW... if I can ever get a scanner to cooperate, I'm going to attempt to scan in the entire contents of the Project Florida booklet into a PDF.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Now THAT would totally kick shell. I look forward to seeing it!!

:)

Okay, just returned from eBay. No cool Eastern posters....but i did find this rad licence plate. Check out the date!

:D

EasternAirlineslicenceplateFL.jpg

EPCOTPluto

I have a bunch too...but i will hold off posting until EPCOTPluto.

Don't wanna 'steal the thunder' and be rude.....

EP probably has better pix then me anyway!

It's OK, you can post them first, Figments Friend. :wave:

I don't think I will have time today or perhaps tomorrow thanks to the removal of my wisdom teeth...:lookaroun

EDIT: Perhaps some will do now. :animwink:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

jeffb

Sadly I don't. It's on my "doez want" list. :lol:

BTW... if I can ever get a scanner to cooperate, I'm going to attempt to scan in the entire contents of the Project Florida booklet into a PDF.

That would be amazing! I would come to GA to help you feed the pages. :ROFLOL:

jeffb

Now THAT would totally kick shell. I look forward to seeing it!!

Okay, just returned from eBay. No cool Eastern posters....but i did find this rad licence plate. Check out the date!

:D

EasternAirlineslicenceplateFL.jpg

That is sweet with the Oct 82 sticker and the Eastern logo. Any insight as to what is the Ionosphere Club?

Diddy Mouse - Fantastic classic EPCOT Center shirt!

brkgnews

That would be amazing! I would come to GA to help you feed the pages. :ROFLOL:
The flatbed that I have at work would fit it... but I'm not a huge fan of transporting the item :lookaroun It's kinda in sketchy shape, considering it's 42 years old :dazzle:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
That is sweet with the Oct 82 sticker and the Eastern logo. Any insight as to what is the Ionosphere Club?

It was a airport lounge at the Tampa airport from what i gather, but seeing Orange County listed on the licence place tells me they must have had one in Orlando too. It was probably at many airports..one of those 'pay to be a member' to use the airlines' lounge type deals. Think 'Admirals Club'...same thing really.

Here is a cool clip of text relating to Eastern and WDW-

From Wikipedia:

Just before Walt Disney World opened in 1971, Eastern established service at Orlando and became the official airline of Walt Disney World. This proved to be extremely beneficial for Eastern as well as Disney. It remained the official airline of Walt Disney World, which even had an Eastern-themed ride at its park (If You Had Wings in Tomorrowland where Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is currently located), until its contracting route network forced Disney to switch to Delta shortly before Eastern's 1989 bankruptcy filing. The ride was subsequently rethemed.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Awesome photos....and i agree- the retro logo for our fave Park was a welcome additon to the festivities. I exspecially liked how they added the purple plants...it can't be 'retro EPCOT Center' without 'John Hench Purple' in it! :)

I remember when we first learned about the planting.......and the small blue sign that was put up to accompany the greenery...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's OK, you can post them first, Figments Friend. :wave:

I don't think I will have time today or perhaps tomorrow thanks to the removal of my wisdom teeth...:lookaroun

EDIT: Perhaps some will do now. :animwink:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What is that guy in the middle picture doing? It looks like he has a metal detector! :lol:

yankspy

Jen - so many great pictures you have posted to this thread!

My Mother has that Eastern poster. She refuses to give it to me.:cry: Ahh, the memories of flying an L1011 while listening to Disney tunes on the in-flight headphones and having Mickey greet you at the gate. Anyone remember the old airport?

PhilharMagician

OK, I uploaded most of my EPCOT 25 Gallery photos from that great day! :D

Some examples:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More at my Photo Album:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=737

And that's not all! There's more from later trips, including a EPCOT logo decked with Poinsettia plants, but that's another day! :wave:

Great photo album!! Thanks for uploading those. I really like the close-ups you took of the constuction pics. I wish I had done the same when it was open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom