EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

EPCOT Explorer

Here's a cool photo-

From September 1982

Note that the famous fountain in front of SSE is down for rehab..

EPCOTSept82.jpg

-

Here's history in the making-

Steel work is complete on a newly 'born' SSE...now its time for a hard earned 'topping off' ceremony.

I bet one of these guys is wearing Jackie's hard hat...YES! The guy in the blue shirt! I KNEW IT! :lol:

EPCOTCenter-ToppingoffSSE.jpg
Love the first pic. THAT is EPCOT Center.

And love the topping off thing....That's awesome.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
... FW West is BARREN in that pic! It needs SOME trees!...

Trees? TREES??

Everyone knows that in the Future, there are NO TREES!

Sad but true...think of the rain forest ( or what's left of em'....)

:(

So yeah, Early EPCOT was true to the far future indeed. Just another aspect that made this Park SO far ahead of it's time.

:D

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is a larger version of above above picture for your viewing pleasure! Again, from September 1982 ( ignore the date on the pic! )

EPCOTSept82-1.jpg

-

SSE's forecourt was so much nicer back then...

This is what i consider THE defining photograph though for the REAL 'EPCOT Center'

Bask in it's glory once more!

EPCOTCenterentranceplaza.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

Here is a larger version of above above picture for your viewing pleasure! Again, from September 1982 ( ignore the date on the pic! )

EPCOTSept82-1.jpg

-

SSE's forecourt was so much nicer back then...

This is what i consider THE defining photograph though for the REAL 'EPCOT Center'

Bask in it's glory once more!

EPCOTCenterentranceplaza.jpg

Indeed. Now THAT was futuristic. I would love if that look could make a return. Maybe with a new design with the planters and some fountains...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Note that the famous fountain in front of SSE is down for rehab..
Not quite; we found a few months ago that the picture was taken during preopening park tests. The plexiglass uprights were installed that week.
And love the topping off thing....That's awesome.
The bottoming off was even better ;)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Not quite; we found a few months ago that the picture was taken during preopening park tests. The plexiglass uprights were installed that week.
;)

Whoa..fantastic to hear about this ! I remember this pic was brought up before in another thread ages ago..a lot of discussion about the 'missing' fountain. Last i knew it was just 'down for rehab' but i stopped reading some time ago and must have missed the crucial verdict.

The voice of reason has enlightened me however. Thanks Martin!

:wave:

So i see you are back in the World this September...me too! See ya at UoE again maybe!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I have a bunch too...but i will hold off posting until EPCOTPluto.

Don't wanna 'steal the thunder' and be rude.....

EP probably has better pix then me anyway!

:)

Figment82

I took 4 photos from 4 different spots *every single day* during the wand's removal. One day I will get around to making a time lapse slide show... of course, I've been saying that for 2 years now! :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I took 4 photos from 4 different spots *every single day* during the wand's removal. One day I will get around to making a time lapse slide show... of course, I've been saying that for 2 years now! :lol:

Quit lollygagging around and get to work! :wave:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Figment's Friend, I've got plenty of "paper crap" myself, and fondly remember Eastern Airlines. And I've still got Epcot keychain "K" out of the merchandise catalog!!

Yankspy, I nearly swooned at the picture of Centorium. :D My all-time favorite shopping mecca. I think I cried when they dismantled it. :cry:

And I've still got all the cool paper crap we used to pick up at the Teacher's Resource Center (I may not be remembering the name of that exactly right) that was behind the Centorium. :cry:

Oh, and Jackie, what about that fabulous shirt you wore for C25? It may not be retro, but it certainly deserves to be shown off!!

brkgnews

Jenn, I don't think that's my hat, unless the dude's name is "Granny." :lookaroun
That's the name that was spelled out in little letter stickers on the back of the hat. :lol:

I'd love to know the story behind it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom