News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

James Alucobond

You are transported to their sets...

Batuu, I still think should be in a "world" of action figures, just like Toy Story.

I realize the complete movie studio theme is some-what out the window, but I think a flume ride would be too far. Backlot tour had more water than you can handle. If they want to do a water scene ride, water stunts, sure, but it shouldn't try to be real. Even a Nemo based ride would be better. You are in the movie "Nemo." Not the actual south Pacific.
As much as I would like them to be framed as hot sets, that’s not what they’ve done.

BrianLo

Could you clarify what you clarified? I'm missing the rug which pulls the room of this conversation together. :(

After the Journalist session Tom had mentioned all three franchises. That was taken as confirmation something was shown off by Imagineering we were not yet privy to, which affirmed Coco was indeed the highlighted IP for the carousel +/- inspiration for portions of the town.

Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 3.00.31 PM.png

I'm not betting some sort of identity on its presence or lack thereof. Just questioning its validity. I want to see evidence and the weird lack of true evidence is making me question it. For the theory that I've outlined already.

It was part of the land originally and has been slowly carved back out as Encanto and Coco became 'decoupled' as a singular land vision in the original project format. Though the final decoupling was to occur once the company firmed up on its commitment to Coco in Magic Kingdom, which it seems to have done so.

Centauri Space Station

It’s in the worst shape for a long time. Imag. Magic Eye. Image Works. LwtL. Seas. Wonders. SSE.

Lipstick on a pig didn’t help it.
LWTL has been getting additions every festival and a seasonal overlay, new lighting in the rainforest, etc. Seas has new signage and fixed effects, why do you think they are in the worst shape?

dreamfinding

LWTL has been getting additions every festival and a seasonal overlay, new lighting in the rainforest, etc. Seas has new signage and fixed effects, why do you think they are in the worst shape?
Agreeing here. LWTL is beloved by all and someone out there it taking care of it.

I will argue that OP is correct about all of Imagination, Magic Eye, and Wonders.

SSE is not in the best of shape, but again, someone seems to at least be maintaining it.

Centauri Space Station

Agreeing here. LWTL is beloved by all and someone out there it taking care of it.

I will argue that OP is correct about all of Imagination, Magic Eye, and Wonders.

SSE is not in the best of shape, but again, someone seems to at least be maintaining it.
I’d definitely not say SSE is in its best shape but i also think 2003-05 after AT&T dropped sponsorship and the global neighborhood sat abandoned was worse.

dreamfinding

I’d definitely not say SSE is in its best shape but i also think 2003-05 after AT&T dropped sponsorship and the global neighborhood sat abandoned was worse.
Oh SSE is in terrible shape, but I have heard there is someone who is taking care of it as far as ride maintenance goes.

It’s mind boggling to think all of those sets are still up there.

Brer Panther

Even though they are adding IPs, I can’t complain because all the IPs actually FIT in the new land without having to be modified. It also fits Animal Kingdom- we now have a Central/South America land to go along with Africa and Asia.
South America fits Animal Kingdom. Indiana Jones and Encanto do not. They are not about animals or even conservation.
I understand the complaints about Dinorama being lackluster, etc, but again, why not improve Dinoland, make it awesome, and add Tropical Americas elsewhere? They have the space. They have the money. Add capacity to the park. Dinosaurs are an eternal theme. They deserve a place in the park. To excise them completely is just crazy.
Because Disney doesn't have any popular dinosaur-themed IPs, and Iger hates rides that aren't based on IPs. That's the whole reason.

However, they own Ice Age now. If we can apparently have the Simpsons going into Hollywood Studios, I see no reason why we can't have Ice Age in Animal Kingdom.

RSoxNo1

After the Journalist session Tom had mentioned all three franchises. That was taken as confirmation something was shown off by Imagineering we were not yet privy to, which affirmed Coco was indeed the highlighted IP for the carousel +/- inspiration for portions of the town.

View attachment 790147

I'm not betting some sort of identity on its presence or lack thereof. Just questioning its validity. I want to see evidence and the weird lack of true evidence is making me question it. For the theory that I've outlined already.

It was part of the land originally and has been slowly carved back out as Encanto and Coco became 'decoupled' as a singular land vision in the original project format. Though the final decoupling was to occur once the company firmed up on its commitment to Coco in Magic Kingdom, which it seems to have done so.
Tom is spot on regarding Disney's strategy. Quite a bit of the Star Wars concept art was not released to the press either. Generally the relevant pieces of concept art are released to the media in a high resolution format. The EPCOT central spine with the floating triangles was never released and the only images that exist publicly are photos of the screen. I believe the same is true of the 3rd Galaxy's Edge attraction and a handful of other concept art from that.

_caleb

It's a theme park, not a zoo. There need to be more rides.
I like that it’s a theme park with walkthrough trails and fewer rides. I’d actually like if they’d add more trails and maybe a bit more “show” (themed/interactive set pieces) to those trails.
Until they added the River of Light show, it was an AM only park, due to the humidity from the foliage.
Nah - even with those it’s not a full day. Last time there, we walked the trails pretty slowly and still had tons of extra time — so we rode Flight five times. Safari twice. (We didn’t have park hopper.)
I’ve always heard this, but except when we get rained out, we’ve always taken a full day (or at least open to close) at AK. I guess we go slow and try to do/see/explore/eat everything.

McMickeyWorld

Deserts are not typically described as tropical even if there are deserts in the tropics.
Don't get me wrong, although Santa Cecilia with its inspirations and aesthetics does not fit the term "tropical America." Classifying Mexico as a desert is strange, especially hearing it as a Mexican. It's also important to consider that, judging by the research trip short, they are being inspired by the southern part of the country, so I don't see the problem.
méxico-mapa-climático.jpg

Twirlnhurl

Dinosaur was the fifth highest grossing film of 2000.
I did not believe you, so I had to look it up. That is absolutely crazy! The movie felt like such a flop! Disney even closed a entire movie studio over the performance of Dinosaur!
So then you're riding the same animals you just saw in Encanto? That would be like having the Dumbo spinner right outside a Dumbo ride.
One of my favorite things about Disneyland is that great little corner of Fantasyland with the Mad Tea Party next to Alice in Wonderland. I think it could work.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
State of the animatronics and effects in the boat ride. 30 year old flashing light finale. Nemo is dated and still suffers from its original slashed budget and confused theming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom