News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

J4546

I’m actually happy about the carousel now but I hope it’s not themed to Coco.
last pic i saw it looked like a generic 20+ ip carousel with animals not native to Tropical Americas....I hope they dont do that. They should put it in DSP/DAW where that terrible aladdin spinner is

RSoxNo1

While I think some additions would always be a valued thing, I would say that Epcot is largely in the best shape at the moment. Including having relatively new things to promote.

It’s in the worst shape for a long time. Imag. Magic Eye. Image Works. LwtL. Seas. Wonders. SSE.

Lipstick on a pig didn’t help it.
EPCOT is still remarkably flawed, but I also think a reasonable argument could be made that given the attraction lineup, this is the best version of the park.

I look back through the years and there was no window of time when enough of the "best versions" of EPCOT existed in the last 25 years. All of that is based on opinion, but additions of Cosmic Rewind and Ratatouille have to matter.

With all that said, they missed the mark on the Reflections of Earth replacements and if they had left well enough alone, plussed that show, and re-allocated that money elsewhere we could potentially be visiting a park with an updated SSE and a better nighttime show today. If they also had moved forward with an Imagination or Seas update (as was the plan in 2017 or so), then we'd truly be looking at the best version of the park.

Now, unfortunately they're in a position where three family friendly attractions desperately need attention (SSE, Imagination and Seas) and they probably won't have two of them closed at the same time. That and Test Track has jumped the line probably delaying any work on those 3 until after TT is completed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m actually happy about the carousel now but I hope it’s not themed to Coco.

It's likely Coco. The artist concept shows the entrance of the land looking more like Coco than Encanto. Journalists at a preview saw the carousel themed to Coco.

But, of course, that could change.

Why not have it themed to Encanto?

So then you're riding the same animals you just saw in Encanto? That would be like having the Dumbo spinner right outside a Dumbo ride.

BrianLo

I think the thing really hurting it is that they still after months have yet to confirm it and is the second blue sky plan making people hold back any excitement. Even I won't believe anything until I steel go up.

This specific project (Tropical Americas) is confirmed. Disney's more recent language is now it *is* happening rather than a possibility. Both across that Imagineering instagram Video, the media event they held earlier in the Spring and supported by permitting progress. Which I realize is just the construction and imagineering campus, but still.

Completely fair they've abandoned the ship further in progress than this. But I think the lingering weirdness had more to do with the district developer plan and their behind closed doors negotiations.

There's no reason to keep dancing around these funded projects come August. For both Florida and California.

BrianLo

It's likely Coco. The artist concept shows the entrance of the land looking more like Coco than Encanto. Journalists at a preview saw the carousel themed to Coco.

No, I clarified with Tom Bricker. It may still be Coco. Or equally possible it may have been Coco and they are hesitating on going generic as the Coco project for MK firms up.

There were a few pieces of art from the non-Indiana Jones and Encanto area of the land. Granted, they only flashed briefly, but they were not just the vague/impressionistic concept art WDI sometimes does to conceal details, and I could not clearly clock Coco in any of them.

It’s always curious to me when Disney flashes concept art on screen but doesn’t release it (same thing happened with EPCOT Central Spine 1.0 in 2017, Reflections in 2019, and more that I’m probably forgetting). I assume it’s because the exact plans for that front section haven’t fully firmed up.

That’s why I equivocated on the Coco part of this post with the line that it “seems to maybe” be part of the reimagining.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, I clarified with Tom Bricker. It may still be Coco. Or equally possible it may have been Coco and they are hesitating on going generic as the Coco project for MK firms up.
Other journalist...

D'Amaro stresses that, while not a final piece of concept art, the image — which showed the aging Dinoland U.S.A. section of the park re-themed to tropical American locales with Encanto and Coco attractions — highlights "where our heads are" as his team continues "dreaming" plans for Animal Kingdom's next big move.​

BrianLo

Other journalist...

D'Amaro stresses that, while not a final piece of concept art, the image — which showed the aging Dinoland U.S.A. section of the park re-themed to tropical American locales with Encanto and Coco attractions — highlights "where our heads are" as his team continues "dreaming" plans for Animal Kingdom's next big move.​

Yes, but this is both not a quote (an interpretation from EW) and also predates the media event that Tom attended. “Coco” has never left the lips of Josh or Bruce or any imagineer. To my knowledge.

I firmly believe the carousel was Coco. I’d go so far as to say this Carousel even existed in the Beyond Big Thunder Mountain plans. The thing got ported over to Animal Kingdom and the major Coco attraction scrapped.

Will this be a Coco Carousel when it opens? That’s still very unknown. I strongly speculate to the contrary. There’s a very clear reason why this is the case, a former project has been broken up for parts, but then they seem to want to use all the parts still

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom