News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

SilentWindODoom

Huh... Dallin really bringing the attention got Disney to shape up, huh?

In all seriousness, I haven't been on Living with the Land since this effect stopped and have no memory of it whatsoever. I thought for a sec it was being posted as a lighting failure showing the wear of the state of the ride.

I was shocked by the mention of no rain in the rainforest? I swore the effects were working in all recent video I've seen of it. But now that I look, I realize I'm thinking of the effects in the first scene. What effect is missing in the rainforest?

On Nemo, I went for the first time when it was fairly new. The Living Seas was my favorite pavilion and my earliest memories of it include the film and ride, so I was already disappointed, but on my ride a number of the scenes, most notably the EAC, looped twice while I was in them. I don't know if the ride was experiencing problems or slowed for someone with special needs loading and unloading or if that's just the usual experience.

The anglerfish is awesome, tho. Glad to check a ride-through from two years ago and finding it apparently still works.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Reminder that Coco was not set in a desert area of Mexico. And that there are areas of Mexico that are "in the tropics" as in "between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn" that are lush and green if not a "rain forest."

"Tropical Americas" covers Northern, Central, and South America. They're all "Americas."

Note that the phrase does not contain "rain forest" nor "jungle."

"Tropical" means "between the latitudes of the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

In the "Tropical Zone" you can have rain forests and you can have deserts (e.g., the Sahara). Some area have a wet season, and a dry season.

Here are Tropical rain forests from all the way from the Equator to the Tropic of Cancer....

View attachment 780940

Coco takes place in Santa Cecilia and looks like this....

View attachment 780952

Note the forests in the background. It was based on this town...

View attachment 780953

I'm sure the animators peeled back a lot of the trees so we can see the town and architecture.

I think the confusion comes from Disney constantly theming DAK to a tropical rain forest/jungle most places.

Coco is in Tropical Americas. That doesn't mean "rain forest."

In fact, Encanto doesn't seem to be in a place that qualifies as "rain forest" either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow, I never thought i'd see that effect again. It has been missing since 2014, a decade. What's going on over there that they suddenly started to show some care and attention to this attraction? Love to see it.
LwtL seems to be taking their yearly budgets to keep 'plussing' the ride. This past December, it had hour long waits at night due to its Christmas light decorations, which get plussed each year (kudos to the LwtL team that stores their decorations so well). During the year, the greenhouse keeps getting little displays tying itself to the current festival.

It seems WDW has taken note that LwtL can be popular (as in lots of people wanting to ride it) again and not always a walk-on due to lack of interest any more. They're investing in it properly.

Now, let's see if it can plus its desert scene which supposedly is still "full of life" and then actually show any of that supposed life.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I was shocked by the mention of no rain in the rainforest? I swore the effects were working in all recent video I've seen of it. But now that I look, I realize I'm thinking of the effects in the first scene. What effect is missing in the rainforest?
It used to actually "rain" inside the rainforest scene. As in real water that would sprinkle down from above and hit the roof of the boats. That's why the boats are covered with a canopy. Though I couldn't tell you when this effect stopped working, a long time ago. Not even sure if it still worked at any point during the 2000s. Certainly not during the 2010s onward.

Another long lost effect was a sand storm projection on the back wall of the desert scene. Added some kinetic energy in what was intended to be an otherwise still scene lacking in wildlife. Also don't know when this effect went missing either. Sometime prior to 2010. It was still functional after the 1993 renovation at least. Looking through old 90s and 00s videos. Still worked in some of the ones from 2002-2003. Maybe started to go missing around 04 or 05. @marni1971 may know more about this effect and when it went missing.

Incidentally, a number of the the projected spotlight-based rain effects in the first scene have also been misaligned for ages. They're supposed to project onto wires to make it appear like rain is falling. But a number of these spotlights have become misaligned and the light is missing the wires, spoiling the effect. Pretty stupidly easy thing to fix too...

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

It used to actually rain. That’s why the boats have canopies.

It used to actually "rain" inside the rainforest scene. As in real water that would sprinkle down from above and hit the roof of the boats. That's why the boats are covered with a canopy. Though I couldn't tell you when this effect stopped working, a long time ago. Not even sure if it still worked at any point during the 2000s. Certainly not during the 2010s onward.

WOW!!! I knew about the original opening scene and lost song. I can't believe I never, ever, ever knew about this. It's impossible in the videos I've seen from the 80's to be able to see such an effect. I'd thought I'd be able to tell from the sound, but the waterfalls make it impossible to tell. How long was this effect in action? With all the figures within that scene, especially the monkeys, I'm shocked they'd run this, unless it was very close to the boat so that it didn't affect them.

Another long lost effect was a sand storm projection on the back wall of the desert scene. Added some kinetic energy in what was intended to be an otherwise still scene lacking in wildlife. Also don't know when this effect went missing either. Sometime prior to 2010. It was still functional after the 1993 renovation at least. Looking through old 90s and 00s videos. Still worked in some of the ones from 2002-2003. Maybe started to go missing around 04 or 05. @marni1971 may know more about this effect and when it went missing.

Incidentally, a number of the the projected spotlight-based rain effects in the first scene have also been misaligned for ages. They're supposed to project onto wires to make it appear like rain is falling. But a number of these spotlights have become misaligned and the light is missing the wires, spoiling the effect. Pretty stupidly easy thing to fix too...

Double wow. It's strange to see the fire going while the sandstorm seems so much more important. I figured the wind was to evoke the emptiness. Perhaps they're just getting each thing on-line when hey have time and money. If you hadn't said anything, I'd have assumed it was film imperfection on old videos.

aladdin2007

Wow, I never thought i'd see that effect again. It has been missing since 2014, a decade. What's going on over there that they suddenly started to show some care and attention to this attraction? Love to see it.

There's a pretty large damaged chunk of the wall touching the ceiling in the desert scene. If they haven't already fixed that, then it should be a priority. Most videos don't show it due to lighting and camera angles, but it's very noticeable in person. That ceiling there also needs cleaning and repainting as it's covered in mold.

I also can't remember the last time the doors to the greenhouse worked. Maybe close to when this fire effect stopped working.

And yeah last I checked the animal figures are still sluggish (some static) and need some love.
This, Im stunned, I had no idea that returned.....but that ending has got to get changed after 30 years. Modern day disney would just put black curtains across sadly.

BrianLo

Back on the topic of Tropical America’s I wonder what the budget is for this project?

I'm not sure what they spent on TBA. One of those budgets, plus a new E-ticket and overlays. I feel like it *should* come in 40-50% cheaper than SWGE. But imagineering's spending is a Pandora's box.

dreamfinding

I feel like the scuttlebutt was $100-200M
Different situation, but wasn’t Cosmic Rewind rumored to be 500 million?

I know it’s not entirely comparable because CR had a whole new building, had to gut another building, and an entire new track.

I wonder about MMRR? Or even what Test Track 3.0 is going to run? (different expectations there, because someone else is footing the bill).

Karakasa

How much you got?
I got $5 and half a PB&J sandwich
charlie-i-got-a-rock.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom