News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

BrianLo

There's a lot of infrastructure being re-utilized and an entire ride being re-utilized. Very little Rock work. While Encanto sounds like it could be lovely, I'd be surprised if it was remotely on the scale of Rise.

Which is to say if it costs the same as Galaxies Edge, something is very, very wrong. I feel like it will come in cheaper than Pandora as well, inevitably.

This is what's probably letting the budgeting also justify a Lion King attraction.

dreamfinding

There's a lot of infrastructure being re-utilized and an entire ride being re-utilized. Very little Rock work. While Encanto sounds like it could be lovely, I'd be surprised if it was remotely on the scale of Rise.

Which is to say if it costs the same as Galaxies Edge, something is very, very wrong. I feel like it will come in cheaper than Pandora as well, inevitably.
Pandoras was what - $500 million? Not exactly apples to apples here, but that’s the same rumored cost as Cosmic Rewind.

I can see 500 million being more realistic for the project, even if there has to be a new show building. I know a lot of it depends on what actually had to be done to the inside of buildings, tracks, queue space, show elements, etc.

I guess a lot of it has to do with exactly what type of attractions are being built.

lazyboy97o

Pandoras was what - $500 million? Not exactly apples to apples here, but that’s the same rumored cost as Cosmic Rewind.

I can see 500 million being more realistic for the project, even if there has to be a new show building. I know a lot of it depends on what actually had to be done to the inside of buildings, tracks, queue space, show elements, etc.

I guess a lot of it has to do with exactly what type of attractions are being built.
Pandora was closer to a billion.

You are way over estimated the costs of a building.

dreamfinding

Pandora was closer to a billion.

You are way over estimated the costs of a building.
Lucille Bluth Banana GIF

Nickm2022

I feel like they're treating Animal Kingdom like EPCOT in 2019 (before all of it was cut). Where instead of everything being budgeted separately (as it should be) it's a budget for any new expansion. Just like how the EPCOT overhaul was initially $1 billion (from my knowledge until it inflated massively), I feel like anything new coming to Animal Kingdom, ie Lion King, Tropical Americas, and Drone show, are all bundled apart of a $1 billion spendature and the money will move around depending on where its needed.

MerlinTheGoat

I know we never get accurate numbers, but Tiana’s had to be at least 10 million, probably more.
The plans early on were in the ballpark of $30-$40 million. As ridiculous as it may seem after seeing the finished product, what was built is apparently far more ambitious than those early plans. I think Frozen at Epcot cost around $70 million or so (though this number may include the new restroom and meet and greet building they built next door, plus they altered and extended the track slightly at the beginning which may have been costly). I don't know the exact budget for Tiana either, but I would assume probably at least $100 million. Though definitely far less than what it cost to build Cosmic Rewind ($500 million).

dreamfinding

The plans early on were in the ballpark of $30-$40 million. As ridiculous as it may seem after seeing the finished product, what was built is apparently far more ambitious than those early plans.
Part of me is trying to imagine what the 30 million version of the ride would be as opposed to the final product.

MerlinTheGoat

Part of me is trying to imagine what the 30 million version of the ride would be as opposed to the final product.
I'd assume even more hollowed out empty sets, this time with far less fake foliage, far more video screens of characters, probably no critters at all (maybe a couple of entirely static plastic 3D printed props) and a far tinier population of AA's. Probably of the face/eye projected variety. Or perhaps a 100% video based ride with no AA's at all and little to no physical scenery whatsoever...

My guess is that a significant amount of the budget went towards the purchase of the fake greenery and especially the small handful of A1000 animatronics. A1000's in particular are reportedly EXTREMELY expensive, so I could see them chewing through a lot of cash.

That said, I also wonder how much of the budget they blew on their "research" trips, consulting fees and similar.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I did not believe you, so I had to look it up. That is absolutely crazy! The movie felt like such a flop! Disney even closed a entire movie studio over the performance of Dinosaur!

One of my favorite things about Disneyland is that great little corner of Fantasyland with the Mad Tea Party next to Alice in Wonderland. I think it could work.
It didn't recoup its costs of production and marketing so it was technically a failure as it lost money

bwr827

I'd assume even more hollowed out empty sets, this time with far less fake foliage, far more video screens of characters, probably no critters at all (maybe a couple of entirely static plastic 3D printed props) and a far tinier population of AA's. Probably of the face/eye projected variety. Or perhaps a 100% video based ride with no AA's at all and little to no physical scenery whatsoever...

My guess is that a significant amount of the budget went towards the purchase of the fake greenery and especially the small handful of A1000 animatronics. A1000's in particular are reportedly EXTREMELY expensive, so I could see them chewing through a lot of cash.

That said, I also wonder how much of the budget they blew on their "research" trips, consulting fees and similar.
I wonder what extremely expensive means. Like $1M each?

MerlinTheGoat

I wonder what extremely expensive means. Like $1M each?
No idea, and i'd also like to know. Might be well above that amount. There are 14 of them from my count, that, $14 million seems kind of low if that's truly where all the money went (which it may not have been). And i'm sure they didn't all cost the same either, Louis in particular was probably pricier than Tiana and Mama Odie.

dreamfinding

No idea, and i'd also like to know. Might be well above that amount. There are 14 of them from my count, that, $14 million seems kind of low if that's truly where all the money went (which it may not have been). And i'm sure they didn't all cost the same either, Louis in particular was probably pricier than Tiana and Mama Odie.
I’d love to have a price comparison chart of a MMRR AA, Frozen Ever After Elsa AA, and a TBA Louis AA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom