Ellen's Energy Adventure refurbishment in 2009

WDW1974

Energy was the first example of the dumbing down of Epcot when they added Ellen ... and I really like her having had the pleasure to meet/speak with her a few times.

But boy does that show feel so dated ... and in no way as grand as the original.

Considering that energy and global warming are huge issues in 2008, you'd think they might find a way to update the pavilion appropriately.

This seems to me to likely be another of those 'Oh (expletive not inserted) we need to shut this attraction down and do (fill in the blank) or this thing is going to fall apart!' and not anything more.

RSoxNo1

Energy was the first example of the dumbing down of Epcot when they added Ellen ... and I really like her having had the pleasure to meet/speak with her a few times.

But boy does that show feel so dated ... and in no way as grand as the original.

Considering that energy and global warming are huge issues in 2008, you'd think they might find a way to update the pavilion appropriately.

This seems to me to likely be another of those 'Oh (expletive not inserted) we need to shut this attraction down and do (fill in the blank) or this thing is going to fall apart!' and not anything more.

I actually think that the message in this ride has to be dumbed down. Without getting too political, so many people in this country believe that more oil is the one and only answer to our energy problems. This ride goes into the pros and cons of most of our options, discusses how much of each we have in reserve, and does so without being preachy. Ellen is still relevant (although I agree her animatronic is horrible). The biggest problem in my mind is that the dinosaur portion of this ride doesn't make as much sense as it used to. I wouldn't mind the slow moving ride portion if it was perhaps replaced with other scenes, or if the Dinosaurs were made to be more relevant.

imagineer boy

I do like the current show. I always thought it was clever and entertaining. But with that said, it is truly very dated and simply needs to be changed.

LordHelmut

So, have you actually *seen* the original ?

Having recently acquired the Martin Energy tribute (you're the man !) it is hard to compare the current attraction to the one presently. The story really was established in the pre-show (yup folks, the preshow was educational, get over it) There were a number of effects with the flipping screens that just were cool.

I had almost forgot how cohesive the entire show was compared to the present.

FWIW, yes, oil is a primary energy/feedstock source for now and the foreseeable future. Why (well if you saw the *original* attraction you'd know why), so called 'alternative' energy just doesn't have the availability, energy density or cost effectiveness of oil.

Of course I could be wrong...

KaliSplash

Actually, I always thought Ellen's "story" brought cohesiveness the original attraction lacked. Only bad part, doing away with the original songs. At least this version has a story, albeit an aging story.

hpyhnt 1000

Well, some attenetion is better than none at all. Still, a complete refurb would be nice, but that doesn't appear to be happening for the moment. :(

GatorGambit

I'm glad this is getting some TLC. I'd imagine we're just getting alot of nagging issues fixed (curtains, ride system, audio, general cleaning, etc.)

I do miss the original UoE, though. How else would I have learned that oil shale is the rock that burns!

b94ronman

was there in october and the ride stopped mid show - everyone was removed and the ride never opened again the rest of the week. so it certainly needs some maintenance.

1disneydood

I just hope they don't put touchscreens that slap your pic on a Terrance and Phillip flapperhead cartoon about energy. :brick:
(No offence to Canada, I was only referring to the type of anamation on SSE's touchscreen. :lol: ) :lookaroun:D:animwink:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This thread is so cool.

Or hot.

Or hotly cool.

Or cooly hot.

:king:

is that like:

Cartman: You have a heart made of ice, Mr. Lucas, and so we're goin' tuh melt your icy heart... with a cool island song.

Stan: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I thought we were gonna cool his hot heart with a cool island song.

Cartman: ...No, he has an icy heart.

Kyle: ...But you can't melt ice with a cool song, 'tardheart.

Stan: So we have to warm his icy heart with a "hot" island song

Cartman: It's a cool island song.

Kyle: Well then we're gonna end up freezing his hellish heart with a cool island song.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
:veryconfu

Exactly.

Anyway. The movie needs to be updated. It has a heavy pro fossil fuel(s) slant to it. This was done for Exxon's benefit, of course. However.. since they are no longer around (as sponsor)... I think the film should be updated to where we currently stand with fossil fuels and alternative energies. We have made great strides in solar, and hybrid technologies alone.

EPCOT Explorer

is that like:

Cartman: You have a heart made of ice, Mr. Lucas, and so we're goin' tuh melt your icy heart... with a cool island song.

Stan: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I thought we were gonna cool his hot heart with a cool island song.

Cartman: ...No, he has an icy heart.

Kyle: ...But you can't melt ice with a cool song, 'tardheart.

Stan: So we have to warm his icy heart with a "hot" island song

Cartman: It's a cool island song.

Kyle: Well then we're gonna end up freezing his hellish heart with a cool island song.
Yes.:lol::lol:

Exactly.

Anyway. The movie needs to be updated. It has a heavy pro fossil fuel(s) slant to it. This was done for Exxon's benefit, of course. However.. since they are no longer around (as sponsor)... I think the film should be updated to where we currently stand with fossil fuels and alternative energies. We have made great strides in solar, and hybrid technologies alone.
Honestly, I think UoE should be sponcerless. That way, no Oil Agenda and a unbiased show from WDI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom