DTD's Marketplace Complete?

vonpluto

Oh, you can't leave us hanging like that!

*boo* *hiss* :p

Maybe he's hinting at something like this:

Picture-12.jpg

:shrug:

lebeau

actually I'm hearing info that will break your heart. Only time will tell which of us gets what he wants!

Is it something like this:

(from the Save Pleasure Island Blog):

The chains that kept spectators away from Mannequins, 8TRAX and Soundstage doors have also been removed. What does it all mean? Amid rumors of Mannequins, Orlando Harley and 8TRAX being turned into a large restaurant, amid sightings of Disney managers touring the closed clubs and amid rumors that Hyperion Wharf may have been indefinitely postponed if not outright cancelled, we don't really know! It's a story the Blog is working on! Maybe someone just forgot to turn off the lights.

flavious27

I mentioned this on another thread, but I will try to expand on it here. Before we had kids we loved PI. Now that we have little ones, we stopped going there. However once my kids are grown, I would love to have PI back. IMO, PI was ruined when they took the admission gates down.

I understand the traffic flow issues to the Westside, but that is not why the Westside has not reached its full potential. It has not reached its full potential b/c of the lack of shops that appeal to a majority of people. I for one don't want to buy magnets or magic props while on vacation at Disney. If I don't have tix for Cirque or reservations for HOB there is no reason to go there.

I fear that the Marketplace is heading down hill as well. The lure of the Marketplace (regardless of its origins) is (was) the shops that SCREAMED Disney. I go to DisneyWorld to be immersed in Disney, not to shop at a place that feels like an upscale outlet mall. I enjoyed the Gourmet Pantry before it became the Earl of Sandwich. I enjoy Team Disney. I enjoyed Pooh's Corner. I enjoy the WOD (even though I feel that this megastore is allowing TDO to get more 3rd party vendors, b/c the Disneyesque stores are closing one by one).

Once there are only third party vendors at Downtown Disney, there will be no need for me to go there.

It would help the west end if DQ was a destination again. Also, how about more entertainment options like house of blues?

Buried20KLeague

IMO, PI was ruined when they took the admission gates down.

That's really not your opinion. That's complete fact, and dead on accurate.

Anyone who thinks the demise of PI isn't directly connected to taking the admission gates down is fooling themselves. But they seem to do a lot of that.

71jason

The site that can't be named reconfirmed yesterday that it is happening. Sorry to dissapoint you.

Out of curiosity, can you give more of a hint which site you're referring to? I follow quite a few, seen no news other than Bob's update on Save PI.

71jason

That's really not your opinion. That's complete fact, and dead on accurate.

Anyone who thinks the demise of PI isn't directly connected to taking the admission gates down is fooling themselves. But they seem to do a lot of that.

I think there were other factors as well (staleness, gutting of live entertainement), but no question that was #1. It showed a shift in focus on what the area should be, ruined the atmosphere that had been created there.

Buried20KLeague

I think there were other factors as well (staleness, gutting of live entertainement), but no question that was #1. It showed a shift in focus on what the area should be, ruined the atmosphere that had been created there.

Agreed. I wasn't saying it was the sole reason... Just that it was directly connected.

flavious27

:D

:animwink:

nice. I think it is pointless now to argue that much about what caused PI to be closed down, I bet there are thousands of posts and hundreds of threads arguing the same 5 or 7 points. It sucks that something unique in the parks is gone, without a real replacement for it, but we can not do much outside of refusing to spend money in anything new on PI.

lebeau

Wow. I've been digging around Save Please Island and there are at least a couple hints and rumors that Hyperion Wharf is in trouble. There's even a suggestion or two that Disney may be looking into reopening some clubs. :eek:

Can't wait to see how this plays out!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow. I've been digging around Save Please Island and there are at least a couple hints and rumors that Hyperion Wharf is in trouble. There's even a suggestion or two that Disney may be looking into reopening some clubs. :eek:

Well, thank goodness DTD's Marketplace is complete then.....:rolleyes:

TP2000

"The Warf" is a figment of your imagination. A few pieces of vague concept art from months ago. The facts are staring you in the face. There is nothing coming. Sorry.

I've been skimming this thread today, and I'm trying to figure out if this is actually the case, or if I missed something....

After shuttering Pleasure Island a few years ago, Hyperion Wharf was announced at a small media event back in November, 2010. But the announcement had no real info on any actual store or restaurant to inhabit this new concept. Six months later, and there still has been no announcements on any major new store or restaurant that will be a tenant in Hyperion Wharf. Disney has continued to demolish a few of the old nightclubs, but a few of them still sit there in mothballs. No major construction work on anything other than "seed and mulch" has begun.

So.... Hyperion Wharf is heading towards a Flamingo Crossings type status in purgatory? It was announced six months ago in a very vague sort of way, and then it's just sort of sat there with only some basic land clearing and infrastructure work completed and no tenants announced.

Is that about where we are with this Hyperion Wharf thing? More energy seems to have been spent on this thread than on actual Hyperion Wharf construction. :rolleyes:

menamechris

Wow - I guess maybe they shouldn't have dismantled the AC so quickly then... :rolleyes:

jt04

Original Poster
I've been skimming this thread today, and I'm trying to figure out if this is actually the case, or if I missed something....

After shuttering Pleasure Island a few years ago, Hyperion Wharf was announced at a small media event back in November, 2010. But the announcement had no real info on any actual store or restaurant to inhabit this new concept. Six months later, and there still has been no announcements on any major new store or restaurant that will be a tenant in Hyperion Wharf. Disney has continued to demolish a few of the old nightclubs, but a few of them still sit there in mothballs. No major construction work on anything other than "seed and mulch" has begun.

So.... Hyperion Wharf is heading towards a Flamingo Crossings type status in purgatory? It was announced six months ago in a very vague sort of way, and then it's just sort of sat there with only some basic land clearing and infrastructure work completed and no tenants announced.

Is that about where we are with this Hyperion Wharf thing? More energy seems to have been spent on this thread than on actual Hyperion Wharf construction. :rolleyes:

As I have mentioned a few times this in some ways is more complicated than DCA for example. At DCA Disney can close what they want when they want. They can put up construction walls as they see fit etc. HW has to balance the needs of third party tenants and I am sure that leads to tough negotiations at times. It is entirely possible Harley requested a delay in order to complete their move. Disney could probably play hardball but the fact Lego stayed indicates to me they would rather not offend anyone.

flavious27

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom