DTD's Marketplace Complete?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is not win-win because it will drive potential cutomers away from the retail districts and from the AMC and Disney Quest and T-Rex and RFC. It is a self defeating strategy that would only appeal to a small but vocal audience that does not have much disposable income in this economy.

Bringing clubs back to DTD would be nuts. Steve essentially confirmed HW is happening yesterday.

I'm calling shenanigans on this SPI news. Someone's gotta do it. :lol:
Nearly ever single night I spent at PI was preceded by dinner at one of the restaurants at DTD. A considerable number of PI patrons did the same thing. Now, I only go there when there are no other options. The only thing that remotely draws me to DTD is Raglan rd.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I think there is little doubt Steve has insider contacts.

If Raven confirmed third parties are reopening the dance clubs I would believe it then.

Then I would start planning my next vacation to a National Park instead of WDW. :lol:

as I said before, only time will tell which of us gets our way.

Ignohippo

If the clubs are done right they wouldn't affect HW or PI in a negative way at all.

For instance, if they could turn it into a restaurant, and appeal to an all-ages crowd most of the day, I could see The Adventurer's Club being the most popular spot in DTD (they would probably need to take over the entire building in order for it to work). Similar theming for the other clubs (appealing to all-ages during the day), would be great for DTD.

By re-opening the old businesses (and converting them into something that could be open to all ages during the day), they create life in the area make it much more appealing for potential new offerings. Eventually, you'd close the clubs one by one as demand for the space from third parties increases.

This should've been Disney's plan with the former PI from the time they decided to close the clubs. I think they had the right idea in converting PI, they've just gone about it in the wrong way.

flavious27

Now admittedly it's been a few years since I've bothered visiting Downtown Disney at WDW, but what would those two stores have to do with turning Pleasure Island into Hyperion Wharf? Isn't the Harley store in the Westside, and the Lego store in the Marketplace? Even if those two shops are on the Island, any landlord worth their jangling key ring would have a basic lease agreement that allows for construction or mall renovation to take place on nearby land without protest of the tenant.

If Mannequins and 8Trax and Rock N' Roll Beach Club and the Adventurers Club, etc. all closed years ago, what would stop Disney from getting Hyperion Wharf off the ground in their place if Landry's or any other restauranteur really did want to build and operate a restaurant (or six, or eight) in Hyperion Wharf?

I just checked YouTube and there's a 2 minute video from six months ago that is now a bit painful to watch. It features Keith Bradford as the President of Downtown Disney kickin' back for the camera and bragging about how cool Hyperion Wharf will be and how it will bring over a thousand new jobs to Central Florida. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQNxIJw7fM

I'm thinking there's a pretty good story behind the scenes here involving some corporate intrigue and a healthy dose of drama and disappointment. Seriously, it's been six months since Keith Bradford put on his sport coat and announced this thing.... where is it?

Does it really count as 600 added jobs for restaurants and retail when you closed viable business that employed close to that number?

jt04

Original Poster
Please let the clubs open...

:ROFLOL:

A dozen comedians are unemployed because the clubs failed to turn a profit because of narrow demos and then took the CW and AC with them. And now everyone wants to be a comedian. :brick:

How bout we leave that to the real comedians some of you cheapskates caused to get unemployed. :rolleyes:

MAF

Actually one of the reasons the comedy club failed was because idiots brought their children into the club. They had to censor their comedy and dumb it down for the kiddies. But wait, I'm sure the decline in attendence was due to all of the people being killed off from drunk driving... :lol:

jt04

Original Poster
Actually one of the reasons the comedy club failed was because idiots brought their children into the club. They had to censor their comedy and dumb it down for the kiddies. But wait, I'm sure the decline in attendence was due to all of the people being killed off from drunk driving... :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure that is what it was. :rolleyes:

flavious27

People brought their kids to a comedy club? :eek:

I bet these are the same people that did not see a problem bringing their kids to see Saw.

Master Gracey

A dozen comedians are unemployed because the clubs failed to turn a profit because of narrow demos and then took the CW and AC with them. And now everyone wants to be a comedian. :brick:

How bout we leave that to the real comedians some of you cheapskates caused to get unemployed. :rolleyes:

Not true. The actors from the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse were relocated inside of Walt Disney World, mostly into Citizens of Hollywood, American Idol Experience, World Showcase Players, Capt. Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial and The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue. Nice try though.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

raven

Not true. The actors from the Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse were relocated inside of Walt Disney World, mostly into Citizens of Hollywood, American Idol Experience, World Showcase Players, Capt. Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial and The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue. Nice try though.

Well, they had to audition just like everyone else. They weren't just handed their new roles.

71jason

From what I've read in numerous places, all PI clubs were profitable.

To keep the debate honest, most were.

Comedy Warehouse wasn't because of the show schedule--at best, you could sell one drink per guest per show. BET wasn't because it never seemed to click with its target audience.

But yes, the rest were.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom