DTD's Marketplace Complete?

jt04

Original Poster
Name another one? Where people could converge for food, shopping, and entertainment? The Greeks called it an Agora. Start there and move forward a couple thousand years, you'll find one or two establishments along the lines of what DTD is hoping to accomplish. Nothing new, and certainly nothing exciting. Then again, the Greeks probably didn't have seed and mulch. Columns perhaps, but not seed and mulch (unless the former was for planting)....

And it appears that what we know about HW is nothing more than wrecking balls, artist's renditions and rumors. Again, not much different than your usual suburban outdoor shopping project.

Disney formally announced Hyperion Wharf. Far more than a "rumor". Much more formal than FC. FC was always dependent on outside interests. HW not so much. Comparing the two is a trick and those trying it are rather transparent.

Again, name a place that has a mix like DTD does in one place anywhere else. The reason you didn't is you can't.

From its own Cirque show to all the Disney offerings to DQ to HoB to T-Rex to the balloon and on and on. The are not all unique offerings necessarily but having them all in one location in such a beautiful setting is unique. And they still are probably only half finished.

PS Before you lump me in with the crowd that wants the AC gone, I have always thought it and the Comedy Warehouse should stay and are perfect for the area. And I have said so several times.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Disney formally announced Hyperion Wharf. Far more than a "rumor". Much more formal than FC. FC was always dependent on outside interests. HW not so much. Comparing the two is a trick and those trying it are rather transparent.

Again, name a place that has a mix like DTD does in one place anywhere else. The reason you didn't is you can't.

From its own Cirque show to all the Disney offerings to DQ to HoB to T-Rex to the balloon and on and on. The are not all unique offerings necessarily but having them all in one location in such a beautiful setting is unique. And they still are probably only half finished.

Disney has named any number of projects that either never came to fruition, or were changed during their progress. HW is just another one in that list. All you have are pretty pictures and rumors of restaurants "maybe" coming in. What you've gotten is demolition and shops being shuffled around....

And actually, I didn't name any because the list is simply too long to itemize. But DTD is not unique, nor will be HW whenever it is supposedly done. And let's face it, there's more than one HoB or Cirque out there.

Get back to me when HW has moved beyond the sod and mulch scene (and demolition). Until then Disney is just blowing smoke up everyone's , and hoping no one will notice.

jt04

Original Poster
Ever been to International Drive?

Seriously, no disrespect intended but there is absolutely no paralells between the two areas. You really had to experience the WDW Village and the early days of the Empress Lily to 'get' DTD I think. Comparring it to Int Drive or Reston Center is a real stretch.

Disney has named any number of projects that either never came to fruition, or were changed during their progress. HW is just another one in that list. All you have are pretty pictures and rumors of restaurants "maybe" coming in. What you've gotten is demolition and shops being shuffled around....

And actually, I didn't name any because the list is simply too long to itemize. But DTD is not unique, nor will be HW whenever it is supposedly done. And let's face it, there's more than one HoB or Cirque out there.

Get back to me when HW has moved beyond the sod and mulch scene (and demolition). Until then Disney is just blowing smoke up everyone's , and hoping no one will notice.

I believe you are completely wrong but I hope there is a nice breeze out there on that limb.

Again though, where is there a HoB and a one-of-a-kind Cirque show and a Disney Quest within feet of each other? And that is just a small slice of DTD.

PS I have seen the Cirque show and BMG at UNI and if I were to go back and see one or the other it would be Cirque without a doubt. Excellent!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I believe you are completely wrong but I hope there is a nice breeze out there on that limb.

Again though, where is there a HoB and a one-of-a-kind Cirque show and a Disney Quest within feet of each other? And that is just a small slice of DTD.

PS I have seen the Cirque show and BMG at UNI and if I were to go back and see one or the other it would be Cirque without a doubt. Excellent!

Considering there's yet to be any new restaurant announcements or construction of the vaunted amphitheater, I'm fine.

And while it's enclosed, the Mall of America has an amusement park inside it's walls, along with the requisite restaurants and shopping. And a little closer to my home, Atlantic Station is an outdoor establishment of shops, dining, and entertainment. Including Cirque for extended annual visits, the circus, volleyball and other events throughout the year. So no, HW is truly not original in the least.

menamechris

Seriously, no disrespect intended but there is absolutely no paralells between the two areas. You really had to experience the WDW Village and the early days of the Empress Lily to 'get' DTD I think. Comparring it to Int Drive or Reston Center is a real stretch.

Is that in your opinion?

And you didn't answer me. Have you ever actually been to International Drive?

jt04

Original Poster
Is that in your opinion?

And you didn't answer me. Have you ever actually been to International Drive?

Yes, many times, the first time being 1976 or so. I have watched it change over the years and I like that it seems to be about to go through another building phase.

Actually I believe the reality of the new D&B has Disney tweaking HW. Likely for the better. The arms race is on hopefully.

flavious27

Name another place like it? The original Village's purpose was to allow third parties on property. Same with the hotels nearby. I have figured out there are two camps here at least. Those that experienced the pre-Pleasure Island days and those that did not. I think those that experienced the complete transition of the area from the beginning have a better understanding of the potential that was lost when PI was dropped into the mix.

HW would allow the best of both of these offerings. The more WDW Village aspects during daytime hours and offerings in the evening that are more PI like especially as the evening passes. Done in a way as to not run families off just as they are leaving the parks. I think offerings such as ElecTRONica have proven that it is possible to please everyone.

It appears to me that with what we know about Hyperion Wharf, this is exactly what Disney is aiming for. Genius.

I don't have a problem with the village and west end being filled with third party vendors, it makes sense and makes DTD viable. My problem is getting rid of what PI offered and replacing it with just restaurants that are FF. The excuses for getting rid of PI does not match with what dtd management could have done to keep PI and improving DTD.

This is what they could have done to bridge the gap without opening up PI:

frontrestrow.png

flavious27

Name another one? Where people could converge for food, shopping, and entertainment? The Greeks called it an Agora. Start there and move forward a couple thousand years, you'll find one or two establishments along the lines of what DTD is hoping to accomplish. Nothing new, and certainly nothing exciting. Then again, the Greeks probably didn't have seed and mulch. Columns perhaps, but not seed and mulch (unless the former was for planting)....

And it appears that what we know about HW is nothing more than wrecking balls, artist's renditions and rumors. Again, not much different than your usual suburban outdoor shopping project.

It has already been built and been open for over two decades, Reston Town Center. There is retail, offices, hotels, and also entertainment space.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It has already been built and been open for over two decades, Reston Town Center. There is retail, offices, hotels, and also entertainment space.

I have been to RTC, was there at it's opening. It wasn't relevant to the point I was trying to make, however....

jt04

Original Poster
Oh, ok, gotcha. That makes complete sense... :hammer:

People are not going to use Int Drive the way they experience DTD. There is no way. I can't see what you are getting at anyway. Now maybe there is something pending I don't know about in addition to D&B's but I just don't see it having the appeal or the same customer base as DTD. This entire topic is a non-starter with me so perhaps someone else will join in and indulge you.

I think D&B will do fine, and perhaps help spur other growth in the area. But I just don't do apples and oranges comparissons with any interest.

jt04

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with the village and west end being filled with third party vendors, it makes sense and makes DTD viable. My problem is getting rid of what PI offered and replacing it with just restaurants that are FF. The excuses for getting rid of PI does not match with what dtd management could have done to keep PI and improving DTD.

This is what they could have done to bridge the gap without opening up PI:

frontrestrow.png

It is a balancing act. And I think HW will strike that balance well. Clubs and Disney just don't mix. Don't be suprised to see Universal make the same decision eventually. But that will only help Orlando in the long term.

jt04

Original Poster
:lookaroun

I just don't see it. I don't see the Mall of America analog either. I realize you think there is a similarity but I don't agree. I can't make it any clearer than that.

The only thing I have seen that is even in the ballpark is the Westminster Promenade near Denver but even that is a pale comparisson.

Some of you are just in denial as to just how unique the WDW DTD is. The DL version does not even rate next to it. Sorry.

menamechris

I just don't see it. I don't see the Mall of America analog either. I realize you think there is a similarity but I don't agree. I can't make it any clearer than that.

The only thing I have seen that is even in the ballpark is the Westminster Promenade near Denver but even that is a pale comparisson.

Some of you are just in denial as to just how unique the WDW DTD is. The DL version does not even rate next to it. Sorry.

You certainly are excited about it. In fact, I think you show as much enthusiasm and child-like wonder for DTD as most people do for the parks themselves. I don't mean to take that magical feeling away from you, but to the majority of us - it's still just some shops and restaurants... It's not denial. Just the reality of it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Of course, everyone else is in denial. Of course, I'm willing to bet you've never been to MoA, Reston Town Center or Atlantic Station. Of course, you haven't been to DtD in how many years?

Again, let me know when they stop shuffling stores around, actually announce new restaurants coming in, and actually put something in that doesn't need watering....

jt04

Original Poster
Of course, everyone else is in denial. Of course, I'm willing to bet you've never been to MoA, Reston Town Center or Atlantic Station. Of course, you haven't been to DtD in how many years?

Again, let me know when they stop shuffling stores around, actually announce new restaurants coming in, and actually put something in that doesn't need watering....

I keep saying the same about DCA.

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom