DTD's Marketplace Complete?

menamechris

I just checked YouTube and there's a 2 minute video from six months ago that is now a bit painful to watch. It features Keith Bradford as the President of Downtown Disney kickin' back for the camera and bragging about how cool Hyperion Wharf will be and how it will bring over a thousand new jobs to Central Florida. :eek:

Wow, I hadn't seen that video. How awkward.

I'm thinking there's a pretty good story behind the scenes here involving some corporate intrigue and a healthy dose of drama and disappointment. Seriously, it's been six months since Keith Bradford put on his sport coat and announced this thing.... where is it?

I agree. And weren't we told this thing would be open in 2013? Tick tock, tick tock...

menamechris

Lots of disclaimers that this is an unverified rumor, but it does make sense. And next to Disney re-opening the clubs themselves, this seems like the best possible outcome.

*crossing my fingers*

That's pretty amazing. If this is true, I can't imagine it happening without some pink slips being distributed....

jt04

Original Poster
Here's the latest from the Save Pleasure Island Blog:

PI Update: New Rumor Says Further Demolitions Cancelled & Clubs Could Reopen!

Lots of disclaimers that this is an unverified rumor, but it does make sense. And next to Disney re-opening the clubs themselves, this seems like the best possible outcome.

*crossing my fingers*

Let me guess, they are claiming the clubs are returning even though two of them no longer exist. From denial to delusion. :rolleyes: And the whiff of desperation.

I have my fingers crossed too that the amazing Hyperion Wharf will be built.:)

There is a possibility I thought of. That the concept made the folks at corporate take notice and they have appropriated the idea for inside a theme park somewhere. China? Japan? Paris? The Studios?

lebeau

Let me guess, they are claiming the clubs are returning even though two of them no longer exist. From denial to delusion. :rolleyes: And the whiff of desperation.

I have my fingers crossed too that the amazing Hyperion Wharf will be built.:)

There is a possibility I thought of. That the concept made the folks at corporate take notice and they have appropriated the idea for inside a theme park somewhere. China? Japan? Paris? The Studios?

If you read it, you won't have to guess.

But yes, there is hope that the remaining clubs could be reopened by third parties. But they could not be opened exactly as they were when they closed (Disney daving face for closing them in the first place?) They can be similar, but not identical.

Sounds to me like Disney is getting desperate for thrid parties and has more or less decided to let them do whatever they want even if it means reopening the clubs with different names. As long as the rent gets paid and Disney can save face, what do they care.

Sounds like a win-win to me if any third parties are actually interested in operating clubs on Disney property.

jt04

Original Poster
If you read it, you won't have to guess.

But yes, there is hope that the remaining clubs could be reopened by third parties. But they could not be opened exactly as they were when they closed (Disney daving face for closing them in the first place?) They can be similar, but not identical.

Sounds to me like Disney is getting desperate for thrid parties and has more or less decided to let them do whatever they want even if it means reopening the clubs with different names. As long as the rent gets paid and Disney can save face, what do they care.

Sounds like a win-win to me if any third parties are actually interested in operating clubs on Disney property.

It is not win-win because it will drive potential cutomers away from the retail districts and from the AMC and Disney Quest and T-Rex and RFC. It is a self defeating strategy that would only appeal to a small but vocal audience that does not have much disposable income in this economy.

Bringing clubs back to DTD would be nuts. Steve essentially confirmed HW is happening yesterday.

I'm calling shenanigans on this SPI news. Someone's gotta do it. :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Steve provided photos showing that construction on the park area in the HW concept art has begun. Nothing more, nothing less.....

menamechris

Steve provided photos showing that construction on the park area in the HW concept art has begun. Nothing more, nothing less.....

Seriously! When did taking and posting some photos qualify as releasing inside information? Or confirming anything other than dirt has been moved?

jt04

Original Poster

Seriously! When did taking and posting some photos qualify as releasing inside information? Or confirming anything other than dirt has been moved?

I have been around this site long enough to know that Steve would not start a thread highlighting the progress of something unless he had specific information. And his thread yesterday was specific. Hyperion Wharf is a go.:sohappy:

And I am still trying to figure out who you are menamechris. I have a feeling you are a former member. Give me time. :cool:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have been around this site long enough to know that Steve would not start a thread highlighting the progress of something unless he had specific information. And his thread yesterday was specific. Hyperion Wharf is a go.:sohappy:

And I am still trying to figure out who you are menamechris. I have a feeling you are a former member. Give me time. :cool:

Steve provides information and photos as they become available. He doesn't extrapolate anything out of that information, unlike others....

jt04

Original Poster
Steve provides information and photos as they become available. He doesn't extrapolate anything out of that information, unlike others....

I think there is little doubt Steve has insider contacts.

If Raven confirmed third parties are reopening the dance clubs I would believe it then.

Then I would start planning my next vacation to a National Park instead of WDW. :lol:

71jason

It is not win-win because it will drive potential cutomers away from the retail districts and from the AMC and Disney Quest and T-Rex and RFC. It is a self defeating strategy that would only appeal to a small but vocal audience that does not have much disposable income in this economy.

How in the world would this hurt AMC? If anything, proximity to clubs has only helped the CityWalk branch. It would also be a boon for Raglan Road and Paradiso (and Fuego), all of which were built based on the assumption they would be surrounded by clubs.

As for RFC, it is far removed from the clubs. Even T-Rex isn't that close, and in any case, it closes at 11 IIRC, I doubt the clubs get much business before 10 (probably opening at 9). Very little overlap in schedules here.

ETA: JT, by your logic, "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" should be a failure--you have no option BUT to walk past clubs with your kids to get in there. I'm shocked it's still in business!

menamechris

As for RFC, it is far removed from the clubs. Even T-Rex isn't that close, and in any case, it closes at 11 IIRC, I doubt the clubs get much business before 10 (probably opening at 9). Very little overlap in schedules here.

And I would probably eat there with friends before going to the clubs...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom