DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

jt04

This just makes it sound like you are believing your own imagination. Even if I was obsessed with Paradise Pier being an integral part of Downtown Disney, or just wanted to see a basic mall (both of which would be gross mischaracterizations), would not prevent me from knowing about rumors of future plans.

Which is still really nothing new. Using the term "carnival" only lowers the idea to the path already paved by others.

Paradise Pier is worked around attractions, not shopping and dinning. It is getting more, but its primary focus still seems to be set on the attractions. Add in Blue Sky Disney's rumored Gustav Tinkershmidt backstory, and that only pushes Paradise Pier further away from what you claim is Downtown Disney's future.

With 17 posts you have not earned the "insider" stamp of approval yet. I have said I am not an insider but I know enough to know DTD is not going out of business and it is in transition. It is all an academic exercise after that. And I have been consistent as to what I think it will be in the future. I stand by my prediction.

Lee

Adventurer
It might have been "thriving" in the eyes of the certain fans and patrons but as a business venture........total fail.
Again, not true.
According the the folks I have spoken to (who would be in a position to know) PI was quite financially successful prior to the opening up of the island and the implementation of the new price structure.
Any financial shortcomings came later, and as a result of these changes.
Even then, while the Island as a whole began to suffer money issues...some individual locations did not.:D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Nope, it would appear I don't give a flying ________ about the success or failure of an overpriced shopping centre or a third rate night club.

Its not been worth visiting for years.

jt04

Again, not true.
According the the folks I have spoken to (who would be in a position to know) PI was quite financially successful prior to the opening up of the island and the implementation of the new price structure.
Any financial shortcomings came later, and as a result of these changes.
Even then, while the Island as a whole began to suffer money issues...some individual locations did not.:D

You might want to talk to some folks who didn't actually work there or that were not personally tied to the place.

BTW, I still think Disney would lease out the AC building and be willing to negotiate a long term lease including some of the "intellectual property" to a venture with a decent business model. Just a hunch.

*crickets*

MKCP 1985

Pleasure Island was in trouble long before the gates came down. At some point, the crowds stopped coming. The masses just lost interest. The live bands played to empty courtyards. Dance floors inside certain clubs went empty and there was no energy on the streets outside.

Having seen Pleasure Island in its heyday of the early 90s, those sights were sad to behold.

here is a partial quote from my Easter, 2004, trip report:

MKCP 1985 said:
Pleasure Island was DEAD!!!! I could not believe how empty it was. I have never seen it so empty. When we crossed the bridge and came into the stage area, a rock band was playing to an empty courtyard. There may have been 20 people scattered in the area. It broke my heart, but maybe it was early and maybe the rain had kept people away.

We walked into the Adventurers’ Club, which was well attended. Every seat was taken in the main downstairs area, but there was plenty of room in the adjoining rooms and upstairs. A show was beginning in the mask room, so in we went and . . .

We checked out the other clubs (dead) then returned to the West Side and sat down for drinks at House of Blues where a big line started forming around 10:15 for some live band playing inside, so there was some excitement after all! At 11:00, we gathered the boys who absolutely loved the Disney Quest, and the girls who had a great time walking around spending their money at the record store. Because we had driven over, we were able to leave immediately and were back in our rooms by 11:30.

Lee

Adventurer
You might want to talk to some folks who didn't actually work there or that were not personally tied to the place.
The folks of which I speak were, and are currently, employed at TDA and WDI.
I'm not basing anything on front line CM or Club cast information.
BTW, I still think Disney would lease out the AC building and be willing to negotiate a long term lease including some of the "intellectual property" to a venture with a decent business model.
Once upon a time Disney had a decent business model. Then they got all stupid and changed it. Thus...failure.

MKCP 1985 said:
Having seen Pleasure Island in its heyday of the early 90s, those sights were sad to behold.
Exactly. It was booming....and they killed it. Plain and simple. It's like some one going in for an unneeded cosmetic procedure and dying from the anesthetic.:rolleyes:

jt04

The folks of which I speak were, and are currently, employed at TDA and WDI.
I'm not basing anything on front line CM or Club cast information.

Once upon a time Disney had a decent business model. Then they got all stupid and changed it. Thus...failure.

Exactly. It was booming....and they killed it. Plain and simple. It's like some one going in for an unneeded cosmetic procedure and dying from the anesthetic.:rolleyes:

It was a ghost town in the day time from day 1. It was strange to walk through there with the BGM playing.

Lee

Adventurer
It was a ghost town in the day time from day 1. It was strange to walk through there with the BGM playing.
Of course...it was a "night time entertainment district". PI was never meant to be bustling during the day.
Kinda like City Walk is now. The main pathway through to the parks there is full of guests going during the day, the side streets, where the clubs are....dead....until night.

lazyboy97o

With 17 posts you have not earned the "insider" stamp of approval yet. I have said I am not an insider but I know enough to know DTD is not going out of business and it is in transition. It is all an academic exercise after that. And I have been consistent as to what I think it will be in the future. I stand by my prediction.
I'm not exactly sure what my post count has to do with anything. I made no claims to be any sort of insider. You're the one insisting that Downtown Disney is in a specifically planned transition that is part of a plan to push it into some new concept. That does not come from an academic exercise (or even official discussions regarding the future of Downtown Disney after Pleasure Island). It is either coming from hopeful wishing or actually within the halls of Disney.

Obviously the area is in some sort of transition. Disney stated they were planing to transition towards more dining and shopping operated by third party vendors. I do not see evidence that Disney really wants all of these empty buildings just sitting there. It makes no sense.

71jason

Original Poster
The way I see it they are trying to finish a transformation of DTD before Flamingo Crossing is opened. When they first announced FC I thought it sounded a lot like DTD2. Call me an optimist, but I think they are in a phase at DTD that will eventually provide distinction between the 2 areas. I can easily see an adult area at FC that would re-create PI, closer to its original form.

I don't know how you equate "discount motels and restaurants" with DTD. If anything, assuming it gets built, FC will resemble Crossroads. Might be a Fridays with a bar, but that's the closest thing it will have to an "adult area." Every press release and piece of concept art points to this.

In any case, for the immediate future, having 50% of the storefronts from Raglan to Cirque empty is just bad show. Probably a dumb business move as well.

JT04, thanks for making me laugh on my birthday, seriously. You are definitely the funniest person I know.

Nothing to add to this, Capt. Michael, but love that cake. Happy Birthday!

jt04

So is Westside...especially now that Virgin is closed. For what reason would anyone go to Pleasure Island or Westside during the day?

Hence the "transition" phase we are talking about.

But my question remains, why don't some enterprising folks lease the AC building and negotiate with Disney for some of the show elements? If it is the gold mine you guys say I am sure Disney would be all for it since they would get a piece of the pie without doing anything :shrug:

EpcoTim

Thats why it's called nightlife.

Outside of the strip in Vegas, Bourbon St and Chicago on St Patty's day, I can't think of many large venues that attract large crowds of partiers and drinkers at lunch time.

jt04

I'm not exactly sure what my post count has to do with anything. I made no claims to be any sort of insider. You're the one insisting that Downtown Disney is in a specifically planned transition that is part of a plan to push it into some new concept. That does not come from an academic exercise (or even official discussions regarding the future of Downtown Disney after Pleasure Island). It is either coming from hopeful wishing or actually within the halls of Disney.

Obviously the area is in some sort of transition. Disney stated they were planing to transition towards more dining and shopping operated by third party vendors. I do not see evidence that Disney really wants all of these empty buildings just sitting there. It makes no sense.

That is the dirty little secret. They are not "just sitting there".

jt04

Thats why it's called nightlife.

Outside of the strip in Vegas, Bourbon St and Chicago on St Patty's day, I can't think of many large venues that attract large crowds of partiers and drinkers at lunch time.

Precisely why it was a total fail. No patrons, no revenue. Thanks for making my point.:)

jt04

Hence the "transition" phase we are talking about.

But my question remains, why don't some enterprising folks lease the AC building and negotiate with Disney for some of the show elements? If it is the gold mine you guys say I am sure Disney would be all for it since they would get a piece of the pie without doing anything :shrug:

*deafening crickets*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom