DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

Wouldn't it be something if Cirque didn't renew its contract?

1) The contract is very long term, and was renewed already.
2) Some terms
. . . Cirque gets the first 1/2 of all show tickets
. . . in case the house isn't sold out, Cirque still gets their due
. . . that is why WDW sometime discounts tickets so drastically
. . . Cirque gets 50% of all ticket sales revenue

jt04

That aim is really no different than that of any other mall. Every mall wishes to have "a diverse and unique selection of dinining, entertainment and shopping venues and all in an amazingly beautiful location." If a mall (or any type of shopping center, leisure center, lifestyle center, or one of the other made up names that are supposed to be more psychologically appealing) does not offer what you described it does not draw people away from other malls and does not typically fair well. Disney has big ticket items and expensive names, but many of them are still apart of chain operations. Just because it is better than what you have in your neighborhood does not change that is a mall. It fits the very definition. Mall does not need to be a crass term nor does it need to limit the appeal, quality and uniqueness of Disney's operations.

IF this is all really part of a big planned transition then somebody has some serious guts or a serious case of stupidity. This kind of emptying out is typically very detrimental. It kills off traffic flow, which hurts existing smaller shops and that scares potential new tenants.

Somebody needs to tell the folks at DCA because they are knee deep in a "kind of emptying out".

DTD will be more theme park than shopping mall. And last I checked the typical mall is not doing so well. DTD on the other hand seems to have weathered the storm and will thrive in the future. :cool:

wilsonhanks

Somebody needs to tell the folks at DCA because they are knee deep in a "kind of emptying out".

DTD will be more theme park than shopping mall. And last I checked the typical mall is not doing so well. DTD on the other hand seems to have weathered the storm and will thrive in the future. :cool:

So then you agree with my earlier post, DTD wants to become a higher class version on Old Town right?? :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

lazyboy97o

The parks are a different beast. Not only that, but there is no mass emptying out going on during the rebuild. The project is being done so as to prevent a mass emptying out of the park. The Sun Wheel closed for its repainting and new lighting, but is now back open as Mickey's Fun Wheel. King Triton's Carrousel of the Sea is closed for new paint and lights. The games closed but have reopened. The big E-Tickets have all remained open. The only attraction that is closed is Golden Dreams. Even the big closing and gutting of the main entrance may now be happening in phases, so as to minimize the closures.

I am not familiar with any indications of this grand transformation to which you keep referring. Even if Downtown Disney becomes more like Pleasure Island, with backstory and immersion, it is still not a park. Until it actually becomes a park with a fence, limited entry and a focus on attractions, it will still be a shopping center. The means by which shopping centers operate should not be tossed aside because it is Disney.

NMBC1993

I am not familiar with any indications of this grand transformation to which you keep referring.

Same here, at this point I don't think Disney has any idea what to with that place. If it does becoming some kind of Old Town or something I think I'd be scared given WDW's track record of new attractions. I mean look at that Stitch show:hurl:

jt04

The parks are a different beast. Not only that, but there is no mass emptying out going on during the rebuild. The project is being done so as to prevent a mass emptying out of the park. The Sun Wheel closed for its repainting and new lighting, but is now back open as Mickey's Fun Wheel. King Triton's Carrousel of the Sea is closed for new paint and lights. The games closed but have reopened. The big E-Tickets have all remained open. The only attraction that is closed is Golden Dreams. Even the big closing and gutting of the main entrance may now be happening in phases, so as to minimize the closures.

They are just warming up. But it works as an analogy. Again many features of version 1 will be nowhere to be seen on version 2. Just like DTD.

I am not familiar with any indications of this grand transformation to which you keep referring. Even if Downtown Disney becomes more like Pleasure Island, with backstory and immersion, it is still not a park. Until it actually becomes a park with a fence, limited entry and a focus on attractions, it will still be a shopping center. The means by which shopping centers operate should not be tossed aside because it is Disney.

I know your not familiar with any transformation. Perhaps you are like many who are frozen in "PI mode" and therefore can't forsee or imagine where they are going. Or maybe you just are not able to see outside the "mall" business model.

Disney will never lock the DTD concept into a backstory or single themed immersion again. I promise you they have learned from that mistake. All the yelling and foot stomping by the AC fans has only reinforced that. All the petitions etc. only reinforced why PI was poorly conceived from day 1.

DTD will be a hybrid. Instead of theme park/mall example, I should have said carnival/mall hybrid. It will be an eclectic mix thereby allowing the flexibility required in today's business world.

GothMickey

I know your not familiar with any transformation. Perhaps you are like many who are frozen in "PI mode" and therefore can't forsee or imagine where they are going. Or maybe you just are not able to see outside the "mall" business model.

Disney will never lock the DTD concept into a backstory or single themed immersion again. I promise you they have learned from that mistake. All the yelling and foot stomping by the AC fans has only reinforced that. All the petitions etc. only reinforced why PI was poorly conceived from day 1.

DTD will be a hybrid. Instead of theme park/mall example, I should have said carnival/mall hybrid. It will be an eclectic mix thereby allowing the flexibility required in today's business world.

Exactly what I said: PARADISE PIER!!!

NMBC1993

I promise you they have learned from that mistake. All the yelling and foot stomping by the AC fans has only reinforced that. All the petitions etc. only reinforced why PI was poorly conceived from day 1.

I totally agree. AC was such a failure! It was such a failure that when Disney decided to shut down PI guests still want to pay a large amount of money just to have events inside the club. Yes, no one cared for it and it was such a stain on Disney's record.

jt04

I totally agree. AC was such a failure! It was such a failure that when Disney decided to shut down PI guests still want to pay a large amount of money just to have events inside the club. Yes, no one cared for it and it was such a stain on Disney's record.

AC might succeed if they left it open, without having to be subsidized, if they added a hefty cover charge/admission. I think they should try it. Same with the Comedy Club, if they could stay PG rated and still fill the house. I have said over and over I would like to see those two venues remain as "stand alones" sans the PI concept.

But, overall it can only be said PI was poorly conceived and ultimately a failure. Sorry, I am very aware it is an emotional issue but that is the truth.

lazyboy97o

This just makes it sound like you are believing your own imagination. Even if I was obsessed with Paradise Pier being an integral part of Downtown Disney, or just wanted to see a basic mall (both of which would be gross mischaracterizations), would not prevent me from knowing about rumors of future plans.

Which is still really nothing new. Using the term "carnival" only lowers the idea to the path already paved by others.

Paradise Pier is worked around attractions, not shopping and dinning. It is getting more, but its primary focus still seems to be set on the attractions. Add in Blue Sky Disney's rumored Gustav Tinkershmidt backstory, and that only pushes Paradise Pier further away from what you claim is Downtown Disney's future.

hardcard

Sorry... but calling DTD a mall is a gross over-simplification of what DTD is..

"Entertainment Complex" is more like it....

DTD is not doomed, it's in a transformation period, and it'll been there before..

Regardless of how any 'feels' about it's popularity, it's quite packed every night.. especially weekends..

Lee

Adventurer
But, overall it can only be said PI was poorly conceived and ultimately a failure. Sorry, I am very aware it is an emotional issue but that is the truth.
Wrong. Just wrong.:rolleyes:
PI as conceived, and as it ran for the first 15 or so years of it's life, was a huge success, both thematically and financially.
It's only failures occurred when the gates were removed and it was opened up as just another part of DTD.
After that they killed the theme (which was wonderful) and forever damaged the ability for the clubs to generate the same amount of income with their altered pricing structures.
If they had just left it alone...it would still be open, and still be thriving.

Carnival?
No. As far as I know, there are no plans for any additional rides to be added to the area. It will remain the almighty "shopping and dining".

EpcotServo

Servo's Journal. September 27th, 2008.

Pleasure Island is afraid of me. I've seen it's true face.

The streets are extended gutters.

The gutters are all closed.

And when the overflow lot is empty, all the vermin will leave.

All the Managers and executives will look up and shout "Save it."

And I'll whisper...no.

Now Downtown Disney stands on the brink...staring down into bloody heck.

And all the sudden all the Blogs and Defenders of Mediocrity have nothing to say.

A Comedian's Warehouse died tonight.

Somebody out there knows why.

somebody knows...

SirGoofy

Servo's Journal. September 27th, 2008.

Pleasure Island is afraid of me. I've seen it's true face.

The streets are extended gutters.

The gutters are all closed.

And when the overflow lot is empty, all the vermin will leave.

All the Managers and executives will look up and shout "Save it."

And I'll whisper...no.

Now Downtown Disney stands on the brink...staring down into bloody heck.

And all the sudden all the Blogs and Defenders of Mediocrity have nothing to say.

A Comedian's Warehouse died tonight.

Somebody out there knows why.

somebody knows...

:sohappy:

Brilliant, Servo!

toolsnspools

The way I see it they are trying to finish a transformation of DTD before Flamingo Crossing is opened. When they first announced FC I thought it sounded a lot like DTD2. Call me an optimist, but I think they are in a phase at DTD that will eventually provide distinction between the 2 areas. I can easily see an adult area at FC that would re-create PI, closer to its original form.

jt04

Wrong. Just wrong.:rolleyes:
PI as conceived, and as it ran for the first 15 or so years of it's life, was a huge success, both thematically and financially.
It's only failures occurred when the gates were removed and it was opened up as just another part of DTD.
After that they killed the theme (which was wonderful) and forever damaged the ability for the clubs to generate the same amount of income with their altered pricing structures.
If they had just left it alone...it would still be open, and still be thriving.

Carnival?
No. As far as I know, there are no plans for any additional rides to be added to the area. It will remain the almighty "shopping and dining".

I've been there many times during it's "glory days" and also during the day it was the ghost town everyone now complains it is during the transition. :veryconfu

It might have been "thriving" in the eyes of the certain fans and patrons but as a business venture........total fail.

Carnival was used as a eupemism of sorts. I didn't literally mean a carnival :lol:

Although I could see them adding a ferris wheel and boardwalk games in the future as part of the mix. No e tickets, no thrill rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom