DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

nibblesandbits

It's not lazy, it's smart. Spoodles is just the start I think. Disney is an entertainment company not a restarant company. Disney is doing it's guests a favor by bringing in 3rd parties to run it's eateries. 3rd parties that are experts at what they do. :slurp:
True...but when you get 3rd party companies in, you loose a lot of control over your product. Disney is all about having control over what is done in their park and how they present themselves. (Or at least they used to be.)

I don't usually toss the "Walt" name around...but Walt did just about everything he could to ensure that the Disney company had control over WDW...just look at how he bought the land to place the parks on.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was kinda curious about that one...it didn't make any sense.
I posted these questions in that thread a while ago, but nothing came of it.:shrug::lol:

I don't usually toss the "Walt" name around...but Walt did just about everything he could to ensure that the Disney company had control over WDW...just look at how he bought the land to place the parks on.

Oh, the irony.:( Just look at the OLC and TDL/TDS. The exact oposite of what you are saying, yet they run their parks to hiiiigh standards. Much like ours once were. WDI is still used, but...

jt04

Thank you! Had the same thought, when I read the article!

Maybe its for their "Bold New Vision" With "Unique Shopping and Dining" :rolleyes:

...And hopefully AC is somewhere in that.:eek: I need to experience this thing.

Trust me you don't need to experience it, except the AC....perhaps. PI came off as some artificial plastic contrived event. They did all but yell at you, "HAVE FUN ALREADY!!!". Except to the drunk people who couldn't tell the difference anyway.:dazzle:

jt04

True...but when you get 3rd party companies in, you loose a lot of control over your product. Disney is all about having control over what is done in their park and how they present themselves. (Or at least they used to be.)

The "market" is very good at "control". If a 3rd party isn't performing the guests won't go. Similar to what happened to PI.

EPCOT Explorer

Trust me you don't need to experience it, except the AC....perhaps. PI came off as some artificial plastic contrived event. They did all but yell at you, "HAVE FUN ALREADY!!!". Except to the drunk people who couldn't tell the difference anyway.:dazzle:

I shall be the judge of that...;)

:D

SirGoofy

:lol:

Seriously, jt. You get more delusional every day.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Except to the drunk people who couldn't tell the difference anyway.:dazzle:

I never experienced that, but then maybe I never reached your level of inebriation.

I think you must have had a knock back from a Vodka jelly girl. :drevil:

Ill bring a microscope this year see if I can find these green shoots that your optimism is built on.

wdwfan100

Before I comment, could we please stop with the ridiculous and immature straw dog arguments? They are almost painful in their silliness.

Not trying to be silly or painful. The question still stands to this long non answer. Why would people disregard a tremendous family resort, for a comparably insignificant portion they never had to even see if they so chose?

Sorry but it is true. There was a Disney before Eisner that would have never considered something like PI. Not bashing Eisner, he got more right than wrong at WDW. But you probably don't know the pre-Eisner Disney.

I have been going to WDW for over 30 years. As I recall just before Eisner took over the Disney Company as a whole was in a great financial trouble and needed to be rescued. I certainly do not agree with all of Eisners moves, but he did succeed in returning the company to be a major player.

It existed and it had a massive fan base. But Eisner wanted to recreate Disney in his image. And he wanted Disney to offer a wider range of entertainment to appeal to a larger audience. The problem was he often alienated more people than he won over.

I do not believe that you can substantiate that Opinion. I would say that WDW in its current form has an enormous fan base also. I believe even more so than there was back in your "way back when" hay day. This is so because there was an appeal to a wider, audience. Thankfully.

The jury is out on how his ventures actually helped TWDC. I contend that if Disney had stayed true to Walt's vision the company would be smaller but the quality of it's products would be much better. WDW74 thinks the problem lies with current management but it really goes back to the divergence from it's founders ideals under Eisner.

I have been going to WDW for over 30 years. So while I am certain my knowledge pales in comparison to yours I do have some comparative insight. As I recall just before Eisner took over the Disney Company as a whole was in a great financial trouble and needed to be rescued. I certainly do not agree with all of Eisners moves, but he did succeed in returning the company to be a major player. PI was a success when it was ran as a business and not a liability. As for sticking with Walts original plan, let me say this. To the best of my knowledge Walt was not a prohibitionist. He would not of been against a place to have a beverage. I think it is also important to remember that Epcot would have been a community not a theme park, So just maybe a place to have a drink would have fit in even more than you think.

nibblesandbits

The "market" is very good at "control". If a 3rd party isn't performing the guests won't go. Similar to what happened to PI.
No...you still don't get it.

Yes...PI did die because of lack of attendance...HOWEVER...the only reason why there was lack of attendance was because of how Disney handled the clubs in the past 10 years...what with taking out the turnstyles and not doing a whole to towards updating the actual clubs.

What part of Disney is the one that did the killing don't you get?

I don't know what is so difficult to understand about the whole thing?

imagineer boy

I really think Disney should take some notes from Kansas City's Power and Light District. Its very popular and has a ton of original shops, resteraunts, and night clubs.

Or Lone Ranger(Clooney? Seriously? :hurl:)?

Actually, I don't believe Clooney has been confirmed just rumored. I hope they do go with someone else though.

It's not lazy, it's smart. Spoodles is just the start I think. Disney is an entertainment company not a restarant company. Disney is doing it's guests a favor by bringing in 3rd parties to run it's eateries. 3rd parties that are experts at what they do. :slurp:

The restaurant replacing Spoodles is Disney owned and operated. Read the press release.

EPCOT Explorer

No...you still don't get it.

Yes...PI did die because of lack of attendance...HOWEVER...the only reason why there was lack of attendance was because of how Disney handled the clubs in the past 10 years...what with taking out the turnstyles and not doing a whole to towards updating the actual clubs.

What part of Disney is the one that did the killing don't you get?

I don't know what is so difficult to understand about the whole thing?
I've been trying a EPCOT analogy...It's not working.:lol:
You most certainly do. Don't listen to our good friend JT:wave:
:eek:

Soon, I hope, right?;)

Captain Chaos

The restaurant replacing Spoodles is Disney owned and operated. Read the press release.

Just a snippet:

Celebrity chef Cat Cora is opening a new restaurant in the Walt Disney World Resort. This new Mediterranean-style family dining experience will be located at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort. The restaurant, to be owned and operated by Disney, is scheduled to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles. Cora said that the new restaurant will feature “time-honored recipes passed down from my ancestors, as well as my favorite Greek and Mediterranean dishes that my family loves.” This new dining spot will be called “Kouzzina by Cat Cora”, kouzinna being the Greek word for “kitchen”.

Hardly sounds like a 3rd party restaurant... So, who ever said this will be a
3rd party restaurant FAIL!!!!!

Captain Chaos

The change you refer to is replacing i venue with another, and as I remember it Spoodles had changed because according the Mouse managers Colonials couldnt handle exotic foods, mac and cheese or a burger were the limits.

The restaurant replacing SPoodles will be serving anything BUT mac and cheese and burgers... Where do you get your information from dude??

fascion216

i enjoyed walking through starbilia's very much... but i assume they did not have very many sales ... :shrug: your typical tourist doesnt come to WDW to drop a phat wad of ca$h on movie star's autographs ... :confused: We drop a load of ca$h to get character autographs! :sohappy:

lazyboy97o

That was Walt Disney's thinking too, then he changed his mind. Why? Because eating is still a part of the experience and entertainment.

WDW1974

What a funny thread ... I just wonder at what point the mods put it out of its misery.

I'm not one to censor at all, but really the discussion has nothing to do with the OP and has become largely one poster just stating whatever's on his mind, no matter how delusional. ... I've seen threads closed for far less here.

At the very least, since this has become a GENERAL discussion about DD and why PI closed, perhaps it should be moved, right JT?

Funny thing is when I finished with work and got back from a quick run for some errands I checked my email and there was one from the good people at ABD shilling ADULTS ONLY tours. I guess after alienating so many people, who used to be big Disney fans before Disney started meaning 'only if six-year-old Brittany will enjoy it', the company is quite desperate to get some of them back.

Anyway, I'll let you all get back to this ... I got better things to do.

Oh, and whomever said the DD McD's is closing should double check that ... it could indeed be possible, but someone told me that permits were taken out recently by McD's to do a substanial redo of that location. ... So, I really find it hard to believe that they are pulling out. If so, it's a bigger blow to Disney than it is to McD's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom